Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

53 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Anyone here ever met Penders in person?

No but I bought a comic off of him years ago. In the early 2000s I got into the Archie comics and I started buying older comics. Some through the comic itself and some on eBay. So I bought the Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles Super Special off of eBay and the return address on the package was Ken Penders. I thought it was weird that he was selling the comics on eBay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 6/17/2018 at 12:26 AM, Sidronas said:

I unfortunately saw that trailer and going as it is, that was a really terrible trailer- especially since he tried to insert himself into it.

There's a trailer for the Sonic Movie out?

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There's a trailer for the Sonic Movie out?

If you mean Ken’s pitch for “Sonic Armageddon”, yes.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

Idk if this is what he was referring to or not yet, but okay smarty.

Ah min, I remember this. Is that girl supposed to be Irish or something?

Gotta love that jump in tone and quality half way through.

17 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

yeah, i meant Ken's ancient scrapped one, sorry

Uuuh...huh. Okay then. Cool beans. Not confusing at all. Nope. It all will make sense. It happened, except it didn't happen, except it did happen, and now this guy is that guy but still this guy and blah blah blah. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

And they will eventually fade away by way of a time paradox, making it a 100% clean cut. But that's just me...

In all honesty, I do not understand this to a certain degree. The Archie Sonic comic is gone, and many of the fans of the original and rebooted run either moved on to something else or jumped ship to IDW. There may be some that are genuinely interested in this app and I can respect to a degree that he would want to do what George Lucas did and put a story of a franchise in his own direction (the first original movie and the prequel trilogy), even though there would be a chance of complications and failure, even though Lucas already created/owned the franchise and Mr. Penders got his copyrights through a technicality, but I honestly do not see this going very far. I could be wrong, but only time will tell, if/when (emphasis on both terms) this app is finally released. 

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, horridus said:

Uuuh...huh. Okay then. Cool beans. Not confusing at all. Nope. It all will make sense. It happened, except it didn't happen, except it did happen, and now this guy is that guy but still this guy and blah blah blah. 

Pff timeline changing is just retcons with in-universe justification.

• Thumbs Up 7

There is like no way this thing is going to sell outside of his microscopic fanbase. That's part of the reason I want it too release already so it can crash and burn and he can start ranting about how it was everybody's fault but his.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/21/2018 at 6:58 PM, Promethean0416 said:

And they will eventually fade away by way of a time paradox, making it a 100% clean cut. But that's just me...

In all honesty, I do not understand this to a certain degree. The Archie Sonic comic is gone, and many of the fans of the original and rebooted run either moved on to something else or jumped ship to IDW. There may be some that are genuinely interested in this app and I can respect to a degree that he would want to do what George Lucas did and put a story of a franchise in his own direction (the first original movie and the prequel trilogy), even though there would be a chance of complications and failure, even though Lucas already created/owned the franchise and Mr. Penders got his copyrights through a technicality, but I honestly do not see this going very far. I could be wrong, but only time will tell, if/when (emphasis on both terms) this app is finally released. 

I kinda have a speculation that TLSC will eventually be little more than a springboard into something even less connected to Sonic. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

I kinda have a speculation that TLSC will eventually be little more than a springboard into something even less connected to Sonic. 

Considering the number of times he tried to make the original Archie Comics about his Echidna Suetopia and kill off/make irrelevant anyone else who didn't fit his narrow vision of his "epic", you are probably not far off the mark. Granted knowing him, he'll probably still end up throwing in pseudo-Sonic pandering elements to try to piggyback off Sonic even then.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

On 6/22/2018 at 2:11 AM, Razule said:

Pff timeline changing is just retcons with in-universe justification.

Just realized I missed a perfect opportunity for a Steven Universe reference

uh

"Timeline altering is a cheap tactic to make weak retcons sensible"

Nailed it

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, Shaun Shikeishuu said:

Ah so he's the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna. 

In his heart of hearts he likely believes it. He's been careful to not explicitly phrase it that way, but he HAS said things like how he brought value to Knuckles and even referred to himself as the 'savior' of the comic at one point, and repeatedly pushes the idea of how much more successful the brand would be if only those FOOLS at SEGA would follow HIS vision (paraphrased, naturally). Read between the lines and it becomes pretty clear that he views himself as being more 'worthy' of that title than the actual people who made and own the Sonic franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Its the nature of the business but I can see how it could be hard to accept that the biggest thing you've done in your career, something you spent over a decade working on be a combination of something that will never really be acknowledged by the main brand, something that can successfully go on without your input and be thrown away so easily.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Its the nature of the business but I can see how it could be hard to accept that the biggest thing you've done in your career, something you spent over a decade working on be a combination of something that will never really be acknowledged by the main brand, something that can successfully go on without your input and be thrown away so easily.

But this is the same for Flynn, Yardley, Sanley... Tangle's not gonna be in the game but is still popular.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

But this is the same for Flynn, Yardley, Sanley... Tangle's not gonna be in the game but is still popular.

I think most that work on licenced properties do have realistic expectations about the chances that something they made crosses over into the main product or maybe even further. I just get the feeling that Penders is a rare case of someone unable to accept that something that took up a significant of their life is so disposable.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I think most that work on licenced properties do have realistic expectations about the chances that something they made crosses over into the main product or maybe even further. I just get the feeling that Penders is a rare case of someone unable to accept that something that took up a significant of their life is so disposable.

Preetty much. Penders developed a really possessive and entitled view of the Sonic comics he worked on, refusing to acknowledge other writers unless he had to and getting into a feud with Bollers for daring to suggest that 25YL was 'a' future rather than 'the' future. He then made it clear that if he ever came back to the book he would just ignore what Flynn did and pick up where he left off, and then later had the gall to claim that Flynn should have called and consulted him about his plans and such after Penders had left, claiming it was a 'courtesy'. 

I blame the circumstances in which he worked on the comic. He pretty much ruled the roost over at Archie for years, and frankly I think it spoiled him. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

53 minutes ago, horridus said:

Preetty much. Penders developed a really possessive and entitled view of the Sonic comics he worked on, refusing to acknowledge other writers unless he had to and getting into a feud with Bollers for daring to suggest that 25YL was 'a' future rather than 'the' future. He then made it clear that if he ever came back to the book he would just ignore what Flynn did and pick up where he left off, and then later had the gall to claim that Flynn should have called and consulted him about his plans and such after Penders had left, claiming it was a 'courtesy'.  

I blame the circumstances in which he worked on the comic. He pretty much ruled the roost over at Archie for years, and frankly I think it spoiled him.

I know people like that in real life, they are very nice and decent people, but can't change opinions at all (like politics for example).

• Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I think it has more to do about being professional about it. If you're paid to create characters for a company, you know well that the company will rightfully reserve all and every right on how the characters you created will be used both in the present and future. Naturally people will grow to be attached to thr things they help create, but also are aware of who ultimately owns them and will know to move on once their services are no longer required. 

Just imagine if Kenji Terada, the author behind those old Sonic manga that featured early concepts for actual game characters like Amy or Charmy tried to pull a Penders and fought Sega for the ownership of those characters. That wouldn't look very professional on his end.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

I think it has more to do about being professional about it. If you're paid to create characters for a company, you know well that the company will rightfully reserve all and every right on how the characters you created will be used both in the present and future. Naturally people will grow to be attached to thr things they help create, but also are aware of who ultimately owns them and will know to move on once their services are no longer required. 

Just imagine if Kenji Terada, the author behind those old Sonic manga that featured early concepts for actual game characters like Amy or Charmy tried to pull a Penders and fought Sega for the ownership of those characters. That wouldn't look very professional on his end.

Plus, regardless of contract or not, some of the characters are straight up clones of other characters like Scourge.

The man wouldn't know "courtesy" if it slapped him in the face.

"Courtesy" is what people show him whenever they try to placate him about his app, or most any of this.

"Courtesy" is what's completely absent in his treatment of others.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what, recently someone asked him about the Niemoller poem that he used in a sonic comic, instead of a normal answer, he sidesteped the issue and made it into a how it is justified with his political beliefs, and worst of all, he revealed that he put in some ''Mein Kampf'' (Isn't that Hitler's self memoirs or something like that). I know it is about a hedgehog, and of course at least SATAM had the gloomy repression of Robotnik's tyranny (or the Empire from Star Wars etc. as well),  I don't see why he needed to put in those quotes. (one of the the earliest memory about World War II stuff was the Young Indianan Jones series).

It would have been better if he at least put put in where he got it from, if you don't know where it was from - Don't include it - wise directions i got from school

22 minutes ago, Sidronas said:

You know what, recently someone asked him about the Niemoller poem that he used in a sonic comic, instead of a normal answer, he sidesteped the issue and made it into a how it is justified with his political beliefs, and worst of all, he revealed that he put in some ''Mein Kampf'' (Isn't that Hitler's self memoirs or something like that). I know it is about a hedgehog, and of course at least SATAM had the gloomy repression of Robotnik's tyranny (or the Empire from Star Wars etc. as well),  I don't see why he needed to put in those quotes. (one of the the earliest memory about World War II stuff was the Young Indianan Jones series).

It would have been better if he at least put put in where he got it from, if you don't know where it was from - Don't reference it- wise directions i got from school

He didn't 'need' to put the quotes in. He did it because he wanted to show that he was writing about Very Important Issues and to demonstrate how Very Serious that arc was. All in the name of pretending his primary audience wasn't comprised of ten year olds. It didn't matter how slipshod, half-assed and poorly conceived the parallels were. It didn't matter that the most infamous of the stolen quotes, the Niemoller poem, had absolutely nothing to do with how Robotnik took over Mobius and as such had no real context for existing. 

All that mattered to him was appearing 'deep'. That he's too damaged to appreciate his damning lack of sense and why it would rub people the wrong way is his problem, as is his inability to accept what he did was ill-conceived and inappropriate at best and horrible offensive at worst. Everything about it, at the end is all about three things, and three alone- him, him, him. 

Its repulsive on a number of levels, but that's Penders for you. 

• Thumbs Up 9