Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I would still love to see someone that can draw and is a half decent writer to pop up some quick sketches of The Sara-Lu Annals  : The Broken Day After. With but the minimum of character and story changes so it falls under Penders own law skirting version of 'originality'. Then to have someone pop it up on his Twitter and mention he might be pipped at the post as this person is making more headway than he is.

See if he treats that as infringement, then use his own statements about different personalities and designs etc against him. Would be a laugh.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sorry for the double post, no one has commented since my last one. Question Time : Who redesigned Evil Sonic into Scourge, I'm guessing Ian did the story elements etc but who's design/art/creation is Scourge again? I have tried to look online but everywhere you look it says Penders created and designed him, which is a load of bull. 

On 1/7/2016 at 10:43 PM, TheFatPanda said:

Random thing I came across while searching tumblr.

ive seen comics written in a Z format. so i dont understand whats the problem and saying "I AM??!!" (notice how i bolded the question marks) doesnt imply that the doctor is the father when read the in a left to right format.

Im sorry but it seems like people are trying to find anything and eveything to ridicule this guy.

3 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

ive seen comics written in a Z format. so i dont understand whats the problem and saying "I AM??!!" (notice how i bolded the question marks) doesnt imply that the doctor is the father when read the in a left to right format.

Im sorry but it seems like people are trying to find anything and eveything to ridicule this guy.

The problem is Z format only really works if there's something to denote that it is that format, such as the staggering of the panels. The "I AM?!" is probably not what they meant when they said that the doctor was the father, and more taking into account the conversation when read backwards. I'm all for taking some heat off the guy for stuff he doesn't deserve, but sometimes just saying "X has been done before so he can't be blamed for it" doesn't cut it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The Ultimate Loaform said:

Issue 160 was the first issue that Flynn wrote and Yardley pencilled. It's probably Yardley.

IIR, it was Spaz.

Does it really matter who was responsible for the redesign? Remember, according to Pender's logic Scourge is based entirely on Evil Sonic despite the heavy design changes, while Evil Sonic is a totally original character who is in no way based off Sonic the Hedgehog despite looking just like him.

• Thumbs Up 5

Seriously. This is a guy who once tried to lay claim to Eggman, because a character called 'Robo-Robotnik' was used to introduce the design into the comic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

So I've been bumming around on ebay and found Penders ebay account. Someone should ask on twitter why in the genesis shipping a phone case or a patch costs over $20. 

Does shipping small items cost a lot in the US? Is it for insurance? Premium tracking? 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Mightyray said:

So I've been bumming around on ebay and found Penders ebay account. Someone should ask on twitter why in the genesis shipping a phone case or a patch costs over $20. 

Does shipping small items cost a lot in the US? Is it for insurance? Premium tracking? 

The only times I've ever paid $20 shipping (or more) was to get stuff shipped TO the US. I'm not entirely sure what shipping options he's using that cost that much, but that's actually pretty high for within the country and for such small items.

EDIT: Having looked, the comics he's selling are only $4 shipping; I haven't seen the phone cases or whatever, so I really have no idea unless this is just his way of making back a little extra money on them.

EDIT2: Seems like you misread; the listings have shipping set at $2 for the patches, and $2.50 for the phone cases. Seems reasonable enough. $20 for the case itself is pretty ridiculous however.

My bad I misread.

It costs $21.06 US to send the patch to Aussieland via international priority shipping (Which is $30.19 in Aussie Dollars). If I wanted the phone case it would cost me $23.62 to send the patch to Aussieland via international priority shipping (Which is $33.86 in Aussie Dollars) plus the $20.00 US to buy the case (Which is $28.67 in Aussiedollars).

Once again Aussieland keeps getting the expensive end of the international postage service. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bad, I was just looking at it locally, I wasn't really thinking about him shipping things abroad, but admittedly, I don't think those rates are entirely his fault. Speaking from experience, international shipping in general gets pricy fast.

Yeah, it's not entirely Mr Penders' fault... our dollar is garbage at the moment and postal services love charging huge amounts, well, here in Oz they do anyway. 

Your not alone there, NZ is just as bad. We get it worse in the general pricing too.

Oh it's $29.99 in the U.S., and $39.99 Australian you say, well lets see, a single person could order it online from the US retailer and pay standard shipping rates and get it for around $45'ish NZ. We buy in bulk and ship in bulk so let's pass the savings onto the consumer,  $69.99 NZ retail price sounds sounds fair, let's go with that.

Local distributors are dicks, and the retailer's feign ignorance as to why so many people are shopping overseas, blaming customers for retail chains failing to sell product. *Ahem* Sorry, personal pet peeve.

Anywho. I notice Penders has ignored all my tweets bar the one he felt he could refute with his personal facts about when he came up with the idea for an issues story. Basically telling me I was wrong about the issue number he debuted in since it was apparently meant to be the issue before the first one hes credited with, but it got pushed back for unknown reasons.

Don't know how that makes me wrong, it WAS the first one with his submitted story in, it WAS the first one on shelves and printed. The fact it may have meant to be the in the issue before doesn't mean it makes an issue without any of his stories his debut issue...that's mental.

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

Anywho. I notice Penders has ignored all my tweets bar the one he felt he could refute with his personal facts about when he came up with the idea for an issues story. Basically telling me I was wrong about the issue number he debuted in since it was apparently meant to be the issue before the first one hes credited with, but it got pushed back for unknown reasons.

Maybe he ignored you not because he didn't want to answer your questions but because you came off as a troll in his eyes. There's a big difference between a legitimate conversation and just bugging him to star some s*** that can be used to mock him on this forum.

7 minutes ago, Idon'tcare said:

Maybe he ignored you not because he didn't want to answer your questions but because you came off as a troll in his eyes. There's a big difference between a legitimate conversation and just bugging him to star some s*** that can be used to mock him on this forum.

No, he didn't respond because he knows for a fact he can't come up with any legit counter-arguments, and before someone says "But Ryan, that's just speculation and that's unfair". No it's not. He literally does that all the time. If he can't refute the point, then he won't bother making a reply to it. Even the points he does refute to doesn't have sound counter-arguments either, and only end up getting further destroyed to the point where Penders won't even reply to it again. He won't reply to Tenko because he knows for a fact he can't.

• Thumbs Up 7

I wouldn't purposefully start trouble just to report back here. I do however report what I see there from time to time when it gets my goat, to discuss it here with like minded people.

I only recently signed up to Twitter and have only cut into his conversations when he seems to be going on about something we havent previously heard about (that 'Princess Sally' game, which came from a convo I was having with Mustang about how Penders couldnt have been asked to work on the Sonic-16 game as he hadn't had anything to do with SatAM or the comics at the time it was in production), when he was trying to tell someone Knuckles had no story elements to work with before he came along and made them all up (which was bull, and I simply pointed out all the official plot/story/friends/enemies Knux had at the time he could have drawn on), and just the other day when I let someone know Penders wasnt responsible for Scourge, as he (the fan) seemed to be under the impression Scourge post transformation and his story arcs were Penders doing and was thanking him for his favourite character. Creators rights and all that jazz, can't go letting Penders get credit for Ians hard work.

The only one of those Penders replied to was the SatAM/Sonic-16 one that ended up derailing into the topic about a Princess Sally game.

• Thumbs Up 2

See, I'm nice. Seriously biting my tongue tho when Penders reasoning behind the Sonic movie being dead in the water is "They haven't done anything of note in pre-production".

Nothing we have seen yes, but if that was a valid reason then his series must all be 'dead' too right? Couple character designs, a cover page and one page of a separate prequel mini comic in how many years? Yet he expects Sega to be pumping out info in little over a year since the movie was greenlit and announced to finally be in production?

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Tenko said:

See, I'm nice. Seriously biting my tongue tho when Penders reasoning behind the Sonic movie being dead in the water is "They haven't done anything of note in pre-production".

Nothing we have seen yes, but if that was a valid reason then his series must all be 'dead' too right? Couple character designs, a cover page and one page of a separate prequel mini comic in how many years? Yet he expects Sega to be pumping out info in little over a year since the movie was greenlit and announced to finally be in production?

Are both of you talking about the same film project?  You're talking about the current Sonic movie thing, right?  I thought Ken was referring to the one he tried working with Sega on 10+ years ago.

EDIT: I re-read the tweets, and I'm still a bit confused at how that conversation got to where it is now.  Did I miss something?

Edited by Tylinos

Yeah, I'd find it incredibly weird that he'd have ANY kind of insight into any current Sonic film stuff, given that SEGA sure as hell wouldn't be clueing him in on anything. Further, I really wouldn't bother engaging in him anyway. It's a fruitless thing no matter how you go about it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Are both of you talking about the same film project?  You're talking about the current Sonic movie thing, right?  I thought Ken was referring to the one he tried working with Sega on 10+ years ago.

Yeah, his original comment was about his movie he tried pitching. But I said Sega were now making their own one, which is when he replied saying it won't see the light of day, especially before the 25th is over.

Edit : He was showing off a video that his son sent him apparently. Was basically making fun of Sonics fragmented stories etc and he mentioned in the post that his movie that he pitched would have fixed what was currently wrong with the series.

That's where I chipped in reminding him they are currently making a movie. Then he shot me down saying it would never see the light of day.

Now your caught up :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, yeah, I see where I got confused there.  I was reading the conversation through his Twitter, and for some stupid reason, Twitter's conversation log for it decided it'd be a great idea to skip out on the part where you told him everything was going to be okay since they were making a new movie now.  Instead, it just looked like Ken started talking about having a movie ready for the 25th out of nowhere.

Still doesn't make Ken acting like he knows the inner workings of the new movie make any more sense, but hey, that's just Ken.

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparently according to Penders the movie HAS to be PG-13 or it will be "dead in the water". He seems to like using that one today.

I asked him why he thought that, when all of Sonic's game outings are G rated with the exception of Black Knight and Shadow the Hedgehog due to use of real world weapons. Why would a movie about a blue cartoon hedgehog and his animal friends, one that's always aimed for children as it's target audience, want to go for a PG-13 rating?

Will see what he says tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1