Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

That bit is very common in shows aimed at children and teens since it makes characters relatable to them while not being afflicted by the boredom of total realism.  Personally I don't think KP was the best example ever since her being too perfect made her boring in her own way, and most of the entertainment of the show came from the villains; admittedly they were really entertaining.

Either way, something Ken Penders is missing is that in order to play that relatability card, the young protagonist has to be center of the story and not just a side character.  Or at least, I can't think of any time this trope really has been tried when it's a side character.

For all the bad ideas in this, though, me-oh-my; I want it to come out and I'm pretty sure many others do, for reasons akin to the ones I noted about the Sonic movie: We want to witness something delightfully absurd.  The difference is that I actually hope the movie is good, because if it's not I don't expect the backlash to be against the mere notion of live-action/CGI hybrid Sonic films with Sonic having human-like proportions; we all know it will tar the whole Sonic brand given its infamous history.  Penders, meanwhile, I don't believe deserves to have a successful product given just how unpleasant he is.  Then again, if he's going to do things that get so many characters erased from their original series, he at the very least owes it to them to save them on his end.  Then again, even if those characters have a fandom, that fandom might prefer they die with dignity to being revived in a book that sucks.

Ultimately, however, I'm whistling in the dark.  I have not read any of Penders' work, nor much involving characters he created, but it's sure easy for me to find his art ugly given how it's just off-model depictions of something recognizable.

• Thumbs Up 2

If the lost ones was too late for the X-Men bandwagon this would have been too late to ride the Young Adult/Hunger Games bandwagon.

16 hours ago, amadeii said:

Also, he appears to have a fixation with girls whose names end in -ara

Nobody tell him about the Pategonian Mara.

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

You know, I probably shouldn't say this...but that actually looks sorta good and sounds kinda decent.

Comes across as a tad dated and Captain Ersatz-y, sure, but overall that's not a bad setup for a little series.

Also, NUMAN!

Art kinda reminds me of early late 90's "western manga art"" when western artist tried to catch in on the anime hype without understanding how it Worked.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, Tylinos said:

I think we have a new contender for the most ridiculous thing Ken has ever said.

Yes, Ken: Most people did buy the comic simply because it was about Sonic.  That's the entire point of having a licensed property; People will buy it because of the property.

I don't doubt at all that there are some people who bought the comics who never played the games.  There are always going to be a few outliers.  But saying that most people bought it completely for that reason?  Just...what?  Why would anyone even remotely believe that?  Did he get a few letters from people saying that's how it was for them and just assumed that meant most readers were like this?

I'll say it once again: Ken does not understand business, marketing, or people in general.

Even the kids who couldnt afford it, Bought the comics because they know about the games , I started with the comics because I knew about the games and finally got the games when they started being released on systems I had, Penders really does believe the comics was the main force of Sonic's populairity and sorry but that's Just a delusion.

• Thumbs Up 7

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, Kellodrawsalot said:

Art kinda reminds me of early late 90's "western manga art"" when western artist tried to catch in on the anime hype without understanding how it Worked.

You know I'm convinced Penders drew some off those. I can't help but notice a major similarity with the art. Then again I can't prove that.

3 hours ago, Tylinos said:

I think we have a new contender for the most ridiculous thing Ken has ever said.

Yes, Ken: Most people did buy the comic simply because it was about Sonic.  That's the entire point of having a licensed property; People will buy it because of the property.

I don't doubt at all that there are some people who bought the comics who never played the games.  There are always going to be a few outliers.  But saying that most people bought it completely for that reason?  Just...what?  Why would anyone even remotely believe that?  Did he get a few letters from people saying that's how it was for them and just assumed that meant most readers were like this?

I'll say it once again: Ken does not understand business, marketing, or people in general.

I was getting into Sonic around his time 2003 or 2004 and saw the Comics in the Mega Collection. I thought neat saw they only went up a certain way and figured they were canceled. Then I found #140 at a Winn-Dixie and started collecting them via Ebay starting with a set that had #144-146. So yeah I got in through the games. Sorry to spoil Ken's delusion.

Not to say there weren't fans that only read the comics and didn't care about the games but they're a far smaller number than he realizes.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I didn't have a Genesis when the comic came out, but my friend did (I had Super Nintendo).

Still loved the Sonic games, and that's what drew me to the comics and cartoons.

• Nice Smile 1

On 2/5/2019 at 11:41 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

That bit is very common in shows aimed at children and teens since it makes characters relatable to them while not being afflicted by the boredom of total realism.  Personally I don't think KP was the best example ever since her being too perfect made her boring in her own way, and most of the entertainment of the show came from the villains; admittedly they were really entertaining.

The ultimate point I was attempting to make is that it feels like a possible attempt to cash in on something that was still popular around the time he left Archie, and around the time he probably started up on this Colony 6 idea, much like his attempt to break into mainstream comics, The Lost Ones, was an attempt to ride the coattails of the trends set off by Image Comics in the 90s. Even discounting that possibility, the bottom line is that this ideas that he seems so certain would amaze people sounds like other things that already cover the same ground, only far, far more boring, and with a heaping dosage of outdated notions of storytelling heaps onto it. 

I just find it all indicative of what Penders entire approach to his work is, at this point. There's absolutely nothing here that doesn't feel artificial and like a shallow attempt to appeal to a certain audience while not even bothering to try and actually understand said audience. It's a particularly soulless, corporate approach to creative work, the kind that Penders himself likes to rail against even though he himself is a perfect example of it in action. 

In short, it feels less like Penders wanted to make 'this' kind of story out of a genuine interest and more because he thought it was what teens wanted to see, and as such didn't bother to make the right kind of effort. 

11 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Yeah, it's not especially surprising by this point. For a while now Penders has been continually hyping his role in the comics and their impact, to the point where he rather implicitly believes that not only are the comics somehow this unsung international franchise that had a huge audience that was bigger than the games, but that all of that is solely do to him and his efforts. I think that he's so desperate to be regarded as a Big Deal in not just Sonic but the wider comics industry that he's trying his damndest to convince himself that this is all the case and that he is the unsung hero of the Sonic franchise. 

The dreadful irony is that at one point he had a rather realistic understanding of how the games influenced the sales and popularity of the book, namely that during that period after Sonic 3+Knuckles and Sonic Adventure, with SatAM being cancelled and no new big games or shows in the interim, Archie was the 'only game in town' for a while in North America. Of course, he's since revised his opinion, largely so that he can make his career seem more impressive than it actually is. 

And since everyone is sharing, then yeah, I will say it also- I knew SOnic as a game first and got interested in the other stuff because Sonic led me there. Especially back in the 90s the games VASTLY outsold the comics, and while its not doubtful that people were led into the games via the comics, the numbers would be absolutely minimal compared to people who found the comics via the games and understand Sonic as a game franchise. 

It's just another symptom of Penders absolutely refusing to acknowledge that Sonic is a VIDEO GAME franchise and that the comics he worked on were just one small part of t hat. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, Heckboy said:

Why does anyone care about this guy anymore

Because this is a Sonic board.  It's been obvious for decades that while this series and its derivatives aren't always good, they're often fascinatingly weird.  Obsessing about the latter bits has become a big part of Sonic fan culture.

But my word; Penders.  I knew this guy was racking up a lot negative adjectives; pretentious, rude, conceited, bossy...but since he spent a lot of time as a head writer and noticed similarities to his work in Sonic Chronicles well enough to sue over it, I figured he at least had a functioning mind.  Now, though, it seems like Ken might also be downright stupid.  Or maybe he just is pretending to be totally clueless about how unimportant he was to Sonic's success, in order to boast, but since people see right through it, he still comes off as stupid.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on what Ken is doing - (other then ranting on about politics)

More proof he's barely even started this project -

Huh? 

HUH?

Are you kidding me?

Wait, THE REPUBLIC isn't dead? Are you fucking kidding me?

TLDR; Ken is doing nothing, sorry for wasting your time .

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 2

Another day, another bundle of excuses. Well, don't fret. Something tells me that the closer we get to the Sonic movie's release date, the more 'progress' we'll see from Penders. That or maybe he'll release more stuff about his own failed Sonic movie pitch. Either way, I doubt we're gonna be seeing anything of genuine substance before this year ends. 

• Thumbs Up 6

36 minutes ago, horridus said:

Another day, another bundle of excuses. Well, don't fret. Something tells me that the closer we get to the Sonic movie's release date, the more 'progress' we'll see from Penders. That or maybe he'll release more stuff about his own failed Sonic movie pitch. Either way, I doubt we're gonna be seeing anything of genuine substance before this year ends. 

Or after.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, glory be- we have an update. Of sorts.

Well now, isn't that cute- a script sample that gives us zero indicaiton of how far along he is towards adapting it! Ah, but then given that he still feels the need to tweak it, it wouldn't be far at all would it? 

Sadly, this tweet is only a half truth. That second page there, with the Brotherhood? Penders already posted it... FIVE years ago on his forum, as 'evidence' of how far along he was then as well. 

Word for word, it is the same, and again- this was originally posted  FIVE years ago. 

The link, for those who need proof-

http://web.archive.org/web/20150725061423/http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2645

Way to show how much progress you've made, Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 3

For a moment, I thought that surely there must've been something changed, even just a word or two.  But nope, it's exactly the same, complete with the typo in Sojourner's name, and yet Ken's touting it as newly updated.

Heck, look at the page break: Page 69 starts at the end there, which means this is still the end of page 68, just like it was in the old excerpt.  In other words, the length of the first 68 pages hasn't changed at all in the past 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 6

I can't even muster annoyance anymore. I'm so over this now. But what the fuck is up with Lara-Suand Spectre's conversation? This doesn't read like 2 people talking it just reads like sentences strung together in random order. Then again that's always been a problem of his. 

What exactly did she do with Remington there? Like, I get a Batman vibe from it, but it sounds like she entered an area between dimensions or something.

Who was Soujourner again?

15 hours ago, horridus said:

Sadly, this tweet is only a half truth. That second page there, with the Brotherhood? Penders already posted it... FIVE years ago on his forum, as 'evidence' of how far along he was then as well. 

Word for word, it is the same, and again- this was originally posted  FIVE years ago. 

The link, for those who need proof-

http://web.archive.org/web/20150725061423/http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2645

Way to show how much progress you've made, Penders. 

Yeah, someone mentioned that in the replies.

12 hours ago, Tylinos said:

For a moment, I thought that surely there must've been something changed, even just a word or two.  But nope, it's exactly the same, complete with the typo in Sojourner's name, and yet Ken's touting it as newly updated.

Heck, look at the page break: Page 69 starts at the end there, which means this is still the end of page 68, just like it was in the old excerpt.  In other words, the length of the first 68 pages hasn't changed at all in the past 5 years.

Cheese and rice, are you friggin kidding me? :lol: 

The funny thing is that, after wasting his and Sega/Archie's money with the court drama to claim property of his characters (& NOT-Knuckles) and all the years that have passed, Pender still has nothing to really show.

On the other hand, Flynn and the people at IDW introduced two original characters who are about to have their own mini-series.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1