Awoo.

I'm not celebrating until we see some drastic and positive changes.  I really don't like any of the shows Cartoon Network has had going for it since 2010 or so, including Adventure Time and Regular Show.  Neither of those are bad shows, mind you, but the former leaves very little impression on me at all and the latter just feels like a toned down version of what you might see on Adult Swim.  Gumball and Uncle Grandpa are a step in the right direction in terms of general atmosphere, but I could never marathon them.  Especially the latter.

Also, as Azookara mentioned, CN's improved a bit in this regard, but they still lack much of the variety that used to make them great.  Sometimes, though, I wonder if maybe it's just me living in the past.  Aside from the major players like Transformers, Spider-Man, and all that, I've not seen too much in the way of experimental action shows on any channel, for example.  They do have some relatively decent shows that fit that description, mind you, but they mostly air early in the morning as opposed to scattered throughout the day.  What I'm saying is that maybe the way CN used to be just isn't popular anymore?  I don't know.  Not trying to make a statement here; my mind is just boggled.

Anyway, yeah, I'm going to remain hopeful, but I'm not going to hold my breath for better quality just because one person stepped down.

• Thumbs Up 4

Cartoon Network was like one of THE channels I wanted to watch as a kid. I only ever saw it when going on holiday and hotels that had pay-TV. My parents would never get pay-TV, and it wasn't until 2011 when I had the means and the money to get it myself. In a very sorta weird way, like Michael Jackson tries to live the childhood he never really got due to his music career starting at a very young age, when I got myself Sky satellite TV, Cartoon Network and sister-channel Boomerang were the channels I was stuck to the most.

It was like living a piece of childhood for the first time about 15 or so years too late, I didn't get to experience as an actual child. That's disregarding the type of content that would have changed in that timeframe. If I was crazy about Hanna Barbera shows then, I was crazy for the likes of The Amazing World of Gumball, Regular Show or The Looney Tunes Show in more recent years.

The love affair has kinda come to an end, simply because I don't watch a lot of TV anymore to justify the cost of subscription, and cancelled Sky last November.

I'm personally hoping Sonic Boom, when it comes later this year, will be another step in CN's baby-steps to getting better. Sure, it'll probably encourage the "comedy good, action bad" mentality CN has had for a while now, but as long as there'll be some action in it, that's fine. It's kind of hard not to expect some action thrown in whenever I watch the trailer again, but hey, trailers can lie, so it's probably moot.

As for any shows I still watch, I still watch and like Adventure Time and Regular Show. But, eh, I think they're kind of overstaying their welcome and becoming stagnant now. Steven Universe on the other hand, just gets better for me with each episode I watch and quickly grew on me with it's characters, animation, style, and world-building. Something the already-mentioned shows had maybe in small/average doses. It also managed to be really emotional when the situation called for it, such the most recent episode with

Steven growing old from his gem's power and the Crystal Gems are all trying to act younger so he'll feel younger. When nothing seems to work, Pearl actually starts crying and Garnet, for the first time, seems to be at a loss on what to do. That honestly shocked me. Yeah, sure, you know he wasn't going to die for reals because 'main character immunity' but still, it really made me appreciate how much it made me care about a character, who I'll admit I don't like all that much, because of how his near death was affecting the characters closest to him. That to me is an accomplishment.

gdp_gif.gif

Only because... only because change is slow man. I look forward to Cartoon Network making changes now that this brain dead out of touch jerk is gone. Let's hope for someone younger here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well of course, that was never what I was trying to say. Some qualities to CN are still great; the shows being one and then the few instances such as Impactist's stuff (especially that <3) being the other. The channel is definitely more accessible than it was in the mid to late 2000s (early 2000s was actually great quality for the most part), but it still is kind of.. cringeworthy now? I can leave it on, but I'll end up being mildly irritated through a decent chunk of it, since the Impactist shorts don't really appear as often as the "meme" bumpers or anything else for that matter; they kind of play in really long empty space blocks during commercial breaks, and that's it really from what I can recall.

But yeah, God knows it's better than both Disney or Nick right now. Especially Disney. Anything's better than Disney right now. Even watching Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad is better for children than current Disney Channel. :v

And YES, of course Cartoon Network is getting better! I know about Tom and Jerry and the classic Looney Tunes re-airing in the mornings (I leave them on a lot when doing random stuff), I know of Cartoon Planet (although I haven't seen it much since it's first airing or two; once again does Brak and Zorak still appear or not?). And yes, of course I know Toonami is back (aww yes). It's just that while it's got progress and some good things again, they shouldn't stop there. They should keep going to not only introduce new things but keep, cherish and revitalize the old.

CN's current philosophy has been "out with the old, in with the new" for a long time, but is slowly returning to the old philosophy of "the more the merrier", and like what with what you mentioned it's returning gradually. And that's what I like to see, no 'nostalgia goggles' about it.

I just hope that with Snyder being replaced, we'll see that really kick in.

Am I the only one who realizes that they did actually bring back classic Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry shorts and thus actually watches them every morning? 

But they only air once per day (if I remember right) and is usually at a time that's hard to catch.  (Of course, that may just be my own personal schedule)

Am I the only one who realizes that Cartoon Planet is actually still a thing?

Which is problematic in that the old cartoons don't intermingle with the rest of the shows like they used to.  Not only that, but the fact that it only airs once a week, it doesn't exactly make the remainder of the week any more tolerable.

Am I the only one who realizes that they brought back freaking Toonami, something we've been asking for for years?

At like 2 in the morning on Saturdays only... which, in fairness, is actually a smart move for the now-grown target demographic, but still.

Am I the only one who thinks the Lego shows somehow managed to turn out good and are thus a solid edition to the channel? Am I the only one impressed that they managed to moneyhat Dreamworks for a Dragon series that is both a good show and managed to do televised 3D justice?

Those are both good examples and I referenced them being decent in my last post.  But they don't air them in nearly the same frequency as, say, Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Johnny Test.

Really, am I the only one who gives a damn about the good they've done or am I just supposed to constantly compare them to the old days?

I commend them for a lot of the good they've done, but I can't help but feel that it's often a moot stimulation that doesn't have much to offer the rest of the time.  But I mean, at least it's better than-

(looking at you, Disney. Screw you for never reviving the Disney Afternoon or its shows)

Yes, exactly. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as "Out of Jimmy's Head" never manages to see the light of day ever again, I dont have much issue with current CN.

At like 2 in the morning on Saturdays only... which, in fairness, is actually a smart move for the now-grown target demographic, but still.

Uhhhh, try 11:30 PM.

Also from what I reember CN was fine in the early 00s, it was around 06-07 when things started going to shit

• Thumbs Up 2

But they only air once per day (if I remember right) and is usually at a time that's hard to catch.  (Of course, that may just be my own personal schedule)

They air at like 11-noon in the morning! D8

Which is problematic in that the old cartoons don't intermingle with the rest of the shows like they used to.  Not only that, but the fact that it only airs once a week, it doesn't exactly make the remainder of the week any more tolerable.

The remainder of the week isn't bad at all; it's not like it's nothing but Annoying Orange. I'm also not sure what you meant by intermingle. You wouldn't get a classic Looney Tunes short in the middle of CartoonCartoon Fridays. Everything had its own dedicated block for the most part, which is more or less how things are now.

Toonami starts at 11:30 PM now. o.o;;  

Those are both good examples and I referenced them being decent in my last post.  But they don't air them in nearly the same frequency as, say, Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Johnny Test.

Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gumball, and Steven Universe are pretty much the best shows that need to be airing frequently. I even sorta kinda like Uncle Grandpa of all things for the zaniness of the animation (and would probably like it more if Pizza Steve wasn't such a douchebag)

I commend them for a lot of the good they've done, but I can't help but feel that it's often a moot stimulation that doesn't have much to offer the rest of the time.

I don't know; everything in this topic and your post feels like shrugging-off at best and backhanded compliments at worst. Fair enough if you don't like the shows on offer. I'm still not as avid a watcher myself, but I feel like people are unfairly acting like CN is in a Disney-level gutter. Snyder imbued a little bit of actual passion back into the channel to the best of his ability, both in the shows, blocks, and bumper content, and I don't feel he deserves to be sent off with boos and hisses just because Johnny Test plays a little too much for some of you guys' liking. 

But I mean, at least it's better than-

Yes, exactly. XD

dagang.png

Never Forget. ;~;

• Thumbs Up 2

They air at like 11-noon in the morning! D8

I'm at school by then... so uh yeah. @3@

The remainder of the week isn't bad at all; it's not like it's nothing but Annoying Orange. I'm also not sure what you meant by intermingle. You wouldn't get a classic Looney Tunes short in the middle of CartoonCartoon Fridays. Everything had its own dedicated
block for the most part, which is more or less how things are now.

Yeah, but they were still scattered throughout the day, airing at different times on different days, rather than just one portion of cartoons all pigeonholed into the early morning slot to leave room for all the current shows for the rest of the day.

Toonami starts at 11:30 PM now. o.o;;  

Ah, well, I was mistaken, then. XD

Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gumball, and Steven Universe are pretty much the best shows that need to be airing frequently. I even sorta kinda like Uncle Grandpa of all things for the zaniness of the animation (and would probably like it more if Pizza Steve wasn't such a douchebag)

Eh, they are just not my thing, I suppose.  Gumball has its charms, though.

I don't know; everything in this topic and your post feels like shrugging-off at best and backhanded compliments at worst. Fair enough if you don't like the shows on offer. I'm still not as avid a watcher myself, but I feel like people are unfairly acting like CN is in a Disney-level gutter. Snyder imbued a little bit of actual passion back into the channel to the best of his ability, both in the shows, blocks, and bumper content, and I don't feel he deserves to be sent off with boos and hisses just because Johnny Test plays a little too much for some of you guys' liking. 

Oh, yeah, I mean, it's not nearly Disney Channel level garbage (although the live action phase made me think it was quickly heading there), it's just that very little particularly interests me in terms of the writing, atmosphere, and to a very limited extent artistic direction of most of the shows, with the exception of some of their CG shows like the aforementioned Lego ones.  I did entertain the possibility that I was just looking at the whole debacle through nostalgia goggles in my first post, so it's more than possible that I may just be full of shit.  But still, I remember being able to enjoy a good deal of the channel even when they picked up several more shows that I didn't (at the time) appreciate in the 2006-2009-ish era.

With that said, I do agree that he deserves credit the good things he's done as opposed to being treated to "good riddance" now that he's left.  At the same time, though, Cartoon Network operates as a company, not just a CEO telling people what to air and what time.  So I really think all the posts talking about how he sent CN to the gutter are sort of assigning far too much blame on a single individual as is.

dagang.png

Never Forget. ;~;

Not pictured: Goof Troop

That may not have aired on Disney Channel.  I don't remember.  But yeah, I really do miss all these.  Not just these, mind you, but I miss some of their silly cartoons based off Disney movies like Tarzan and The Little Mermaid.  At least, in my own personal opinion, I can live in solace knowing that the horrible sitcoms they replaced them with haven't been getting worse over the past decade.  They've remained consistently awful, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

But yeah, God knows it's better than both Disney or Nick right now. Especially Disney. Anything's better than Disney right now. Even watching Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad is better for children than current Disney Channel. :v

Gravity Falls? Wander Over Yonder? Phineas and Ferb (during the period it was great/good)? Also heard Motorcity and Tron Uprising were good, though they were on Disney XD and were screwed over pretty quickly.

I'd also say Crash and Bernstein, aside from being above average in my opinion, I also like it's premise of having a puppet as a main character. I dunno, I feel it's a stepping stone to get the Muppets back on television somehow. :/

Whereas I can't really think of any advantages Nick has over Disney TBH. Ninja Turtles is the only one that come to mind. Korra nowadays seems to have more of a mixed opinion and I hear Sanjay and Craig can be good when it's not trying to be gross. Everything else is just churned-out Dan Schnieder Nickcoms, or SpongeBob reruns -with half of them being the post-movie episodes, which speak for themselves in terms of quality-, and anything else that isn't those two is essentially forgettable stuff.

I have to revise what I said about Snyder. He wasn't the sole person to blame for CN's descent into badness of course, but he didn't exactly stop or discourage it from happening, either. I shouldn't have blown him off as saying "good riddance" due to his attempts to bring back other stuff, but doing that could have also been damage control due to the state the reality shows and whatever else CN was led down.

So really, while I have no real strong opinion of him now, I can only see the good the company currently harbors thanks to Snyder mixed with removing whatever bad things he also introduced as a step up.

Gravity Falls? Wander Over Yonder? Phineas and Ferb (during the period it was great/good)? Also heard Motorcity and Tron Uprising were good, though they were on Disney XD and were screwed over pretty quickly.

Actually... yeah, I see where you are coming from. Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls are flipping great (Gravity Falls definitely has the heavier substance of the two), and although I didn't really like much of anything about Phineas and Ferb, Motorcity and Tron Uprising were pretty neat. Also, the new Mickey shorts are stellar, just throwing that out there.

I just find it sort of hard to remember these shows exist since they're so underplayed. Disney likes having them around but at the same time doesn't seem to give three poops about them when you compare how much attention they get compared to the onslaught of D-quality sitcoms they try making.. In fact, let's not get on the topic of Disney's sitcoms. They're disgustingly toxic, and honestly no matter how many great shows the channel has it's hard to call it anything but bad with how those shows trample over and overcrowd the animated ones.

Whereas I can't really think of any advantages Nick has over Disney TBH. Ninja Turtles is the only one that come to mind. Korra nowadays seems to have more of a mixed opinion and I hear Sanjay and Craig can be good when it's not trying to be gross. Everything else is just churned-out Dan Schnieder Nickcoms, or SpongeBob reruns -with half of them being the post-movie episodes, which speak for themselves in terms of quality-, and anything else that isn't those two is essentially forgettable stuff.

And I see what you mean here, too. Nick sort of lives off of the legacy of series that are long dead and buried instead of letting them be: While Ninja Turtles gets the excuse due to coming from a constantly rebooting franchise; Sanjay and Craig is trying to be a 90s Nick show and a Regular Show / Adventure Time knockoff simultaneously, Spongebob has been a zombie since at least the first post-movie season, Korra is only still that big because it has small bouts of good + stems from the extremely successful original series, and Schnieder is only still making shows because A ) people loved the Amanda Show and Drake & Josh and B ) little girls will keep watching them (??).

So yeah, I can see what you mean by Nick being the worst of the three. Even so though, it's hard to say one is worse than the other. While all these things are true with Nick, people seem to really like TMNT, when the original Spongebob episodes come on, when Korra or Sanjay & Craig are actually good for a moment or two, or when Schneider writes a good episode to whatever show he's working on at that second (since his stuff can potentially be funny).

That "mostly bad but sometimes good" schtick for Nick sort of counteracts with Disney's "little bit of great but A WHOLE BUNCH of awful" thing.

Of course, on topic, personally when comparing CN to them I'd call it "a bunch of good, and a big chunk of decent / not-so-good, and a handful of really bad". So it's definitely the best out of the three by a landslide, but it's also like the wild-card that varies in quality.

• Thumbs Up 3

Of course, on topic, personally when comparing CN to them I'd call it "a bunch of good, and a big chunk of decent / not-so-good, and a handful of really bad". So it's definitely the best out of the three by a landslide, but it's also like the wild-card that varies in quality.

I agree, though with that said I think if you're looking for a great network aimed at younger people the Hub Network trumps all three of them. I think the only thing I can fault the Hub Network for is that Dan Vs. was pretty short-lived and that it's not as available as the other networks (though that's arguably because it's a new channel).

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with a network that airs both BTAS and Animaniacs! X)

Well, let's just hope the new head Ceo manages to make right and better cartoon decisions and be able to remove the remainder of the live action stains.

In regards to CN though, it's truly on the rebound and getting better, and at least, improving itself and moving away from the dark days of CN Real from the mid- to late 2000s with the crappy live action shows and really few good toons (good ones IMO from this age were Chowder and Flapjack, but that's all I could think of). Thank goodness that atrocity failed and served as a major wake up call to the top executives. At least, it is faring better than rivaling networks and channels such as Nickelodeon and Disney (well mostly Nick, Disney at least, has Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb though heard it declined in quality recently and Wander Over Yonder), where there's only a few watchable/good shows while littered with teen sh*tcoms and other low quality live action and cartoons that almost mirrors CN's dark ages of CN Real. Even The Hub which showed promise since its launch seems to falter a bit esp. in terms of new shows and content as Dan Vs been canned and TF Prime is finished. Their only strong leg and highly rated show at the moment is MLP FiM and if that leg falters for whatever the reason would spell disaster for the network and it doesn't help matters that it's a premium channel that most homes don't have as well. 

CN has a plenty of good and decent shows under its belt more so than those channels. Good/decent shows such as Adventure Time, which still retains above average quality in its 5th season, Steven Universe, Regular Show, Gumball, and even Uncle Grandpa to an extent. Even the upcoming show Clarence shows some promise as well. 

Again, hopefully the new CEO would be able to make better marketing decisions that will continue to improve CN further as well as weeding out the unnecessary live action bullcrap (Who Framed Roger Rabbit gets a pass because it's good and at least has animation) and that good, high quality shows will have longer staying power without risk of getting cancelled. Also, that we'll see less and less or little to none of badly produced/quality shows in the long run, I'm looking at you Johnny Test and Annoying Orange. 

I agree, though with that said I think if you're looking for a great network aimed at younger people the Hub Network trumps all three of them. I think the only thing I can fault the Hub Network for is that Dan Vs. was pretty short-lived and that it's not as available as the other networks (though that's arguably because it's a new channel).

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with a network that airs both BTAS and Animaniacs! X)

Ah yes, you're right with that.

HUB Network's style is very reminiscent of older Cartoon Network and other stations, it's crazy how it's got that same vibe.. Its got a very accessible style to it that reminds me of '90s tv stations. Its kind of surreal watching it, actually, and I mean that in the best kind of way.

That's pretty cool that we could see some change soon. My only real hope is that whoever steps in brings back alot of the older stuff they did back in the day, stuff like giving more creators a chance to send their ideas in and maybe let viewers vote on what they'd want turned into a series. Alot of the old Cartoon-Cartoons came about like that and I always thought it'd be cool to see something similar in modern times.

All I can say is about fucking time!

But they still have yet to bring me back. Regular Show and Dragons of Berk are really one of the few titles that I manage to catch that actually hold my interest in the channel, but with that said CN isn't the only one with this problem.

Really, this whole dearth of animated works, whether 2D or 3D, whether it is CN, Disney, or Nick has really made me stop watching TV. I'm not even freaking joking, I've barely touched my tv remote for 10 damn months for anything other than to change the channel to play video games (I've been using the internet as a substitute to catch up on other shows). I was that bored, and the only times I've actually watched TV is over at my cousin's house when he recorded other stuff on other channels he paid for that actually interested me, or when he recorded Toonami.

They're really gonna have to sell me with something good to get drawn back in. Because despite this news, I can barely see myself going back to my television. I really feel that out of touch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't know the CEO nor how much of an impact he had on CN, but if he was the guy who ruined the channel around the mid to late noughties then fuck 'em. Out of Jimmy's Head was the worst concept for a sitcom ever!

Anyways, I'm surprised to see so many here are still not satisfied with the current CN even though it has been improving significantly over the years. True there's a lot of crappy stuff but what about Regular Show, Dragons and Adventure Time? Especially the former I enjoy though it has overstayed its welcome a bit, and Adventure Time...well, I used to love it but then I noticed the story became all DARK and EPIC and it didn't feel right to me. I think that and Regular Show need to stop sooner or later, so we can see more great shows by Quintel and Ward.

Now that the old CEO has stepped down I hope this means we'll see even more of an improvement to Cartoon Network.

Ah this is good, but I ain't celebrating yet till the DC Nation block is back in full glory. I need some form of Batman on running.

• Thumbs Up 2

I need some form of Batman on running.

Not you personally at all, but I'm just kind of tired of this mentality. Plenty of DC properties have the possibilities to be amazing, but very few are given the chance because we gotta have more Batman and Batman's the only one anyone wants to try. I want like a Flash cartoon, or a Martian Manhunter cartoon; not necessarily because I like either of those characters, but because they've got loads of untapped potential for great cartoons. Just makes me sad every time a Green Latern cartoon or the like is cancelled and it seems final, but Batman gets a hundred billion second-chances.

I'd love to see a new Superman series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see a new Superman series.

This. Though honestly I think we need a Wonder Woman cartoon at this point in time. And now that Synder is finally gone we don't have to worry about it being canned so easily.

• Thumbs Up 6