Awoo.

Sonic is underrated

Rey Skywalker-Ren

No shit people have opinions. Are you going to discuss the subject at hand in good faith or just act like a dick?

I already made my point in a previous post; not everyone is going to view a character equally, it's how bias works.

My point was explaining that people don't always need to sing Sonic's heroics, if that came off as as dickish then I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one thing to criticize overwhelming support of something that overlooks the flaws, or bring to attention a detail that's decent that people overlook or blatantly ignore just so they can criticize something. The problem with the terms "over/underrated" is that they carry the bias of "it's underrated because I like it and no one else does" or "it's overrated because I don't like it and everyone else does," to the point that they're being contrarian and binary for the sake of mocking what people like than it is to be critical and acknowledging the merits even as they disagree. And it comes off as really self-centered to boot, hence why I tend to avoid using those words whenever possible.

In Sonic's case, that's hard to say. People know of Sonic, and it's not like people have fair reasons for liking or disliking him. Now if we're talking about his friends, it's less that Sonic is underrated and more that the other characters bring something new to the table that Sonic doesn't generally have, whether it's in personality, struggles, backstory, or abilities. Sonic is much more happy, optimistic, and self-restraining compared to Shadow's more stoic, cynical, and ruthless personality, for example, and a lot of people would like to see him carry things out that Sonic wouldn't wish to do, would rather avoid doing, or even conflict with Shadow over how to do it.

Then there's abilities: Sonic can run fast, probably more so than anyone else. But he can't exactly fly on his own power, he can't climb, he can't exactly teleport (at least not without an emerald), he has no super-strength in his upper body over the powerhouses, and so forth. That doesn't make him incapable of going against these other characters and forces, that just makes a point that Sonic isn't capable of everything, so there are others to pick up what he himself cannot do.

Really, it's a matter of opinions being so diverse over an already diverse cast. We have at least 16 recurring characters with their own quirks, so some fans will gravitate to other characters a more than they would Sonic, and that's not a bad thing. It would only be a bad thing if people are suggesting that their favorite character should replace Sonic as the series star, in which case someone needs to be reminded of who's legacy this is.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic has always been the star since 1991, so I wouldn't dare call him 'underrated' in any sense of the word. I just guess that with him being the main character, he tends to eventually get overshadowed by some fans who want something different and start picking sides for a new character, wether it actually is a good guy who sides with Sonic's cause or antagonizes him for the sake of 'evulz' or more complex reasons.

But in any case, I always enjoyed Sonic's character and presence in any game, even if his personality and traits tend to vary depending on whichever media he stars in. And the rest of the characters serve to balance out the things in where Sonic can't excel or won't ever resort to, like ChaosSupreme says. 

But if I had to state one valid reason why Sonic isn't underrated that I could bet most people agree with, it's for the nostalgia and impact he had on gaming culture, and that is nothing to sneeze at.

Sonikku, what's wrong with being worried about your own thoughts on Sonic? Yeah, a lot of us are going to disagree with you, but there's no reason to feel sorry for yourself over your love and defense of another character. It really isn't a big deal, so don't worry about it, K? smile.png

I dont mind people having in opinion. I just wanted fans to know how amazing Sonic is and hes just a heroic as any other character most times even more heroic.

That's damn right! *slams hands together* Sonic is starting to get underrated by all the fans! There are only a few fans like me and Evilmoonguy who don't contribute in making Sonic more underrated, BUT we find it underrated ( We and some fans still like Sonic for what it represents and what it is. I mean ( I regret writing this if my best friend finds out ) my best friend finds that Sega is getting desperate in making new Sonic games. It just makes me feel bad, ESPECIALLY some bullies on this form I've heard of! I heard that poor MizukiMoon was being bullied by stupid bullies on this form, and that she supposedly left the forms for good. WHAT KIND OF MONSTERS ARE THESE? I feel so sorry for you MizukiMoon. ( My best friend as an exception ) I despise of these fans that think Sonic is not good as it used to be, AND THAN THEY GO AND BULLY FELLOW SONIC FANS THAT STILL SUPPORT THE BLUE HEDGEHOG! NO, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, I know this sounds berserk, if it does, screw you too! But, ever since I knew that Tails used to be bullied, I swore for vengeance that I would protect people from bullies. AND WHAT IS THIS? A FORM FOR SONIC DISCUSSION, YET MEMBERS GO AND SAY THAT SONIC SUCKS, THAN THEY GO BULLY NICE SONIC FANS, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE, YOU ADMINS AND MODERATORS NEED TO GET A LIFE AND HELP THESE POOR SOULS, BEING BULLIED BY THOSE HORRIBLE PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES FANS OF SONIC. I DO NOT CARE IF TSS DELETES MY ACCOUNT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, please PLEASE help those poor fans that are being cyber ( or should I say fourm )bullied. You can do us a big favor by making polls whenever you want to, to all the members, and see which ones are being bullied. I don't care if you guys report me, all I want to know is that you are going to do as I said. Hell I don't care if you move my topic. JUST MAKE ALL THE MEMBERS READ IT. I don't care if this was off topic, I just want the bullying to stop, or that you are alreadly doing that. ( I really cried while writing this ).

That's damn right! *slams hands together* Sonic is starting to get underrated by all the fans! There are only a few fans like me and Evilmoonguy who don't contribute in making Sonic more underrated, BUT we find it underrated ( We and some fans still like Sonic for what it represents and what it is. I mean ( I regret writing this if my best friend finds out ) my best friend finds that Sega is getting desperate in making new Sonic games. It just makes me feel bad, ESPECIALLY some bullies on this form I've heard of! I heard that poor MizukiMoon was being bullied by stupid bullies on this form, and that she supposedly left the forms for good. WHAT KIND OF MONSTERS ARE THESE? I feel so sorry for you MizukiMoon. ( My best friend as an exception ) I despise of these fans that think Sonic is not good as it used to be, AND THAN THEY GO AND BULLY FELLOW SONIC FANS THAT STILL SUPPORT THE BLUE HEDGEHOG! NO, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, I know this sounds berserk, if it does, screw you too! But, ever since I knew that Tails used to be bullied, I swore for vengeance that I would protect people from bullies. AND WHAT IS THIS? A FORM FOR SONIC DISCUSSION, YET MEMBERS GO AND SAY THAT SONIC SUCKS, THAN THEY GO BULLY NICE SONIC FANS, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE, YOU ADMINS AND MODERATORS NEED TO GET A LIFE AND HELP THESE POOR SOULS, BEING BULLIED BY THOSE HORRIBLE PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES FANS OF SONIC. I DO NOT CARE IF TSS DELETES MY ACCOUNT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, please PLEASE help those poor fans that are being cyber ( or should I say fourm )bullied. You can do us a big favor by making polls whenever you want to, to all the members, and see which ones are being bullied. I don't care if you guys report me, all I want to know is that you are going to do as I said. Hell I don't care if you move my topic. JUST MAKE ALL THE MEMBERS READ IT. I don't care if this was off topic, I just want the bullying to stop, or that you are alreadly doing that. ( I really cried while writing this ).

It's funny you mention cyberbullying, when your joining for the sake of spreading libelous claims and misappropriated facts constitutes just that.  Knock it off.  You're not getting anywhere in your actual cause and you're certainly not helping MizukiMoon.  If you want to stop bullying, why don't you start with yourself?  Get your facts straight and learn the actual definition of bullying before you start having hissy-fits over something you have literally no knowledge of.

Seriously, one more post like this and you're getting a strike.

• Thumbs Up 6

At least Sonic never gets labelled as a "shitty friend".

I've seen him get called much worse for forces outside of his control though.

OK
First off  Sonic and Tails are my two favorites in the franchise. As a fan I tend to want to defend Tails more then Sonic how ever. Why?
Tails is not the mane character, Sonic is, Sonic is the title character, and its not the Sonic franchise with out Sonic there may be spin-offs, but
“remember it all started with a Needlemouse.” LOL
Any way my point is this. This a lot of fans start to hate Tails or any of the other characters, they could be removed and never come back, But Sonic will not go any ware.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh. 

Sonic is a fine hero and all, but I wouldn't start comparing him to Batman or Superman when arguing about heroics. Truth is, his fatal flaw is the fact that he acts on a whim whenever he's confronted with any sort of conflict. Sure he always prevails or whatever, but most of the time he's seen as more of a loose cannon than a shining example of a hero. He doesn't take much time to think, especially when Eggman is involved (watch the conch scene from Lost World again).

That being said, I don't want him to change at all because that would ruin the personality of his that SEGA's built up for so many years. He's fast in terms of physical speed and mental processes, and that's why I love him. 

Also, I wouldn't call Sonic as a whole "underrated" because of his characteristics. Sonic is a platformer after all, and gameplay is key, and that should be the deciding factor on whether or not to buy a game, not just because Sonic saves the universe again.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there, but if anything, I think Sonic is overrated as a hero.