Awoo.

Keiji Inafune strikes again with Azure Striker Gunvolt | 3DS eShop

Chooch

That's so fucking redundant. It's not like it ruins his design or the game as a whole but it's still horseshit. Is there some good place to make noise about this to possibly get it changed back?

@GunvoltOfficial, the official Twitter account.  Posts and answers questions in Japanese and English.  Whichever staff member runs it has indicated that they don't know the reason for the change or who exactly is responsible, but can presumably pass on any reaction.

Whether you like the change or not or simply don't care, it's a stupid design change because you know they specifically removed it because heaven forbid a male character has a slightly feminine appearance. The thing is that it's not even specifically sexist toward males (like that's even a thing) but another fucking instance of feminine traits being seen as unfitting for selling a lead character to an audience. I'm sick of this fucking bullshit that plagues the gaming industry, and it's extremely disheartening to know that some higher-up decided that this character cannot have braids in the western version because of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

He probably did. Inafune has an understanding of the western game industry that most Japanese devs don't look into.

However, Sean; on a slightly different note. I believe this is sexist towards men. It tells that men with more feminine traits can't be heroes. You know, it's possible for men to be sexist towards each other by constraining them to social standards too?

Now, I still don't care about the change that much because I didn't like the braid. But I do notice the sexism in the change too.

I would not word this as specifically being sexist toward males, which is a thing I do not believe exists, or at least in the way that many people think it does. The reasoning behind this change can be traced back to the idea that masculinity > femininity, because masculine traits are seen as good while female ones are considered to be bad and unmarketable.

So instead I would claim that this is sexist toward females because female characteristics are seen as weak, yet both genders do suffer from this perception. The reason why I would not say it's sexist toward males is because it's still much more insulting for females than it is for males, because it indicates that females are inherently inferior unless they possess masculine qualities, whereas society says "hey, you're a man and that's good - as long as you're not a /girly girl/." Male sexism would mean that a male character is stigmatized for having masculine qualities, and that's a thing I do not believe exists.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would not word this as specifically being sexist toward males, which is a thing I do not believe exists, or at least in the way that many people think it does. The reasoning behind this change can be traced back to the idea that masculinity > femininity, because masculine traits are seen as good while female ones are considered to be bad and unmarketable.

So instead I would claim that this is sexist toward females because female characteristics are seen as weak, yet both genders do suffer from this perception. The reason why I would not say it's sexist toward males is because it's still much more insulting for females than it is for males, because it indicates that females are inherently inferior unless they possess masculine qualities, whereas society says "hey, you're a man and that's good - as long as you're not a /girly girl/." Male sexism would mean that a male character is stigmatized for having masculine qualities, and that's a thing I do not believe exists.

I guess I can understand that line of thinking.

I like the braid and exposed chest as it made him stand out more.

Removing just those two things already makes him more generic. As pointed out by the "is that cloud" comment, I really wish they kept the original design.

Lol, what a worthless change.

I don't get why they still do this shit. Literally anyone can find out what he originally looked like just by going on the internet.

Apparently, long girly ponytails are okay, but not braids.

I liked the braid because it was a little nod to Zero without being an in-your-face reference. It's a shame to see it go. After all, Zero's a fan favorite here in the west, and he's got an all out ponytail! It's a useless change that adds nothing an only gets people angry. Bravo.

I can't say I'm sad to see the exposed midriff go (much like with Tidus it looks to me like they're wearing the wrong size of clothes), but thinking about the braid, I can't imagine that they're actually going to animate enough sprites for it to actually look that good in motion. I could see putting it on a different lair maybe working but details like those just so seldom come out looking that great, whether due to not reacting to wind, moving strongly while jumping, I know I've seen examples of this going wrong but I can't think of them at the moment.

But I do think it's kinda funny that they think making a few tweaks like those are somehow going to move more units. How about the rock formation coming out of his head?

Oh yeah, about the game, MMZ having the touch of death never seemed right to me considering that it was such a melee focused game.

The report doesn't say anything about the midriff being removed in the Japanese version.

Personally I'd just keep the original design (braif + midriff) in the game as an alternative/unlockable skin.

• Thumbs Up 1

The midriff was kind of dumb looking, but I think it was pretty stupid to remove the braid. Good to see that they decided against removing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The report doesn't say anything about the midriff being removed in the Japanese version.

On a second reading, it is more ambiguous than I'd initially thought.  Still, inter-version consistency would be nice - and I would have thought it would make the developers' lives easier.

Midriff exposed never looks right on men lol. Glad they brought the braid back though, seriously what was the point in removing it? Look at this guy, he has a braid!

Anakin-OP.jpg

Does it make him look girly? Well...yeah but it still works! Guys wearing braids are quite common in Western media so I don't understand why they were initially removed. >>

• 1 month later...

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/06/azure-striker-gunvolt-kickass-bosses/

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/07/heres-look-three-stages-azure-striker-gunvolt/

Two new articles on gunvolt, mainly about a few of the bosses we'll be seeing and a little bit more info on the stages. This game seems to be shaping up to be a big hit so I can't wait for it to release some time this summer.

Daytona's human form has to be my favorite looking out of what I've seen so far. I love the military camo pants comboed with some kind of military business suit.

And Elise looks like she will be a BITCH to fight with that special ability of hers.

• 1 year later...

For those who haven't heard already,  Azure Striker Gunvolt is on Steam with new and improved features.

Here's what you aught to know about this particular release:

catch.png
s-shot00.jpg

New Features for the Steam version

• You can play the Steam version on two screens just like the original. Screen sizes and layout can be freely adjusted to your liking!
  • Russian language support has been added, making a total of 8 different language settings.
  • For all you speedrunners out there, a brand new Speedrun Mode has been added, with future updates coming soon.
  • Collectors will have a new set of Steam trading cards to add to their collections
  • Play the original Japanese version of the game complete with Japanese voiceovers and mid-stage dialogue with English subtitles!
  • New updates coming every month for the first 6 months!
Here's a look at the new features for the Steam version
Customize the Screen Layout

s-shot01.png

In order replicate the look and feel of the original version, the Steam version of Gunvolt will be presented with two screens: a main window and a clickable sub-window.
You can customize the layout of the screens however you like and save them for future use. Your custom setting, combined with 3 preset window configurations, and the ability to display the main window in full-screen can be toggled with the F5 key at anytime during gameplay.

8 Language Settings

s-shot02.png

With the addition of Russian language support for the Steam version, Azure Striker Gunvolt is now playable in 8 different languages.

Speedrun Mode

s-shot03.jpg

This new mode gives speedrunners around the world the chance to compete for the best time, with pre-determined settings put in place by the Gunvolt team to maximize efficiency for this challenging new mode. Future updates which will new add features and settings are already planned, so stayed tuned for information about that in the near future.

These will be the settings that Speedrun Mode
will be playable with upon the game's release (Standard settings)

• All mid-stage events and dialogues will be automatically skipped.
  • You will be able save and load Save States at any time during the level. However, when an area of a stage is completed after breaking a Hexapyle, your save state will be reset.
  • Your Pendent equipment slot will be auto-equipped with the "Broken Necklace" item. This cannot be removed at anytime during a speedrun.
  • Lumen will not sing her Anthem for you.
  • Key inputs and a timer will be displayed at all times.
  • And more...
Steam Trading Cards

You will receive 5 out of a possible 10 trading cards in accordance with your gameplay.
Trade with your friends and try to acquire the entire set.
Those who complete the entire set of trading cards will receive a badge
that will unlock icons and wallpapers in Steam Chat.

Japanese Voice Mode

s-shot05.png

In this long-awaited mode, players will be able to play the original Japanese version of the game, which includes ample mid-stage dialogue, all fully voiced in Japanese with English text. The entire script has been re-translated to coincide with the dialogue of the Japanese version of the game. To play the game in Japanese Voice Mode, select it from the Language Settings before starting the game.

6 Months of Free Content Updates

To celebrate the release of the Steam version of the game, free content updates will be coming once a month for the first 6 months after its release.

Here are just a few of some of the planned updates that are on the way:

• New settings for Speedrun Mode
  • Online ranking system for Speedrun Mode
  • Extra Hard Mode
  • Endless Attack Mode
  • (Update contents are subject to change)
Steam Version Launch Promotion

MGbanner00.gif

Until 9/28/2015, everyone who purchases Azure Striker Gunvolt will receive a copy of
Mighty Gunvolt as a free download!

gunvolt.com/en/steam/