Awoo.

Batman: Arkham Knight "No one knows what it's like... TO FIX THE BATMAN!"

Badnik Mechanic

Angry Joe's review.

I thought Gamespot had the worse review, but wow. Joe really did surpass them this time.

He gives it a 6/10. His biggest issues? The tank gameplay, and the story not being as good as City, and Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight. That's it. 

This review really pissed me off. Joe doesn't actually review the game for what it is most of the time, but rather what he wants. He states that all Batman gameplay is refined and better.  But that doesn't make him happy? He makes a complaint about Batman pulling off takedowns quickly, despite that being a mechanic since City.

He complains about civilians not being present, which isn't important, and would take away from the seriousness of the story, he complains about no co-op, despite the Arkham gameplay really not being built for Co-Op. That's about it. The problem you can guess? He doesn't judge what the game actually has, aka the amount of detail in the game. But rather, he complains about what he wishes was in the game.

He also exaggerates the Batmobile gameplay, trying to claim it takes up about 50 or 60% of the game, which is bullshit. There's a lot of sequences with it, but the majority of time is Batman being Batman and using the Batmobile as a tool for puzzles.

Lately, I've been disliking Angry Joe more and more between the fact he barely does reviews anymore, is only doing paid promotional shit, and then claiming he's the gamers person, fighting against the big bad companies when in reality, he's turned into a hypocrite who accepts all these paid promotions and gifts from developers. But this review just was really really terrible.

• Thumbs Up 3

He gives it a 6/10. His biggest issues? The tank gameplay, and the story not being as good as City, and Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight. That's it.

This review really pissed me off. Joe doesn't actually review the game for what it is most of the time, but rather what he wants. He states that all Batman gameplay is refined and better. But that doesn't make him happy? He makes a complaint about Batman pulling off takedowns quickly, despite that being a mechanic since City.

He complains about civilians not being present, which isn't important, and would take away from the seriousness of the story, he complains about no co-op, despite the Arkham gameplay really not being built for Co-Op. That's about it. The problem you can guess? He doesn't judge what the game actually has, aka the amount of detail in the game. But rather, he complains about what he wishes was in the game.

He also exaggerates the Batmobile gameplay, trying to claim it takes up about 50 or 60% of the game, which is bullshit. There's a lot of sequences with it, but the majority of time is Batman being Batman and using the Batmobile as a tool for puzzles.

Okay, let me get something straight here. If a game has a big emphasis on something, and someone doesn't like it, it can really hurt the game for him/her. And the game has an emphasis on the Batmobile. In fact, I saw a let's play from Knightwing01, and he said he felt there was too much Batmoblie stuff in the game. (It's at 14:47) (He also mentioned that most of the challenge came from the tank battles at one point too.) And I've read that the emphasis on the Batmobile was a complaint in some of the reviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxIlxTtOZs

Okay, let me get something straight here. If a game has a big emphasis on something, and someone doesn't like it, it can really hurt the game for him/her. And the game has an emphasis on the Batmobile. In fact, I saw a let's play from Knightwing01, and he said he felt there was too much Batmoblie stuff in the game. (It's at 14:47) (He also mentioned that most of the challenge came from the tank battles at one point too.) And I've read that the emphasis on the Batmobile was a complaint in some of the reviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxIlxTtOZs

It's a valid complaint, but Angry Joe exaggerates it completely. I've played this game 100% through and through story mode, I'd say at most it's 30%. Certainly not 50 or 60% as Joe is trying to claim

I concur with Nightwing. There IS indeed a lot of Batmobile usage which is shared between - tank battles, puzzle element and remote controlled canon fodder. Which estimates to 30% usage in the Story. Any other usage of the Batmobile is entirely up to the player for free roaming and side missions. 

It's certainly no where near as bad as some people are making it out to be. For me personally, I felt there were too many tank battles and sometimes too many tanks in a single battle. But why oh why is no one praising the fact you start the story with some of the abilities you gained in Arkham City? 

• Thumbs Up 2

I would argue that more than 30% of the game requires the Batmobile use, in fact there's not one aspect in the game that doesn't require the Batmobile at least once.

You have the bombs which can only be taken out with the Batmobile.

Some of the Militia points can only be taken out with the Batmobile when you find a way into the zones.

Riddler challenges all require the Batmobile in some form

Riddler trophies of various description require the power winch, the scan feature, the engine rev, the super eject and the 90mm cannon.

AR Challenges use the Batmobile

Cobra tank encounters.

Hydra's can only be taken out with the 90mm cannon.

APC's can only be taken out by the Batmobile's pursuit mode.

Chasing down Firefly requires the Batmobile to keep up

Then there's all the times you use it in the story, including the very end and fighting the cloudburst. 

If you ask me, it's clear as day that Rocksteady built the game around the Batmobile as one of the main gameplay features since they utilize it so much.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it's enough to deter some people who are used to Arkham City's "strictly solo Batman solves everything himself" approach.

My main beef with the game was the lack of Detective stuff, there's the serial killer side mission and that one time early on in the story, but besides that Batman barely uses his detective vision to solve problems.

• Thumbs Up 6

Batman: The Killing Joke to get an animated adaption:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/07/10/batman-the-killing-joke-gets-an-animated-adaptation

Mark Hamill has always said he would love to voice the Joker again if they ever did an animated adaption of the Killing Joke. Here's hoping he does.

The part of the Killing Joke which they showed in Arkham Knight (when Joker shoots Barbara Gordon) was very well done. [\spoler]

• Thumbs Up 1

So, um... I just encountered the best glitch ever regarding one of the side missions...

I was in the middle of fighting Slade (when you have to take down his tank with a few cobra tanks surrounding him) when I lost control of the batmobile. For a couple of seconds it just kept backing up until the entire map glitched and I found myself falling while the screen got a bit pixelated. I thought my PS4 had fucked up on me when the animation for Slade getting into the batmobile started to play over some water. As soon as the animation ended the batmobile fell into the water but then it spawned me right back on the map as if I had just defeated him and he was in my car. Needless to say, I didn't even have to go through the trouble of fighting him at all. XD

I don't know what caused it but I'm certainly not complaining. It's too bad I didn't get the recording as the sharing option on my ps4 glitched up at the time as well. I hope this happens to someone else who is able to capture it in someway. That way we could figure out what the hell happened. Could be useful for speed running or something. I swear I thought it was scarecrow at first.

The same thing happened to me, luckily I was able to upload it. 

https://youtu.be/ZOAkMCZowXA

Calling Deathstroke "Slade" just brings up the creepy stuff from that Teen Titans show. 

And from rom what ice seen, if you hundred percent the game you're in or using the batmobile for like 70% of it, bouncing along on its dumb suspension, brake discs springing to light if you so much as touch them. 

The he core gameplay loop of the batmobile' turret car mode looks poorly thought out, why are these things able to pick a target and then not able to track it?  Such an odd mechanic. 

And now batman is just able to have a 90mm gun and everyone is fine with it?  

The evacuated gotham scenario is such a cop out, not even funny. Gotta get all the people out so you aren't mowing people down saints row style blundering about in the batmobile. 

To be fair evacuating Gotham because of a possible nuclear fallout isn't really a cop out lol. I do like how even when Batman is trudging along in his car, that Luicus stuck to Batman's "no killing" rule and fitted the Batmobile with an electrified field that incapacitates people who touch the car, sending them flying off in a burst of electric shock.

The fact there's not one single civilian that missed the evacuation during the procedure to save besides cops, firefighters and story/side centric characters is such an unrealistic reality though. You can't 100% evacuate a fucking city and expect everyone to get out besides the cities finest and criminals, come on Warner Bros.  

I feel a lot of the game just went by too fast, all of the side villains have such little screen time and are piss easy to take out, Slade was just a carbon copy of the cloudburst and you don't even get to fight him hand-to-hand, ugh.

I do love how you have to take each villain to GCPD Lock up in person though, that was cool. So was the little exchange each character has during the journey there haha. Some small details like coming out of GCPD and seeing the guards looking/taking selfies with the batmobile though are hilarious. "oh crap guys he's back! W-We didn't touch anything we swear!" really makes you feel immersed in the Batman verse.

It's a cop out when they've pretty obviously done so to not have to bother programming civilians or having to design around them and everything about how and why it took place in universe is unrealistic. 

Run someone down full speed and they're unlikely to survive, electric field or no. 

There'll be some bullshit explanation that Batman's Batmobile doesn't actually run people over, like the wheels will move to avoid bodies or some shit, they always ass pull with this series.

But I still disagree, a nuclear fallout is a good enough reason story-wise to issue a reason for lack of civilians around, but if you read my post above I commented on absolutely NO civilians at all is such a stupid, unrealistic thought.

besides

Scarecrow said the fallout from the fear toxin bomb and cloudburst would still kill everyone in Gotham who escaped anyway due to it's blast radius so really it was to just cut down on game development since they had so much hassle integrating the Batmobile into the game to begin with.

So yeah, I enjoyed my time with it so I'm not complaining.

The same thing happened to me, luckily I was able to upload it. 

https://youtu.be/ZOAkMCZowXA

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what happened to me. XD

It's a cop out when they've pretty obviously done so to not have to bother programming civilians or having to design around them and everything about how and why it took place in universe is unrealistic. 

Run someone down full speed and they're unlikely to survive, electric field or no. 

*cough*TheydidthesamethinginArkhamCity*cough*

But honestly though, I just can't understand this argument. People are arguing about why it's suddenly ok for the Batmobile to have guns (which isn't even a new concept in itself) and how on earth that section of Gotham was evacuated so quickly while I'm just over hear wondering how the hell batman can take all those Gs while grappling up that quickly to the roof.

Seriously though, this is the DC universe. Where people can run around the world in 5 seconds and kids can suddenly become lighting gods. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the big deal in people just being knocked out when they get shocked away from a car or get hit by a rubber bullet. Hell, at least they try to explain it.

This is a game about a comic book super hero... you're going to need to suspend your disbelief at some point. :/

Also, to add on to what Ryan was saying about Joe's review, there have been multiple reviewers in the same party who only dislike the Batmoblile in the later sections and have gone on to say that they quite enjoyed it during the more early on segments. Those later sections obviously being the battles with cobras and bigger tanks. To be quite honest, Joe seemed incredibly off in this review. Overlooking his unstructured thoughts on the batmoblie, he just claimed a lot of feelings that were either contradicting his thoughts on City, completely subjective (story), or just utterly false. I understood that his review for this game was going to be low due to his rant on the pc version but it just felt like he tried to legitimize his bias by trying to claim facts, which (for anyone who has actually played the game) were 90% just hot air. His hurt attitude from the PC version was clearly visible throughout this. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be mad about it, but when that anger merged into his actual views of the base game on another system, it just turned the review into an unprofessional piece of waste in my book.

Also, on a similar note, I've noticed that a lot of people who have noted trouble with the Batmobile actually never really leveled it up as they were more focused on the combat. The people who ended up liking it were the ones who usually spent points on it's upgrades. Just an interesting trend I've seen really.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, on a similar note, I've noticed that a lot of people who have noted trouble with the Batmobile actually never really leveled it up as they were more focused on the combat. The people who ended up liking it were the ones who usually spent points on it's upgrades. Just an interesting trend I've seen really.

Agreed.

I've now 100%d Arkham Knight on Easy, Easy - New Game Plus, Normal and on Normal - New Game Plus (over 130 hours playing....). The first thing I did in my second, third and fourth playthroughs was to upgrade all of the bat-mobile's weapons straightaway, and then start upgrading Batman's combat abilities later on. This makes the drone-tank fighting much easier. It's essential to do this especially in New Game Plus, because the tank battles - especially in the side-mission where you have to beat waves of them before you can destroy the bombs in the ground - are otherwise an absolute nightmare. The missions where you have to fight 48 tanks are a world of frustration unless you come prepared. It's a massive help if you start those fights with your weapon fully charged (all four green bars full). I find the EM-blast very effective. It also makes a difference which bat-mobile upgrades you request from Lucius Fox. Yeah, the tank fighting kind of drags, and around the 70% mark of the main storthere is far too much, but once you know the right kind of strategy and have the right upgrades it's much easier.

I like the Batmobile gameplay. It's fun blasting through Gotham. The races - especially the Riddler ones - are exciting. Yes, the bat-mobile is overused, but I admire how creative you get to be with it. 

Note that the difficulty setting for New Game-Plus mode on Easy and Normal is exactly the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game. I will say, I HATE that they focus on the new aspect of using the Batmobile so much, when the new team-up aspect and team takedowns are so much more fun! Without going into story spoilers, over halfway through the game you play as both Batman and Robin together for about 45 minutes and it's GLORIOUS! Easily my favorite part of the game and it's barely used at all for most of the game with Batman doing his incredibly stupid "I must work alone" shtick despite being against overwhelming odds.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game. I will say, I HATE that they focus on the new aspect of using the Batmobile so much, when the new team-up aspect and team takedowns are so much more fun! Without going into story spoilers, over halfway through the game you play as both Batman and Robin together for about 45 minutes and it's GLORIOUS! Easily my favorite part of the game and it's barely used at all for most of the game with Batman doing his incredibly stupid "I must work alone" shtick despite being against overwhelming odds.

It's used more in side missions. In the Penguin side mission, you get a whole chunk of missions involving working with Nightwing for 4 out of the 5 missions. The Riddler side missions also has Batman teaming up with Catwoman, including an entire boss battle vs Riddler if you collect all the Riddler trophies.

DLC content for August revealed:

Warner Bros. has revealed the DLC content coming to PS4 and Xbox One versions in August.

Unlike the recently-released Batgirl DLC, the rest of Arkham Knight's DLC is being created by Rocksteady Studios. Two new DLC bundles are coming to Season Pass holders in August:

1989 Batmobile with Batman Skin

• 1989 Movie Batmobile Pack:  Battle through the streets of Gotham City with this pack that includes the Batman skin and Batmobile from the 1989 Batman film, as well as two tracks inspired by the film’s sequel.
  • The Bat-family Skins Pack:  Included in this pack are six character skins based on the alternate timelines - - 1990s Catwoman, One Year Later Robin, Arkham Origins Batman, Iconic Grey & Black Batman, 1970s Batman and the Original Arkham Nightwing.

Bat-Family Skin Pack

Other key details for the season pass include playing as Batman in new story missions, featuring “legendary super-villains invading Gotham City,” as well as more story missions for Batman’s supporting cast. Expect for more information on them in the coming weeks.

Apparently there's also another story dlc coming; where you will be able to play as Catwoman, Robin or Nightwing.

Just started playing the Batgirl dlc. The Robin in this dlc is Tim Drake and not Dick Grayson.

Edited by BenderTheBatman

NIGHTWING. 

Being honest though, Rocksteady need to patch in a option to play as these characters in free roam. There's not much point of having alternative skins for them when they can only be used in certain missions in the regular game. You can't even specifically choose them for AR Challenges.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dat Burton Batsuit. I'll probably end up getting a ps4 whenever the ps5 is out. There'll probably be a Game of the Year edition with all the doc by that point.

I think I'll pick up this season pass once it's a bit cheaper. Hopefully they'll be an offer down the line - I like having alternate costumes but there's not enough story DLC for me to fork out THAT amount for.

Just beat the Batgirl dlc. It's pretty fun. Batgirl looks and play just as good as Batman.

UVU3nBE.jpg

The story is; Batgirl and Robin (Tim Drake, who clearly likes her) infiltrate the Seagate Amusment Park to rescue Commissioner Gordon.

Once you reach the park you have four sets of hostages to rescue, which you can do in any order you like. After rescuing some of the hostages you then need to defuse bombs. The hacking device is needed quite a bit. There's plenty of combat, lots of enemies to fight. You have at least five dual-play encounters with Robin. Joker teases you through some televisions.

In the final boss, you fight thugs, the Joker and Harley Quinn all together. It's decent. The ending isn't much; they save Commissioner Gordon and Joker escapes.

9RFKxPd.jpg

There are optional Joker teeth, balloons and Jack-in-the boxes to destroy. There's also Amusement games you can play, that if you win reveal some interesting info, such as a bit about Harley Quinn's backstory. 

It's perfectly polished, although disappointingly it only takes a about an hour to beat. Much longer than the Harley Quinn dlc, but much shorter than Arkham Origins Cold Cold Heart dlc (also made by WB Montreal) which is at least two and a half hours long.

Below is a quote from a Destructoid article pretty much sums it up:

Warner Bros. is really employing an odd strategy with Batman: Arkham Knight's post-launch content and the relatively expensive $40 Season Pass. All that's been revealed so far beyond a bunch of throwaway content (skins, races) is a handful of bite-sized episodes such as this; it's a far cry from the competent Cold, Cold Heart add-on for Arkham Origins last year. While A Matter of Family may be worth it for hardcore Batgirl fans, WB will have to do a lot better than this to justify the cost of the pass. 

It's short and sweet.

Edited by BenderTheBatman

I really enjoyed this game. I really felt Joe's review was exagerated. What I really felt it was more needed was more dual gameplay since I enjoyed those momentos a lot.

Now I HAVE a few errands left and then Knightfall time

I take every review with a grain of salt, because it's based on a single person's view of a game...It's hard to go off of that alone to see if you'll like it or not, I normally check out reviews if I'm unsure of a purchase. I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to games and tend to get a game I like the looks of regardless of it's scores in reviews or on metacritic i.e. Sonic Boom, Duke Nukem Forever, Sonic Heroes etc. I always get my money's worth out of my games and if I don't? I just trade them in and cut my losses.

Games are a gamble? Something may look AMAZING to you but when you play it, you'll hate it (Sonic Lost World for me is a huge glaring example) I respect people's views on what they think because it's interesting to see how divisive our thoughts can be through discussion. 

Some people will love it and love the new Batmobile gameplay, other's will hate it and not welcome the new shift in gameplay focus and will probably be making their return to Arkham City HD later this year for their true Batman experience, I fall under the latter because I thought the Batmobile was fucking awesome personally. 

What I don't think is worth getting is the add-on DLC stories and costumes, I think Rocksteady and WB are just fleecing the franchise at this point, definitely don't see why I should pay for small pieces of story DLC which I'll get 2 hours out of at the most.

• Thumbs Up 1