Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Yeah, with all the time he spends on twitter and his forums, how much actual work has Ken put into this thing? Even now he's still, ahem, 'discovering' elements of his story. Most people by now would have gotten much farther than I imagine he has, even if they worked by themselves like he is.

I think by this point he's more concerned with the appearance of making progress than actually doing any work. Either that or he overestimates himself by a catastrophically high margin; some weeks ago he promised more pages for The Storm, and so far, we've gotten squat. He initially promised that this would be 'coming soon in 2012', and first announced this in late 2011. If he HAS been making any progress, it has been at a slug's pace, and he has no real ability to gauge how quickly he can get things done... which is rather sad given how many corners he cuts with his art to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

hey guys... i don't know if you noticed this before.... (maybe yes.. but since this topic lost many posts .. maybe is not bad to post this again...)

remember this page?

http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://kenpenders.com/lara-su_chronicles/Storm_Pg1.jpg

now.. i really don't know if someone noticed this before..

knux_is_there_by_drawloverlala-d8ma8c2.p

but that's the same KNUCKLES picture from Mobius 25 years later.... (correct me if 'm wrong with something please)

dunno.. but can he do that? i mean .. it is legal to do that?

Edited by Drawloverlala

Yes, it is the exact same image of Future Knux and if Penders said,  this comic is different from the Archie Comics except it is, I say yeah, it's kind of illegal but hey, Penders does whatever the fuck he wants, Penders don't give a shit about creativity.

Oh, everyone remembers that page and it's obvious copy-and-pasted Knuckles very well. And yes, I do believe it is illegal. But you know Kenny-boy, all 'well I designed Future!Knuckles, therefore he is my own original character and totally not just an older version of Sega's character!' I suspect the only reason Sega hasn't issued a cease-or-desist against the use of Knuckles is because they don't feel any threat from the comic. The book isn't out so no money is being made from it. And even if it was, the profits would likely be too minimal for them to care much. I mean, honestly, the cover alone is going to turn people away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, everyone remembers that page and it's obvious copy-and-pasted Knuckles very well. And yes, I do believe it is illegal. But you know Kenny-boy, all 'well I designed Future!Knuckles, therefore he is my own original character and totally not just an older version of Sega's character!' I suspect the only reason Sega hasn't issued a cease-or-desist against the use of Knuckles is because they don't feel any threat from the comic. The book isn't out so no money is being made from it. And even if it was, the profits would likely be too minimal for them to care much. I mean, honestly, the cover alone is going to turn people away.

That, and he hasn't attempted to profit from The Storm, even if it is connected to what he claims to be an eventual for-profit work. Until he actually tries to sell recycled artwork in his book, he isn't doing anything asides from showcasing his laziness and making a fool of himself. Even those insipid (and unsold) phone cases skirt the line given how flagrantly similar the Praetorian is to Knuckles, but those technically do not violate copyright (VERY technically). 

According to Ken, it's okay, because he drew that particular image.

Yeah, that's totally how that works alright. 

• Thumbs Up 2

According to Ken, it's okay, because he drew that particular image.

Yeah, that's totally how that works alright.

By that logic, I own this post since I made it.

kirby1up: Don't know what's gone down with that. But I love the hypocrisy present. According to Penders, when Bioware brings in echidna characters of their own, they are ripping of his 'original' creations. Yet Kenny is perfectly entitled to claiming obvious Future!Knuckles is his own unique character. Ha, don't make me laugh, Kenny-boy.

• Thumbs Up 5

question I forget did the copyright issue about sonic chronicles:dark brotherhood get disputed yet?

Last I checked, Penders's case against SEGA and EA (who now own Bioware) was dismissed, the main reason being that he couldn't collect damages due to how old the game was (and the fact that it was out of print) by the time he even went after SEGA (which I believe was about two or three years after the game had come out). Unfortunately, due to the hassles with Archie and everything, this did have the effect of SEGA choosing to no longer using material created for Chronicles in future games or letting Archie use them, most likely just to keep Penders quiet. We'll ignore the brief moment this idiot tried to go after SEGA for Mega Collection too, which was even older and that particular package, on any platform, hasn't been available for a long time when he tried to make a case.

This is a little simplified, but this is the gist from what I remember regarding it. If somebody wants to fill in some holes, feel free.

Of course, why Penders thinks it's OK to try to lift Knuckles for this schlock, but it wasn't OK for Bioware to create characters inspired by, but are still largely, if not completely different from his characters, is beyond me. It just shows he's a hypocritical jackass that doesn't give a shit about creators' rights.

He also claimed that he would go to the Supreme Court with his case, but that was years back and nothing seems to have come from it. For all his grandstanding about the case, his 'victory' wasn't really as clear cut as he likes to present it, and from what I heard, even his ownership of the stuff he made from the comic ultimately hinges on Archie and SEGA being unwilling to really press him about it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

kinda hoping somewere down the line archie will do the dark brotherhood story and at least give a proper ending to that cliffhanger moment at the end of the game

Last I checked, Penders's case against SEGA and EA (who now own Bioware) was dismissed, the main reason being that he couldn't collect damages due to how old the game was (and the fact that it was out of print) by the time he even went after SEGA (which I believe was about two or three years after the game had come out). Unfortunately, due to the hassles with Archie and everything, this did have the effect of SEGA choosing to no longer using material created for Chronicles in future games or letting Archie use them, most likely just to keep Penders quiet. We'll ignore the brief moment this idiot tried to go after SEGA for Mega Collection too, which was even older and that particular package, on any platform, hasn't been available for a long time when he tried to make a case.

This is a little simplified, but this is the gist from what I remember regarding it. If somebody wants to fill in some holes, feel free.

Of course, why Penders thinks it's OK to try to lift Knuckles for this schlock, but it wasn't OK for Bioware to create characters inspired by, but are still largely, if not completely different from his characters, is beyond me. It just shows he's a hypocritical jackass that doesn't give a shit about creators' rights.

If Ken Penders had a TVTropes page, the "It's All About Me" section of the tropes would have more paragraphs than a useful notes page.

I'm actually surprised Penders doesn't have a tropes page all to himself! XP There should at least be one for TLSC or The Lost Ones, but I guess not enough information about these two creations of his does not warrant a Tv Tropes page. Maybe one day...

I'm actually surprised Penders doesn't have a tropes page all to himself! XP There should at least be one for TLSC or The Lost Ones, but I guess not enough information about these two creations of his does not warrant a Tv Tropes page. Maybe one day...

He does in fact have a tropes page. However, due to site rules, nothing really interesting or scathing can be put onto it, despite how much evidence there is to back up every last thing that could be said about him. I myself once said that, back when the 'Small Name, Big Ego' page accepted Real Life examples, he would have been the chosen image for the trope. 

...I must go find this.

EDIT: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/KenPenders

Found it :D...lot shorter than I expected though.

Well really, what do you expect? It's against the policy of the site to give him the kind of page he deserves, given that TVtropes is not meant for that kind of grudge wankery (at least in theory). Trust me, if I could, *I* would do the write up and trope listing myself, but unless something drastic happens, THIS will have to suffice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think now is a good time to mention this. Streaking Pasha's, the horse things Penders made people ride like 4 times, they look an awful lot like something out of Thundarr the Barbarian.

There are like six tropes in the page history. Surprisingly, only one of them's really negative, but they were all deleted because 

All of these are about him, not his work. This is not allowed.

"Oh, we made a page titled 'Ken Penders' and then people put down tropes on Ken Penders, who'd ever have guessed?!"

I think now is a good time to mention this. Streaking Pasha's, the horse things Penders made people ride like 4 times, they look an awful lot like something out of Thundarr the Barbarian.

Sem_T%C3%ADtulo-1.jpg

Ookla_in_a_Equort_1.jpg

Dammit Penders. 

There are like six tropes in the page history. Surprisingly, only one of them's really negative, but they were all deleted because 

"Oh, we made a page titled 'Ken Penders' and then people put down tropes on Ken Penders, who'd ever have guessed?!"

Yeah, like I said... there's not much that can really be done to spice the page up. His being an asshole is just too intertwined into him, and yet referencing his asshole nature and actions would be viewed as a personal attack. Le sigh. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, let's not use that TV Tropes page to basically insult the guy, please? Besides it being against the rules there (drama importation, no work/creator kvetching/bashing), it'd just be really tacky and hypocritical.

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly there is a difference in colour, the tail is thinner and its missing its ever so slight horn. That means its a totally original and not at all copied or inspired by this other animal, in fact Penders has probably never heard or seen Thundaar before which also excuses him, therefor he has every right to make iPhone cases out of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, let's not use that TV Tropes page to basically insult the guy, please? Besides it being against the rules there (drama importation, no work/creator kvetching/bashing), it'd just be really tacky and hypocritical.

Eh we're not dumb enough to do that. We already insult him enough here as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ian say Sega was cool with him using the Chronicles material?

Even so, though, Penders may still sue, so Ian's not using the characters anyways.

hey guys... i don't know if you noticed this before.... (maybe yes.. but since this topic lost many posts .. maybe is not bad to post this again...)

remember this page?

http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://kenpenders.com/lara-su_chronicles/Storm_Pg1.jpg

now.. i really don't know if someone noticed this before..

knux_is_there_by_drawloverlala-d8ma8c2.p

but that's the same KNUCKLES picture from Mobius 25 years later.... (correct me if 'm wrong with something please)

dunno.. but can he do that? i mean .. it is legal to do that?

Seen it. Been there. Did that.

But can't ignore it.

I think it's illegal to do that, well you can't claim the character (Knuckles belongs to SEGA).

Plus, it's photoshopped.

• Thumbs Up 1