Awoo.

Nintendo is Killing Online Services for Wii, and DS.

Kuzu

I personally don't mind since I rarely, if ever use my DSi or Wii online. The only reason why is that my router hates my DSi and my Wii doesn't have too many online games.

Besides I just got my 3DS and I've been playing the hell out of it. I think at this point I'm just gonna keep my old systems for old times sake.

The DS is understandable, but I feel it's a bit too soon for the Wii, seeing how the games can be played on the Wii U as well.

This.

At least they're still keeping the online stores up, especially considering that Nintendo is taking their sweet-ass time to make VC games ("enhanced" or otherwise) available on the Wii U eShop.

Smash Bros Brawl really sucks online so I don't know why people are so upset about it going away.

MKWii on the other hand...*sniffle* I'm going to miss you. ;__;

We should totally have one last Brawl/MKWii tournament or something before it closes down, maybe just for funsies.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nooooooooo I still play Mario kart Wii online. There are still good enough people on that shit. At least wait for mario kart 8.

Omg lol, I loved mkw online.

What the fuck, Nintendo? I can get the DS but it's way too early for the Wii, especially when those games can be played on the Wii-U! How the hell am I supposed to play online Smash Bros/Project M now? As someone who still plays that a lot with friends, this decision makes me very angry. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We should totally have one last Brawl/MKWii tournament or something before it closes down, maybe just for funsies.

I'm down for mario kart Wii play session or something.

Edit: oh its coming down on May 20th. Not bad then. I still have lots of time to play online.

But what's pay and play?

Haha, bout time. Nintendo's shitty servers can't handle th-

*Rememebers all the fun times I had with MKwii online, Brawl online, MKDS online, Animal Crossing, Diddy Kong Racing, Metroid prime, Phantom Hourglass, along with all the third party games that had online*

D-doesn't matter....the online was shit anywa-

*All the games were pretty much my first real online interaction with other people*

Oh god! The memories are coming back! I-I gotta buy all these games again and play them before May 20th.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not like their was that many games I played too much of online on Wii and DS anyway, only Mario Kart on both systems interested me.

Unfortunately through, I ended up playing Online right around the time that hackers ran rampant with their blue shell spamming nonsense and everyone was abusing the hell out of cheap freaking Funky Kong, so I can't say my Online appearances were fun, if only I went online earlier before that chaos started.

Eh, I'm sure somebody somewhere will write a server emulator/find a different way to play these titles online down the road. They did it for one of my favorite PS2 titles, Amplitude, after the pull was plugged on it's online capabilities, so I don't see why somebody with the right about of interest in such a venture couldn't pull it off.

But, in the grand scheme of things, these games are old anyway. The likelihood of a respectable number of people actually continuing to make use of these services well into 2014 in the face of the next generation consoles is quite slim. I have a really rough time of it these days finding people to play some of my favorite titles that are even a year old, much less half a decade or more. I'll be honest, I never really liked Nintendo's approach to online in the first place; so much so that I avoided online play in many of my favorite titles because I couldn't be assed to deal with hunting down friend codes.

MK8 and SSB4 will effectively surmount the two most popular titles for the Wii's online play.

On a semi-related note? Do you know what I miss?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

These.

I know they weren't life-changing games or services or anything, but one of the best things about the Wii was the "homey" feel it had. You turned on the Wii, and you could check the news, see what kind of weather we're having, vote on silly things and look at other Miis people made for a contest.

It was gimmicky, definitely, but they were fun. Tell me you didn't have fun scrolling that giant globe around in the Forecast Channel to see what the weather was like on the other side of the world. They basically made checking the weather a fun experience. Same for the News Channel.

Nintendo getting rid of those services made me pretty sad. I do hope they bring it back, and maybe even integrate Miiverse into some of them. How fun would it be to have discussions over the "Everybody Votes Channel?" Maybe not that fun, but it's one of those little extra things that Nintendo would do to make things a bit more enjoyable.

Definitely the Everybody Votes Channel had its novelty.

I gotta admit, while I don't use the DS or Wii online services anymore, it was really my first experience with online gaming. When I got my original DS a long time ago, we didn't even have DSL at my house yet, so I would always beg my parents to go to McDonalds because they were the only place that had a hotspot that worked on the DS. That first time I was sitting in McDonalds and got put in an online matchmaking game was so awesome to me. It's gonna be sad to see it go, but progress is inevitable I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Wii has been unplugged for quite a while now, so while I'm sad and took for granted that these services "would always be there" for me to one day go back to, the reality is this won't affect much.

The only thing I wish they had done was add a downloadable patch for Mario Kart Wii that let you play the Competition Mode freely.  It was basically DS' Mission Mode but you could only ever play the current event one.  I only ever got to play a boss battle once.

Originally I was bothered but I honesty can't say I still use the online features fire any of these games.

Besides, we'll get private server clients soon enough to replace the WFC, and all will be well

What a bummer...

Online was the only way I played Brawl...

The only way I would play Mario Kart Wii, and I just got it...

And the only other way I would play Mario Strikers Charged...

If the online feature is gonna be terminated, I can't see myself playing those games as frequently as I did.

Bummer.. I always fired up Brawl when I'm bored.

Yeah, the online was terrible, but you get what you pay for.

Well crap, looks like all my Wii will be used for after the deadline is NetFlix sad.png

As for the DS.. R.I.P Mario Kart DS, you had bloody awesome online play.. way better than that dreadful MKWii

Nintendo's version of DLC.. except instead of downloading extra content you paid to have extras already on the disc unlocked.. I think Samba De Amigo had it (red wi-fi logo on the box instead of the blue one)

As if the other consoles didn't have DLC already on the disc :V. Also, Rock Band was part of the service and the songs in that weren't on the disc.

I can only echo the sentiments of everyone else. I haven't played online for...probably over a year, but I think of games like Pokemon Black/White 2, that aren't that old really, with no more online play. True, X and Y have replaced those, but only if you have the 3DS. Maybe a more gradual switch-off would have been better rather than all at once (especially as other sequels, like MK 8 and SB4 aren't even out yet).

I'd be interested in a tournament, dependent on schedule.

This makes me worry for the inevitable outcry when the PS3/360 servers get switched off for the PS4/One...