Awoo.

Batman: Arkham Knight "No one knows what it's like... TO FIX THE BATMAN!"

Badnik Mechanic

I'm also very likely to get the game again! Especially since I traded in City a while back yet still have every other title. 

Though, gutted about the lack of Origins/Origins: Blackgate. Since I enjoyed both. The former being one of my favourite titles. But I suppose Rocksteady aren't responsible to fix any glitches that might transfer over with the origins port. And it's not part of their 'core trilogy'. 

I almost want a PS4 so I can get the HD collection.  Graphics don't make a game, but it's hard to deny that a story-driven game is certainly a much better experience when not playing on a console that makes it look like slightly above average PlayStation 1 game.

5 hours ago, Tara said:

I almost want a PS4 so I can get the HD collection.  Graphics don't make a game, but it's hard to deny that a story-driven game is certainly a much better experience when not playing on a console that makes it look like slightly above average PlayStation 1 game.

Plus there's the fact it'll very likely be in 60fps, knowing Rocksteady.

• 3 weeks later...

Still no official confirmation but there have been some more leaks, so it's all but confirmed we're getting a PS4/Xb1 release of Asylum and City. No Origins by the looks of things.

The official box art of Batman: Return To Arkham has been leaked via WB Games Italian Magazine.

batman-return-to-arkham-box-art.jpg

GameStop Italy has also listed a product page for Batman: Return to Arkham HD Collection with a June 10, 2016 release date.

Come on WB, announce it already!

I was initially against getting any sort of collection when it was first leaked. Then shelf space turned into a concern.

That said, there have been bad remasters in the past, so I'll hang on to my PS3 copies for a little longer, at least. If the ports are good, I'll consider giving Asylum and City to someone, but I'm gonna wait either way.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like July is going to be quite the month for Bat fans. Along with Batman: Return to Arkham and Batman: The Killing Joke releasing, it appears we are getting a GOTY edition of Arkham Knight.

A Game of The Year edition of Arkham Knight may soon be on the way, as a premature listing by an online retailer has seemingly outed the title.

According to Amazon Germany, Batman: Arkham Knight - Game of the Year Edition will launch this July for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The listing does not indicate a release for PC.

Warner Bros. has yet to formally announce a GOTY Edition, so we'll have to wait for confirmation from the publisher before saying it's official.

arkham knight

Cool, I guess. It should include all the dlc. Whether there will be any additional content which would make it worth buying remains to be seen. Also, this would be an opportunity to release a decent PC version but doesn't look likely.

kinda hoping this is true simply because then once I get a ps4 I can just snag this copy of the game (though still  wondering if the ps4 exclusive stuff is still only ps4) personally for most of the dlc I didn't mind but the fact that the main game seemed incomplete  and the season pass was 40$  didn't impress me at all (since my gaming pc died trying to be batman arkham knight pc compatible I'll likely wait till I get a ps4 to finally try the game out ._.)

Rumor: New Batman game in development

It’s been an interesting 12 or 13 months for Batman, hasn’t it? Arkham Knight was praised for looking and performing well on consoles, but was nothing short of a disaster on PC. The Batman vs. Superman film was finally released and… well, let’s just leave it at that. The long rumored Batman: Return to Arkham has been confirmed for both Xbox One and PS4, but with buzz of both Superman and Spider-Man games underway, some feared the final nails were being hammered in the Arkham-verse’s coffin. But those anxious to see their favorite crusader with pointy rubber ‘ears’ may be happy to hear their patience could be rewarded with not one, but TWO new games. 

Before I continue, I’d like to let everyone know that the following information should be treated strictly as rumor. I know and trust my source, and while this information was reported to him/her in August, things are always subject to change. That said, here’s what they found out:

There is, indeed, a new Batman game in development, and there’s a twist: The story takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the primary protagonist is actually the original Batman’s son. The city will not only be bigger, but will actually show more signs of Gotham’s population than ever before, meaning the ‘city has been evacuated’ plot thread is being left by the wayside (which is smart, because my primary concern with the latter Arkham games is just how empty and lifeless the world feels). The story will also not unfold in the span of a single night (day and night cycles, perhaps?). It’s unknown if the Batmobile will be playable, but it’s said we’ll have access to the Batcycle. As you progress throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to upgrade the Batcave. The biggest question of all is, “Who’s developing this game?” This, unfortunately, was not mentioned. Personally, I don’t believe Rocksteady will be behind it. With enough money being offered it’s certainly possible, but Rocksteady have already expressed a desire to move on. 

The second game reportedly follows the Suicide Squad. No surprise considering a feature film is due for release in 2016, but there’s no further information about what this game will feature, or even what stage of development it’s in.

I, and my source, know how the internet reacts to rumors, so they’re willing to vet themselves to well-established media outlets upon request. Contact information is available in the ‘About Byte-Size Impressions’ tab at the top of the site. 

So, are you guys ready for more Batman (or Batman’s son, or whoever), or is enough, enough already?

Yep this is a rumor so probably is rubbish.

I'd be happy with another Batman, even if it's playing as his son Damian aka from Batman Beyond. Would be interesting to see what they could do with the formula to keep it fresh without alienating fans like when they introduced the overused Batmobile in Arkham Knight.

I like the idea of a Suicide Squad game - taking place after the events of Arkham Origin - which seems more likely.

EDIT: Yeah I meant Terry from Batman Beyond not Damian.

20 minutes ago, JenScreePrimal said:

Rumor: New Batman game in development

Yep this is a rumor so probably is rubbish.

I'd be happy with another Batman, even if it's playing as his son Damian aka from Batman Beyond. Would be interesting to see what they could do with the formula to keep it fresh without alienating fans like when they introduced the overused Batmobile in Arkham Knight.

I like the idea of a Suicide Squad game - taking place after the events of Arkham Origin - which seems more likely.

Damian is Batman's son from the comics, born from him and Talia. Aka, one of the most annoying Batman characters to date due to being an egotistical asshole who thinks he's leagues above everyone else. So if it's Damian, I really hope not.

It could potentially be Terry from Batman Beyond, who would be a far better choice.

Well the GOTY edition was all but inevitable really. They're going after the crowd that's about to get the "remastered" Arkham games who may have skipped out on AK the first time around. Honestly, if they were to ever right the wrongs that they made with the PC version, now would be the time. Though, I highly doubt it due simply to how much of a mess the code seemed to be for the game in general. Don't get me wrong. I still love AK but the more I play it, the more those rumors that RS were just unprepared for this generation of hardware just seems more apparent. It's a testament to how good of a development studio they are to have the console version that good anyway, but the game does seem to have nothing but duct tape underneath the hood. Though, if they were to come out and say something like: "Hey, here's the GOTY edition. It is coming to the PC. We've heard the feedback from the previous release and deeply apologize. This version has been reworked from the ground up for top performance. For those who already own AK on the PC, you will receive a free download of the GOTY edition." I'd give WB some major props. Again, that has a 1% chance of ever happening (hell, I doubt they'll even mention a pc version of this to begin with... probably more along the lines of a discount on the DLC if anything) but stranger things have happened I guess.

In regards to a new Batman game... well, I'm always down for another one. The only problem I can see with them going with the Beyond timeline is that the potential villains would be cut down significantly. Seeing as these games live on their rouge gallery, it might not be the best option. At least with a Damian story ark it would probably mean for some very interesting plot details on what happens to Gotham after AK. Who knows, it may even make for an interesting take on Damian as they'd have to make him somewhat likeable for the plot to work. Hell, it would also fit perfectly with that Ra's Al Ghul mission in that last AK DLC.

But it's all just speculation really. Hopefully we'll get some confirmations at E3. Though, the way companies have been pulling out this year... there's a likely hood that we might not see anything at all. I mean, I don't think a Batman game has ever been announced at E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I can't seem to find the answer on Google, so I was wondering if anyone could help me here.  I'm having a problem with Arkham City.  Long story short, some textures don't appear or disappear under certain circumstances (such as the camera facing a certain way).  For example, the Detective Vision doesn't show any enemies unless I'm facing a very specific direction.  The ice texture that shows up around enemies when they are frozen with an ice grenade flickers on and off.  I can't see enemies through glass windows, and things like that.  Hair textures are the most conspicuously impacted.

X3mpJTq.jpg

Um, yikes?!

eudik6Y.jpg

Nightwing is really pissed that his mom made him cut his hair.

nDpPm5Q.jpg

This guy's like "Come on, Batman, I was just kidding!  God, don't take it so seriously!"

h9Nn7OO.jpg

This man is hugging his imaginary girlfriend and imagining bragging about it to the other guys.

h1IZkJO.jpg

This man just walked in on his mother in the shower.

pQwccpy.jpg

These windowpanes should have glass.

xwY56Mk.jpg

This man just wants someone to give him a hug =(

Another problem being the symbols that appear when enemies can be countered don't appear, despite them being set to appear.  This only recently started happening.

But yeah, I can't find a solution anywhere.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as it's quite annoying.

Things I've already tried:

-Verifying the game's cache.

-Reinstalling the game.

-Changing the graphics settings

-Cursing and screaming.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Tara said:

So I can't seem to find the answer on Google, so I was wondering if anyone could help me here.  I'm having a problem with Arkham City.  Long story short, some textures don't appear or disappear under certain circumstances (such as the camera facing a certain way).  For example, the Detective Vision doesn't show any enemies unless I'm facing a very specific direction.  The ice texture that shows up around enemies when they are frozen with an ice grenade flickers on and off.  I can't see enemies through glass windows, and things like that.  Hair textures are the most conspicuously impacted.

X3mpJTq.jpg

Um, yikes?!

eudik6Y.jpg

Nightwing is really pissed that his mom made him cut his hair.

nDpPm5Q.jpg

This guy's like "Come on, Batman, I was just kidding!  God, don't take it so seriously!"

h9Nn7OO.jpg

This man is hugging his imaginary girlfriend and imagining bragging about it to the other guys.

h1IZkJO.jpg

This man just walked in on his mother in the shower.

pQwccpy.jpg

These windowpanes should have glass.

xwY56Mk.jpg

This man just wants someone to give him a hug =(

Another problem being the symbols that appear when enemies can be countered don't appear, despite them being set to appear.  This only recently started happening.

But yeah, I can't find a solution anywhere.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as it's quite annoying.

Things I've already tried:

-Verifying the game's cache.

-Reinstalling the game.

-Changing the graphics settings

-Cursing and screaming.

Nightwing right now:

tumblr_mibxirYdPz1rwjutzo1_500.gif

To be honest, Harley's the worst. She looks downright creepy like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

i remembered something like that kept happening for me when i was playing origins but these glitches never happened last time i played arkham city on pc so i'm not sure how to help you there

Holy shit, that Harley. XD

This is honestly the first time I've ever seen glitches like this in City. The game is often known for being the most stable of the bunch too.

Might I ask what specs you're using? Specifically your gpu? The game is getting up their in years but if the gpu is old enough it just might not recognize some of the data trying to be rendered. The game was pretty demanding for a while and uses Nvidia Works for things like hair. Some of the old cards just might not be able to handle that. Also, I'd recommend checking to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your gpu.

This or if you have an AMD card then that might be your answer too. Nvidia Works is notorious for not playing well with those cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Holy shit, that Harley. XD

This is honestly the first time I've ever seen glitches like this in City. The game is often known for being the most stable of the bunch too.

Might I ask what specs you're using? Specifically your gpu? The game is getting up their in years but if the gpu is old enough it just might not recognize some of the data trying to be rendered. The game was pretty demanding for a while and uses Nvidia Works for things like hair. Some of the old cards just might not be able to handle that. Also, I'd recommend checking to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your gpu.

This or if you have an AMD card then that might be your answer too. Nvidia Works is notorious for not playing well with those cards.

The GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 4400, which isn't a gaming GPU at all, but it's never had problems running Arkham City before this.

A quick google seems to hint either at some DirectX 11 compatibility issue or overheating. There's apparently a fix for DX11 with Batman in particular, so that may do the trick. 

25 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

A quick google seems to hint either at some DirectX 11 compatibility issue or overheating. There's apparently a fix for DX11 with Batman in particular, so that may do the trick. 

The DirectX issues from what I see appear to only impact framerate.  Haven't found any issues stemming from that which echo mine.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's possible through use of a glitch to get back to Arkham Asylum in Free Roam, Similar to Arkham City.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder how much snooping around with random stuff is required to discover these glitches.

I'm probably in the minority that I don't mind the Batmobile in this game. It's very useful for navigation. However, in the missions, it may be a little overused, but I can't get past that.

• 2 months later...

I didn't feel it warranted its own hread, but I thought I'd take a moment to talk about the newly-released Batman: Arkham VR.There are some good things to say about it.  The voice acting is great as usual, with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprising their roles as Batman and the Joker respectively.  The dialogue is expertly written, with the Joker's lines being up to his usual standard of messed up and funny.  Also, there's actually some legitimately humorous moments in the game, which is something I feel they haven't really focused on since Arkham Asylum.

Spoiler

For example, the scene in which the Batcomputer lists off crimes the Joker has committed, including some really ludicrous ones such as "enthusiastic manslaughter," "unlicensed dental practice," and "littering," was really funny, and I felt there definitely needed to be more of that in the overall series.

The presentation is also absolutely beautiful, with Gotham looking perhaps the best it has ever looked.  I wish we could play in an actual game of this,  with people, and streets that aren't flooded or dilapitated.  I feel like my ideal Batman game would basically be Lego Batman 2 in terms of hub worlds, mission layout, and character variety, but with the aesthetics, voice acting, and plot of the Arkham series.  But such is life, we never got to play the Arkham game where we get to be part of Batman's night-to-night life so... sad. =c

Anyway, I think humor and presentation is the main high point of the game, but the rest sort of falls flat.

Can't speak for the gameplay since I haven't actually PLAYED it, but from just the walkthrough I watched on YouTube, it seemed kind of confusing.  Nothing seemed like it was really conveyed in a sense that was logical and orderly.  Narratively, the rest of the game follows suit.

The game can't seem to decide whether or not Batman is supposed to be a silent protagonist a la Gordon Freeman.  I understand that this may be a decision so that you "feel like you are Batman" since it's virtual reality and whatnot, but the inconsistency makes it jarring.  I also don't feel like Batman works well as the silent protagonist type, because he has a long history of, you know, talking.  Being as story-heavy as the games are, thoughts and feelings from the protagonist would most certainly be nothing but beneficial.

Speaking of feelings, I feel like the game portrays Batman as... kind of cold and distant, to be honest.  Like, of course he's always a little bit cold.  He's Batman, but...

Spoiler

Seeing Nightwing "dead" should have been a lot more dramatic.  This is a person he raised as a son.  The fact that he takes it pretty much in stride, giving himself no time to grieve or anything just... decidedly does not seem like the right reaction to me.  Especially given the fact that (as Alfred points out in the beginning of the game), Batman constantly reminds himself of how he failed with Jason Todd.

Beyond that, I feel like the game is just needlessly cruel and just puts the player through a series of unpleasant things mostly for shock value, which while a problem in its own right, wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they didn't deliver the story by throwing every horror movie cliche in the book by the book.  Oh no with the green eyes and the writing on the wall is written in blood and your reflection is actually the bad guy and the inception and the ugh.  It's extremely predictable in what it tries to accomplish.

Spoiler

The creepiest moment isn't even particularly plot-relevant.  It's a little easter egg when you visit Arkham and can peak into the Ventriloquist's cell, and each time you do, Scarface is in a different position, despite the Ventriloquist himself being absent.  It's a bit of a cliche in its own right, but being relegated to a subtle background note makes a lot more interesting than the in-your-face over-the-top horror fest that the main plot attempts to accomplish.

And as much as I love Mark Hamill, I'm just a tad sick of the Joker.  I wouldn't mind him if they had something genuinely different to do with him each time, but it's always this same "two sides of the same coin" rhetoric that was interesting at first but has since become pretentious.  Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad if this weren't released the same year as the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke, where we basically affirm that Batman is not the Joker and isn't constantly teetering on the edge of mental insanity and isn't one step away from becoming just like the Joker.  I also understand that the circumstances are different this time, given that Batman is injected with the Joker's infected blood (as seen in Arkham City and coming into full fruition in Arkham Knight), but this was highlighted more than well enough in the main games.  We didn't really need a midquel to tell us all this again.

Basically, I just feel like this entire experience was a beautifully-made, well-acted waste of time.  Perhaps that's all it was intended to be, but it's not exactly something that could make me consider getting a PlayStation VR unit, let alone a PS4 in the first place.

• 1 month later...

Rumors have surfaced again about a possible Batman "Damian Wayne" Arkham game and Suicide Squad game leaked by WB Games Montreal through some promotional and recruitment videos:

If this is true then hopefully there will be an announcement next month at Playstation Experience.

On 10/16/2016 at 4:50 AM, Tara said:

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing Nightwing "dead" should have been a lot more dramatic.  This is a person he raised as a son.  The fact that he takes it pretty much in stride, giving himself no time to grieve or anything just... decidedly does not seem like the right reaction to me.  Especially given the fact that (as Alfred points out in the beginning of the game), Batman constantly reminds himself of how he failed with Jason Todd.

Y'know, re-reading this, and having finally gotten around to watching some of Batman VR...

Yeah, I have to agree. Batman VR feels like an overall cash-in for me, and you guys know how much of a Arkham fan I am and generally enjoy what the series gives out, not counting DLC from Knight. However, this overall was a disappointing mess, and there's so many reasons as to why I feel that. First off, it feels like the game has absolutely no rhyme or reason to even be included in the Arkham-verse story wise. The only things we really get is story hints to the major twist of Arkham Knight, and that's about it.

Spoiler

The story doesn't even want to offer the player a solid conclusion despite the fact that it is now the final Rocksteady entry in the Arkham series, and it ruins whatever good will that Knight's conclusion gave. We just get Batman in Arkham, and he looks and he's Joker now, and he went on a murdering rampage against our fan favourite characters and oooo scary, and oooo two sides of the one coin oooooo!

It's heartbreaking to have that finale with so much effort, and being the literal boiling point of everything that was built up mechanic-wise in the Arkham series being removed off the finale throne for VR, which is basically just a Batman walking simulator. I'm cynical in regards to the concept of VR anyway, because I feel that there isn't enough variation that could be present because the majority of games we've gotten is just either rail shooters, driving, or walking simulators, and that kind of sucks. VR interested me as a Batman fan because I'd love to interact with the Batcave and everything, but after one 40 minute playthrough, what other reason would I even have to replay the game? Especially when the story sucks hard anyway?

But the biggest middle finger is definitely his reactions to Robin and Nightwing, who are two of my most favourite Bat-Family characters.

Spoiler

It's no surprise to anyone that two of my favourite moments in Arkham Knight was Batman's responses to Nightwing, specifically the parts where he talks to Dick like a real father would. He tells him how proud he is, that he's grown into his own hero, and moved past Batman's shadow. He talks about how he's gonna be fine and able to protect Bludheaven, and Nightwing just can't accept the thought of Bruce leaving. Despite his wise-ass remarks, and Tim's remarks as well that Batman is a pain in the ass, they see him as a real father, and they can't bare the thought of losing him. It's even boosted by the final message he gives Alfred when they discuss that side mission, with Batman telling him that the victory was Nightwing's as well, and how he became such a great fighter. 

That's why the thing, the single thing that fucking broke the story of VR for me? Nightwing's death, and similarly, Tim Drake's death. This was absolutely fucking disgusting. How dare you Rocksteady. How dare you go to this fucking extreme to make this game edgy. I share Tara's sentiment of getting fucking sick and tired of this whole runaround of the "OH, BATMAN AND JOKER, TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN, BATMAN'S INSANE, THAT'S ORIGINAL AND EDGY RITE GUYS!?". Knight had some of it, but at least, at *least* they showed that Batman wasn't that at points, that he still cared for his comrades, that despite how hard he was on them, he still has a great amount of respect, love, and pride in their growth as heroes, and people for overcoming their tragedies, and yet, not to quote the Nostalgia Critic here, but you had the balls to insist that Batman would be brainwashed by the Joker into not only killing both Nightwing, and Tim Drake, but you even had him not even react.

You can't even use the nightmare symbolic meaning, and the Joker infection as an excuse. It was clear throughout the entire investigation that Bruce was in the one in control of the dream right until the very end. To see Batman not only not give a shit to seeing the child he raised for years being killed, but also having no reaction to seeing Tim Drake die right in front of him?! How fucking far has Batman got to go out of character before these people are satisfied with simple "ugh, batman isn't a complex character, it's just brooding and him and joker being two sides of the one coin right guys".  

The real irony? I was expecting Batman VR to give me some good Batman story and characterization while Telltale Batman I was expecting to be subpar. Telltale's Batman is in fact one of my favourite versions of the character now for being such a damn fresh take on him, as well as giving both Bruce and Batman a snarker attitude, and finally bringing back the side of Batman that can tone down the grumpy, aggressive bullshit in order to better sympathize with people, and it works so well into making events in that game leave a huge impact for all of the right reasons, unlike this waste of story.

• Thumbs Up 2

In general, I don't feel like the Arkham games (though I've not played Knight) treat the side characters very well aside from maybe Catwoman (although Arkham Catwoman is probably my least favorite version of her because of her constant innuendos that are devoid of any amount of clever wordplay and comedic timing).  In addition to not being playable in the main story (although the tag team system in Knight does make them technically playable), Robin is gone from Arkham City the moment he arrives.  Gordon's role in the series prior to Origins and Knight (though his role in the former isn't much better) is either damsel in distress (psst, it's a joke; I know that's not the proper word when referring to a male captive) or virtually non-existent.

I mean, the Arkham games do so many things right.  The gameplay, the graphics, the music, the voice acting.  It's probably one of the few pieces of Batman material, in a sea of recent material that try to make Batman more modern, tactical, and realistic, that preserves the crazy eccentricities of the characters.  But their treatment of any character that isn't Batman or the Joker leaves a lot to be desired. (Though, that is to say, their take on the Riddler in Arkham City is by far one of the best)

Although Telltale's Batman is not the best take on Batman I've ever seen, I have to echo that it captures the interesting facets and nuances that make these characters so likable a lot more than the Arkham games do.  Of course, they have yet to (and probably won't for now) introduce sidekicks like Robin, but they definitely do a much better job painting the characters with depth and three-dimensional characters, as opposed to putting Punchy McBeatemup in a batsuit.

• Thumbs Up 3