Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

What gets me about this is that this map was specifically done for "Brave New World," a story he wrote and (well, mostly) illustrated. It's kind of weird to learn he apparently rejected this concept later on because it's what opened up how to develop the world of the comic. Like, when did that happen?

4 minutes ago, horridus said:

I don't think it was so much that he rejected the concept so much as him never having seen it that way to begin with. You forget that Penders is far, far more comfortable in the shoddiness of his work than most writers or artists would be. In all likelihood he found it perfectly acceptable to his idea that Mobius is a wholly alien world to give it a geography that was likely traced from a map of Earth and then simply altered here and there. It probably never occurred to him that others would look upon it, notice the similarity and use that in conjunction with Mobius' inhabitants primarily being anthropomorphic animals to decide that Mobius was in fact a future version of Earth. To say nothing of Penders doing crap like having 2001: A Space Odyssey evidently be a book that Echidnas read... 

So yeah, I don't think he saw things one way and then later changed his mind. I think he always saw things one way and was just too lazy to do any better, only to get huffy when someone else finally pulled the trigger and gave a definite answer as to Mobius' nature, one that stood contrary to his view of things. 

I like how most of civilization is in Mobius America while apparently 90% of the rest of the world is a wasteland.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

You know at least TMNT started as a much more serious darker comic book series as a parody to the dark comic book series in the 80's, Sonic at the end of the day began and was always a colorful series meant to appeal to a wilder audience.

There is a reason why the edgyness of Shadow the Hedgehog rubbed people the wrong way. Having swear words in your comic doesn't make your comic more adult Penders dear.

Shh, please don't let on. I want to see how much deeper this well goes. ;)

7 hours ago, Adamis said:

"CyberDark"...

You know, even if they're villains, is it their goal to tell people "hey we are EVIL, we have DARK in our name, now shake in terror" ...? Do they even see themselves as villains ?

You could be a villain but see yourself being right or anything, and not resorting to using "dark" or "evil" or whatever just to emphasize your bad side... 

I was JUST thinking, "Of all the parts of that name to change, of course he picks the one that makes the most sense."

1 hour ago, horridus said:

I don't think it was so much that he rejected the concept so much as him never having seen it that way to begin with. You forget that Penders is far, far more comfortable in the shoddiness of his work than most writers or artists would be. In all likelihood he found it perfectly acceptable to his idea that Mobius is a wholly alien world to give it a geography that was likely traced from a map of Earth and then simply altered here and there. It probably never occurred to him that others would look upon it, notice the similarity and use that in conjunction with Mobius' inhabitants primarily being anthropomorphic animals to decide that Mobius was in fact a future version of Earth. To say nothing of Penders doing crap like having 2001: A Space Odyssey evidently be a book that Echidnas read... 

So yeah, I don't think he saw things one way and then later changed his mind. I think he always saw things one way and was just too lazy to do any better, only to get huffy when someone else finally pulled the trigger and gave a definite answer as to Mobius' nature, one that stood contrary to his view of things. 

Penders takes someone else's original design/concept, smudges it a bit, and declares it his own wholly unique and distinct creation. 

In other words, business as usual for him.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/11/2019 at 3:09 PM, horridus said:

Image result for Archie Map of Mobiuscall

Ok, I've seen this map before... wait, what the fuck? What's with number 28? The "LETHAL RADIOACTIVE ZONE" !?! I don't remember seeing this on the map before, and I sure as shit don't remember Sonic going to Chernobyl in the comic! lmao, any idea what gives?

• Thumbs Up 1

Got ourselves another update that isn't actually an update- page layouts.

I will say that this does look better than Penders' final, finished products, but geeze their faces are giving me the creeps something fierce. 

• Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, horridus said:

Got ourselves another update that isn't actually an update- page layouts.

I will say that this does look better than Penders' final, finished products, but geeze their faces are giving me the creeps something fierce. 

Yeah, I was about to say, it actually doesn't look half bad. 

Though yes, the nose is making think of Miniseries!Pennywise.

Makes me think he should just stick to hand drawing and maybe using pencils for coloring. Might work better than his 2000s era photoshop skills.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

On 3/17/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mr Silvia said:

Ok, I've seen this map before... wait, what the fuck? What's with number 28? The "LETHAL RADIOACTIVE ZONE" !?! I don't remember seeing this on the map before, and I sure as shit don't remember Sonic going to Chernobyl in the comic! lmao, any idea what gives?

There's a few locations on the map that never showed up in the comic, for whatever reason. They might've just come up with cool-sounding locations with the intention of maybe using them later but it never happened.

I've actually always wondered what the Land of a Million Lights is supposed to be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Makes me think he should just stick to hand drawing and maybe using pencils for coloring. Might work better than his 2000s era photoshop skills.

Yeah, I've said this before, but he generally works a lot better with more traditional drawing and coloring methods than he does with digital. Alas, for whatever reason he himself does not seem to realize this even remotely, and so inflicts horror upon the world with his shoddiness. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah ...traditional OR not, Lara Su Still looks pretty uncanny valley there, it doesn't look like An organic comic page but more like a poetry with some random drawings arround it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/19/2019 at 7:57 PM, Heckboy said:

I've actually always wondered what the Land of a Million Lights is supposed to be.

It was initially gonna end up being the assigned location of the Battlebird Armada under Mr. Flynn.

But unfortunately, it never got used.

• Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

"CyberDark".

Now that sounds very CyberDANK. I would have gone with "The Cyber Punks" myself but I guess a name that goofy goes against the super sophisticated naming convention of Dr. Evil Bad and his legion of doom.

You know, if they wanted to remain inconspicuous, they should have just called themselves "CyberFun". ☺️

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Since this topic finally came back to me, has Ken said anything stupid?

other then implying Paramount took inspiration from his art for the Sonic movie, still talking about how he won the case against Archie, and ignoring people critizing his recent previewed work of TLC so nothing new.

16 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Since this topic finally came back to me, has Ken said anything stupid?

...too easy.

• Chuckle 4

Yep. Could have died a happy guy never, ever knowing this had even crossed Penders' mind even once, buuut hey, that would mean having expectations of basic decency for him, and we all know how futile THAT one is. No really, it's a wonderful feeling to have, that with each revelation of how this guy's brain works the more and more I find myself regretting. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

Just as a reminder, based on ages Ken himself gave during the book's run, Sally would have been 16, while Geoffrey would have been 22.

Please

End me. What the flying hedgehog am I reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Just as a reminder, based on ages Ken himself gave during the book's run, Sally would have been 16, while Geoffrey would have been 22.

Why? Why did he feel the need to share this with everyone? 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Please

End me. What the flying hedgehog am I reading.

I"m aware you aren't too fond of the Archie comics. Think, during all that time he was writing the characters you like from the games poorly, or sometimes not even at all to focus on the archie cast. This is the type of shit he was thinking about doing with them

I have never been more appreciative of Ian flynn than right now

its obvious that Ken has been reading J.K Rowling's Twitter and wants to add in secret sex info into his stories. Though, the Sonic is in a different world to us, so it must be ok for them, I imagine a deluded Ken would say.

• Absolutely 7

Justifying your character being the one to do something significant no matter what it is.