Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Even if everything is in layers, that's WHAT ALL COMIC BOOK COLORING AND ALL DIGITAL ART IS NOWADAYS.

ALL COMICS ARE IN LAYER COLORING, stop giving this excuse!

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else going to say how LS has one leg shorter than the other?

I know it’s supposed to look like she’s lifting it. But it doesn’t.

EDIT: aaand the more I look at leg the worse it gets. The knee on her “lifted” leg is lower down than the other when it should be higher if anything.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Anyone else going to say how LS has one leg shorter than the other?

I know it’s supposed to look like she’s lifting it. But it doesn’t.

EDIT: aaand the more I look at leg the worse it gets. The knee on her “lifted” leg is lower down than the other when it should be higher if anything.

I was too busy being horrified by her dead, doll-like stare and her post-gallows neck with a gem embedded in it to really pay attention. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Tenko said:
Wait until the bloody thing is ready and has been submitted for iOS release before mouthing off date after date after date.

I just want to see the train crash already, hurry the hell up man!!

Oh man, can you imagine if it doesn't even meet App Store standards?

And those are pretty low as it is.

4 hours ago, horridus said:

What a waste. 

I don't know if I'd go that far...

I mean, as it stands, the biggest waste is everything he's destroyed in his wake.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ken, there's more than a little difference between a small, lightweight decoration on the forehead and a whole freaking stone stuck just below someone's neck, especially when considering that the forehead is a vastly more stable location to stick something.  Hence why bindi go on the forehead and not the neck.

It also certainly doesn't help that in previous images, the gem was located above Lara-Su's clothing, leading anyone using the slightest bit of logic to assume it wasn't attached to her skin.

But no, apparently not making the ridiculous assumption that the gem was glued to Lara-Su's neck in reference to something that isn't even affixed to the neck in real life makes someone "astoundingly ignorant" to Ken.

• Thumbs Up 6

Soo a guy's ignorant for not being able to psychically probe Penders mind and understand his (supposed) motives in making a bafflingly nonsensical design choice to lodge a stone in someone's throat? 

Especially cause, like you said... in every other bit of art of Lara-Su out there, that stone is a brooch and a part of her outfit- 

xgNb4uQ.png&key=6d1b054384c4b56dedd0f9c85a213a89211056b3290c86bd9c68c629e04007fb

latest?cb=20150430022955

DaPb143U8AA4ASp.jpg

The wayfarer stone pretty clearly functions as a brooch in all of these pictures and, surprise surprise, isn't embedded in her goddamned neck. 

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Ken, there's more than a little difference between a small, lightweight decoration on the forehead and a whole freaking stone stuck just below someone's neck, especially when considering that the forehead is a vastly more stable location to stick something.  Hence why bindi go on the forehead and not the neck.

It also certainly doesn't help that in previous images, the gem was located above Lara-Su's clothing, leading anyone using the slightest bit of logic to assume it wasn't attached to her skin.

But no, apparently not making the ridiculous assumption that the gem was glued to Lara-Su's neck in reference to something that isn't even affixed to the neck in real life makes someone "astoundingly ignorant" to Ken.

I guess he's going for a Crystal Gem thing.

9 hours ago, horridus said:

Soo a guy's ignorant for not being able to psychically probe Penders mind and understand his (supposed) motives in making a bafflingly nonsensical design choice to lodge a stone in someone's throat? 

Especially cause, like you said... in every other bit of art of Lara-Su out there, that stone is a brooch and a part of her outfit- 

xgNb4uQ.png&key=6d1b054384c4b56dedd0f9c85a213a89211056b3290c86bd9c68c629e04007fb

latest?cb=20150430022955

DaPb143U8AA4ASp.jpg

The wayfarer stone pretty clearly functions as a brooch in all of these pictures and, surprise surprise, isn't embedded in her goddamned neck. 

Well, I think we can say this much: his artwork has improved somewhat over the years, even if the colors haven't had nearly as much progression. And the poses arguably went in the other direction.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well, I think we can say this much: his artwork has improved somewhat over the years, even if the colors haven't had nearly as much progression. And the poses arguably went in the other direction.

It hasn't.

Da9uTKfUwAIhnY6.jpg:large

It really, really hasn't.

DbNlYlcV4AE25jE.png

Penders never had a lot of skill for himself to begin with, but whatever he DID use to have ha rapidly degenerated by this point. There is no excuse for anyone who calls themselves a professional to be this shoddy, whether it is out of incompetence or simple laziness. That Penders finds this at all acceptable is truly astounding. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I guess he's going for a Crystal Gem thing.

I need to see some of Ken's older art to make a comparison.

Wait back up a moment, the blue thing is actually a brooch? I thought it was supposed to be a part of a necklace at first, at least that's what this old pic of Lara implies-

latest?cb=20130104090425

But ok, it's supposed to be a brooch, but now it's embedded on her neck? So Lara Su's a gem from a different planet now.

The things I miss when it comes to redesigns...

15 hours ago, horridus said:

It hasn't.

Da9uTKfUwAIhnY6.jpg:large

It really, really hasn't.

DbNlYlcV4AE25jE.png

You forgot this:

He has no excuses to draw this bad. As well as being a professional, there are thousands of FREE videos on how to draw and pose characters.

His drawings lack expression, the faces look disproportionate, the colors are horrible (a simple youtube video about color theory and shading should fix that dammit!).

He uses the simplest default brush on photoshop, that makes for very boring and monotonous shadows and textures, at least use a brush different from the simple soft brush!

The shadows and lights are not subtle, they are annoying.

Does he know about the option to modify opacity of a brush according to pressure??

What baffles me is not his bad drawings, but his refusal to acknowledge his drawing mistakes and improve them!

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm kind of shocked he hasn't made his obligatory comment about the latest movie news.

Something along the lines of "Just because there are mock logos floating around and they took the potential movie to a cinema convention doesn't mean it's being made. There isn't a cast list yet and they haven't showed the public any work on the movie so as of yet it's not being made. I know as I habe been in the media industry and have my own projects coming out like THE REPUBLIC and THE LOST ONES so unlike all of you I know exactly what is going on.

Perhaps he hasn't seen the news yet or no one has brought it to his attention.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

I'm kind of shocked he hasn't made his obligatory comment about the latest movie news.

What news?

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Perhaps it should stay that way.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Something along the lines of "Just because there are mock logos floating around and they took the potential movie to a cinema convention doesn't mean it's being made. There isn't a cast list yet and they haven't showed the public any work on the movie so as of yet it's not being made. I know as I habe been in the media industry and have my own projects coming out like THE REPUBLIC and THE LOST ONES so unlike all of you I know exactly what is going on.

Give it time. Either one of his fans will inform him or one of his hecklers will bring it up to bait him. Sooner or later he'll say SOMETHING, and then the usual round of denail while touting his 'insider expertise' will commence. For now, let's count the silence as a blessing while it lasts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What news?

Paramount has had advertising and mock logos up for the Sonic movie at a cinema convention recently. From what I understand they use these conventions to not only show off upcoming projects but to put it out there for licencing groups to look at for potential business deals to tie in with the movie etc.

Penders is usually pretty vocal each time a bit of news comes out on the movie that in his opinion they aren't making it, and it's just fluff to keep the licence from other studios and to keep it from competing with their other animated projects. Basically any theory that keeps his inner narrative that he's the only one that could successfully make a Sonic movie alive and kicking.

Edit : Had to laugh at this..

While it may be true he was a part of it which will never change, his "place" isn't really as grand as he often makes it out to be.

Sure if you want to be secured as "that writer for that small, mostly American, now footnote comic, which had very little if any impact on the main brand and later had your content purged from cannon anyway due to dubious court cases, and was replaced by another writer who for that series ended up writing more issues than yourself, and whose vision was liked better than yours by both the fans and the owners of said franchise, and is now trying desperately to cling to his past success by releasing a non-offical spinoff title".....whew...then yes, yes I suppose your place in Sonic's history is pretty well secured as people that remember the comics will remember you, but not for the reasons you seem to think they will. 

• Thumbs Up 8

It's pretty clear that while his place in Sonic history is secure, his legacy is anything but.

• Thumbs Up 5

I mean he's not wrong.

He has secured himself as a massive laughing stock in the fanbase so in a way, what he said is true, from a certain point of view.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

Indeedy. His legacy within the fandom is one of extreme scorn and mockery, and within the franchise itself? His work was scrubbed completely and is unlikely to be reprinted within his lifetime so long as the legal issues persist, and the outlook for his own project is grim given that in the near seven years that passed since the trial, he has produced nothing of substance and has given no real indicator of if and when his work is coming out. His work is literally without any kind of value to SEGA, and his entire career is now a waste. 

It'd be sad, if it wasn't his own damn fault. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Not to mention that it was more or less his own fault that his legacy got scrubbed from Archie, which more or less kickstarted the eventual torpedoing of the entire Archie Sonic branch, thus meaning now the only remnants of his legacy is his own word and a fan comic.

Yeah Archie might have had a hand with their own incompetence, but Ken was more or less the one who started the dominoes falling, and now his legacy will be that of a destroyer rather than a creator. Nice job Penders; you’re the fall of your own legacy.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm equally surprised that Penders hasn't mentioned IDW Sonic #1-4 selling out, #1 essentially selling out twice going for a third print. I would have thought he would be defending his opinion he made vocally before it's launch, that a Sonic comic based solely on the games and material Sega shared was going to tank and burn.

He did make light of Mega Drive #1 selling out when that happened, said we had no concrete figures and that he would stake his reputation that the old Archie issues he worked on likely sold more as the run for Mega Drive was likely smaller than when he was on the books. Wonder if IDW would release figures on their sell outs. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh, one of his fans did that on Twitter when IDW said the first issue got reprinted. One of the "Anti-Ian Flynn" guys.

• Absolutely 1

Ooof course they did. Of course they did. Heaven forbid that Flynn and IDW enjoy a bit of success without one of that lot raising a stink over it to their grand poobah. 

• Chuckle 2

I'm guessing your talking about that Nintrendodude person? I do try to ignore him, he's got a real bee in his bonnet about anything he personally doesn't enjoy, to the extreme level were he ignores all relevant information that clashes with his personal opinion. Much like someone else we know.

He was heckling Sega Europe this morning when they posted a tweet about Mania Plus, disagreeing with it being an evolution of Sonic and that returning to the Mega Drive formula was "lame as heck" and devolved the franchise, and that all the fans want (read as he wants) is a new 3D game with no callbacks, no 2D sections etc etc.

Regardless of how many people may want a good new 3D game, how you can ignore the fact it was the highest rated and one of the highest selling Sonic games in the last 15 years when the facts are out there for everyone to see is beyond me. I mean clearly there's support for Mania and it's certainly not "lame as heck".

He does seem to be one of Penders strongest supporters, and Ian's strongest detractors at the moment. I hope he gets what he's after with Lara-Su Chronicles, as his repeated posts with his blog posts about how much he hates Ian but blindly believes Penders has done no wrong what so ever with "facts", a lot of which have been pointed out to him to be wrong, does get grating after the umpteenth time. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1