Awoo.

Downward Spiral of Characterization and Plot

Sapphire

9 hours ago, Signmeup said:

Didn't read every post here cause my god they're walls of text... But from what I've read, and I'm not sure it was ever addressed, there's a lot of praise for SLW's characterizations and ugh... It's almost physically pains that we've come so far in this broken mess of a franchise that we can praise something like that.

If you dig through my minimal post history, you'd see I think SLW is a pretty underrated game and can be pretty fun at times, so it's not that I have anything against it. But man... I simply cannot in good faith say it's characterization was good. it was pathetic... You can't just flip a character's tone 180° out of nowhere like they did with that stupid Eggman cutscene and with the whole tails getting jealous stuff. Just because it broke the "Sonic Colors&Gens" mold doesn't make it good. It's not about things happening for the sake of happening, it's always always been about execution, and SLW's execution was a dreadful and sad wet fart attempt at trying to be "serious" or having "characterization". It's just as bad of an approach. It's something I think the franchise should never ever look back at foldly, cause if we... Hooo boy we'll just be burying ourself in further complacency and pathetic writing.

And while we are at it, for the love god I hope they don't use supporting characters like they did in Forces... Knuckles pretending to be a military leader and Amy looking up readings and data is just nonsense. Not only does it completely and utterly have no commonality with their already established characters and doesn't build on anything we know about them, but you can literally put just about any other character or a random npc in their place and it would not have mattered.

They could have literally used CaptainHatMustache the Animal in those situations, but they decided to use those extant characters in a desperate attempt at developing them after years of them being Minnie Mouse and Squidward. All the while Boom decided to enrich them differently. 

7 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

They could have literally used CaptainHatMustache the Animal in those situations, but they decided to use those extant characters in a desperate attempt at developing them after years of them being Minnie Mouse and Squidward. All the while Boom decided to enrich them differently. 

CaptainHatMustache?  

So even before the release of Rise of Lyric were people complaining about the tone, characterization and plot. I wonder if people were complaining about them even when they were new, even when everyone else was going "what do you mean? Baldy Nosehair is the peak of comedy!"

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BadBehavior said:

So even before the release of Rise of Lyric were people complaining about the tone, characterization and plot. I wonder if people were complaining about them even when they were new, even when everyone else was going "what do you mean? Baldy Nosehair is the peak of comedy!"

The people who hate Colors now have always hated it, they were just drowned out by the praise the games were receiving. It's only recently that said voices are becoming more vocal as people are becoming more critical towards the game.

In other words, the same thing that happened to the Adventure games is happening to Colors right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

CaptainHatMustache?  

That captain guy we see briefly in Sonic Forces. @Razule came up with that name for him. 

On 9/23/2020 at 3:02 AM, iambitter21 said:

I can't bring myself to read ANY of chariots post, they're atrocious.

Who is that?

On 9/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, Miles Storzillo said:

CaptainHatMustache?  

There's a commander/captain NPC in one or two in-game cutscenes of Forces

On 3/4/2014 at 9:01 PM, Unknownlight said:

For almost all of the series up to Colors, Sonic has been consistently portrayed as an introvert who's faking extraversion. Now he's just an extravert.

This isn't exactly how i would put it but i get what you mean.  Sonic is portrayed as more of a fish out of water, so to speak in past games, like he's behaving to the beat of his own drum. He was also a bit more of a dork.

You got the impression that a lot of the bravado was in fact bravado, and that he is able to be doen to earth when needed. Whereas in newer games he legititmately feels like a douche that doesnt care about whats going on. Theres a lack of depth and sincerity to the character.

Does that sound about right?