Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe it's his attempt at giving them "quirks".

Ken Penders Rotor! His quirk: Uglyass Rhino! He can do everything an uglyass rhino can do!

Knox! His quirk: Ripoff! He can do everything Knuckles the Enchilada can do, only substantially worse in every aspect unless the story tells him to!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 4

5 hours ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Does he actually know how many films actually equate to what he's doing though?

Like, he's probably thinking live-action films that use animation for effects, but…

The actual equivalent to what he's doing is something like Dinosaur, where all the characters and effects are animated and only the backgrounds are actual film. Which, incidentally, was an experiment in the realism of the CG animation that it could be convincingly meshed with film without subbing in either animated backgrounds or live-action puppetry at any point.

And in regard to that experiment, CG has come forward in terms of environmental animation potential so much since 2000 that it's basically standard now to do the opposite.

Basically, it was an attempt to push the art as far as it could be pushed, that's now obsolete because the art's been pushed further than that. Which doesn't line up to the way he draws or colours characters.

I'd have said Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, except that manages to mesh in a whole other way this doesn't.

8 hours ago, Zaysho said:

You know, I don't like Pen's actual drawings or designs or anything, but he usually has solid linework. The coloring completely obliterates that and I don't understand how someone with the level of experience he has simply cannot see what an assault on the eyes this is. Like, come on, man, hire a colorist.

No kidding. The longer I look at it the worse it looks. The shading on Artemus' flesh is the exact same texture and shade as the shadows on his *metal armor*. It makes his skin look like it has the same kind of glossy texture. And that's without getting into the sickly, chrome texturing that the armor itself has. It's at once garish and dull. How is that even possible?

Yeah, eugh...that coloring is frightful. If he's not willing to get someone else to do it, maybe he could just do flat coloring. Or no coloring. Seriously, it would be so much better.

• Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, Paul-Agnew said:

PFFFT. Oh God, I was actually *tempted* to bring up the Judoon thing.

In absolute, TOTAL fairness to Penders, that armor is sci-fi generic enough that he likely developed it independent of that Doctor Who series. The resemblance is still uncanny and hilarious, tho. 

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I'd have said Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, except that manages to mesh in a whole other way this doesn't.

A good chunk of the cast of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is live-action and the part that mostly isn't has animated backgrounds instead, plus since that film was entirely hand-animated and not CG, it didn't fit in with what he was saying.

He kinda gives stock art a bad name and it can be good if by the right people, like those who makes the Amazing World of Gumball. Most of their backgrounds are from real life locations, but unlike Penders, they bend well with the characters and they’re not stolen pictures.

Kinda makes me hestitant to try stock art with my girlfriend’s photos, still.

• Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Ah, first time I see the rhino :P For those who complain, well you haven't seen the walrus ;)

The Walrus? Odd. I was under the impression that Artemus WAS 'the walrus', specifically a replacement for Rotor's character and role within the story. 

...wait... does that mean that there's going to be a scene like what we got with St. John and Brownie and the 'switchover' to LSC proper, where we see Rotor and Knuckles and then after the Big Universe Flash thing, we get K'noxoff and Artemus there?? 

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Adamis said:

Ah, first time I see the rhino :P For those who complain, well you haven't seen the walrus ;)

what do you know, adamis

13 hours ago, antyep said:

He kinda gives stock art a bad name and it can be good if by the right people, like those who makes the Amazing World of Gumball. Most of their backgrounds are from real life locations, but unlike Penders, they bend well with the characters and they’re not stolen pictures.

Kinda makes me hestitant to try stock art with my girlfriend’s photos, still.

yeah i agree, whilst that is not my absolute favourite show and there are too many backgrounds, at least it is done without looking as though someone cut it up from where it was from with the remaining bits.

12 hours ago, Adamis said:

I still don't know why he is intent on making it directly based on M25yl, it is his story but some of the characters are from sega. 

13 hours ago, horridus said:

The Walrus? Odd. I was under the impression that Artemus WAS 'the walrus', specifically a replacement for Rotor's character and role within the story. 

...wait... does that mean that there's going to be a scene like what we got with St. John and Brownie and the 'switchover' to LSC proper, where we see Rotor and Knuckles and then after the Big Universe Flash thing, we get K'noxoff and Artemus there?? 

No, I meant that you didn't see the walrus, before it got replaced by the rhino.

• Thumbs Up 5

16 hours ago, horridus said:

I'm still calling it. He's going to take the Genesis Wave (Not call it that obviously) and use that to explain why everything he doesn't own isn't there

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

On 12/13/2017 at 4:22 AM, Tylinos said:

Teeth.

Well, I'll give him this: At least the Self-Admitted Rotor Expy doesn't actually look like Rotor.  Which under any other creator would be something that wouldn't even have to be remarked on.

Oh, is that supposed to be Rotor?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, is that supposed to be Rotor?

In the sense that this character will be standing-in for Rotor, since Penders can't legally USE Rotor. Its actually kind of noteworthy that an effort was made to REALLY distancing the character here, given Penders' usual lackluster and half-hearted attempts at doing so in other areas. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, horridus said:

In the sense that this character will be standing-in for Rotor, since Penders can't legally USE Rotor. Its actually kind of noteworthy that an effort was made to REALLY distancing the character here, given Penders' usual lackluster and half-hearted attempts at doing so in other areas. 

Yeah, seriously. I just assumed it was new character regardless, given that Rotor had started getting old and mainly stuck in his lab with Cobar, was it?

So... I haven't, like, drawn or anything really in over a month, but I plugged in my tablet the other day out of boredom and threw that teaser image into a drawing program, tried my best to extract the lines (some of his value tones remained) and slapped some color on it

tumblr_p11b49gnMX1s44s5jo1_1280.png

Not great, but I wanted to try to figure out what I felt was not really working with the image. It's kind of a mess of highlights, shading, and overall distracting color choices. The rhino particularly bugged me, not only for the amount of reflective light and color all over him (more so than Knuckl--er, K'nox), but stuff like the bright cyan bits that just don't go with the rest of the outfit or color scheme. I just simplified it to two analogous colors, with a typical dark main body and lighter colored armor/plating (mostly out of personal preference for that kind of layering). The outfit has that Star Trek-y, 60s-future-y vibe, probably something inspired/ripped from an old Kirby design, and it felt appropriate. The designs are still weird and dated, and I don't like being reminded Pen likes giving characters loincloths.

For the most part I just borrowed the overall palette he already had and tried to arrange it in a way that the image felt more readable and less distracting (at least to me). Of course, I have some road blocks because, one, I am not much of a colorist, and two I was stuck with at least some of his shading and I really wasn't motivated enough to actually try to make pure lineart. Something else I noticed was everything is roughly the same value range in Pen's, and while I tried to vary it a bit more, I do fall into a similar problem (hopefully not to the same degree). I also noticed the background in Pen's is really inconsistent (it's possible it's not finished, but it doesn't feel like the elements are all properly tied together), so I made an attempt to make most of the room feel like it all goes together. Don't know what to do about his stock photo use--I'm not a miracle worker.

There's not much else I can or really feel like doing, but I suppose I should give him some credit for making me want to draw even a little bit again.

13 hours ago, horridus said:

Maybe we shouldn't rush to conclusions here. Maybe Penders just doesn't know the difference between a walrus and a rhino?

• Chuckle 1

So, I just noticed... a call from few pages back. About him mentioning the translations.

He's already got a Swedish translation. What? Did somebody tell him Danish is like Swedish spoken with a whole baked potato in one's mouth? :D

Well, one of my Swedish teachers did say they consider Swedish thaught in here (obligatorily to everyone mind you) resembles more Norwegian than Swedish since Swedish is in such a flux nowadays... -_-

Otherwise he must think Swedish people really love his stuff. I'm biased of making any kind of assumptions about that fact but whatever...

Anyway, if this thing flops really badly, Penders should just try politics. From what I've gathered about politics by watching our parliament discussions and news (both) from TV he's already got the right attitude for it as far as his tweets are considered. ^_^

On 12/16/2017 at 2:00 PM, BlueSky said:

So, I just noticed... a call from few pages back. About him mentioning the translations.

He's already got a Swedish translation. What? Did somebody tell him Danish is like Swedish spoken with a whole baked potato in one's mouth? :D

Well, one of my Swedish teachers did say they consider Swedish thaught in here (obligatorily to everyone mind you) resembles more Norwegian than Swedish since Swedish is in such a flux nowadays... -_-

Otherwise he must think Swedish people really love his stuff. I'm biased of making any kind of assumptions about that fact but whatever...

Anyway, if this thing flops really badly, Penders should just try politics. From what I've gathered about politics by watching our parliament discussions and news (both) from TV he's already got the right attitude for it as far as his tweets are considered. ^_^

Penders operates under the presumption that because Archie Sonic comics were sold on a limited basis in speciality stores overseas, it means that the Archie comic had some kind of big, global fandom. More specifically, he takes it as a sign that HE has a big fandom across the globe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

A Swedish translation?

tumblr_oy47u3OvYA1uhsa09o1_500.gif

I can already see this is going to go well.

Please....he's not the King of Swedish pop culture...the ones in my pic are. XD

4-The Final Countdown(1986 Original Silver Logo).jpg

On 18.12.2017 at 5:07 AM, horridus said:

Penders operates under the presumption that because Archie Sonic comics were sold on a limited basis in speciality stores overseas, it means that the Archie comic had some kind of big, global fandom. More specifically, he takes it as a sign that HE has a big fandom across the globe. 

Well, in here they were sold in magazine stands in many big malls too, they just came there few months late and sometimes skipped an issue hence I ordered mine. Dunno about Scandinavia though, they're right next to where I live but some stuff's really different. Like the language.

But well, I think it's more about casual readers than real fans around here, I think there aren't many who really are searching for discussing platforms just to talk about these comics. So it's like he could maybe (if he manages to find someone not minding much about the art decicions he's made) get readers if people would know of him actively, like more than just prolly his name. I started to find out about the rough stuff just after I got really inside these circles, and it takes some time and enthusiasm people around here sometimes really lack for.

That and some readers are prolly a bit too young, though I dunno, the language barrier and all...

We have the Disney duck stuff already, we can't be fanning over every single comic series in the world after all... :D

On 18.12.2017 at 8:39 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

A Swedish translation?

tumblr_oy47u3OvYA1uhsa09o1_500.gif

I can already see this is going to go well.

He's more like a Danish chef for me, Swedish is about tonal-wise replacing tj's with ch's and switching ä's and e's, Danish goes way over that stuff... :D But seriously I got the joke alright.

Like I said, baked potato in your mouth, as in a whole potato, no splitting. It's a common joke around here at least... ^_^