Awoo.

Be Cool Scooby-Doo!

ElectricAngel

XufWROy.jpg   

So in case you haven't heard, Warner Bros. is bringing back Scooby-Doo. No, not in a serious, story driven way they did with Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, but in a new "comedic" way akin to the toons of the old days. We have no release date as of now but I assume the show will air around the 2014/2015 season as the article I got this from mentioned Sonic Boom and The Tom and Jerry Show as part of the new toon lineup. 

Be Cool Scooby-Doo!: Be Cool Scooby-Doo! is an all-new 22-minute animated comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation. The Scooby gang is back with a modern comedic twist on the beloved classic. With high school over and one last summer to live it up, the gang hits the road in the Mystery Machine, chasing fun and adventure. But monsters and mayhem keep getting in the way.

To be honest, it kind of sounds like Phineas & Ferb: Scooby-Doo edition. The art style looks like a huge step back from Mystery Incorporated, but I'll keep an open mind. Perhaps the art style will fit the writing style of the show. It is a comedy after all, so I guess making the character designs a bit more wacky helps fit them in the new comedic universe better. What do you think? Discuss. 

Source: http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationscoop/wabbit-a-looney-tunes-production-toplines-cartoon-network-upfront-presentation

• Thumbs Up 2

I already know its gonna have nowhere near the amount of storytelling or lore that Incorporated established, but let's hope its at least entertaining to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

What was wrong with Mystery Incorporated? 

I've never been a fan of Scooby Doo, but just by looking at Scooby, I'm getting a Teen Titans Go vibe from this, and that show has some of the worst, most bastardized writing, characterization and animation I've ever seen. Do we really need more of that?

After the sterile, bland piece of nothing "What's New Scooby Do" was (the LAST attempt to have a modern interpretation of the classic Scooby Doo formula) I'm kinda weary about this, I mean at the very least it looks like it will try to have more of an edge to it. Still though, ill miss Mystery Inc a great deal.

Will it be a good or bad "edge"? Guess ill wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Before everyone starts questioning what happened to mystery incorporated, it actually had an ending, and a pretty clever one at that. I'm fine with them not continuing it.

This doesn't look very good though...

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow this came out of the blue this sounds...interesting maybe this will be good

Honestly, the art style worries me a bit but I will try and remain optimistic. This seems to be going back to the formula of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, and What's New Scooby-Doo (looking at the title). Both of those shows were pretty fun to watch and I still catch them whenever I can on Boomerang. The only time Warner Bros. made a bad Scooby-Doo show was with Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue. We can at least be thankful this version won't have Scooby-Doo with superpowers and a villain who wants to rule the world.

LOOK AT THIS FACE.

aJhqaij.jpg

CLOSER.

BYKOw25.jpg

There.

That, my good friends, is the face of someone who has seen Hell.  This is the face that the villain of every movie has shortly before they suffer a gruesome death, only Scooby (being a protagonist and therefore immune to death) did not have the luxury of dying and will have to live with images of the underworld for the rest of his eternal life.

Seriously, though, that art is pretty... well, it's no worse than most cartoons these days, but still.  Yikes.  I'll still give the show a watch or two, though.  It could be interesting.  I'm also interested to see the Bugs Bunny one, but if Looney Tunes are anything like Tom & Jerry's recent iterations, I don't exactly have high hopes for it. 

I'm really not sure why but I feel as though i've seen that face before, not exactly sure why but the artstyle also reminds me a bit of something else but I can't really think of it.

I'm really not sure why but I feel as though i've seen that face before, not exactly sure why but the artstyle also reminds me a bit of something else but I can't really think of it.

Yes. When I first saw the image, I thought to myself "I've seen this before". The fact that I don't remember where I saw it from is bad news. Meaning the show that used that kind of face, probably wasn't successful and/or a good show in general. But the closest thing I can think of that uses that face is some flash animator on YouTube. Not sure what his videos were like or what his channel's name was, but it definitive reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube a while ago. 

Scooby Doo Boom.

Cartoon Network has a serious obsession with action-comedy shows.

My reaction to Scooby's face:

BYKOw25.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Poor Scooby, it looks like all the reboots and revivals are beginning to take a toll on him.

I really really liked Mystery Incorporated, so I hope this just as good.

it wont :C

I watched the first season of Mystery Incorporated and wasn't disappointed to miss the second.  The individual episode mysteries were rarely very good simply as the number of suspects for each of them was highly limited; it seems like often there'd be exactly as many new characters as there were monsters in each episode, and so there was not in fact any mystery as to who could be responsible.  And then apparently the story arc ended up with a load of magic and the universe being reset?  Which is fundamentally opposed to what I want from Scooby-Doo, which is pure rationality.  If magic really exists, then there is no point in investigating any of the supernatural creatures that show up as there is no reason why they shouldn't be completely credible.

Anyway.  The art style of the new show looks somewhat ugly to me, and I'm not really interested if there's no mystery aspect.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Scooby-Doo show without a mystery aspect is the equivalent to a mainstream Mario game with no platforming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically echoing whats already been said here. Going by the logo alone and nothing else, I'm getting a "cheap cash in/poorly animated flash series" vibe from this idea. It'll likely be a step down from Mystery Inc, which was the best thing to happen to Scooby in years (minus, in my opinion, the serious elements such as the Shaggy/Velma shipping going on).

With high school over and one last summer to live it up

Pffffffffft. College summer vacation for life babyyyy yeahhhh.  okay yeah I'm totally taking summer courses so as to be productive with my time

Scoobs looks like a crackhead, I love it.

I dunno, I'm not much into Scooby Doo but I like the new design.

Oh jesus, is it me or does that art style look like Teen Titans Go!'s style?

I'd compare it more to Fairly Odd Parents, personally.  The colors aren't nearly as overtly-bright and obtrusive as in TTG.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fairly oddparents art style really does not fit with Scooby-Doo.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's up with Scooby's face? It looks really odd to me. As I said in the Cartoon Network topic, I'm on the fence about this since we just had mystery Inc not look long ago which I thought wasn't that bad to begin with. I'll wait and see how this one turns out, but I think they're moving too quickly in terms of new series.

I'd compare it more to Fairly Odd Parents, personally.  The colors aren't nearly as overtly-bright and obtrusive as in TTG.

I'd say the same. When I saw the art style, I knew I saw it somewhere before, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Looks a lot like cartoons in general these days, but it makes me wonder what the backgrounds will be like. Will they be awesome and beautiful like in Gravity Falls, or the same style as everything else like in a lot of others? I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else when I say that I'm getting a strong Teen Titans Go! vibe from this.

Looks like TTG Art style is gonna take over D:

But on a serious note I haven't been really big on Scooby Doo but recently have watched a lot of it and have been pleased with what I saw, from movies to Inc. I wasnt really with inc, but it has grown on me some. But seeing this, even as a nonScooby fan, think this might be a stretch. Looks like Scooby Dooby Doo Go! And thats no good. (imo) but guess I'll have to wait and see if this one can catch me off gaurd and hook me like the others recently have.

Sidenoteç Cartoon Network is having some show balance trouble it looks like. I'm not against action comedy but even the Saturday action slots are being filled with AC. :/ guess Boom won't ever go full action :P

I liked What's New Scooby Doo. I was never able to get into Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, but it looked cool and I read up on the lore, it was quite decent (I'm mixed on the ending though). But this new series already looks to be off to a bad start based on that horrible unfitting art style.