Awoo.

Sonic is underrated

Rey Skywalker-Ren

But Sonic IS overlooked. People dont take his heroics seriously people dont take his kindess seriously. Even if you dont like the guy, you cant say that hes not heroic or he doesnt care. I dont like Shadow but i know that hes very heroic. I dont like Amy but i cant deny she cares and has a heart. This isnt about getting people to like him, not everyones going to like him. I just want people to see that hes just as sweet kind caring and selfless as the other character and sometimes even more depending on the situation.

People have opinions, deal with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't see this. If I watch a video or read a topic about someone's favorite Sonic characters, most of the time, Sonic is their favorite, or at least a close second. Of course, this does not apply to all people, not by any means, but that's always what I tend to come across.

I've also never seen anyone say that Sonic's heroics or kindness don't show as much as the other characters, more like the opposite. Like someone else said, I've seen lots of people hate Sonic's friends, and just want the games to have Sonic.

It comes from the fact that whenever they are evoked, they are just a way to make your own opinion seem more universal (as in "backed by a timeless law") than it is. Heck, most of the time the targeted majority doesn't even exist.

I'm not sure how going against a perceived consensus is somehow making your opinion more universal. I more see the opposite when people seriously appeal to majority and say "Well, your opinion's all well and good, but it doesn't matter because most people think differently." I've gotten too much of that shit talking about the modern games.

Fair enough that some majorities don't exist in a traditional sense, but I don't think that's a blow to my point. If there's a consensus anywhere, people will inevitably argue against it regardless of its size or relevancy. See: People still bitching about SA2 in this day and age as being overrated. Again, this is fair to do.

As for how this pertains to Sonic the character, I don't think he's underrated on a particularly widespread level, but I do think people give him a hard time here for his personality and acts while holding up others for either similar writing or comparatively worse feats, which I'm not sure says as much about our expectations of Sonic as it does an unintentional lack of faith in other characters. For example, regardless of Sonic's heroics, no one really uses them as examples that he's at least an interesting character. He has to become bumbling to be interesting. Meanwhile, Eggman pushes Tails out of the way- in the now-known context that he never gave a damn about the partnership on an ethical level anyway- and it's another feather in the cap of his supposed complexity. I personally feel the characters- at least the ones being used- are being written with the same amount of depth, but I can't accurately sense if there's any celebration of that when it comes to examining the cast individually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic isn't underrated. You're just misrepresenting the fanbase. 

You say you haven't seen people praising Sonic's personality? You just haven't been looking hard enough.

You act like Sonic being underrated is a fact. It isn't. You're wrong. I've seen enough praise for the skill and complexity of Sonic's personality on this very forum to know you're wrong.

Like these two topics I found after a brief search:

Besides you're assertion that Sonic is underrated because his popularity comes from gameplay, doesn't hold water. It doesn't matter why people like him, he's still the most popular character in the franchise by a longshot. Coupled with the fact that people may have unconscious reasons for why they like the character- I mean most people don't spend time analysing why they like things, they just like things. 

People have opinions, deal with it.

No shit people have opinions. Are you going to discuss the subject at hand in good faith or just act like a dick?

• Thumbs Up 5

The fans. If you look there are people who take Sonics hankie wish the wrong way. And then there are those who tell me that Sonic doesnt have a heart and that he isnt Amy... implying shes the only heart.

His kindess is overlooked but others kindess shows??

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with painting all of the fans with the same brush like this. Are you sure that you're not just dealing with a particularly vocal minority on this matter?

If you're referring to the "Who's the most heroic Sonic character" thread with this thread, then you should keep this in mind: just because some people there are talking about other characters' acts of heroism, doesn't mean they're trying to undermine Sonic's bouts of altruism.

Also why is it that people like to say their favorite things are underrated and the things they dislike are overrated when their not?

Some people don't know the correct time to use words like this, and its mainly used under a person's opinion bias...not the actual reason something is underrated or overrated. These words are used incorrectly more than necessary, and it really make someone who sees any use of them as a way of just saying it to make an opinion look more important than it really is.

They are really over used words.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with painting all of the fans with the same brush like this. Are you sure that you're not just dealing with a particularly vocal minority on this matter?

If you're referring to the "Who's the most heroic Sonic character" thread with this thread, then you should keep this in mind: just because some people there are talking about other characters' acts of heroism, doesn't mean they're trying to undermine Sonic's bouts of altruism.

I understand that and I dont mean to group people. In the thread only 3 people said Sonic only (I actually pointed out other characters as heroes) already people though we overgloryfy Sonic because we think hes the most heroic. Im not putting other characters down! I dont hate the other characters. I love the other charcters, Its just its fustrating the shit I get for saying Sonic is the most heroic on other sites with bigger fanbases then here.

My point was that if Sonic was Gamma, Tails or Amy... he would be more ackologege as a hero. Examples of this include:

It's like when she said that Sonic is more heroic than the other characters without taking into account what they have done, let alone the real meaning of what being a hero is

or

How can you say he is heroic without looking at what everyone else has done

or

You're an idiot Sonic fanbrat

there are more but just a cap. whats so offensive about finding Sonic to be way more heroic then Tails or Gamma? Its only my opinion. I respect your opinions. But its wrong to think Sonics heroics are overlooked. Its only my opinion. I really to think his heroics are overlooked NOT because there are those who find other characters heroic.... but because fans dont understand his heroics are the same as the other characters.

I understand that and I dont mean to group people. In the thread only 3 people said Sonic only (I actually pointed out other characters as heroes) already people though we overgloryfy Sonic because we think hes the most heroic. Im not putting other characters down! I dont hate the other characters. I love the other charcters, Its just its fustrating the shit I get for saying Sonic is the most heroic on other sites with bigger fanbases then here.

My point was that if Sonic was Gamma, Tails or Amy... he would be more ackologege as a hero. Examples of this include:

It's like when she said that Sonic is more heroic than the other characters without taking into account what they have done, let alone the real meaning of what being a hero is

or

How can you say he is heroic without looking at what everyone else has done

or

You're an idiot Sonic fanbrat

there are more but just a cap. whats so offensive about finding Sonic to be way more heroic then Tails or Gamma? Its only my opinion. I respect your opinions. But its wrong to think Sonics heroics are overlooked. Its only my opinion. I really to think his heroics are overlooked NOT because there are those who find other characters heroic.... but because fans dont understand his heroics are the same as the other characters.

First off, I'd like to say that no one really acknowledges his heroism because it goes without saying. Secondly, we aren't those other sites. :/

Unless you get the same shit here, perhaps you should consider re-posting this on the sites that are giving you issues.

Good luck.

First off, I'd like to say that no one really acknoledges his heroism because it goes without saying. Secondly, we aren't those other sites. :/

Unless you get the same shit here, perhaps you should consider re-posting this on the sites that are giving you issues.

Good luck.

Heres its civil so Im glad.

• Thumbs Up 2

Part 1:

Okay I definitelydon't think he's underrated. It's more like "why keep beating a dead horse" I mean most of us fans already know this so why keep stating it? Thats why most of us are fans in the first place, ya know?

I would elaborate but I'm sick and on phone

Part 2:

You keep posting topics like this and it's kind of frustrating. Not trying to be mean but almost every topic of yours revolves around "Sonic being outshined, under appreciated, not enough of him, least moves, etc." We understand your passion for Sonic because most of us have this same passion. That's why there's so much fanart and stories. We all love em. I'm just really exhausted seeing different variations of the same topic. Again not trying to be mean. I like Sonic because of his heroism and passion and selflessness.

Continue discussing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Listen Chan, I can agree with Light's sentiment somewhat -- the problem seems to be that you appear to be unhappy with anyone being better than Sonic at anything. I'm sure this isn't the case, but that's how you come off.

Anywho, I'm not uncomfortable being grouped in with the general term 'fans', especially when you are referring to communities not on this site and posting here as if to call us out on the viewpoints of others.

The fact is, Sonic's meant to be heroic -- it's who he is. People refer to other acts of heroism in the series (i.e. Tails saving Station Square) because it came with memorable character development; Sonic saves the day no matter what, but Tails saves the city and becomes his own man (er... fox) in the process. We take for granted Sonic's altruism because we already know that's an integral part of his character.

I'm sure you feel like you have to prove your viewpoint is valid, but like Light said, your topics all seem to revolve around the same theme of "Other characters get better treatment than Sonic", even though that simply isn't the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im not unhappy with others being better then Sonic. Im un happy at Sonic not be treated as a equal to the other characters.

Part 1:

Okay I definitelydon't think he's underrated. It's more like "why keep beating a dead horse" I mean most of us fans already know this so why keep stating it? Thats why most of us are fans in the first place, ya know?

I would elaborate but I'm sick and on phone

Part 2:

You keep posting topics like this and it's kind of frustrating. Not trying to be mean but almost every topic of yours revolves around "Sonic being outshined, under appreciated, not enough of him, least moves, etc." We understand your passion for Sonic because most of us have this same passion. That's why there's so much fanart and stories. We all love em. I'm just really exhausted seeing different variations of the same topic. Again not trying to be mean. I like Sonic because of his heroism and passion and selflessness.

Continue discussing.

If you aren't going to elaborate on your thoughts, then please don't post at all. You can't just state your opinion on the matter without explaining yourself as the purpose of this forum is to engage in discussion. You don't think Sonic is underrated? Then explain such and do so when you are up to doing it as I know you aren't feeling well at the moment. It doesn't have to be long and drawn out; just a few sentences would of been fine like you did with your "Part 2".

Speaking of such, if you think that the topics that the topic creator has made are frustrating, then ignore them and don't post in them either. Surely the topic creator is biased and passionate about their high esteem for Sonic, but it's not your place to be calling anyone out with your opinion of their topics if it isn't favorable. If there was a problem with these topics then they wouldn't remain open to allow discussion. That's not to say that you can't disagree with what the OP says, as you are more than welcome to do so as long as you explain your reasons for disagreeing and you are respectful in doing so.

Finally, don't tell anyone to "Continue Discussing" as that is along the lines of backseat moderating. That is a given for the discussion to continue without your input for that to happen, especially when you really didn't do it yourself. You either contribute to the topic at hand which calls for explaining yourself, or you don't post at all. Nothing less, and definitely nothing more than that.

• Thumbs Up 5

I DO worry about Sonic. I know its unpopular to worry about Sonic but I care if hes beeing treated good in the games and in the fanbase.

Im not unhappy with others being better then Sonic. Im un happy at Sonic not be treated as a equal to the other characters.

Um, from what I've experienced, Sonic's heroic actions aren't overshadowed by the other characters. People know that Sonic is the hero, and they know all his heroic traits, they just don't dwell on it or glorify it because they're not interested in it. Also, I don't mean to be rude to you at all, but Sonic has had plenty of moments where he was less-than-polite.
  • Thumbs Up 1

At least Sonic never gets labelled as a "shitty friend".

That's because, to the mainstream, he's the"shitty protagonist". Within the fanbase, Sonic is loved well enough, but I personally will never stop getting crap for liking the games outside there.

I actually think people have less of a problem with Sonic as a character than they do with the games he stars in. Even in the most scathing opinions about the franchise as a whole, no one really has a lot of negative things to say about Sonic himself.

But those other characterslet me tell you about how they ruined the franchise single-handedly.

I really don't think he's under rated in the slightest. He's a favorite of many fans, myself included, and he's the title character of his own series, so I really don't see how he's under rated when he's in the spotlight, as he should be. 

I just think people are just getting tired of Sonic's friends not being playable, and while there's obviously going to be people out there that won't like Sonic, I would definitely say he is far more loved than hated. Yeah, there's some painfully bad characterizations of him out there, but that's not going to distract how much I usually enjoy him and the other usually great portrayals.

• Thumbs Up 1

At what point has Sonic been underrated in any sense of the word? He's the protagonist of one of the most popular on-going game series'. This group of fans you keep pointing out can only be a minority of vocal detractors.

i wish i wasnt worried about Sonic

Sonikku, what's wrong with being worried about your own thoughts on Sonic? Yeah, a lot of us are going to disagree with you, but there's no reason to feel sorry for yourself over your love and defense of another character. It really isn't a big deal, so don't worry about it, K? :)