Awoo.

Origins

Tails didn't have a happy childhood. Known by his given name as Miles Prower, but referred to as Tails by his friends (if he had any), Tails has lived on his own without any parental guidance for as long as he could remember. Essentially, the poor kid is an orphan.

Tails' earliest days are documented as being a loner on Westside Island, where the events of Sonic 2 take place. Seen as a freak because of his two tails, as well as a bit of a nerd for his interest in technology and aviation, he was not a popular kid. This takes a toll on his confidence and shapes him into having little confidence, but never once damaging his love for tinkering with machines, nor his overall innocent demeanor. His loner status would be forever changed, however, one fateful day; the day he met Sonic the Hedgehog!

What about Coco Island? Or is that non-canon?

But anyways, nice topic biggrin.png

Tails has always been a firm favorite of mine. He's a fantastic character who deserves his fandom and whose position is frankly irreplaceable. His brotherly relationship with Sonic is hands down one of the most endearing aspects of the entire series to me personally. As a result, I've always believed and will always believe that Sonic X's writers were completely misguided with Chris Thorndike in so many areas. But I digress...

The only real issues I've ever taken with Tails' portrayals is Chronicles and Lost World and even in the latter my issues aren't particularly large since they're outshone by other aspects of that portrayal. I think the worst thing that afflicted Tails in SLW was the abruptness of his discontent and the way his contempt for Eggman was portrayed. The former was somewhat 'healed' though by Tails' complete acceptance of Sonic's apology and his dismissing of it as water under the bridge. But his contempt for Eggman seemed fairly arbitrary and perhaps a bit too bitter especially when you take into account that Tails has been established as having some measure of respect for Eggman's creations and ingenuity.

But as I said, for every instance of Tails acting uncharacteristic there were more instances of him being great. The showing of his selflessness for instance when he punted Sonic out of the way of the capsule was awesome and he has little quirks that are really quite funny such as his sass when the Zeti have captured him (His gesture when Zor stumbles in and states what everybody already knows was hysterical) and it's charming because it's as if some of Sonic has rubbed off on him laugh.png

Still, I think Adventure Tails is best Tails. It gives him the best character development and portrays the character very well.

So yeah, Tails is a truly great character in my view.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm going to assume the general gist of the OP is "TAILS IS AWESOME" so I'm just gonna skip it, too much reading.

Anyway, I won't lie, I was kind of neutral on Tails himself for the most part, but I did like his dynamic with Sonic enough to care about him. I grew a lot of respect for him in the Adventure series when he stepped up, its a shame he just kind of faded into the background afterward. 

Colors is a new take on the character for the most part, but its a refreshing one; he still maintains his independence and has grown enough to where he can talk with Sonic on equal footing, and even criticize him if he feels he's wrong. Lost World wasn't his finest hour, but for the most part I like what they're doing and hope to see more of him.

Also, RIP Kate Higgins....You were an angel to hear.

Don't know the details of this but did Kate really leave? And if so why?

Um... what?

Anyways, I don't really no if I can say anything that hasn't already been said. He's such a sweet natured, cute little kid early on in the series before getting his own independent personality in Sonic Adventure (although the later games started to forget that, that's how I like to imagine him).  I also like his personality becoming more witty and snarky with Sonic in Colors so I can buy the fact that they really do share a brotherly relationship with each other. 

The kid is also someone you wouldn't want to fuck with, his IQ is on the same level (if not possibly higher) than Eggman's, and he's always coming up with new inventions to help save the day. 

Out of all the Sonic characters, he's definitely one of the most useful and likeable, and is probably my favorite in the series, second to only Sonic himself.

Don't know the details of this but did Kate really leave? And if so why?

Relax relax, that's not true. Well, not yet. We don't know why she didn't play her role as Tails in Sonic Boom but it hasn't been confirmed whatever or not she isn't going to stop voicing as Tails. It's most likely she will play Tails in the main games, and not Boom.

Wha'choo talkin' 'bout Foo?!?

Seriously, where did that come from?

Relax relax, that's not true. Well, not yet. We don't know why she didn't play her role as Tails in Sonic Boom but it hasn't been confirmed whatever or not she isn't going to stop voicing as Tails. It's most likely she will play Tails in the main games, and not Boom.

About that....  link below, but she's not coming back, Colleen is her official new voice. There's no reason as to why yet, but I have a feeling it has to do with either Kate not coming back of her own accord, or some sort of issue with her being busy/pay disputes.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/438413726228574208

Loved reading this topic, brilliant work Indigo~ As for myself I love the little sidekick, probably moreso than Sonic honestly. Hopefully they continue to develop Sonic and Tails' brotherly bond as time progresses in future titles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Copy-pasting my last post from the Boom screenshot thread, since the discussion is apparently moving here:

Under the circumstances, it didn't really matter what Tails thought of Dr. Eggman. As far as they knew, the Extractor was something way out of Tails' league (the kid is good with machines, but he isn't Eggman-tier), and it was only near the end of the game that we learned it wasn't.

Except, there wasn't any indication that it was out of his league. Sonic may have assumed it, or he may have just thought that two geniuses is better than one, but Tails at least was pretty confident that he could handle it, and he was right.

And if Tails really didn't want to work with his nemesis, he could have just pulled Sonic aside to discuss the matter. He didn't have to publicly accuse Sonic of trusting Eggman more, or try to prove that he could handle Eggman's machines by merging Cubot with a badnik. Ultimately it was just unnecessary conflict for the sake of conflict, and made Tails seem more like an egotistical, whiny brat than anything else. I don't want Tails to be a sycophantic yes-man by any means, but Lost World's TINO went too far in the other direction.

See this is the thing, this is the mistake. "Should" Tails have calmly talked through his feelings with Sonic? Yes, that likely would have allowed them to solve the problem with a minimum of drama and hurt feelings. But that doesn't make for an interesting story, and it doesn't make for interesting characters. People, real people, do the "wrong" thing all the time because we're stupid, emotional, irrational creatures. We don't always talk things out. We bottle our emotions up, we end up snapping at people who maybe don't deserve it. Sometimes we hurt people without realizing it and we don't know what to do about it. 

And we need that in our characters, too. We parse everything through our fucked up, illogical human nature. And for a character to endure, for a character to feel real and human, they need to connect with our fucked up nature, they need to reflect our flaws, just the same as they reflect our successes. A character not acting perfectly logically isn't necessarily bad writing; it can be just the opposite, it can enhance them, it can make them more real, more vivid, more honest.

That's why I get so frustrated with this. Because for the first time in a long time they're actually trying to make these characters human, not just marketable archetypes, not just pawns in service of a "clever" story. Even with the story's flaws this is something that deserves to be acknowledged, but all I ever seem to hear is complaints that the characters act stupid, or like jerks, or "out of character".

• Thumbs Up 7

This was delicious. Good on my favorite character. Yeah, the more dormant Tails has been bothering me since Unleashed actually. Episode 2 was enjoyable just for the fact that Tails was running around with Sonic again. Tails' behavior in Lost World is actually sorta justified I think. I mean Sonic brings Eggman along to do some tech work. Like you said, Tails has been, for the most part, the techie guy of sorts.

I am Tails' number one fan of course, so no one else try to argue.

Also to quote myself from the Sonic Boom interview thingy:

Glad Tails' new actress sounds similar to Higgens, but the delivery sounded kind of forced in the little booth recording (which is usually what happens with voice doubles)

Of course I reserve judgement until we see a cutscene, everything else looks good as expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the moment I saw Tails in AOSTH to when he first appeared in Sonic 2, he's always been my favourite character. Tails is the courageous younger brother/best friend who will always be there for Sonic. No matter how bad the situation, Tails has always got his back and is the first guy to stand up to Eggman in Sonic's absence. Tails flying ability made him my favourite playable character in Sonic 3, and I long for the day that he becomes a solo playable character again.

Always so damn cute!

AOSTH_Baby_Tails_Trace_by_Cuddlesnowy.pn

• Thumbs Up 6

Fantastic OP! I felt everything went right with Tails character development. Starting off as someone who just followed Sonic as young child with little confidence, to someone who finally started to stand for himself and show confidence, and now to the point that he can consider himself on the same level as Sonic, and is using his tech abilities to further assist Sonic in their adventures. I never had a problem with Tails laying off on the action and becoming the tech guy either. Also, I'm glad that you mentioned him creation of T-Pup! 

Anyways, Tails is still one of my favorite characters in this series and always will be. In the past when he was playable (and I was younger), I really never thought much of Tails. I mean, I thought he was a cool character and whatnot, but I always just noticed Sonic more. Though, since I'm older and seeing how the stories in the games have been changing, I been noticing Tails more and more and been appreciating him more than I ever did. I also think that the Archie comics have played a big role on me appreciating Tails more as well. Also, I really just love seeing him and Sonic act like real brothers. 

I mean, seriously, I can't help but love how Sonic and Tails have little jabs at each other. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJh-fsz9e8

And of course this cutscene has to be mentioned. Showing that Tails has seen Sonic save the day multiple times, but never seen him speak to a pile of metal. laugh.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIDgJHYyrE

I also like how they act in the comics from time to time! 

maxresdefault.jpg

StH_253_Grinding_Vine.jpg

Archie_Combo.jpg

Wood_Zone_Archie.jpg

Well, that's all I have to say/show! Keep flying high, Tails! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Great topic! Very well done! biggrin.png

Simply put, Tails is absolutely adorable. He has some admirable qualities too, being intelligent, kind-hearted and extremely loyal to Sonic as a sidekick and best friend just to mention a few. I also think Tails portrays the "little brother" role very well. I've said this time and time again, but I really love the bromance between Sonic and Tails despite their differences, notably the 7-year (this may no longer be accurate after Sonic's birthday in Sonic Generations) age gap between them. Because of this one usually always associates the two of them together.

Nearly everything that I have thought of in the line of examples in the games has been mentioned so far, but I will mention this if I may: I thought that Sonic Colors had the best characterization of Tails. He definitely showed himself as the "little brother" in the brotherly rapport that Sonic and Tails have. Sonic was always cracking jokes at Tails, and Tails made a point to "flip the script" by making fun back at Sonic (the dead robot cutscene comes to mind) and tolerating none of his nonsense.

kz3T4.png?2690

When Dr. Eggman was about to fire his mind control ray at Sonic, Tails pushed him out of harm's way, and took the hit. Tails had no idea what the ray could do but without thinking about himself, he saved Sonic's life with the possibility of him dying if in fact that was the purpose of the ray. Tails immediately reacted being more concerned with Sonic's welfare than that of his own. That was both incredible and impressive showing me that Tails has a lot of heart and character. And of course Tails showed himself to be very smart by converting the Miles Electric into a translator and was able to tweak and adjust it to get down what Yakker was saying perfectly.

Now if Sonic Team would keep up this portrayal of Tails (in my opinion), that would be great. Not to mention make Tails fully playable in future Sonic games. But if nothing else, I wish that Sonic and Tails continue to be portrayed as best friends and their brotherly bond continues to shine as well.

Everything about Tails is adorable, even his concept art:

tails5.jpg

tails6.jpg

AEbBsJh.png?1

I absolutely love Tails. He is my second favorite character of all time next to Sonic. happy.png

I have a question: Are we talking about Tails in just the games alone or are we talking about Tails across all forms of media? If the latter applies, which would include the cartoons, I will definitely be back as I want to say more about this awesome little guy...smile.png

• Thumbs Up 9

Tails the greatest Sonic character ever. Period. 

He's intelligent

He's humble

He's loyal

He's kind

He's fast

He's strong

He's powerful

He's the best flyer

He's a technological expert

He's the ultimate pilot

He's Sonic's best friend

What more can I say?

• Thumbs Up 2

I can get behind the OP. I actually liked Lost World's story. I've heard complaints about being out of character, but I view it moreso as development.

In the case of Tails, in addition to what you mentioned, let's assume for a moment that he is in fact growing up slowly between games. He probably doesn't idolize Sonic as he used to and sees him as an ordinary (if cool) guy who happens to have pretty neat abilities. Of course he's going to get frustrated.

Never mind, he very likely could be entering some level of puberty (they never really clarified how biology works in the Sonicverse so I don't care if he's eight years old it could very well be happening that early), and as we know, that tends to bring rebellious attitudes. The childhood obedience to older people tends to break away at some point, and I think that's at play here.

So between the beginnings of teen rebellion, distrust of Eggman, and simply being as prone to irrational thoughts as we all are... it makes sense. Like Diogenes said, it's nice they actually wanted to experiment with Tails rather than make him the hero-worshipping boy genius. He's not Sonic's sidekick, he's his friend, which means he feels valued - Eggman getting involved naturally is a bit hurtful. Yes he could have pulled Sonic aside and voiced his discontent in a most eloquent fashion via going line by line over how this was a needless addition at best and bad idea at worst but how many people actually do that?

We may be denied development in the actual age of the characters, but I don't mind making it so they can still develop much like a real human being would in terms of personality. I want some or all of these characters to do stupid crap, the same way we do, and later reflect on it as being dumb.

I mean, to take the focus off Tails... how nice would it be for Knuckles to actually make at least one self-deprecating joke at how gullible he was when he was younger?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! :) Tails is the best there is for me than! I see a lot of myself in Tails! :) Always shy and always trying to show that he can do it. :) I am glad Tails is protected from the major changes that happens in Sonic games like Sonic Boom. Tails is my favorite character and he is orange with a touch of yellow for the newer games there! :)

I read somewhere that Tails should have say sorry to Sonic for his bratty attitude... well yes, he should have, but I also realized that Tails himself suffered the more damages because of his own behavior.

His "feeling useless" caused him to fix Cubot into a killer machine, he almost got kille, he felt the humiliation of being saved by Eggman, and he got scolded by a rarely seen angry Sonic (try to put yourself in Tails' shoes here: when your usually happy-go-lucky best friend gets angry at you, it's a really sad and traumatizing experience).

And (but this is a bit of a stretch) with the Cubot fiasco Tails managed to lose even more points in Sonic's eyes, resulting in Sonic ignoring him about the trap of the Zetis.

Maybe (this is an even more stretch) Tails actually wanted to apologize, but he forget everything when Sonic shows all of his happiness to have him back when he fools the Zetis with his robot costume. As Sonic runs after the villains, Tails makes a gesture that certainly means "go Sonic, kick their asses!" but I like to think that Tails is also elated to know that Sonic is no more angry at him.

So, yes, Tails should have said sorry, but when Sonic brofisted him and told him it was good to have him back, Tails realized there was no need anymore, because he was assured that Sonic already forgave him.

Tails the greatest Sonic character ever. Period. 

*list of qualities*

What more can I say?

What more could you say? You could explain why each of these qualities apply to Tails as this post is essentially a list as it is against the rules as it lacks discussion value. You are going to have to put more effort in your posts than this. In line with mentioning each quality that Tails has you should give at least a reason or two as to why it applies to him at the very least. I'm not saying write a long drawn-out paragraph every time you make a post but some effort needs to be put in all of your posts with at least a few sentences and thoughts in them like everyone else has done in the topic so far please. Thanks.
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was delicious. Good on my favorite character. Yeah, the more dormant Tails has been bothering me since Unleashed actually. Episode 2 was enjoyable just for the fact that Tails was running around with Sonic again. Tails' behavior in Lost World is actually sorta justified I think. I mean Sonic brings Eggman along to do some tech work. Like you said, Tails has been, for the most part, the techie guy of sorts.

I am Tails' number one fan of course, so no one else try to argue.

Also to quote myself from the Sonic Boom interview thingy:

I agree with all of this except the you being Tails' number one fan! But you can be in the top 10 fans for Tails! :) And also I am more like Tails! That list Sparky had almost describes me. He forgot to put is Shy. Anyway Tails is the best! :) I liked that he could fly in Sonic 3 and you could fly him around. I not know so many people has Tails as their favorite character or in their top favorite characters. Like my signature usually says Always Bet On TAILS! :) I like this topic it nice than! :)

Ok first off Tails is awesome, but we already know that.
Of course Tails is Sonic’s best friend and little brother, but I would say he has sidekick status as well.
I will agree he doesn't idolize Sonic as much as he used to, but I would not say he sees him as an ordinary. I think Tails now knows that Sonic is far from perfect but still admires him a lot.
Now Tails from Sonic X may be something else. Tails believed that Sonic could save Cosmo but Sonic could not. But there is no way to know what really happened between them after that.

First off, great post by Indigo Rush, showing off the history of our favourite two tailed fox. It summed up the changes over the years to Tails  character and his relationship with Sonic growing over the years. I have been enjoying his relationship with Sonic over the past few games )Colours, Generations, Lost World) and will be interested to see how his relationship is with the characters in Sonic Boom (both the game and the series). 

As you can tell I am a big fan of the character due to he would remind me a lot of myself, can be shy, is a loyal friend, loves his gadgets and is willing to stand up for his friends and be counted when he needs to

i find it sad that Tails, my fav game character, used to be bullied for his two tails, before he met Sonic. Thats just cruel of them to make fun of Tails! I hope that Sonic finds it in him to kill them if they ever see those stupid idiots. Poor Tails.