Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Well, as of the typing of this post, March has officially come and gone. In itself not a particularly significant event, given that it happens each year and will likely continue to do for quite some time, but in this particular instance it is noteworthy due to one small, singular detail- namely that Penders has yet again failed to release anything within the time frame he specified for such of an occurrence. The month has passed, and there is still no App- neither the main app, nor the tie-in app 'Elsewhere'. There is nothing to show for his effforts save for a solitary screen shot of an icon on his phone, with nothing of substance to indicate that anything beyond that exists. 

Perhaps the month of April will be kinder to him, given that that was the initial time frame he gave, but it will do little to change the fact that he once again proved unnable to deliver on anything he promised. Maybe this will change by the time I have finished typing this, and maybe it will change when I wake up from sleep, but the bottom line is? There's STILL nothin' to see, folks. 

Not exactly earth shattering, I know, but still worth noting all the same. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

You know, there are only 3 years left until Lara-Su Chronicles 10th anniversary. I think we should prepare.

Let's gather some of best talents and announce that in 2021 we're going to upload massive collab fanart picture. Or several.

Then in 2028 we'll publish one sketch of a single character and say things are almost done.

• Promotion 7

He's always going on about how it's taking a long time not only because of the digital side of things, but that he's doing it "himself". Which he isn't but I digress.

I'm pretty sure a semi decent artist/fan could have completed a first GN by now in the time he's been given. Let's not forget he's a "professional" too so if a fan could do it, someone who also may have a job, school, a family, other obligations just as he would, no excuses there Penders, there's really no reason he shouldn't have had it done by now.

• Thumbs Up 7

Fitting that time would be up on April Fool's Day. Alas, the only one he's fooling is himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

He's always going on about how it's taking a long time not only because of the digital side of things, but that he's doing it "himself". Which he isn't but I digress.

I'm pretty sure a semi decent artist/fan could have completed a first GN by now in the time he's been given. Let's not forget he's a "professional" too so if a fan could do it, someone who also may have a job, school, a family, other obligations just as he would, no excuses there Penders, there's really no reason he shouldn't have had it done by now.

It's particularly damning given that not only has he demonstrated a rather shameless willingness to use photographic backgrounds at every corner, which would surely cut back on time, but in the past he has boasted about the his ability to at least pencil things in a relatively short amount of time. 

Doubly ironic (or rather, hypocritical) is the fact that he's taken a dismissive attitude towards webcomics and the people who make them, claiming he could do a webcomic 'in his sleep', but even one with a poor update schedule has demonstrated more of an ability to deliver the goods than he has, given that they at least HAVE something to show for their efforts.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think I changed my mind. This actually looks way better than the IDW Sonic Book and Post-Reboot Archie. It's telling a story that totally need's to be told and Penders isn't just trying desperately to hang onto the one success he had. And the Art is fantastic. The only way Sonic Style characters should be drawn is muscular with scary Uncanny Valley faces.

Spoiler

Do I even need to say April Fools?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

SEGA: Hey Ken. We've decided we were wrong. You can have Knuckles and all the rights associated with him.

Penders: REALLY?

SEGA: AV48w.gif

Ken: twitchy.gif

Seriously though, I'm doubling down on my theory that "THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES" isn't an actual series. It's the chronicling we're doing of it's development hell.

• Thumbs Up 7

26 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Seriously though, I'm doubling down on my theory that "THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES" isn't an actual series. It's the chronicling we're doing of it's development hell.

Makes me think we should send this to Frederik Knudsen (Down the Rabbit Hole creator on Youtube) and have him make a video of it.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Makes me think we should send this to Frederik Knudsen (Down the Rabbit Hole creator on Youtube) and have him make a video of it.

The guy already did CWC and Sonikchu.

Annnd an its bitsy teeny weeny update on the App That Mas Meant To Be Out Last Month- 

You know, given that Elsewhere is meant to be a dumping ground for all the supplemental stuff, voice acting seems a tad much.... and again, showcasing the App somewhere ain't the same thing as actually releasing it for the consuming public. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Annnd an its bitsy teeny weeny update on the App That Mas Meant To Be Out Last Month- 

You know, given that Elsewhere is meant to be a dumping ground for all the supplemental stuff, voice acting seems a tad much.... and again, showcasing the App somewhere ain't the same thing as actually releasing it for the consuming public. 

Wait, voiceacting?  That's seems a bit much.

I mean, I can respect the generosity involved, but isn't that a lot of production value for a free supplementary app?

• Nice Smile 1

Any guesses as to what accent Geoffrey is going to have in this? Shit, any guesses as to if this project is going to be finished before Ken dies from old age?

I'm not even joking here, Ken's about... 60? And there's very little evidence of substantial progress on this project after 6 years, I'm genuinely concerned that he will die before anything gets released, and there's no way TLSC will be finished before he dies at this rate.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, DabigRG said:

Wait, voiceacting?  That's seems a bit much.

I mean, I can respect the generosity involved, but isn't that a lot of production value for a free supplementary app?

Aye, that it is, particularly since focusing so much attention on the supplemental is just more time and effort spent away from the book/main App. Sadly, its not exactly unexpected- this is the same guy whose been hawking phone cases, patches, coffee mugs and t-shirts despite having no product to tie-in into. His true passion seems to lie into all the stuff rather than the main event, it seems. 

10 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

Any guesses as to what accent Geoffrey is going to have in this? Shit, any guesses as to if this project is going to be finished before Ken dies from old age?

I'm not even joking here, Ken's about... 60? And there's very little evidence of substantial progress on this project after 6 years, I'm genuinely concerned that he will die before anything gets released, and there's no way TLSC will be finished before he dies at this rate.

If this project is released at all, it won't be anytime soon in the near future, and its increasingly doubtful that Penders actually has the drive to see this through. Especially given his claims to also be busy with his web series (or something, I don't even know what the format is for it anymore) 'The Republic'... something that ALSO hasn't had any substantial work done on despite the years since its announcement. 

As for Geof's voice, I'd hazard that he'll sound like someone doing a bad impression of Sean Connery. 

39 minutes ago, horridus said:

Sadly, its not exactly unexpected- this is the same guy whose been hawking phone cases, patches, coffee mugs and t-shirts despite having no product to tie-in into.

So, it's pretty much the same thing SEGA did with the Boom franchise: invest too much money by releasing games, comics, and show for a mediocre subfranchise

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

So, it's pretty much the same thing SEGA did with the Boom franchise: invest too much money by releasing games, comics, and show for a mediocre subfranchise

Not quite. There is a crucial difference in that SEGA was always going to release something, even if that something was sub-par, and if nothing else there is something of substance attached to to the Boom name via the cartoon. Penders by contrast has given no real conclusive idea of where he is at on his work or when it will be ready for release while focusing his attention on mediocre tie-in products for something that currently does not exist, nor gives any clue of when it WILL exist. 

• Thumbs Up 6

According to TVTropes, part of the reason Mr. Penders quit Archie was because he was ordered to add more Sonic characters to his 20YL stuff. Is there any truth to this?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

According to TVTropes, part of the reason Mr. Penders quit Archie was because he was ordered to add more Sonic characters to his 20YL stuff. Is there any truth to this?

Pretty much. When Mike Pellerito became editor he tried to reign things in a bit, and part of this was basically delivering an ultimatum- that 25YL would not proceed unless Ken worked to incorporate more Game characters into this, even suggesting the 'Shadow the Dictator' bit. Penders didn't care much for this, years later claiming that he left because Pellerito tried to 'interject himself into the creative process'. When Flynn wanted to return to the 25YL set-up, he played ball and hence, we got the King Shadow arc. 

It's the only instance I've heard of someone working on a licensed book quitting due to being asked to actually include more stuff from the franchise the book was meant to promote. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Why he is bothering with voice acting when he hasn't even gotten the darn comic done for all we know?  He should be focused on just completing that and seeing how that does instead of doing special little things like voice acting for the App.  But what I am saying...this'll never get done at this rate. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

Why he is bothering with voice acting when he hasn't even gotten the darn comic done for all we know?  He should be focused on just completing that and seeing how that does instead of doing special little things like voice acting for the App.  But what I am saying...this'll never get done at this rate. :/

If people like the comics, they could do voice acting on youtube for free like for many Archie comics!

He should focus on improving inking and coloring.

But hey at least, these voice actors get some job.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

You've heard the expression "putting the cart before the horse"?

Penders just keeps investing in carts. He has yet to purchase a single horse.

11 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

If people like the comics, they could do voice acting on youtube for free like for many Archie comics!

He should focus on improving inking and coloring.

But hey at least, these voice actors get some job.

Sure, but are they getting paid?

• Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Sure, but are they getting paid?

I would NOT want to be paid with exposure for a roll in this project. 

Now I'm wondering who he's got to do the voice acting... it's probably his family again, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Mr Silvia said:

Now I'm wondering who he's got to do the voice acting... it's probably his family again, isn't it?

Would probably be a good excuse for not paying the VAs.

9 hours ago, Mr Silvia said:

It's probably from the actors that he had been working with his previous so-called projects, e.g. his Lost Ones.