Awoo.

One Hit Wonders

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Theres not alot discussions for these guys. the characters that only show up in one game and never come back. I will list all the characters that I see as one hit wonders

Tikal (Sonic Adventure)

Mephiles (Sonic 2006)

Princess Elise (Sonic 2006)

GUN commander (Shadow the Hedgehog)

Professer Pickle (Sonic Unleashed)

Chip (Sonic Unleashed)

Sharha (Sonic and the Secret Rings)

Caliburn (Sonic and the Black Knight)

E102 Gamma (Sonic Adventure)

Shade (Sonic Chronicles)

Yacker (Sonic Colors)

Merlina (Sonic and the Black Knight)

Marine (Sonic Rush Adventure)

Black Doom (Shadow the Hedgehog)

Wiskers (Sonic Rush Adventure)

Johnny (Sonic Rush Adventure)

Erazer Djinn (Sonic and the Secret Rings)

if I miss any let me know.

Now for my list of favorite one hit wonders:

Caliburn - I really like this character. Hes 2nd on my top 5 favorite characters list. he is a no nonesense character to Sonics pure heart and freeness. He is someone who wants Sonic to take his job seriously and sometimes he gets annoy with him long the ways. Sonic and Caliburn fight alot when you go to the stages and it makes it funny. Even though they didnt get along Caliburn still cared about Sonic and he even sacrificed himself while Sonic was taking hits from the Dark Queen.

He also gave his powers to transforme Sonic to Excalibir. Sonic wanted to drop him, but he end up feeling sorrow for Caliburns death. I think that Sonic works well with characters like him. This talking sword is not submissive to Sonic but he is a domant soul. Oh and Caliburn when used in gameplay is pretty awesome and new as you can do new tricks with him. All and all, Caliburn is awesome.

Chip - I really like him to. Hes actually tie with Caliburn in number 2 on my favorite characters list. The nice thing about him is that hes Sonic friend and sidekick but he doesnt take the role away from Tails. But he works well with him. Chips is a funny laid back character and his friendship with Sonic is so cute. I also really like that hes Light Gia... a very powerful being but he doesnt have the personality that goes with it. Hes very happy and laid back.

Oh and hes heroic. Sonic was weak by Dark Gia, instead of running Chip went and defended him with his Light Gia powers. He also put all the temples together at faught Dark Gias final stage along with Sonic. In the end he saves Sonic while the planet was closing. So yeah. I really like him.

Princess Elise - shes on my top 10 favorites list. I like her because shes simple and shes caring. Her design is very elegant and very princess-like except her dress isnt typically flowery and puffy and down to her feet which I find unique in princess dresses. I really like how she was a character to take Sonics advice and insperation to heart. She escape from Dr Eggman twice and even jump off his carrier. When Eggman said he was going to distroy the city she turn her self in to save the city. And she works well with Sonic.

Sharha - hello character with a name I cannot spell. But I like her. shes not a favorite character but yeah. I like how like Caliburn she wants Sonic to focus on the missions on hand. Shes a serious straight character to Sonics free pure heart. I like how she really worry for the main character and shes helpful on the missions. Oh and her design is badass.

The only one hit wonder I dont like is Shade. I find her to be very boring and flat. Shes a poor mans Blaze in my opinion.

But yeah, who are your favorite and least favorite one hit wonders?

• Thumbs Up 5

Everyone loves Gamma. He's one of the few characters that's universally liked.

He's a robot but when he sees his brothers gets disassembled by Eggman, he decided to go free them from their robotic bonds.

He's a robot yes but he's a rather interesting character because of the way he develops. And I guess he does come back in Battle but that's more or less a different Gamma as a way of having Eggman using something other than Emerl clones and everyone forgets that.

But yeah he's an amazing character.

Can Gamma really be considered a one hit wonder when he's appeared in more than one game? (Sonic Battle and as a bonus character in Sonic Shuffle).

out of the list I have to say that Gamma, Merlina and Professer Pickle are the most popular.

My favorite one hit wonders would have to be Chip and Merlina.

I've covered my love for Chip as a character time and time again, but he's got a really cute design, his story of friendship with Sonic is just plain heartwarming, and he turns out to be one of the most useful Sonic characters once we realize his purpose as Light Gaia in the end. I think while he does go over the top in the humor department quite a bit, I find his personality endearing and he's got some charming quirky actions he prefers in the background. He's also a foodie, and I can relate in that aspect.

Merlina's reveal as the true Villain of Sonic and the Black Knight was incredibly unexpected for me, but it does make sense and it complements her character. She isn't necessarily evil, and she isn't doing what she's doing for the sake of being a villain. She wants to save her realm and have it live forever, but she's too naive too see that everything has to die eventually, as that's a part of life. Sonic breaking that through to her at the end of Sonic and the Black Knight is what makes that game's ending so beautiful.

My least favorite one time character would have to be Black Doom, he can go die in a fire. Never mind the fact that his existence as a character is so pointless and redundant it's a wonder he was ever brought in to begin with, but he's one of the most ineffective villains in the series I've ever seen. Shadow can constantly go against his actions in the game and he'll still try to propose his alliance to him while Shadow wrecks his shit up. Sean Schemmel gave a great performance for the character that showcased his range as an actor, but that's the only positive aspect I can think of. Say what you will about characters like Mephiles, but at least they managed to actually get shit done and accomplish something in spite of their idiotic actions along the way.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can Gamma really be considered a one hit wonder when he's appeared in more than one game? (Sonic Battle and as a bonus character in Sonic Shuffle).

Well Shuffle doesn't seem to be canon and that Gamma was made from a dream. Chaos Gamma is a different Gamma altogether so its up in the air.

My favourite out of these is Chip! :)

He's a great character, I loved how he was there to support Sonic as a Werehog. The talk they had after Chip learned he was Light Gaia was really touching and not something you see often in a Sonic game. It was nice. He was also funny, too. I liked how he offered chocolate to just about everyone he met, even Tails (which could kill him since foxes are canines :P). The scene where he gave chocolate to the Phoenix after Sonic pounded it was really cute too. A giant, majestic bird taking chocolate. The ending song about him and Sonic's friendship is one of my favourite vocal themes in the series, it's very sweet.

I wish Chip would come back for another game. Even if it's just to say hi. He was one of the very few one shot characters I actually liked.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not to mention Sonic X and Adventure 2(albeit on technicality).

I agree with all the one's listed in Sonikku-chan's post and I'd like to add 4 more grossly over-looked one-hit wonders to the list.

Fockewulf.pngBearenger.pngCarrotia.pngWitchcart.png

From left to right: Fockewulf, Bearenga, Carrotia, and Witchcart.  I guess really can't blame people for over-looking these 4 since their only appearance was some mediocre, and frustrating, game that was only released in Japan, but think these four could really be turned into great characters, like what the Archie comics did with Bean, Bark, and the Battle Kukku Army.

All their designs seem to be more "Western" then the classic characters, not counting Assface and Black-eyed Ivo.  Whereas other characters have a more Disney-esque thing going on, these designs seem to drawn more inspiration from Looney Tunes.  Fockewulf seems to be the stereotypical cunning cartoon wolf, for Bearenga I've always imagined his voice and personality to be like Father Bear from the Three Bears shorts, Carrotia is the dim-witted flirtatious Southern girl (could possibly be an interesting foil to Bunny Rabbot), and Witchcart is your typical cartoon witch, duh, and I've always imagined her voice and personality to be like Witch Hazel.  Also, lately, for some reason, I've imagined Carrotia with the voice and personality of Mae Kanker from EEnE, not sure why.

Why do I think these character are worth reviving?

1.) For the game universe: Sonic's rogue gallery is in desperate need of expanding beyond Eggman and God Monster of the Week.

2.) For the Archie Comics:  Ian Flynn could make something interesting out of Bean and Bark of all characters, then I'd love to see with these four.

3.) I've always though they had the most interesting designs of the classic characters, having colored eyes before Sonic Adventure came out and their designs were slightly more complex than other classic characters.  I'd love to what their "Modern" appearance would be like!

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, Palas. Tikal is a cutie and it's a damn shame she's dead otherwise we could've seen her in more games. I also really like Marine and wish she was around more, especially hanging out with Blaze. I know her Aussie accent is stereotypical but I don't think she's annoying at all. I like her design, her personality and she's a better sidekick to Blaze than Cream.

Worst one hit wonder? Either Mephiles or Black Doom. Not only are they terrible villains, but their overall designs look really bad and not at all Sonic-y. Well, Mephiles does sort of but he's more like a crystalised Shadow recolour. XP

• Thumbs Up 4

As already said, Chaos Gamma in Battle is completely seperate and doesn't inherit any of the memories from Gamma. Sonic and Tails both ask if he's the real deal in the first chapter and even Amy fights him later on with a chance to ask (though their knowledge of Gamma's name is a plothole, I think?), but he states several times over that he is not the same robot. Rouge seemed to imply he might have been built from the remains of old parts laying around, so it's possible he might be a rebuilt Gamma... if there was anything left of him, and he wasn't just built alongside Omega.

Emerl is easily my favourite of all the one-hit wonders (even though he cheated death (and is still alive(?))), and subsequently Battle's story is probably also my favourite in the series. Creating one lone new character that interacts with practically all of the modern cast and bringing so many of them together under one link, helping to form a continuous story and raising what is almost literally a newborn baby into a powerfully developed character, prompting a both equally fun and serious story with a powerful ending. Not even speaking of how much fun he is to play as, being able to customize him however you wanted to any sort of playstyle or even just being an unbeatable overpowered little slugger, being the central figure of quite the admirable (and even portable!) 'Sonic's Smash Bros'.

Also, even though they don't have any real personalities outside of what Archie Sonic's done with them and are incredibly obscure otherwise, I think the Battle Kukkus have the potential to be some of the more admirable and quirky full-on villains just on the basis they're animals like most of the other characters, yet are utterly evil with their very own technology, army and flying (now sunken) fortress. Along with having a singular hatred for only Tails on account of him being the one that stopped them single-handedly before, which would be huge potential for doing another Tails game without having to do anything like they did with Shadow.

I don't like Gamma (nor Omega) so I won't say he's "universally" liked...

I think hes eh to but hes pretty much very popular along with Prof Pickle.

When it comes to Pickle I.... think hes eh. I mean I like his design and I like how hes into cucumber sandwiches. But hes just like any other help character or historian figure. so... :(

Gotta give props to Emerl. You see his character grow from nothing to a living, loving person through his story. He has a unique relationship with each character, has a few one liners (Yo punch ain't got no juice foo!) and I do actually feel sorry when he dies. Advance 3 brought his corpse back and made him Cream's slave but really, his character had changed so much it wasn't really him. Heck, Chronicles was closer and he just got a mention there.

• Thumbs Up 3

Caliburn and Shahra in particular struck such a chord with me that each of them actually have a firm position in my top 10 favorite Sonic characters list.

They're both really under-appreciated characters who I'd say got phenomenally better writing in the single games they featured in than what most of the "main cast" does these days over multiple games or in some instances, what they even got beforehand. Which strikes me as incredibly ironic. And as far as I'm concerned, quite a bit of the contempt I've seen them garner is a result of some kind of self-entitled view that established characters should always take complete prominence above characters like them by so-called 'merit' of being 'main'.

The irony yet again is that these characters actually have a real role in the narrative and aren't generic cheerleaders cast on the backburner. Which again is more than what many of the 'main cast' can attest to.

So anyways, Shahra and Caliburn.

One of the things that makes them work so well is the way they're utilized alongside Sonic. They both serve to some extent to 'ground' Sonic and get him to focus on the task at hand in a believable fashion. They both act as his foil and contrast nicely with him.

Shahra's propensity for getting occasionally a touch irritated with Sonic's lighthearted nature is obviously born from her own concerns about whether or not he takes saving the book seriously. This is evidenced by the manner in which she actually wonders to herself out loud "Please someone tell me this isn't happening?" in the intro and "Please take this matter seriously!" in the cutscene in which the pirates fire cannons at them in Pirate Storm (In the Japanese version) alongside other instances in gameplay when she voices feelings akin to horror and disdain when Sonic treats dangerous situations like they're enormous fun to him.

That dynamic of the rarely-serious jesting hero and the sidekick who often voices discontent with the hero's inability to be as focused and serious as she expects him to be and her lack of hesitance to voice issue with Sonic's lack-a-daisy attitude yet not even flinch for a second regarding his wishes of her and even flinging herself in front of him to take a fatal strike intended for him is really quite awesome. It's the reason as to why Sonic's and Shahra's character relationship is so cool to me personally aside from Sonic's mannerisms towards her. But I'm focusing on Shahra so...

And Caliburn? You know what? I don't really think there's any other character in this series who is like Caliburn at all and that makes him stand-out all the more. He has a highly unique personality and to me, he's like Colours-Lost World Tails regarding the propensity for knocking Sonic off his pedestal except done far, far better. I suppose that's partly because that's Caliburn's entire getup as the strict instructor who has high expectations of his wielder considering the apparent stock he puts in whoever pulls him as "The Chosen One". The way he clashes with Sonic is actually funny rather than cringeworthy because Sonic gives back as good as he gets when Caliburn takes the piss out of his boastfulness and doesn't resort to acting embarrassed at it for the sake of 'humor', since their prattle is already funny enough. Their character interactions were funny without being overdone and annoying or taking over-prominence in the narrative.

What makes Caliburn's development as Sonic's partner who gradually grows to respect him is how good it is. Caliburn initially questions the manner in which Sonic acts, whether it be his attitude to knightly chivalry ("Why didn't you deal Lancelot the final blow? Such chivalry is an insult to a knight!") or the way he handles situations that clash with what he already set himself to ("You fool!" when Sonic decides to rescue the kid's folks before completing Nimue's tests) yet you can tell that he eventually grows to accept how Sonic goes about his business because what he did were ultimately the right things to do. This is shown particularly well when he bestows knighthood upon Sonic when he saved Percival without regard to his own safety. It also shows Caliburn for the receptive partner that he is since he's characterized as gradually accepting Sonic's stance on matters and yet he still insists on not getting close to him possibly out of professionalism (Sonic; "I'm getting close to you too"  Caliburn; "That's precisely what I told you not to do"). In fact, Sonic's line there backs-up why he was so upset when Merlina bisected Caliburn.

I'm only mentioning in-cutscene examples to reason why these two characters are truly great In my view. The in-level banter makes them even more endearing tongue.png

Chip is also a really good one shot character who gets shit for no particularly good reason from what I've heard so far, one of the most gratuitous and bullshitty of which is the falsehood that he "stole Tails' role". I mean fucking hell, these detractors go-on as if Tails hadn't had 16 previous years of focus and was permanently shunted-aside regarding his position as Sonic's brother just because Chip took justified prominence in a single game.

• Thumbs Up 5

SA1's one-hit-wonders were pretty much my favorites. Tikal is adorable, the echidna tribe is just so interesting, Chaos is too awesome in concept, the E-series is great (Beta is badass and Zero is wonderfully dumb).. and Gamma. Oh my dearest Gamma, what a simple, beautiful character. SA1 cast, I miss you all so much. :'v

I also really miss Professor Pickle. Seriously, he's just wonderful to have around. He's funny, whimsical, an archeologist / college professor (come on now that's awesome), and he's another human member of the cast! He needs to reappear someday; you can do so much with him.

• Thumbs Up 3

S&K's Eggrobo, who I think for all purposes accomplishes more as a dragon to Eggman that Metal ever did in almost all of his (non-comic) incarnations. Though I'm not sure if he was programmed to do so by Eggman or malfunctioned, he essentially took the reigns after Eggman's defeat in Sonic's story and captured Knuckles near the game's end with the Master Emerald nearby. Had Mecha Sonic not upstaged/destroyed him, he, for all intents and purposes, would have had won (at least until Sonic's Big Damn Heroes moment).

Speaking of which, Mecha Sonic is pretty cool as well. Nice design (though not as good as Metal's), good attack moveset (a mix of Metal and Silver Sonic/S2 Mecha Sonic as well as his Super form attacks and his choice of throwback bosses), and one badass final boss via Master Emerald-fueled Super transformation.

I like Marine and would like to see her appear again in a future game altough I know it is unlikely. In Sonic Boom, I hope their is either a Sonic Rush Adventure adaption which I doubt will happen or at least see her have a few comics. I did not mind in Rush Adventure, altough she was quite hyperactive and I believe a lot of the Sonic fanbase do not particulary care for her.

E102 Gamma was one of my favourite characters in SA1, if there ever is a Sonic Adventure 3 I would bring him back. Not as a playable character, but as NPC having a major role in the story.

Chip was a pretty hilarious character and a good sidekick for Sonic in Unleashed.

Also liked Professor Pickle in Unleashed. I hope he appears in Sonic Boom and it'd be interested to see how he would be redesigned.

In terms of villains, I probably like Erazor and Merlina the best. Not only are they villains who are a refreshing change of pace from Eggman, but both of them are pretty interesting in their own right. Both of them due to the somewhat tragic nature of their villainy, they're both trapped in stories where they are doomed to fail no matter what they do. Erazor just said "screw it" and decided to kill everything, and Merlina tried desperately to preserve this world.

I miss having villains with some complex motivations.

Erazor Djinn is the best one-shot evil villain. He's kind of like Mephiles. Except actually done very well instead of terribly bad. Merlina's also great but for the moment I'm referencing a villain who is truly and utterly villainous.

He knows what he wants and how to get it and he formulates a really diabolical plan in order to pull it off. He clearly has knowledge about his limitations in regards to the Macguffin's and how to tap into their power, that their collector must be sacrificed to gain true control over them as indicated by his own recitation of the rules regarding them in one of the last cutscenes. Therefore he actually knows what he's doing and, going by the overall effectiveness of his plan that only failed due to one single factor, knew how to pull his plan off fairly effectively.

He wastes no time in attacking who he initially considers a threat to his plan as indicated by the fact that he tried to slice Sonic apart without any words upon setting sights on him for the first time since he already had an pawn in the form of Shahra. Even when she states that she has not and will not gather the rings for him, he attempts to put her in a position by which she would have no choice but hits Sonic instead and then immediately turns the situation around to his advantage regardless. He has control over Sonic himself and even his fate in just the second cutscene into the game. And Sonic knows it. Just look at how he comes to the realization that flame arrow or no flame arrow, he's doomed regardless;

http://youtu.be/p8ZFFfCIfWA?t=37s

And even though he was evidently adept at slicing-up and absorbing the world for his own benefit ("His power is nearly godlike" in the words of King Solomon), even that isn't good enough for him. He even goes to the lengths of personally summoning a robot djinn from the very depths of hell itself just for the purpose of burning the book's remaining pages, that's how far his hatred towards the book stretched. And to add insult, Sonic couldn't even touch him specifically because of his flame arrow which had been inflicted upon him by Erazor in the first place and so has to go on another excursion whilst already pressed for time just to find the means to weaken the Ifrit so he can even the playing field.

Sure Erazor doesn't often make appearances throughout the rest of the game's story but then truth be told he didn't really need to when he had his pawns doing the work for him. And yet when he's mentioned by Shahra when Sonic asks her about his nature as the genie of the lamp, his motivations and reasons for doing what he does suddenly have a meaning - It's implied that he became what he became due to his written fate and it could even be interpreted that at some point, he was actually friendly (As indicated by certain entries in the Special Book and Shahra's connection to him) but became a supreme dick because he behavior may have been dictated.

Still, he shows nothing but ruthlessness and cold-hearted bastardy when he slaughters Shahra by accident when he was aiming to kill Sonic, even mocking her power in comparison to his right after killing her. I think that apart from his sheer defiance towards Sonic even when Sonic has the upper hand, that was when it's truly indicated that Erazor passed the moral event horizon and from then on deserved everything he got. I mean dayum, you can't deny that it was really ballsy how he continued to mock Sonic whilst he was being condemned.

So yeah, Erazor's a seriously cool one-shot villain who is amongst the most evil and greatest villains in the entire series and I think it speaks volumes about how dangerous he is when you take into account what Sonic did to him.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ahhh how could I forgot Professor Pickle? He's charming, he's smart...and he just loves cucumber sandwiches. His lack of eyes does sort of reminds me of Mr Magoo but hey, his bushy eyebrows are all kinds of epic!

I was actually hoping that they would make the Pickle a more prominent character after Sonic Unleashed, since he's probably the only human character with lots of personality and he could have been helpful for both Sonic and Tails. But no, SEGA ignores him once again. >>

Ahhh how could I forgot Professor Pickle? He's charming, he's smart...and he just loves cucumber sandwiches. His lack of eyes does sort of reminds me of Mr Magoo but hey, his bushy eyebrows are all kinds of epic!

Actually, Pickle does have eyes, they're actually defined on his textures even though they're never shown.

Ready?

2afka2s.png

Yep, he's a geriatric Brock mellow.png