Jump to content
Spin Attaxx

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Recommended Posts

On 14/05/2018 at 8:54 AM, horridus said:

Huzzah. Seven years, and we finally have the first page of the actual story, rather than putzing around with Captain Rocket Crotch and Double-O-Stinkbomb. A sappy, poorly colored, lazily concocted page that uses photographed backgrounds and amateurish shading. But hey, at least we now know what Lara's butt tattoo looks like, and like I said, its the first ACTUAL page to feature her after years of St. John and Taelor. 

I've long stopped trying to actively follow this charade, but this is the thing that gets me, honestly. Like, even putting aside the bizarrely subpar quality of the work itself.

It's been nearing eight years since this whole nonsense started, yet Penders is only now publishing the first page of his comic after all this time? Any (web)comic creator/artist/writer/whathaveyou worth their salt would had pushed out multiple entire issues or hundreds of pages in the same amount of time. People with even a quasi-consistent work ethic would have published double-digit pages of their (web)comic by this point. Meanwhile, it looks very likely Penders won't even have just one issue completed over the course of an entire decade.

It's things like this that keep me convinced that this guy isn't anywhere near remotely serious with making this comic, and this is just an elaborate troll on his part; just to thumb his nose at Archie/Sega for "winning" the rights to his characters back. The only other reason I can think of is that his priorities and attitude towards developing his comic are being heavily skewed by a hilariously massive ego, which TBH doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Or maybe it's some magical combination of both. I just don't even know with this guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

It's things like this that keep me convinced that this guy isn't anywhere near remotely serious with making this comic, and this is just an elaborate troll on his part; just to thumb his nose at Archie/Sega for "winning" the rights to his characters back. The only other reason I can think of is that his priorities and attitude towards developing his comic are being heavily skewed by a hilariously massive ego, which TBH doesn't seem entirely out of the question. Or maybe it's some magical combination of both. I just don't even know with this guy. 

The time it's taken him to do anything of note with this project is doubly ironic, given that he's actually disparaged webcomic creators and claimed that he could do a webcomic 'in his sleep' despite demonstrably lacking any ability to match or even approach the output of the average webcomic creator. 

You're not the first to suspect that this is all some kind of elaborate scam on his part. I myself find it viable to consider that he doesn't ACTUALLY want to finish this and is only engaging in all of this as a means of holding onto the copyright or whatever of his characters, much like how Fox would fart out Fantastic Four films in order to keep their hands on the movie rights for the characters. 

If Penders is indeed not serious about this, then his dedication to maintaining the illusion is absolutely staggering. He's shelled out money to have translations done for comic pages, made and advertised tie-in products with the intent to sell them on his ebay, and not once has he ever let up on his insistence that this going to be A Thing and that he has Big Plans for his project. While I don't dispute it as impossible, that's a frankly absurd amount of attention to pay on an elaborate prank. 

Frankly, I think it more likely that Penders lacks the work ethic to get anywhere with this, and is too willing to delude himself into thinking he can multitask and tackle multiple projects- he is also working on 'The Republic' as well, and has been 2016, with little or nothing to show for THAT either. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horridus said:

Frankly, I think it more likely that Penders lacks the work ethic to get anywhere with this, and is too willing to delude himself into thinking he can multitask and tackle multiple projects- he is also working on 'The Republic' as well, and has been 2016, with little or nothing to show for THAT either.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an element of stalling as well. Let’s face it; outside of the Sonic fandom and those who have any knowledge of Archie, how many people really give a damn about Kenders? Whatever work he did in the past has been flushed down the drain, the man’s burned almost as many bridges as Trump in New York, goodwill for him is at rock bottom due to his part in removing many characters people were fans of, and he frankly has no real backup plan if his stuff goes belly up.

Kenders is basically irrelevant, and I think he knows it even if he’d never admit it. Plus even if by some miracle he gets his act together, he still can’t win because his work is inherently tied to a continuity that not only technically doesn’t exist any more (thus confusing any newcomers), but still has a ton of characters that if he tries to make use of (and let’s face it, he’d certainly try to be sneaky about it), he’d just be putting himself straight into the line of fire of SEGA and probably Archie’s law groups for copyright infringement. The only way he’d ever get Lara anywhere would be to release it all for free, and that’s not gonna fly for his money grubbing ways.

So yeah, he can’t put it out without risking copyright infringement if he tries to monetize, and yet he can’t do nothing otherwise he falls into complete obscurity. And let’s face it; the latter would be too much to bear for him.

or he’s deluded enough to think that SEGA forgot about the whole mess and they’ll eventually get around to giving him more character rights for Sonic so he can sell his fancomic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the current line of thinking about Penders. He has to be trolling at this point. He has to know nobody really cares outside of a select few. Even those guys have to be sick of his stalling by now, they’re just not saying it.

I just want to say that I am brand new to the forums as a poster, but my history with Penders’ Sonic stuff has a long reach. I became sick of him during his infighting with Karl Bollers. Even then, Bollers always came across as the more mature of the two writers. I was ecstatic when Ian took over and loved a lot of what he was doing with the characters Ken had created. Then the lawsuit occurred and, lo and behold, this increasingly histrionic older comics creator re-entered the picture. Now, as I think is the same for most, if not all of you, I had no issue with the royalties he wanted. He should have gotten them the second the first Sonic Archives was put in production.

His desire for complete control over what Ian was doing with his characters enraged me, never mind his attitudes toward Ian, Karl, Mike and Angelo, or his general lack of respect for any artist other than himself and Jack Kirby. The more I read about the guy (his repurposing of the Niemoller quote and his ‘I have first-hand experience with the Holocaust’ statement, his wishy washy attitudes toward feminism and race, the tendency to post divisive clickbait on specific days. Anybody else remember the time he took a completely unnecessary jibe at Ian on Christmas Eve?), the more I disliked him.

I do wonder what the point of this topic is at this point, though. He completely lost any and all relevance the second Sega went to IDW with the license. Anybody want to clear that up for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 3:34 AM, dwitefry666 said:

We clearly visit differnt parts of the internet :D

actually, on that, I did this:

i_m_not_wearing_underwear_today_by_anoth

Thought I'd post it here, I buggered up the top lip and try as i might just...couldn't...get...it..right. She also came out quite chunky, dunno how that happened....

A definite improvement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an element of stalling as well. Let’s face it; outside of the Sonic fandom and those who have any knowledge of Archie, how many people really give a damn about Kenders? Whatever work he did in the past has been flushed down the drain, the man’s burned almost as many bridges as Trump in New York, goodwill for him is at rock bottom due to his part in removing many characters people were fans of, and he frankly has no real backup plan if his stuff goes belly up.

Kenders is basically irrelevant, and I think he knows it even if he’d never admit it. Plus even if by some miracle he gets his act together, he still can’t win because his work is inherently tied to a continuity that not only technically doesn’t exist any more (thus confusing any newcomers), but still has a ton of characters that if he tries to make use of (and let’s face it, he’d certainly try to be sneaky about it), he’d just be putting himself straight into the line of fire of SEGA and probably Archie’s law groups for copyright infringement. The only way he’d ever get Lara anywhere would be to release it all for free, and that’s not gonna fly for his money grubbing ways.

So yeah, he can’t put it out without risking copyright infringement if he tries to monetize, and yet he can’t do nothing otherwise he falls into complete obscurity. And let’s face it; the latter would be too much to bear for him.

or he’s deluded enough to think that SEGA forgot about the whole mess and they’ll eventually get around to giving him more character rights for Sonic so he can sell his fancomic.

yeah, i definitely think that stalling is all he does 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.