Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I *think* this is meant to be from the period wherein LSC was explicitly a continuation of M25YL, and as such the pantlessness and more Sega-esque proportions are in play here. 

Buuut yeah, wow, the laziness. Re-using the same sketch over and over again is never going to NOT be lazy in comics, no matter who does it. And surprise surprise, its the return of the photographed backgrounds! 

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Why do his sketches always look better than the end result?

Because he is *profoundly* bad at digital inking and shading. For serious, a middle schooler using 1st edition photoshop could do a better job. Why he insists on going digital when traditional methods work better for him is beyond me, but unless he starts understanding where his strengths lie, he's going to continue blighting the eyes of humankind with his 'work'. 

• Thumbs Up 4

56 minutes ago, Razule said:

Hey.. we've never actually seen Lara-Su outside of that bikini, have we? Maybe being naked from the waist down is her casual attire..

Actually, we have.

latest?cb=20150430022955

As I said, I suspect that this page is from BEFORE the incorporation of the more 'human' designs, when it was still meant to explicitly tie-in to Sonic and crap, and as such, pantlessness would be the norm- as per her outfit in the M25YL stories, wherein she did indeed not wear pants. 

Reading the text for that, I must say... it is ASTOUNDINGLY artificial sounding. Like my God, this is not how a teenager who abruptly lost a parent talks or responds to grief. "It doesn't matter how or why", BULLSHIT. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

The middle panel honestly isn't bad, but that's because it focusses on the head, which is very faithful to conventional Sonic character design.  That panel alone looks like decent fanart.  Ah well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, horridus said:

Actually, we have.

latest?cb=20150430022955

As I said, I suspect that this page is from BEFORE the incorporation of the more 'human' designs, when it was still meant to explicitly tie-in to Sonic and crap, and as such, pantlessness would be the norm- as per her outfit in the M25YL stories, wherein she did indeed not wear pants. 

Reading the text for that, I must say... it is ASTOUNDINGLY artificial sounding. Like my God, this is not how a teenager who abruptly lost a parent talks or responds to grief. "It doesn't matter how or why", BULLSHIT. 

Known family: [entire cast list]

Okay, look, if nearly everybody is related, you don't put that section on the character sheet. You make a separate tree and figure out a reference.

…Anyway, I don't have much of a problem with him copy-pasting a rough pencil for layouts, but knowing that he's copy-pasted final lines and colours before in his professional work does make one wary even if they ignore the photo backgrounds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 12/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

Hey this doesn't look half ba-

WHERE THE FUCK ARE HER PANTS?!

EDIT: Also, reusing the same sketch THREE GODDAMN TIMES IN THIS. YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE DECENCY TO MIRROR IT AT LEAST ONCE?!

Observations:

1. Line art, while rough, looks less mangled than what we've come to expect. That said, Penders almost always destroys what good line art he has when coloring.
  2. More live photography with cartoons, and I cannot imagine it being any less discordant when colored. Beaches are also not that hard to draw so this just comes off as especially lazy.
  3. As you mentioned, no mirroring of the same walking sketch. You *could* argue that this is just a thumbnail and a general outline of where Penders wants to go with the page, so he's overlayed the same image to cut time, and will later refine it and put in new art for the final two panels. I would then argue that this is Ken Penders, a bum.
  4. On the same subject, in my own work I've had panels that follow the same sort of style. Static background, same framing, but the character's action is different. It's not hard to composite an image like this, and it saves so much time when you just have to do a background and two different pieces of character art.
  5. Every second I catch up in this thread I pray for death and it never comes.
On 12/24/2017 at 5:12 AM, DoubleXXCross said:

Known family: [entire cast list]

Okay, look, if nearly everybody is related, you don't put that section on the character sheet. You make a separate tree and figure out a reference.

Yep. If a huge swath of your cast is related it would be better to not include it in a sheet like this and make a separate document summarizing the family tree. The said, considering how expansive her family seems to be, I seriously question how relevant some of them are actually going to be. I would almost make that some sort of ongoing document where you fill it in as characters are introduced, because if you have like five to ten dudes who don't matter to the story or don't even show up then whoooooo cares.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 2

On 12/23/2017 at 4:13 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

EDIT: Also, reusing the same sketch THREE GODDAMN TIMES IN THIS. YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE DECENCY TO MIRROR IT AT LEAST ONCE?!

WHAT THE HELL? WHERE ARE HER PANTS? SERIOUSLY?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I think Ken has literally on-the-record stated that Echyd'nya don't wear trousers.

Something along those lines, something about them not being 'uptight' or whatever. However he has been fairly consistent in that, at this stage anyway, Echyd'nya wear coverings in the form of tunics and loin cloths and the like. Again I say, this Early Page is more than likely from the time when this was explicitly a Sonic continuation, and since pre-reboot things were a bit more even-handed regarding clothing, Lara-Su goes pantless just as she did in 25YL. 

Something like that, I suppose. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 12/23/2017 at 5:13 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

13 hours ago, ClassicKnuckles said:

WHAT THE HELL? WHERE ARE HER PANTS? SERIOUSLY?

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

I think Ken has literally on-the-record stated that Echyd'nya don't wear trousers.

Or panties, for that matter, if this is any indication.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Or panties, for that matter, if this is any indication.

why is she almost fully naked on the beach

I think, as pointed out earlier, it's that this might be from before or around the legal battle, and Penders may have been drawing things closer to what would be on-model for Archie. That's just a guess though. Plenty of Sonic characters don't wear clothes and it's not really questioned since they're obviously harmless mascot characters, but the more you try to warp them into human proportions the more it just looks like you drew someone with mumps naked.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, ClassicKnuckles said:

why is she almost fully naked on the beach

Maybe a remnant of little cranberry and pineapple juice with 4 liquors and ice during Spring Break?

Yeah ba-byyy!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Maybe a remnant of little cranberry and pineapple juice with 4 liquors and ice during Spring Break?

Yeah ba-byyy!

Yes. 

It's not as if we weren't prepared for this eventuality. He's hinted at wanting to cover things like teenage sexuality in a past tweet, and even specified the inclusion of Taelor as a means of observing what makes the Echyd'nya different from humans, specifically invoking how differently 'Echyd'nya' relationships work compared to humans. Given his attempts at 'mature' work in Sonic itself, it was inevitable that he would openly state as much, now that he no longer needs to worry about potential censorship. Of course, this does not mean any of it will be any good- contrary to what Penders himself believes and whatever his motives might be, he is simply not very good at handling more mature subject matter. He lacks the writing chops and insight needed in order to truly work with more sensitive material . 

None of this is surprising, though. When this all started out Penders claimed that his target audience would be 'young teenage girls'. Then came the Su-Kini, and him claiming it was now 'all-audiences'. Finally we have this, with him all but admitting that this is intended for older audiences, the target audiance he always wanted for Knuckles but could never really have, along with the validation it would bring him as a creator. It is not surprising, but it is sad in a way... or it would be if it wasn't clear that his loftier visions and goals were all just lies to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2

By the time this thing happens-- if it happens-- I wonder if anything resembling his original target audience will still exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

By the time this thing happens-- if it happens-- I wonder if anything resembling his original target audience will still exist.

Yeah, remember when Endangered Species [3.0] was a fresj hullabaloo and The Lara-Su Chronicles started being a thing that was teased on occasion?

Good Times, Bad Food.

6 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

So, Ken basically just confirmed he plans to use Scourge in TLSC.

SimpsonsMoe.jpg

• Chuckle 4

8 hours ago, Tylinos said:

On the one hand "Please God No!" On the other it'd actually be pretty funny to see how badly he fucks up Ian's stories or just generally doesn't get the point.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Charming. The man spends years refusing to call Scourge by that name or acknowledge anything of Flynn's, and now suddenly he wants to piggyback off the man's popularity and the popularity he managed to grant Anti-Sonic by reinventing him as Scourge. 

I'd be more vitriolic about this, but considering Ken's laziness/abject refusal to actually bother with anything not written by himself and the fact its increasingly unlikely he'll ever release anything of substance pertaining to this, I can't really be bothered. It's just pitiful attention mongering, and in the end, yet another thing he'll never make any progress on. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2