Awoo.

Huh, I actually didn't expect the bears to talk. From the look of things it seemed more like a silent cartoon.

Looks fine I guess.

Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa, and Clarence renewed.  

I'm very happy Steven Universe and Clarence are getting third seasons, however I'm not too happy about Regular Show getting another season. Even though I haven't liked the majority of episodes since season 5, the show hasn't gone to Spongebob or Fairly oddparents levels of bad, but I'm afraid with another season it might.

And here's some behind the scenes footage of We Bare Bears, and the intro, which is performed by Estelle. I like it, it's bubbly and upbeat and it's pretty catchy,  plus Estelle's voice is great.

Edited by Blue Swallow

• 3 months later...

A new video came out showcasing some of the 2016 CN lineup. What's interesting is there are several new shows listed that we (or at least I) hadn't heard of yet. Such include Grizzy and the Lemmings, Dorothy of Oz, Freak Town, a new Wack Races, and Super Noobs. There's even a small clip of the new Powerpuff Girls show. Like, 2 seconds only, but Blossom's voice sounded spot on and the animation looked nice. It definitely looks like Cartoon Network is trying to go all out with content next year. It's a bit strange though how they showed Be Cool Scooby-Doo but not Wabbit in the video, though. Still, from this video it seems there's going to be less focus on Teen Titans GO, which was one big complaint I heard about from people. 

Edit: This promo is for CN Australia. So the plans for the US and EU counterparts might be different. 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait, huh? A NEW Wacky Races? Well, that got my attention! 

I barely watch CN anymore but I will be cautiously waiting for that. Cautiously. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting that they are resurrecting Wacky Racers. I wonder if this will based on or has any connections to the attempted revival pitched almost a decade ago.

The context behind that: A pilot called Wacky Racers Forever, that featured descendants of the original racers, was pitched back to 2006. Obviously it wasn't picked up, but the pilot exists on the internet (as to where? IDK. Maybe it's on YouTube or another corner somewhere). You can see some footage of it in RebelTaxi's Top 5 Animated Pilots: Part 2 video (it can be seen at 0:43).

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting that they are resurrecting Wacky Racers. I wonder if this will based on or has any connections to the attempted revival pitched almost a decade ago.

The context behind that: A pilot called Wacky Racers Forever, that featured descendants of the original racers, was pitched back to 2006. Obviously it wasn't picked up, but the pilot exists on the internet (as to where? IDK. Maybe it's on YouTube or another corner somewhere). You can see some footage of it in RebelTaxi's Top 5 Animated Pilots: Part 2 video (it can be seen at 0:43).

Yes, the pilot is on YouTube. The full thing. 

Edited by B-17G Flying Fortress
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeesh, CN's pretty much the king of cartoon channels right now with the amount of shows they already have.  Not sure if it really needs any more (although replacing Uncle Grandpa with something else would be AOK with me). 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeesh, CN's pretty much the king of cartoon channels right now with the amount of shows they already have.  Not sure if it really needs any more (although replacing Uncle Grandpa with something else would be AOK with me). 

Agreed. And btw, wasn't there reports of a new Justice League animated series?

Agreed. And btw, wasn't there reports of a new Justice League animated series?

Sure have.  JLA is believed to be the title and judging from some of the evidence found and the fact that DC will want to market their new movieverse through as many means as possible, I'm certain this is real.  Trouble is, there's already been an awesome Justice League show, so unless Timm and Dini are back for more, then I'm not entirely sure this will be of the same standard (probably going to be better than the movieverse regardless though).

Honestly I have low expectations for the new JLA cartoon. If anything I'm expecting it to be of similar ilk to Teen Titans Go!, or (at best) ape the current crop of Marvel cartoons. Same case for the upcoming reboots of  Ben 10 (the chibi-fied design says it all, honestly) and the Powerpuff Girls (I'm not necessarily expecting the likes of TTG! or Marvel cartoons to happen to the PPG per se, but the lack of involvement of creator Craig McCracken and the Dance-Pantsed special from last year do not instill me with much confidence).

Despite CN's shows generally in the area of good to fantastic, there is undeniably a high ratio of comedy-focused cartoons over other genres, with (pure) action cartoons being virtually non-existent (and with the way the network has treated action cartoons ever since the maligned CN Real era, it's not too surprising as to why that is). The ad ElectricAngel posted even ends with the slogan "Putting Laughs On Every Screen": that perfectly sums up with the network's priorities as of now.

Edited by Gabe

Sure have.  JLA is believed to be the title and judging from some of the evidence found and the fact that DC will want to market their new movieverse through as many means as possible, I'm certain this is real.  Trouble is, there's already been an awesome Justice League show, so unless Timm and Dini are back for more, then I'm not entirely sure this will be of the same standard (probably going to be better than the movieverse regardless though).

Well Young Justice didn't have Dini or Timm on it and look how that turned out.

If there's a cartoon that needs replacing in CN, the first one should be "Teen Titans Go!" Then, we can talk about replacing Uncle Grandpa or whatever

Well Young Justice didn't have Dini or Timm on it and look how that turned out.

Oh - yeah, hehe... Kind of forgot about that.  In my defence though, I haven't (for some weird, unexplained reason) seen a single episode.  However, having been reminded of that show makes me remember Greg Weissman was involved - a guy who can definitely fill the void left by Timm and Dini to my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

If there's a cartoon that needs replacing in CN, the first one should be "Teen Titans Go!" Then, we can talk about replacing Uncle Grandpa or whatever

But why? IT'S YOUR NEW FAVOURITE CARTOON! :D

piss off Cartoon Network.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 5 months later...

How should I put this? Okay, so there is some good news and there is some bad news. And might as well get the good out of the way will quickly. It looks like Uncle Grandpa is ending production by splitting up a season into two soon so that's one bad/meh cartoon out of the way.

Cartoon Network Lied To Us: ‘Uncle Grandpa’ Is Ending Production

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/cartoon-network-lied-us-uncle-grandpa-ending-production-138629.html

Last week Cartoon Network sent out a press release announcing that they had picked up seasons 4 and 5 of two of their popular shows: Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa. We dutifully wrote up the news, but it turns out that Cartoon Network duped us, along with dozens of other media outlets.

Cartoon Network isn’t picking up new episodes of Uncle Grandpa, but rather ending production on the series, a source with knowledge of the production told Cartoon Brew.

Here’s what’s going on: the Uncle Grandpa crew at Cartoon Network Studios in Burbank was informed in mid-March that the show would wrap up production at the end of its current season. When they’re done, the crew will have produced 78 half-hours, or 156 11-minute cartoons.

Because the first season of the series consisted of 52 11-minute shorts, the crew members had assumed that there would be two additional seasons of 52 11-minute shorts. However, Cartoon Network is splitting up the remaining 104 shorts into 26 cartoons per season, which allows them to proclaim four new seasons of content.

It’s not a crime for Cartoon Network to change the number of episodes per season, and in fact, some of their shows have 26 episodes per seasons. Also, the bulk of Uncle Grandpa — 100 cartoons — hasn’t even debuted yet. In other words, fans of Uncle Grandpa, Mr. Gus, Belly Bag, Pizza Steve, and Giant Realistic Flying Tiger can look forward to years of original new content.

But looking at it from the perspective of the crew (and that’s what we do because we’re an industry resource), CN’s announcement of two new seasons was disingenuous. We’ve never received a press release claiming that a show is being renewed, when in fact the entire crew is being laid off. It’s a savvy way for Cartoon Network to spin bad news, and avoid the negative press that often accompanies show cancellation announcements, as Disney has experienced in recent years when they wrapped production on Phineas and Ferb and Wander Over Yonder.

For those wondering about Steven Universe, Cartoon Network pulled a similar stunt on that series by reducing the number of episodes per season to be able to claim additional seasons. This was confirmed by show writer Matt Burnett on Twitter, who posted the following (now-deleted) tweet:

mattburnett_tweet

Well, now for the bad news.Remember that Swat Kats Revolution Kickstarter by original creators of the toon? Well, they brought it to Warner Bros who tried to talk it up with network's higher ups and as you might have guessed with it being bad news and all...

SWAT Kats Revolution Not Optioned By Cartoon Network

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135258-swat-kats-revolution-not-optioned-by-cartoon-network.html

It looks like Cartoon Network's nostalgia fever has ended.

They brought back the Powerpuff Girls. They brought back Samurai Jack. But one cartoon that Cartoon Network won't be bringing back is the SWAT Kats. You may remember almost a year ago a Kickstarter that the creators were trying to get funded for a revamped series. 

The Kickstarter achieved a two-minute teaser reel to show studio heads along with a new animated series bible, character designs, three scripts, and concept art. 

Sadly, it appears it has been for naught for the series to return to one of the branches it found an audience with (it aired numerous times on the channel, originally airing on TBS, before ending up on the Toonami animated action block for a bit). Here's what one of the  co-creators of the show, Christian Tremblay, said about it in an update via their Kickstarter page:

Hi Fans,

As per our last update, we mentioned that we had a Major Hollywood Studios ( we can say now: Warner Bros.) that had interest in bringing back Swat-Kats on Boomerang Chanel / Cartoon Network, It took a while to get answers, but unfortunately Warner Animation was unable to convince the parent network to commit for a new series, and thus passed on the project.

It is a major disappointment, but not a defeat. We are working with investors now about doing episodes independently that will available online for streaming. We are also talking to VOD. We are looking at all the possibilities. We understand it takes more time little more time on the business side to accomplish the goal of producing new episode, and we are as eager to make announcement for you all. We thanks again for all the support and we will keep you updated.

Christian

Tremblay is right of course, given that streaming services do seem the new outlet for this sort of genre of cartoons, as Netflix has optioned an upcoming Voltron and currently has a King Kong cartoon in it's library. 

Sadly, it just appears that yet again the in-fighting between the companies of Warner Bros. cost us a promising show. Still, this isn't the final straw, just a sad door closing what could have been a nice reunion. If any developments occur we'll keep you updated on it.

kenan-amp-quot-whyyy-amp-quot-reaction-i

*Facepalms with heavy sigh

CN, I'm not mad. Just sorely disappointed. And I'm not gonna get salty and be rage filled and call it the 'final nail in the coffin' for action shows (for CN) as there is still hope and still further developments as the article says. Still wish the creators the best if they managed to get on some other distribution network.

CN, let's be honest, the whole 'lel Random' humor shtick like TTG and heavily relying on comedic shows are not work forever and goes to show with the negative reaction the PPG reboot is getting. And it'll definitely help to have some action shows for some different flavor and variety and to see what shows can stick or not. Also, what make shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe popular and well received is that it had more than just comedy as it have meaningful and deep moments sprinkled in along with character growth and development and arcs with writing that doesn't talk down to kids and treat them like adults as well as appeal to adults too and overall there is more care. And the comedy there have great writing and structure to it as I might add which TTG and PPG and UG certainly lacks for the most part.

I'm only saying this is I still like CN and still care for it as it is still greater than Disney and Nick at the moment with the number of hits under its belt. However, I hope they manage better quality control and that they move from the 'lol random' humor type of crap. I don't like to see it fall into another slump/Dork Age like during mid to late 2000s when they are going in a more positive direction currently. Maybe with the cancellation of UG might be a sign of sorts or maybe not (at least hopefully the show that replaces it isn't equally bad or worse). We can only hope (and maybe send some emails/letters of protests, idk)

• Thumbs Up 4

Uncle Grandpa won't be missed since it was pretty bad, but it's a real shame that they didn't pick up the Swat Kats reboot considering they used to air the original series. Hopefully another network will pick it up or it'll find a home via online streaming like Netflix, Amazon, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

People give Uncle Grandpa way more crap than it deserves. All it ever did was just be a cartoon. The people working on it didn't care about adhering to reality whatsoever, they just wanted it to be funny. It's not amazing, but it's hardly as obnoxious as Teen Titans Go.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 7 months later...
On 16/12/2016 at 3:51 AM, AdvHedge said:

Why do people always say "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004" or thereabouts?

The CN City era began in 2004, and it's widely considered among their best and most creative eras. So how could CN die in the year where their second greatest era (next to the Powerhouse one) began? Sure, some of the 90s Cartoon Cartoons got canned, but at least there were still reruns all the way up till 07. And there were amazing new shows to tide us over like Hi Hi puffy ami yumi, Code Lyoko, Juniper lee, Class of 3000, Ozzy and Drix, and Camp Lazlo.

If anything, I'd peg it as "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007". After the Boston bomb scare incident in February 07, the infamous Stuart Snyder took over as president. CN City ended, the beloved Fridays block was replaced with the poor Fried Dynamite, Out of Jimmy's Head premiered, some horrific new shows like Chowder and Flapjack came in, etc.

A term I don't like to use, but Nostalgia geeks mainly say it, people like BenTheLooney on YouTube who basically ripped apart anything that wasn't from that era through stupid nitpicks and other such nonsense. Not everyone says it though, it's mainly only them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Cartoon Network has been great for most of its run.  Sure 06-09 we had a small dark spell but from 2010-2017 they have given us great shows like Adventure Time, Amazing World of Gumball, Regular Show, Steven Universe & We Bare Bears.  Even Clarence, Uncle Grandpa & Teen Titans can be enjoyable in small doses.  I havent seen enough of Mighty Magiswords to judge either way, but it seems decent.

My only gripe is they need to give Sonic Boom & JLA better timeslots.

Edit: I'm also sad CN lost Pokémon to DisneyXD, I mean I know Disney will probably give it a better time slot, but given how slow Disney is to show new episodes of its shows ( lots of Disney toons only get 1 or 2 new episodes a month at times.) it is kind of aggravating

Also I am looking forward to Summer Camp Island & Infinite Train, even though they don't start till 2018. :P

• 1 year later...

Here's a bump of historical significance: Somebody managed to find a recording of Cartoon Network's original sign on, all the way back from the network's start on October 1st, 1992. The sign-on also officially validates the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Rhapsody Rabbit" as the very first cartoon to air on the network.

Also, another person managed to compile together a collection of "forgotten" era promos for shows that served as a transition between the Checkerboard" era (when CN's main focus was still showcasing their library of classic cartoons) and the "Powerhouse" era (when CN started introducing original shows in the form of the first three original 'Cartoon Cartoons' --Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and Dexter's Laboratory started airing on the network).

Really important and intriguing stuff!

• Thumbs Up 6

I got really sentimental watching these.  Seeing the beginnings of something that was such a big part of my childhood, and then seeing a lot of familiar bumpers that I hadn't even thought about in such a long time.  Seeing what's changed and what's essentially stayed the same.  I'm so glad these were found.  Thank you for sharing these!