Awoo.

Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn [Indiegogo Crowdfunding - 450k Goal]

Carbo

I'm not dreaming am I, I mean, it looks pretty good but this can't actually be real can it?

Oh god yes.....

I've never understood the backlash against the original game. While having a shaq fighting game is a stupid idea, the actual game itself is pretty decent. I'm not hugely into fighting games but I played Shaq-Fu all the time as a kid and have really fond memories of it. I honestly don't think it's that bad, it's one of those things that people just keep saying is crap and the hatred around it grows and grows until it's well out of proportion with the actual quality of the game......anyway.......this looks frickkin awesome...I want it...I want it now....

EDIT: Also....Shaq Bandicoot? Can we please have a fundraiser for ALL of these games?

EDIT 2: According to the pledge options, for $25 you get the game and all future DLC for free....apparently getting this option will save you $200....how much DLC are they planning for this thing :P They don't even have a gameplay video yet they know they're gonna make $200 worth of dlc?.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Expect me to donate to this very close to the amount that I donated towards Mighty No.9 and Shantae.

My only interest in seeing this happen (which it will), is whether or not I will regret my decision.

Oh god yes.....

I've never understood the backlash against the original game. While having a shaq fighting game is a stupid idea, the actual game itself is pretty decent. I'm not hugely into fighting games but I played Shaq-Fu all the time as a kid and have really fond memories of it. I honestly don't think it's that bad, it's one of those things that people just keep saying is crap and the hatred around it grows and grows until it's well out of proportion with the actual quality of the game......anyway.......this looks frickkin awesome...I want it...I want it now....

EDIT: Also....Shaq Bandicoot? Can we please have a fundraiser for ALL of these games?

EDIT 2: According to the pledge options, for $25 you get the game and all future DLC for free....apparently getting this option will save you $200....how much DLC are they planning for this thing tongue.png They don't even have a gameplay video yet they know they're gonna make $200 worth of dlc?.....

The reason it's hated is because the mechanics are stiff and unreliable, and this is coming from someone who also enjoyed it. I don't know what the context behind the decision was, but when you compare it to other fighters of the generation, it just doesn't hold up.

This on the other hand is being made by developers of several reputable franchises, while quality is never a guaranteed thing in this industry, especially nowadays, I'm looking forward to this.

Think what you want about the gameplay of the original, but the concept of Shaq Fu is fucking hilarious regardless of the quality. I'm pumped for this sequel.

I cant believe you guys missed these juicy tidbits on the indiegogo page

• A wide variety of melee and projectile weapons as well as various everyday objects that can be used as weapons – katanas, shurikens, baseball bats, the occasional basketball filled with the wrong type of gas, bottles, knives and dozens more. Don’t see a weapon you like? What about that manhole cover or that car door? You are Shaq after all, so maybe you want to hurl that motorcycle on a bunch of enemies at once. The world is your projectile.

• Wipe out huge numbers of enemies at once. Bowl down enemies with balls of steel, create earthquakes of unprecedented power, slam dunk baddies with ease.

• Modifiers that change your appearance and enhance your skills. Transform into the monstrous Big Daddy O and crush your enemies. Twirl into the Big Baryshnikov and pirouette your enemies like a tornado tearing through Kansas. Power up into the Big Diesel and steamroll your enemies into Kobe-Patties. A power-up for every nickname Shaq has ever had, and a few new ones for good measure.

• Co-op Gameplay. Grab a friend and battle it out in tandem. Play as Shaq’s identical twin (no he doesn’t sell insurance) or select from a host of other playable characters with different skills and power-ups. Split screen action available, baby!

• Co-op’s not your bag? Build up your character and fighting style and duke it out online or on the same machine against another player.

• Once you have played through the main game revisit it to discover secret environments that you might have missed.

• Think its over once the Black Star Ninja, is unmasked? Think again. Hosts of challenges await that pit you against the best Shaq Fu’s in the world.

Co-op! modifier upgrades! Earthquakes! Modifiers based off EVERY SHAQ NICKNAME IN EXISTENCE!!! oh and in coop you are his twin or another character

I can't believe how good this game is sounding right now, i'm not even a fan of shaq and im somewhat pumped for this.

Most likely, though i don't know if it will reach the other stretch goals.

Maybe it's a personal thought, but if it was on Kickstarter rather than Indiegogo, it would have been more popular.

Currently at 57K (about 12%) with 44 days as of this post.

Think it'll make it?

This game uses Indiegogo's flexible funding feature, meaning that they will get the money earned even if it doesn't hit the funding goal. This is why certain major outlets prefer using it over Kickstarter.

The only downside using that feature is that Indiegogo takes a bigger price cut if your funding goal isn't met.

Why's this using crowd funding anyway? It's not like this is some poorindie developer, $750k is pocket change to Shaq surely?

They're not actually doing this for the money, they're doing it to see how interested people are in it.

This game uses Indiegogo's flexible funding feature, meaning that they will get the money earned even if it doesn't hit the funding goal. This is why certain major outlets prefer using it over Kickstarter.

The only downside using that feature is that Indiegogo takes a bigger price cut if your funding goal isn't met.

So it's basically the reverse of selling on eBay? huh.

• 4 weeks later...

A reminder, this still exists, also at 126K, has 14 days left and 765 backers

so yeah, it is getting made, jsut wont be getting all the expansions they want.... I wonder if they plan a mass media awareness campaign within the last week or so?

Small update from the facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ShaqFuALegendReborn

1688556_626592320729686_1982166675_t.jpg

I'd like to thank all of you for your support with the recent poll. The results came in that 92% would back the campaign if we made console release a part of hitting the basic goal of $450k. We are seriously considering this option at this point. If any of you have any words that might tip us in that direction. We'd love to hear what you think. We're at $133,000 on Indiegogo and no matter what happens, we're going to be pushing through all the way to the end. We believe wholeheartedly in the fans that have made all this possible and we can't wait to work with all of you on the actual game. Let's give it everything we've got to get the message out and pull in as many backers as we can!

And yes, this does include Wii-u version

Its now coming to consoles if it reaches the 450K goal:

Oliver Hollis-Leick posted an announcement5 days ago

UPDATE!!! SHAQ FU WILL BE RELEASED ON CONSOLES!!! Including PS4, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. If we hit our goal of $450, we will make it happen!! Also, the campaign is being extended by two weeks to give us time to hit that goal, which we intend to do! Tell everyone you know, and everyone you don't know, to get over here and get involved while they still can!!!

SHAQ FU WILL DJ YOUR PARTY!!! Check out this unbelievable and highly exclusive new perk on our campaign page!!!

oh and they are at 211.7k

• 3 weeks later...

They made it

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn#activity

1 day ago

WE DID IT!!!

We finished with a grand total of $473,884! Big Deez productions would like to thank everybody that made this possible. We're so excited to be working with you all. You've made this experience a real joy. There has been so much support from everyone. It was fantastic to see how hard everyone worked into the last days and hours of the campaign. A sincere and heartfelt thank you to all of you.

SHAQ FU IS HAPPENING! This is just the beginning. Now that the game is funded and will be seeing PC and console release it's time to start production. We'll soon be putting together a platform where our team (that's you!) will be able to contribute ideas and suggestions, as well as help us reflect on our own choices. We'll be keeping a developer diary and you'll have exclusive access to the whole thing. Making video games is a slow process and there's much to be done, but you'll be with us every step of the way.

Our success is on your shoulders. You have made this happen for all of us and we're thrilled to have had your passion and support from start to finish. Our promise still stands: This time we won't Fu it up!

A sincere thank you to all!

Oliver - Big Deez Productions

20140306054651-365e881 Oliver Hollis-Leick

Well how about that, I didn't think it'd happen.

This year is just one big stream of good gaming news.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...