Awoo.

Is Professor Gerald Robotnik the original Robotnik?

The Chairman Of The Board

Hello everyone this topic is about Professor Gerald being the original Robotnik from the classic Genesis games.  I know everyone is thinking that i'm saying Sonic is over 50 years old but that is wrong i'm saying that Classic Sonic is Modern Sonic's Grandfather. It makes sense because in Sonic Adventure Robotnik is now Dr. Eggman and Sonic is now Modern Sonic.  My theory is because Classic Sonic and Professor Gerald died before Dr. Eggman and Modern Sonic were born.  Dr. Eggman was only told about his grandfather and never met him and Modern Sonic never knew about his grandfather Classic Sonic that's why in Generations Sonic just thought Classic Sonic was a younger version of himself.  That goes for all the other characters like Knuckles,Tails,Amy ect.  And just a little fact to make this more true there is a pin from 1992 with Robotnik on it and it says Professor Robotnik.  What do you think do you agree with me??

No because Sonic Adventure 1 happened. And Sonic Generations confirmed they're the same guy.

• Thumbs Up 3

No he's no-DAMMIT HOG >:[

Oh well, if he were, then Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy would have to be around 70.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does this topic belong in chit chat? Seems more like a Sonic Discussion if anything. Also, I doubt it unless Sonic is actually in his 60s.

It's simply not the case. Robotnik has always been Eggman in Japan, you can even see the name on parts of Wing Fortress in Sonic 2. There's no unmentioned 50 year fast-forward to near-identical descendants; the Robotnik of Sonic 1 is the same guy as the Eggman of Sonic Adventure, and likewise for everyone else.

Unless Sonic is an ageless immortal being, I don't see how its possible.

To elaborate, basically Gerald is an old man and Eggman was indeed a man in the original games I doubt that a lot of years past that fast. Not to mention Sonic himself would be pretty old unless like I said ageless and immortal.

He is technically the "original" Robotnik in a sense that he's our Robotnik's grandfather but he's not our original Robotnik.

I said that Classic Sonic is Modern Sonic's grandfather they are not the same person

I said that Classic Sonic is Modern Sonic's grandfather they are not the same person

Do you have proof of that though?

How am I suppose to believe that Classic and Modern Sonic are not the same except one's aged more than the other.

Do you have proof of that though?

How am I suppose to believe that Classic and Modern Sonic are not the same except one's aged more than the other.

I said it was a theory not a fact

Thing is, it's a pretty terrible theory when;

A: There are no grounds for it.

B: Everything in the games completely contradicts it.

This is purely fanon, not a theory. And as that it's perfectly fine. But it's not even vaguely the case in the games.

• Thumbs Up 7

-Beginning of Amy's story in SA1, she recollects the events of Sonic CD.

-Metal Sonic, especially in Heroes.

Also, Gerald was never actually evil, the reason Gerald even worked on the ARK and eventually created Shadow was because he was contracted by the goverment. He had a research team and everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

So uh... Where is old Sonic then? We had Classic Sonic in Generations but they acknowledge that Modern and Classic are the same character.

Theories are nice and can be fun at times but this theory seems silly. I mean the series has a consistent continuity for the most part. Sonic Adventure 1 pretty much blows up this theory with Amy remembering CD and Sonic saying that Eggman tricked Knuckles again like how he did in Sonic 3.

But its nice to see some discussion around here.

Gerald has been dead for 50 years, Sonic being 15 directly contradicts this. Why are people still even considering this theory? What, do we have to start using time travel to even remotely justify it?

Theories need to have a some kind of basis and need to be 100% sure that there is nothing that may contradict the theory before there can be any questioning, studying, researching, etc.

This theory was dead the moment it was conceived.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's absolutely no proof to confirm your theory and several pieces of proof to discredit it so....nah, he's definitely not a the original Robotnik.

It's an interesting idea I guess but yeah....it's just not the case.

Related to this though...

I sometimes considered Gerald and Shadow to be a play off the Kintobor origin story, if you know what I mean. In the early promotional material, Kintobor becomes Robotnik during an experiment that also created Sonic. Kinda like Gerald creating Shadow before going insane. It's an interesting parallel, like maybe that was an inspiration you know?

• Thumbs Up 1

No, because Robotnik looks up to his grandfather as an idol and lives in pure atavism. Also, it has been stated that Gerald is his grandfather and is not named Ivo Robotnik.

I don't think we could elaborate any more on this topic, so perhaps a suggestion for a thread lock from the mods?

• Thumbs Up 1

While I always entertained the idea that Gerald is one in many of a line of great scientists who defected to the United Federation during a Cold War-esque era in Sonic Earth's (this is why I prefer Mobius as a planet name) history, that's not what this topic is about.

An interesting theory, but easily debunked enough for the Generations and Adventure reasons that have been stated.

Ah, this misconception again.  Classic Eggman =/= Gerald Robotnik.  Classic Eggman is simply a younger Modern Eggman and Gerald is his grand-father.  Sonic's mad scientist antagonist has always been called Eggman in Japan, as evidenced by the name being printed on the airship Wing Fortress Zone in Sonic 2 and the name not being changed in-game for the English localization of Sonic Drift 2, plus the Japanese manuals all say Eggman.

When Sonic Adventure came along, Sega of Japan decided that it would be wise to have a unified canon for all regions since Sonic games from then on would have extensive story-telling; so SoJ forced SoA to change the name back to Eggman.  The whole "Eggman is a nickname Sonic called him that he adopted" explanation only exists in the English dub of Sonic Adventure as a way of easing the Western audience into the name Eggman. Then when Sonic Adventure 2 came out, they took off the training wheels and he's been Eggman everywhere since.

Hope that helps!

Woah, I'm having some major 2001 flashbacks...

Interesting addition of Classic Sonic being Modern Sonic's grandfather. That's a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just tell you all this I thought of this theory before Generations came out

Ahhh! Then if that's the case then it would still be questionable but not as ridiculous as it sounds now. 

No it was still pretty clearly wrong even then. People have been proposing this since SA2 came out and the evidence has always been against it.

Let me just tell you all this I thought of this theory before Generations came out

...And that only makes it slightly less ridiculous.