Spin Attaxx

6 hours ago, Aquaslash said:

LMAO is that a Street Shark?

Great, now I can't unsee that. :lol:

Also, haha "lawyers are sharks."

The pinnacle of humor, Penders. 

thats sarcasm if it wasn't obvious

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually think that shark design has great comedy value.  For once the realistic proportions are used in a way that looks intentionally absurd and cartoony, with it ridiculously standing on its tail flipper, and most of its body being an bulky head lined with jagged teeth.  Maybe not very Sonic-like, but it's surprisingly charming.  Credit where credit's due!

• Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

I actually think that shark design has great comedy value.  For once the realistic proportions are used in a way that looks intentionally absurd and cartoony, with it ridiculously standing on its tail flipper, and most of its body being an bulky head lined with jagged teeth.  Maybe not very Sonic-like, but it's surprisingly charming.  Credit where credit's due!

Penders: But this is serious business!

• Nice Smile 3
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Ken announced today that Fulop is gearing up for another legal battle with Archie:

I assume the "friend" here is either Fulop telling Ken himself, or Fulop asking Ken to sign an affidavit or the like regarding contracts.  I also assume that it wasn't exactly Fulop's intent for Ken to just casually reveal his hand in public like that, but that's Ken for you.

Also, I'm not really sure why Ken felt the need to add that cocky remark at the end there.  He does remember that the last time Fulop went up against Archie, the judge ruled against him, right?  (That, of course, doesn't mean Fulop couldn't win this time, but it also means Archie really doesn't feel any need to immediately give up, so...)

Penders has a weird, desperate tendency to try and project himself as someone who knows things behind the scenes and is somebody fairly important within the comics industry. It's not really that surprising that he couldn't keep this under wraps. 

As for that last remark, recall this is Penders- he's earnestly convinced he won his case because he had a great argument and not because of the spectacular incompetence of Archie. He seems to sincerely believe that his connection guarantees victory, so of course, he's playing the part of Internet Badass rather nicely. 

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

One other thing that he tweeted a little after that:

He's brought this up before, but there's something that bugged me about this claim.  Namely that it's highly misleading.

Although I assume he simply didn't care because it didn't feature any of his work, Archie released Sonic: The Beginning in 2003, which is definitely before he left the company, not "years" later.  Heck, even if he meant the main reprints, Archie started them full-time with the Archives series just a few months he left.  (Ken announced he was leaving in December 2005, and Archives #1 was announced in August 2006.)  There could certainly be a link there, but saying it was "years" later is outright false.  (Also, even if he asked about royalties when Firsts was originally released as a graphic novel, there apparently wasn't a problem when they later re-reprinted it as part of the Super Special series.)

Misleading information like that just really bugs me, because there will always be people who inevitably assume it's true, and spread it further.

(Speaking of which, can he please stop spreading the claim that IDW is responsible for the Star Trek reprint collection that Eaglemoss is doing?  If he wants to complain about IDW for the TSR reprints, sure, but the Star Trek collection isn't them.)

Ken Penders? Misleading people about things in order to make himself look better? Gasp of horror! Can we trust NOBODY these days? 

Yeah, not much else that can be said there. It's dishonest and he should be ashamed of himself, but frankly, Penders long ago proved that shame was far too much effort for a man such as him. 

• Thumbs Up 7

On 20/10/2017 at 3:32 AM, goku262002 said:

Makes sense considering they have ninja turtles proportions, look at Mighty, this dude clearly didn't know how to draw sonic characters and went with what he knew.

None of them knew how to draw Sonic characters, which was a big turn off for me for these comics for the longest time.

Yeah the comics during this time were mostly terribly drawn. The cover art would be something drawn by Spaz which looked amazing;

latest?cb=20090405032523

Only you’d open the comic and be greeted by THIS crap...

SjRiU.jpg

Ron Lim was another artist who worked on the comics at the time who just could not draw Sonic characters. Humans yes, but definitely not furries. 

Btw, have I missed any important Ken Penders news? I haven’t caught up in ages. =P

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Btw, have I missed any important Ken Penders news? I haven’t caught up in ages. =P

Beyond the usual of him acting like a jackass, not a whole lot. The biggest news we've gotten is that evidently Penders is focusing almost entirely on the App and the Prequel story that goes with it... to the point where he's justified himself by claiming that once its released, the 'infrastructure for release' will be in place and that things will flow smoothly afterwards. Yeeeah. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

Yeah the comics during this time were mostly terribly drawn. The cover art would be something drawn by Spaz which looked amazing;

latest?cb=20090405032523

Only you’d open the comic and be greeted by THIS crap...

SjRiU.jpg

Ron Lim was another artist who worked on the comics at the time who just could not draw Sonic characters. Humans yes, but definitely not furries. 

I think this was around the point I quit reading, because it felt like I was constantly being sold a false bill of goods.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

It was a combination of three things that made me bail on Archie Sonic back in the day: the fact that I was getting older and aging out of that type of storytelling, the fact that it was more furry melodrama than action, and the continually declining artwork. Ron Lim is someone I'll usually refer to when trying to put the latter in perspective because good christ the guy just didn't get how to draw Sonic, yet had a very long run on the book. Archie worked with a lot of people around that era that just didn't know or care to learn how to draw Sonic characters, they just got their check and called it a day, and that sounds about right under Pender's leadership and Archie's lax - almost not existent - oversight.

And here's the thing about Ron Lim, if you go look up his artwork you'll find that he's more than competent, he's pretty damn good. It's a shame his talent was wasted on a comic that he couldn't acclimate his style to.

Sorry, slightly off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Pointed out some of your issues Tylinos, since I know you don't like getting personally involved much anymore, will see how he responds. I'm not going to get roped into a debate this time, promising myself that, last time almost did my head in haha.

I don't like his misinformation spreading just as much, as you know, so it's worth it just to see his response.

He's going on about the Archie back catalog now, and it supposidly being hot property, one that IDW and Sega would be clamoring to get their hands on to exploit apparently. Regardless of the fact they have shown no interest and clearly haven't contacted him and are starting fresh etc. He's also making out that Archie are likely wanting to reprint or sell what little they own for their own profit or to IDW and Sega to make use of but...hold the phone..they can't cause he and the other creators own it all from 1993-2005 so a deal must be made.

Its like dude, seriously, they have ALL moved on, and it's not as hot a property as you seem to believe. For someone over the whole thing and moving on with his work, he sure likes to force subject back to the Archie material and continuously tries to make it sound super important and that Sega and the others are going to have to come back to it at some point as they can't just ignore it etc etc.

More impressing how he personally feels onto others basically. He can't move on, so they totally can't, they will be back, you will see, they all come back in the end. 

Link Ken to that interview with the team where they said they have no idea who he is. That'll show how much they are clamoring for his work.

• Chuckle 1

38 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Pointed out some of your issues Tylinos, since I know you don't like getting personally involved much anymore, will see how he responds. I'm not going to get roped into a debate this time, promising myself that, last time almost did my head in haha.

Heh, appreciated.  Getting into a debate's the main reason why I don't bother engaging with him, since I don't want to clutter my Twitter.  (Pretty much the one rule I set for myself when I signed up over there.)

And hey, look, he responded already.

You know, I'm completely and utterly unsurprised that of all the responses he could have made, he decided to go the pedantic route.  Ken, IDW was "involved" in that they're among the companies that Eaglemoss reprinted from.  They're not the actual publishers.

...Wait a second.  Ken, if you're so against these reprints being made, then why do you have copies of them?

38 minutes ago, Tenko said:

He's going on about the Archie back catalog now, and it supposidly being hot property, one that IDW and Sega would be clamoring to get their hands on to exploit apparently. Regardless of the fact they have shown no interest and clearly haven't contacted him and are starting fresh etc. He's also making out that Archie are likely wanting to reprint or sell what little they own for their own profit or to IDW and Sega to make use of but...hold the phone..they can't cause he and the other creators own it all from 1993-2005 so a deal must be made.

Its like dude, seriously, they have ALL moved on, and it's not as hot a property as you seem to believe. For someone over the whole thing and moving on with his work, he sure likes to force subject back to the Archie material and continuously tries to make it sound super important and that Sega and the others are going to have to come back to it at some point as they can't just ignore it etc etc.

More impressing how he personally feels onto others basically. He can't move on, so they totally can't, they will be back, you will see, they all come back in the end. 

Pretty much.  He just doesn't get that there are way less complicated ways for them to earn money here, and that his work really isn't as important as he thinks.  And if IDW was desperate to reprint Archie stuff anyway, they'd go for the very-legally-uncomplicated post-reboot material, especially since I doubt they'd need to pay royalties there.  Path of least resistance for a company that's looking to make a profit.

22 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Link Ken to that interview with the team where they said they have no idea who he is. That'll show how much they are clamoring for his work.

Someone already did.  Ken's response was basically a "yeah no".

• Thumbs Up 7

21 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Wait, what does Eaglemoss have to do with reprints?

They're currently publishing the Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection, which is reprinting a bunch of past Star Trek comics.  A huge chunk of this is from current license holder IDW, particularly the first few volumes.  Over the past few months, Ken has taken this to mean that IDW is actually publishing the collection, even though every bit of evidence available online just points to Eaglemoss reprinting IDW's work.

If Ken's right, and IDW is actually co-publishing the entire series (rather than just being credited for their stuff), then every single press release and publication posting (along with the Star Trek wiki) would have to have somehow missed that detail.  (Which isn't impossible, just really unlikely.)

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah the Eaglemoss/IDW stuff seems pretty clear cut based on what's being reported, even if IDW is co-publishing, this really seems more Eaglemoss's effort. In any case, I'm far more trusting of dudes I know nothing about working at comic book news sites than so-called industry insider Ken fucking Penders.

The only thing I'm confused about is what Ken's grievance with them even is concerning Star Trek.

Edit: As far as the potential reprinting of Sonic comics, I can only really see that having value as far as preservation goes. It would be nice to have just to say "hey, here it is all collected, you know, for historical reasons I guess." I know Penders grossly inflates the relevancy and quality of his work, and so this point would be lost on him, but the vast majority of people don't give a rats ass about Archie Sonic and could not be bothered with buying reprinted editions. The amount of people invested enough to take the dive is so few I can't imagine anyone at SEGA or IDW would see merit in ironing out the legalities preventing it from happening in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay, so, something of note came up when digging for anything I could find to link IDW to publishing the Star Trek reprints.

I stumbled on a set of reviews from a site called Trek Core, for the first three installments of the Collectiion.  These reviews have a bit of conflicting information, namely that while the text still only mentions IDW by saying it's Eaglemoss reprinting their work (plus a comment on #2 complaining that Eaglemoss cut some of IDW's content), the reviews each have photos of the back of the books.  And on them, the copyright information says they're "Published in the US by IDW Publishing ... for the Eaglemoss Edition".

Granted, they're IDW's books that Eaglemoss is reprinting, but it's the only thing I could find in hours of searching that might point to IDW publishing them.  And even then I don't know if it just refers to IDW being the original publisher, or IDW co-publishing these, since the person who put the photos up doesn't even seem to think IDW co-published the Collection.

If it turns out that I was wrong, then I'm sorry, because I don't want to push false information myself, either.  But it's definitely not for a lack of trying to find the truth here, because everything else says it isn't IDW.  So now I really don't know.

• Thumbs Up 6

24 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Okay, so, something of note came up when digging for anything I could find to link IDW to publishing the Star Trek reprints.

I stumbled on a set of reviews from a site called Trek Core, for the first three installments of the Collectiion.  These reviews have a bit of conflicting information, namely that while the text still only mentions IDW by saying it's Eaglemoss reprinting their work (plus a comment on #2 complaining that Eaglemoss cut some of IDW's content), the reviews each have photos of the back of the books.  And on them, the copyright information says they're "Published in the US by IDW Publishing ... for the Eaglemoss Edition".

Granted, they're IDW's books that Eaglemoss is reprinting, but it's the only thing I could find in hours of searching that might point to IDW publishing them.  And even then I don't know if it just refers to IDW being the original publisher, or IDW co-publishing these, since the person who put the photos up doesn't even seem to think IDW co-published the Collection.

If it turns out that I was wrong, then I'm sorry, because I don't want to push false information myself, either.  But it's definitely not for a lack of trying to find the truth here, because everything else says it isn't IDW.  So now I really don't know.

Yeah that could indicate that Eaglemoss is reprinting IDW stories, publishing them on their end overseas and then IDW is publishing the books Eaglemoss assembled in the states. Way that sounds though, the project would still very much be Eaglemoss's baby.

Regardless I still don't understand why any of this even matters. IDW is the current license holder, unless there's a dispute with that then it's theirs to handle.

• Thumbs Up 5

What little I could find on the details of the project is that it's being overseen by Ben Robinson who currently works for Eaglemoss Publishing, and Eaglemoss Collections Ltd. seems to be, from Ben's project descriptions, the publisher and as you say Tylinos it seems IDW is prominently mentioned as they hold the licence and print the material in the U.S. This does seem to be entirely Eaglemoss's baby tho, why I'm essentially helping Penders by pointing him in the direction to get his compensation when he replors to me the way he does is anyone's guess however. He really bites in a toxic manner when he's being corrected even if it's to his advantage...

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

He really bites in a toxic manner when he's being corrected even if it's to his advantage...

Its nothing new. Penders absolutely cannot stand to be corrected or to be shown as being misinformed or innacurate. Back in his forums he tended to just ignore people who brought up anything that was inconvenient to whatever narrative he'd spun for himself regarding anything about anything, and its no different here. He has proclaimed IDW alone to be 'The enemy' (which SURELY has NOTHING to do with the fact that they hold a certain property license he's obsessed with, nossir), and so they are The Enemy, regardless of actual context or evidence.

Also, given the way his ranting has been going, I can't help but picture that his endgame in all of this is to try and sue IDW and *force* them to reprint Pre-Reboot Archie stuff so that he can profit off of it and still claim to be a part of Sonic... this is the man who, after all, tried to use his own lawsuit as an attempt to strongarm SEGA/Archie into making a Knuckles movie. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 2

He doesn't seem to be grasping that IDW, if it is even publishing the collection sets in the USA, is recieving all the material from Eaglemoss. It is the one putting the contents together, editing it, and sending out the product ready to print to IDW by the sounds of it.

That Ben Robinson guy is listed as the Editorial Manager of Global Developments, he looks after the franchises and he also is supervisor on the collection sets, he's even listed as being the one that gathered the artists to create additional material for the sets. So being the GLOBAL person in charge, as well as personal supervisor on that project and the one who hired the artists, and he works at EAGLEMOSS etc you would think Penders should be interested in talking to him or Eaglemoss...but no apparently my information is not helpful as he only deals with things there in the USA and it's IDW that is distributing it there..  sigh.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ken now insists that the reports of the judge dismissing Fulop's claims, and the reports of Archie counter-suing him, are incorrect.

So, wait, is he trying to say they're "incorrect" because Fulop only had most of the case against him dismissed, but not all of it?  Or is he trying to say the whole report is wrong?  Because these seem like pretty clear, verifiable facts that Ken's denying.

Heck, we have the court docket for the case, and it pretty clearly states that, just as the reports said, a chunk of Fulop's case was dismissed, Archie's countersuit was upheld, and Sega was removed as a defendant.  Unless the docket is missing vital information, Ken appears to be incorrect here.

Quoting the docket in the spoiler for future reference, since this is bound to come up again:

#90 - Sep 5, 2017

OPINION AND ORDER re: 47 MOTION to Dismiss Plaintiff's Amended Complaint filed by Sega of America, Inc.; 41 MOTION to Dismiss Counts III-VI of Plaintiff's Amended Complaint filed by Archie Comic Publications, Inc.; 78 MOTION to Dismiss filed by Scott D. Fulop. Archie's partial motion to dismiss is GRANTED. (Doc. #41). Sega's motion to dismiss is GRANTED and its motion for a more definitive statement is DENIED as moot. (Doc. #47). Fulop's motion to strike or dismiss the amended third-party complaint is DENIED, and his application to add Jonathan Goldwater and Nancy Silberkleit as third-party counter defendants is also DENIED. (Doc. #78). The Court will schedule an initial conference by separate order. The Clerk is instructed to terminate the motions. (Docs. ##41, 47, and 78). The Clerk is further instructed to terminate defendant Sega of America, Inc. SO ORDERED. (Sega of America, Inc. terminated.) (Signed by Judge Vincent L. Briccetti on 9/5/2017) (anc) (Entered: 09/05/2017)

#91 - Sep 6, 2017

NOTICE of INITIAL CONFERENCE: THIS MATTER HAS BEEN SCHEDULED FOR AN INITIAL CASE MANAGEMENT AND SCHEDULING CONFERENCE, pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 16, on 10/12/2017 at 11:30 a.m., at the United States Courthouse, 300 Quarropas Street, Courtroom 620, White Plains, NY 10601. (Initial Conference set for 10/12/2017 at 11:30 AM in Courtroom 620, 300 Quarropas Street, White Plains, NY 10601 before Judge Vincent L. Briccetti.)(yv) (Entered: 09/06/2017)

#92 - Oct 12, 2017

CIVIL CASE DISCOVERY PLAN AND SCHEDULING ORDER: All parties do not consent to conducting all further proceedings before a Magistrate Judge, including motions and trial, pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 636(c). The parties are free to withhold consent without adverse substantive consequences. This case is to be tried to a jury. Motions due by 11/11/2017. Initial disclosures pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(a)(1) shall be completed by 10-26-17. Initial requests for production of documents shall be served by 11/11/2017. Interrogatories shall be served by 11/11/2017. Non-expert depositions shall be completed by 2/9/2018. Requests to admit shall be served by 01/11/18. Deposition due by 3/26/2018. Fact Discovery due by 2/9/2018. Expert Discovery due by 3/26/2018. Plaintiff's expert disclosures pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(a)(2) shall be made by 03/01/18. Defendant's expert disclosures pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(a)(2) shall be made by 03/26/18. Discovery due by 4/12/2018. The parties have conferred and their present best estimate of the length of the trial is 2 to 3 days. The Magistrate Judge assigned to this case is the Honorable Lisa M. Smith. Case Management Conference set for 4/18/2018 at 09:30 AM before Judge Vincent L. Briccetti. By 1/12/18, counsel shall submit joint letter regarding settlement and whether case should be referred to magistrate judge or mediation for settlement conference. So Ordered. (Signed by Judge Vincent L. Briccetti on 10/12/17) (yv)

Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Vincent L. Briccetti: Initial Pretrial Conference held on 10/12/2017. Scheduling Order signed. Next conference is scheduled for 4-18-18 at 9:30 a.m. Joint letter regarding settlement is due on or before 1-12-18. (dh)

• Thumbs Up 8

Nope jokes on us, we are incorrect, because his case for Lara-Su etc went his way late in his case, he has informed us that the early court documents from this first tango are "meaningless" and that things are totally looking up for Scott. His inside info trumps anything official and in black and white yet again.

Willing to bet a cherry coke that if the early documents said the case was going well for Scott then the court documents would be a defining point, and would prove Scott's going to wipe the floor with them...can't win lol

• Thumbs Up 4