Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Why does Cobar look like he's regressed back into Sega Sonic territory, his face and muzzle, most of it beyond the elongated tail look like Penders Echidna llustrations from the Archie comics. He doesn't even look like Lara-Su muzzle wise etc, who is meant to be the same species.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

That reclining seat reminds me of a discussion from the ol' Kay-Pii For'm over a decade ago, where someone asked about the exact nature of Knuckles' and Julie-Su's relationship in 25YL. It ended with BobR saying that Lara-Su would probably require the need of a psychiatrist.

...I'm sorry, what? 

Knuckles and Julie-Su have a common-law marriage. This is not exactly revolutionary, nor the kind of thing that requires therapy to deal with. Furthermore, what we see of them in 25YL paints them as an old almost painfully traditional family unit despite their common-law status. I... really fail to see how anything about their home life or relationship would require psychiatric help for Lara-Su to cope with. 

Like... being in abusive househeld? That requires a psychiatrist. Discovering your parents are actually siblings and you're the product of incest? That requires a psychiatrist. Having parents who are not married in the traditional sense? That's... pedestrian. 

Seriously, what in God's name is BobR even on about here?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

21 hours ago, FFWF said:

I just wanted to clarify that "unknown quantity" is correct; it's a standard phrase used to suggest that something isn't understood in terms of how it contributes to a situation - like if a recipe called for salt, but didn't specify how much, with potentially radically different results to the prepared meal.  You could think of it as a milder or vaguer version of the "wild card."

o ok

9 hours ago, Mightyray said:

So... who wants some mildly effective eyebleach?

2usvgib.jpg

So a year or two ago, probably longer, I don't know... I posted some concept scribbles of my version of what Lara-Su and co would look like as actual aliens, but I never did a proper full coloured image. Well, after half a year of sitting on my to do pile, here is a version of Lara that is wearing clothes. Comfy, practical clothes. Just the way my out of touch feminism likes it.

On a more serious note, the more I look at Lara's hair, the more I'm convinced it's a bad wig especially after looking at the old design. Just terrible colours all around too.

Hey, looks more appealing than Penders design.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:09 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Why is that Echyd N'ya bitch always posing? Just stop flashing your alien ass and legs for a second, String Bikini Mistress. Penders art style makes the implied hotness an impossibility. 

Lara-Su lives in a pin-up calendar. It's her curse.

• Chuckle 4

12 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

Funny you mention slumber parties:

20180322A.jpg

That reclining seat reminds me of a discussion from the ol' Kay-Pii For'm over a decade ago, where someone asked about the exact nature of Knuckles' and Julie-Su's relationship in 25YL. 

For a second, I forgot which one was Jani-Ca.

I can only assume those new clashingly-analogous colors are meant to make it obvious that she is the daughter of K'Nox and Julie-Su.

12 hours ago, Paul-Agnew said:

It ended with BobR saying that Lara-Su would probably require the need of a psychiatrist.

:lol: 

11 hours ago, Mightyray said:

So... who wants some mildly effective eyebleach?

2usvgib.jpg

So a year or two ago, probably longer, I don't know... I posted some concept scribbles of my version of what Lara-Su and co would look like as actual aliens, but I never did a proper full coloured image. Well, after half a year of sitting on my to do pile, here is a version of Lara that is wearing clothes. Comfy, practical clothes. Just the way my out of touch feminism likes it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm reminded of a Dorky Squid-Zavok.

9 hours ago, Tenko said:

Why does Cobar look like he's regressed back into Sega Sonic territory, his face and muzzle, most of it beyond the elongated tail look like Penders Echidna llustrations from the Archie comics. He doesn't even look like Lara-Su muzzle wise etc, who is meant to be the same species.

Like I said, he looks eerily similar to Locke.

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Penders feminism: where you say you are being progressive with your female characters, but they don't do anything productive.

To be fair, 25 Years Later was seemingly supposed to be a Calm before the Storm.

8 hours ago, horridus said:

Discovering your parents are actually siblings and you're the product of incest? That requires a psychiatrist. 

File:Knuckles familytree.png

On 2/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, Atharun said:

If that carries over to his new work without the core character of Knux then it all seems pointless.

To be fair, I believe Mr. Penders has said that some of the stuff he did with Knuckles was based on stuff he'd been wanting to do for a while.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, 25 Years Later was seemingly supposed to be a Calm before the Storm.

That really doesn't excuse the fact that he spent over a year waffling about on the storyline while doing next to zero to move the supposed plot about, choosing to focus instead on inane melodrama after hyping up the storyline as the end-all, be-all of everything in the book. And it especially doesn't excuse that Captain feminist's vision of the future involved Julie-Su and Sally, both who had previously fought in the front lines of war against the Legion and Robotnik, fell very easily into a painfully cliche role of domestic housewife despite the latter being Queen of the World. No, there is nothing wrong with being a domestic, but when you try to prop yourself up as a feminist out to challenge traditional gender roles, you don't accomplish much by forcing two characters who already did that to conform to them, ESPECIALLY after swearing one of them would still be badass beforehand. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

File:Knuckles familytree.png

I knew the moment I brought up incest this would come up- and I will repeat what I have always repeated whenever this comes up. Namely that technically speaking, Knuckles and Julie's relationship isn't incest- by this point in time enough generations have passed that they are no longer genetically related to one another. That having been said, Penders trying to pull a Romeo and Juliet with Knuckles and Julie, in addition to posting this damned family tree, is easily one of the worst creative decisions Penders made on the book- between this and Knuckles consistently referring to Kragok as 'cousin'.... 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm reminded of a Dorky Squid-Zavok.

Dorky Squid-Zavok? Now I'm curious to see that image.

9 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Hey, looks more appealing than Penders design.

Yeah... but then again I think nearly anyone can run rings around Penders these days. lol If a pleb like me can it'll be easy for a pro to do it.

That really doesn't excuse the fact that he spent over a year waffling about on the storyline while doing next to zero to move the supposed plot about, choosing to focus instead on inane melodrama after hyping up the storyline as the end-all, be-all of everything in the book. And it especially doesn't excuse that Captain feminist's vision of the future involved Julie-Su and Sally, both who had previously fought in the front lines of war against the Legion and Robotnik, fell very easily into a painfully cliche role of domestic housewife despite the latter being Queen of the World. No, there is nothing wrong with being a domestic, but when you try to prop yourself up as a feminist out to challenge traditional gender roles, you don't accomplish much by forcing two characters who already did that to conform to them, ESPECIALLY after swearing one of them would still be badass beforehand. 

Fair enough. I don't remember Anarchy K'Nox throwing down with Giant Dr. Droid from what general images I do.

I knew the moment I brought up incest this would come up- and I will repeat what I have always repeated whenever this comes up. Namely that technically speaking, Knuckles and Julie's relationship isn't incest- by this point in time enough generations have passed that they are no longer genetically related to one another.

Knuckles consistently referring to Kragok as 'cousin'.... 

I suppose that's true.

Wait, what?

4 hours ago, Mightyray said:

Dorky Squid-Zavok? Now I'm curious to see that image.

I'm sure someone will draw that for ya.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, what?

Ooh yes. You see, you know how I just went on about how Julie and Knux aren't incest? Well, that is indeed true... but its difficult to remember that fact, because on more than a few occasions Knuckles actually brings up the familial relationship he shares with Dimitri's branch of the family, referring to Kragok as a 'cousin' and Dimitri as a 'great uncle'. He highlights the relationship by using such close terms, even in sarcasm.... aaand it kinda makes it hard to remind people of the technicalities given that between that damn family tree and Knuckles using the lingo, he and Julie may as well be kissing cousins anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Recently on Twitter, he said that he took a free Issue 1 of the new IDW Sonic comic for one of his assistants (not naming), personally he should not have done at in the first place- like if he was public-ally might be seen as "suspicious", at the same time, like him mentioning on twitter that it was for his friend might not be a not so bad explanation. And then later on, he made a disparaging comment about the IDW how Sonic should have bright primary colour and "not muted pastel tones. Not a good start." So much for spending time in a "positive manner" and being productive and encouraging.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/978136980109254656

Edited by Sidronas
added link

Clearly he doesn't realise that's just a variant cover.

Or he does and he just doesn't care because he needs an excuse to talk shit.

EDIT: speaking of which did any of Ken's Sonic work ever follow that rule?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Clearly he doesn't realise that's just a variant cover.

Or he does and he just doesn't care because he needs an excuse to talk shit.

EDIT: speaking of which did any of Ken's Sonic work ever follow that rule?

He'd have flipped the script if he had gotten the normal cover regardless.

Ken: Sonic looks too well drawn on the cover. Why is he not posed over a bed, wearing a thong bikini with his massive booty sticking out. And WHERE'S the pasted on realistic background? Also, I've looked through the pages and not once did I see Tails wearing a super long shirt that made it look like he was a perverted pizza delivery man arriving with his pants down. Not a good start IDW. Smh.

IDW: ... Who are you?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 7

Yeah, at this point Penders is just reaching and being a passive aggressive douche for the sake of it. In particular, him talking trash about color is a laugh given the truly incompetent and ugly ass color selection and shading he has repeatedly demonstrated over the course of his own project- this is a guy who thought that wintergreen and puce were an excellent color combination. 

I wouldn't pay much mind. This guy doesn't really understand what 'Sonic' is to begin with, and the only thing left for him at this point is to snivel and whine. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

34 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Except I'm pretty sure "bright and poopy" was never how he envisioned Sonic.

But poopy is brown, and brown is real dood |8D!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Except I'm pretty sure "bright and poppy" was never how he envisioned Sonic.

You mean, "bright and poppy" isn't what comes to mind when you hear a pretentious title like "SHATTERED TOMMORROWS IN ALL CAPS". 

What about the notion that the anthropomorphized animals could potentially eat their young? Butterflies and rainbows man.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, horridus said:

Yeah, at this point Penders is just reaching and being a passive aggressive douche for the sake of it. In particular, him talking trash about color is a laugh given the truly incompetent and ugly ass color selection and shading he has repeatedly demonstrated over the course of his own project- this is a guy who thought that wintergreen and puce were an excellent color combination. 

I wouldn't pay much mind. This guy doesn't really understand what 'Sonic' is to begin with, and the only thing left for him at this point is to snivel and whine. 

yeah, him reaching was exactly what i thought too