Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I agree with the current line of thinking about Penders. He has to be trolling at this point. He has to know nobody really cares outside of a select few. Even those guys have to be sick of his stalling by now, they’re just not saying it.

I just want to say that I am brand new to the forums as a poster, but my history with Penders’ Sonic stuff has a long reach. I became sick of him during his infighting with Karl Bollers. Even then, Bollers always came across as the more mature of the two writers. I was ecstatic when Ian took over and loved a lot of what he was doing with the characters Ken had created. Then the lawsuit occurred and, lo and behold, this increasingly histrionic older comics creator re-entered the picture. Now, as I think is the same for most, if not all of you, I had no issue with the royalties he wanted. He should have gotten them the second the first Sonic Archives was put in production.

His desire for complete control over what Ian was doing with his characters enraged me, never mind his attitudes toward Ian, Karl, Mike and Angelo, or his general lack of respect for any artist other than himself and Jack Kirby. The more I read about the guy (his repurposing of the Niemoller quote and his ‘I have first-hand experience with the Holocaust’ statement, his wishy washy attitudes toward feminism and race, the tendency to post divisive clickbait on specific days. Anybody else remember the time he took a completely unnecessary jibe at Ian on Christmas Eve?), the more I disliked him.

I do wonder what the point of this topic is at this point, though. He completely lost any and all relevance the second Sega went to IDW with the license. Anybody want to clear that up for me?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:34 AM, dwitefry666 said:

We clearly visit differnt parts of the internet :D

actually, on that, I did this:

i_m_not_wearing_underwear_today_by_anoth

Thought I'd post it here, I buggered up the top lip and try as i might just...couldn't...get...it..right. She also came out quite chunky, dunno how that happened....

A definite improvement

16 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an element of stalling as well. Let’s face it; outside of the Sonic fandom and those who have any knowledge of Archie, how many people really give a damn about Kenders? Whatever work he did in the past has been flushed down the drain, the man’s burned almost as many bridges as Trump in New York, goodwill for him is at rock bottom due to his part in removing many characters people were fans of, and he frankly has no real backup plan if his stuff goes belly up.

Kenders is basically irrelevant, and I think he knows it even if he’d never admit it. Plus even if by some miracle he gets his act together, he still can’t win because his work is inherently tied to a continuity that not only technically doesn’t exist any more (thus confusing any newcomers), but still has a ton of characters that if he tries to make use of (and let’s face it, he’d certainly try to be sneaky about it), he’d just be putting himself straight into the line of fire of SEGA and probably Archie’s law groups for copyright infringement. The only way he’d ever get Lara anywhere would be to release it all for free, and that’s not gonna fly for his money grubbing ways.

So yeah, he can’t put it out without risking copyright infringement if he tries to monetize, and yet he can’t do nothing otherwise he falls into complete obscurity. And let’s face it; the latter would be too much to bear for him.

or he’s deluded enough to think that SEGA forgot about the whole mess and they’ll eventually get around to giving him more character rights for Sonic so he can sell his fancomic.

yeah, i definitely think that stalling is all he does 

I know I'm immensely late to this "party", but I can't help laughing at how this guy, seemingly straight faced serious over his project, churns out one page of the effort after almost a decade.  Christ, I actually forgot how long this shenanigan's been going on for.  Like Space Yeow said I am genuinely curious whether this is some half baked idea meant to partially troll comic fans.  How do you honestly defend yourself when you have all but a single page to show for in 8, freaking years?  Even by Penders' own, flimsy argument standards this one seems a tough one to talk your way out of.

5 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

I know I'm immensely late to this "party", but I can't help laughing at how this guy, seemingly straight faced serious over his project, churns out one page of the effort after almost a decade.  Christ, I actually forgot how long this shenanigan's been going on for.  Like Space Yeow said I am genuinely curious whether this is some half baked idea meant to partially troll comic fans.  How do you honestly defend yourself when you have all but a single page to show for in 8, freaking years?  Even by Penders' own, flimsy argument standards this one seems a tough one to talk your way out of.

In the meantime, we have 5 Sonic IDW issues in since the annoucement eleven mounths ago. That's 50 pages.

Compare that to 1 page in 8 years!!

I mean, in the IDW Sonic issues 2,3,4 the artists drew everything and inked everything themselves! Some even drawing-inking-coloring everything themselves!

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In the meantime, we have 5 Sonic IDW issues in since the annoucement eleven mounths ago. That's 50 pages.

Compare that to 1 page in 8 years!!

I mean, in the IDW Sonic issues 2,3,4 the artists drew everything and inked everything themselves! Some even drawing-inking-coloring everything themselves!

To give Penders minimal fairness, IDW isn’t a fair comparison. That’s a team of writers, artists, colourists, and inkers working together to hit deadlines. It isn’t exactly fair to compare a large scale comic creation operation to one man.

That said, as mentioned before, many many MANY fan artists doing web comics in eight years would almost definitely have far many more pages done, in the high double digits if not hundreds. So the fact Penders only has a page done in eight years is still insanely laughable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 5/18/2018 at 6:42 PM, SonicMkIII.0 said:

I do wonder what the point of this topic is at this point, though. He completely lost any and all relevance the second Sega went to IDW with the license. Anybody want to clear that up for me?

For some, it is to see what exactly was so worthwhile in his mind that the old Archie continuity deserved to die, a vain hope that the entire fiasco wasn't an ultimately pointless endeavor. On the side, its also served as a very nice 'how to not conduct yourself as a human being' guide. Though honestly, in the not-too-distant future, its going to be 2020 and he'll still have not released either the App or the first volume of this series. If that is the case, then serious thought might be given to shuttering the whole thing given that it'd be pretty clear by that point that he'd NEVER get it done. 

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To give Penders minimal fairness, IDW isn’t a fair comparison. That’s a team of writers, artists, colourists, and inkers working together to hit deadlines. It isn’t exactly fair to compare a large scale comic creation operation to one man.

That said, as mentioned before, many many MANY fan artists doing web comics in eight years would almost definitely have far many more pages done, in the high double digits if not hundreds. So the fact Penders only has a page done in eight years is still insanely laughable.

I should point out that its not eight years- it'll be seven years by the end of this year, and then after that, it will be eight years. That being said, even taking into account his decision to do everything alone, that's an absurd amount of time spent to show as little as he has. Even if he had only done two pages each week, even taking into account weeks he'd miss the deadlines for one reason or the next, he'd STILL have an excess of one hundred pages by now.

Its especially astounding given that its not like this man is a stickler for detail and quality. He has repeatedly shown his absolute willingness to rely on lazy, shoddy methods to get by. It'd be one thing if his pages were uber-detailed and staggeringly beautiful, but they aren't. They look like something a middle schooler first discovering photoshop would make. There's really no excuse. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, horridus said:

I should point out that its not eight years- it'll be seven years by the end of this year, and then after that, it will be eight years. That being said, even taking into account his decision to do everything alone, that's an absurd amount of time spent to show as little as he has. Even if he had only done two pages each week, even taking into account weeks he'd miss the deadlines for one reason or the next, he'd STILL have an excess of one hundred pages by now.

Its especially astounding given that its not like this man is a stickler for detail and quality. He has repeatedly shown his absolute willingness to rely on lazy, shoddy methods to get by. It'd be one thing if his pages were uber-detailed and staggeringly beautiful, but they aren't. They look like something a middle schooler first discovering photoshop would make. There's really no excuse. 

Not really excusing it, it's insanely lazy, I'm just pointing out it's not a fair comparison to compare IDW Sonic that has a full team working on the comic against a comic by one man. The more accurate comparison is fan artists, independent comics, and web comics, which would most likely be at 100+ pages on a consistent time-table at this point. Penders is still a lazy shit whose work reflects it, I just don't feel it's accurate or fair to use IDW Sonic to compare it to.

• Nice Smile 1

On 5/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not really excusing it, it's insanely lazy, I'm just pointing out it's not a fair comparison to compare IDW Sonic that has a full team working on the comic against a comic by one man. The more accurate comparison is fan artists, independent comics, and web comics, which would most likely be at 100+ pages on a consistent time-table at this point. Penders is still a lazy shit whose work reflects it, I just don't feel it's accurate or fair to use IDW Sonic to compare it to.

I know. I was just trying to reinforce that even giving him the benefit of the doubt, he still hasn't done a lot to be proud of and its entirely his own fault. My apologies if I didn't clearly articulate that. 

....though having said that, I do think he should lose some of those fairness points due to him boasting that his work is 'on par or even superior to anything put out by Archie' (at least according to some comic store owners who seem to share suspiciously similar opinions to him), as well as trying to hype his App as being superior to anything produced by DC or Marvel. 

• Nice Smile 1

He did say his "this has more art than your average graphic novel cuz everything is done in layers"

Which is ridiculous, since EVERY comic is done in layers these days, with better coloring to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like Penders can draw a background good, why would he refuse to draw backgrounds now?

Dd574YeVAAAUD3R.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Looks like Penders can draw a background good, why would he refuse to draw backgrounds now?

Dd574YeVAAAUD3R.jpg

Laziness maybe.

32 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Dd574YeVAAAUD3R.jpg

28 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Laziness maybe.

To be fair, that panel is cluttered af.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Dd574YeVAAAUD3R.jpg

That background is... okay. It's a bit messy and cluttered, but it doesn't look terrible. Far better than using photographs for backgrounds, which I wouldn't mind if they didn't come from stock photos. If he took them himself, cool, but I highly doubt he did (unless he took a huge trip those seven long years to gather material for his book... that was a joke, lol).

• Nice Smile 1

27 minutes ago, BlossomHaze said:

(unless he took a huge trip those seven long years to gather material for his book... that was a joke, lol).

Now see, that sounds like a pretty cool experience.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

As has been noted before, the tragedy of Penders - well, a tragedy, one of many - is that he's actually not that bad an artist when he only has someone telling him what to draw.  When it comes down to his own personal tastes, on the other hand, fairly obvious problems emerge...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Now see, that sounds like a pretty cool experience.

I agree; I would be okay with him using his own photographs in his work if he was just truthful about it. But, in all honesty, I think he should draw his backgrounds; it would melt better with his style and coloring.

That's probably the best piece of work I've seen from Penders, and I have to ask... what happened. What in God's name happened? That's like, legitimately good. Its very good compared to the bulk of his other work that I've seen, ESPECIALLY compared to his present output, so again I ask what happened to him that made his skills deteriorate so badly from this? It makes his insistence upon using photographs for his backgrounds seem all the more lazy, given that this establishes he that he can in fact make the effort needed. 

I think his refusal to really play to his strengths is a part of it- he's much better at drawing human(oid)s than he is at drawing anthros, and he's a lot better with traditional methods than he is digital. A lot of his in-progress work looks halfway passable before he starts to color and ink them digitally- he is just plain no good at computerized stuff. 

Speaking of-

Taking a page out of Hunger Games, eh?

I wish I were joking, but given Penders' tendency to nick bits and pieces from other franchises, I can't help but see this through a rather cynical lens.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

26 minutes ago, horridus said:

So, is this defended by fair use or if he tries to monetize his work would this Knuckles derivative land him in legal trouble? Admittedly, it's so far removed from Knuckles visually that at a casual glance you shouldn't make the connection, but he is trying to sell this to fans of his Sonic work, right? Doesn't that inherently carry the risk of someone reporting him for Copyright Infringement or is my lack of legal knowledge just preventing me from seeing how he expects to monetize this legally?

34 minutes ago, horridus said:

That's probably the best piece of work I've seen from Penders, and I have to ask... what happened. What in God's name happened? That's like, legitimately good. Its very good compared to the bulk of his other work that I've seen, ESPECIALLY compared to his present output, so again I ask what happened to him that made his skills deteriorate so badly from this? It makes his insistence upon using photographs for his backgrounds seem all the more lazy, given that this establishes he that he can in fact make the effort needed. 

I think his refusal to really play to his strengths is a part of it- he's much better at drawing human(oid)s than he is at drawing anthros, and he's a lot better with traditional methods than he is digital. A lot of his in-progress work looks halfway passable before he starts to color and ink them digitally- he is just plain no good at computerized stuff. 

Speaking of-

I wish I were joking, but given Penders' tendency to nick bits and pieces from other franchises, I can't help but see this through a rather cynical lens.

What's up with K'nox's pose?

Case in point; the base sketch isn't bad, but I really don't want to see it as a finished product.

28 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So, is this defended by fair use or if he tries to monetize his work would this Knuckles derivative land him in legal trouble? Admittedly, it's so far removed from Knuckles visually that at a casual glance you shouldn't make the connection, but he is trying to sell this to fans of his Sonic work, right? Doesn't that inherently carry the risk of someone reporting him for Copyright Infringement or is my lack of legal knowledge just preventing me from seeing how he expects to monetize this legally?

I think there's an awful lot of "it depends" in there.  Changing the character's name and tweaking his appearance goes some way to satisfying baseline obligations to originality, but as I understand it it would depend on how far he tries to push the connection to the original canon.  If your average consumer could still look at The Lara-Su Chronicles and think that it was possibly an official Sonic spin-off, licensed and legitimate, he would be in trouble.  As it is, I think he's probably made just enough changes to get away with it - until you get onto stuff like him apparently intending to straight-up present pages of the Archie comic alongside his own work, apparent intent to use other characters he never owned nor even used...

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

On 5/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, horridus said:

Speaking of-

I thought pants was banned in Echyd'nya land

40 minutes ago, Razule said:

I thought pants was banned in Echyd'nya land

He also said a brooch was somehow connected to her neck. Internal consistency isn't exactly a top priority for Penders. Besides, I THINK those are meant to be bottoms that don't cover the legs, so, technically still pantless. Cause you know, granny panties and a sports bra are a totally awesome design choice for a sci-fi heroine... 

• Thumbs Up 1