Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Seen it. Been there. Did that.

But can't ignore it.

I think it's illegal to do that, well you can't claim the character (Knuckles belongs to SEGA).

Plus, it's photoshopped.

Unless he actually tries to make a profit from it, nothing can really be done, sleazy, shoddy and wretched of him as it is. 

And yeah, Penders seems to hold the odd view that photoshopping stuff like that is A-Okay. That radar is from google, as are the backgrounds. To say nothing of the fact that it looks like St. John's head was separately drawn from his body and then MOVED there, or the bad lighting, or the cheap vector graphics, or...

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ian say Sega was cool with him using the Chronicles material?

Even so, though, Penders may still sue, so Ian's not using the characters anyways.

if that's so.. i think its very valid he taking that precaution :D  besides.. even for SEGA is like that game never happend..

Unless he actually tries to make a profit from it, nothing can really be done, sleazy, shoddy and wretched of him as it is. 

And yeah, Penders seems to hold the odd view that photoshopping stuff like that is A-Okay. That radar is from google, as are the backgrounds. To say nothing of the fact that it looks like St. John's head was separately drawn from his body and then MOVED there, or the bad lighting, or the cheap vector graphics, or...

...Or the fact that Brownie's tail was photoshopped too.

Anywho, did anyone see this yet? :https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577574627687301120

I... don't know what NSA is.

There is so much wrong with that panel, that to describe and dissect it would make any post here look like an essay for school. =P

But the biggest problem, and the only one that I have a major grudge with, is definitely that image of 25YL!Knuckles ripped straight from the Archie comic. I mean, wow. It's like he's not even trying to hide the fact that Praetorian is in fact Knuckles the echidna, a character owned by Sega. Oh no wait! Apparently this version is owned by Pendurrs because he's SO original and totally not like that Sega creation even though he looks identical besides the OVA hat, cyborg eye and suit. Really, if he sells this comic (especially on Comixology!) with those pictures in tact I expect a C&D straight up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anywho, did anyone see this yet? :https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/577574627687301120

The National Security Agency is an agency (duh) in the US Government which got into huge controversy after it was outed by a certain dude that they were peering into US citizen's internet activities without any notification of them doing so. There's constant debates on to whether or not what they are doing is even legal.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NSA is the National Security Agency, a United States Intelligence agency that is responsible for gathering and collecting intel all across the world, and as you can expect are a rather shady group. Recently they've come under fire for illegally spying on US allies (most prominently Germany) as well as US citzens at home, and are none too popular at home or abroad at the moment. Check Wikipedia for a more concrete overview, but basically, Ken is attempting to seem relevant by comparing his Brotherhood to the NSA, not seeming to grasp that people less than fond of the NSA precisely FOR the intrusive spying, much like readers were a little less than comfortable with the Brotherhood having cameras everywhere. 

It's weird really. He tries to play the Brotherhood off like a 'shade of grey' type scenario, but defends their actions vocally and refuses to hear criticism of them whenever it comes up. This comparison isn't even all THAT apt given that the NSA is under the command and control of the US Government, while the Brotherhood by and large isn't under similar oversight. 

In short? He's just trying to seem deep, and failing. Miserably. 

EDIT: Ninja'd, darnit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There is so much wrong with that panel, that to describe and dissect it would make any post here look like an essay for school. =P

But the biggest problem, and the only one that I have a major grudge with, is definitely that image of 25YL!Knuckles ripped straight from the Archie comic. I mean, wow. It's like he's not even trying to hide the fact that Praetorian is in fact Knuckles the echidna, a character owned by Sega. Oh no wait! Apparently this version is owned by Pendurrs because he's SO original and totally not like that Sega creation even though he looks identical besides the OVA hat, cyborg eye and suit. Really, if he sells this comic (especially on Comixology!) with those pictures in tact I expect a C&D straight up.

Wait, what about the LSC App? (Yes there is an app, mentioned by Penders, [i think. It got wiped out by the SSMBsplosion] It's not even there yet) To have readers read the comic via phone... is he trying to escape the suing thing by selling there or...?

(I'm gonna get ninja'd for this).

The National Security Agency is an agency (duh) in the US Government which got into huge controversy after it was outed by a certain dude that they were peering into US citizen's internet activities without any notification of them doing so. There's constant debates on to whether or not what they are doing is even legal.

That certain dude, was Edward Snowden. Just sayin. Thanks though.

Wait, what about the LSC App? (Yes there is an app, mentioned by Penders, [i think. It got wiped out by the SSMBsplosion] It's not even there yet) To have readers read the comic via phone... is he trying to escape the suing thing by selling there or...?

(I'm gonna get ninja'd for this).

Nah, that's less him trying to find a way around it and more him doing something he is very prone to; counting his chickens before they hatch. He's diving into things like apps and phone cases and tie in products and the like even before he has his book out, all the while talking about the film and television possibilities, even claiming to have found a 'professional voice actor' for Lara-Su. He has a pattern of this; back when he was trying to hawk his original series, The Lost Ones, he'd go on and on about film deals and crap, even making a god awful trailer, when there was nothing out save for a single failed issue. 

It's been noted that Penders doesn't really seem to respect the medium of comics, and see's them more as a vehicle for more lucrative ventures like film... which, given that he seems obsessed with every aspect of his work except the comic itself, seems to fit him pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought the app was supposed to be the comic. Like, he planned for this thing where you'd pay for it like an online book and could change the language and have voice acting with the thing. I'll need to look for where I saw that. 

I thought of something before going to work today.

If Ken wanted to be in TV and movies so bad, why didn't he try writing for soap operas? He's proven he's more interested in writing those, and given how poor quality soaps tend to be, they'd probably take anything.

I thought of something before going to work today.

If Ken wanted to be in TV and movies so bad, why didn't he try writing for soap operas? He's proven he's more interested in writing those, and given how poor quality soaps tend to be, they'd probably take anything.

He wants to be known as some kind of teller of epic science fiction and adventure tales. He wants to be known as someone with their hand on the pulse of politics and social commentary. Add to the fact that he is utterly unwilling to see any fault in his writing and his general asinine stubborness, he'd never be able to see how suited for Soap Operas he really is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

...Has Ken ever written something that was intentionally comedic without it being related in some way to his GREAT MASTER PLAN OF LARA-SU PRAETORIAN KNUCKLES SANIC that wasn't with a co-writer like Kanterovich?

Like... everything he did had to be overly (melo)dramatic and serious. And I know he's taken pisstakes on the comedic earlier issues and their writers.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought there were some jokes (bad jokes) in 25 Years Later. And there was apparently a joke that accidently got left out of it, which Retro talks about in a review, down towards the bottom.

Or does that count as being Lara-Su related? 

He's made attempts at being funny... I think, but I'm pretty sure they fell flat. Stuff like the Image crossover is him thinking he's a lot more clever or funny than he really is (Wolf Sculder? Lana Mully? Copyright breaking cameos? Fuck off.). I'm sure there's others, but I'm willing to bet any reasonable decent jokes during his early issues can be owed to Kanterovich, who Penders admitted had a better handle on humor if I remember.

...Has Ken ever written something that was intentionally comedic without it being related in some way to his GREAT MASTER PLAN OF LARA-SU PRAETORIAN KNUCKLES SANIC that wasn't with a co-writer like Kanterovich?

Like... everything he did had to be overly (melo)dramatic and serious. And I know he's taken pisstakes on the comedic earlier issues and their writers.

I... THINK there was a... thing that he thinks of as a joke in 'Brave New World', where Sonic and Geoff are fighting and broken apart by being hosed down, and Geof quips 'and it isn't even Saturday night!'

It's a less than stellar joke. And the only one of his I can remember clearly. 

Edit: 

I thought there were some jokes (bad jokes) in 25 Years Later. And there was apparently a joke that accidently got left out of it, which Retro talks about in a review, down towards the bottom.

Or does that count as being Lara-Su related? 

Probably does, but it must be said... Jesus Christ, that joke is grody as hell.

If there were any jokes to be found in 25YL, they weren't very funny. That thing was so ridiculously boring I barely remember any of it outside of Ian's final two chapters.

I should clarify a bit. I know that Kenders occasionally peppers in "jokes" some of his work, like the aforementioned 25YL "King Sanic is as mature as his teen kids" and "I am an echidna of the people". I wouldn't count blatant parodies, as Zaysho has mentioned, like the X-Files leads in Parallel Paradigm (since he outright dedicated that story to Carter* instead of Valentino or anyone at Image or Archie) or the Knuckles series with it's inexplicable Rugrats cameo or it's incessant need to leach off other properties like Star Wars landspeeders or Superman mythos.

What I mean was a story where a large part of it is comedic or at least lighthearted. Take Treasure Team Tango, where a large part of the story is the humor derived from Team Hooligan, Team Dark & Team Rose (with Blaze instead of Big) interacting with each other while they try to recover the Sol Emerald. There's the stakes where Blaze's world is doomed unless they get it back, but it can be seen as a fun romp** with some nice action in it at least.

Has Ken ever done something like that? Like ever? Even I kinda find it hard to believe he hasn't at least once. But it always seems that he has to make things "dark" and "dramatic"***. Hell, his freaking Sonic movie pitch was titled "Sonic Armeggedon" and would feature Snively doing half-Robian vivisection and the planet blowing up. 25YL was half boring ass slice-of-life drivel with doomsdsay encroachment because Sonic isn't as good as Knuckles when it comes to saving the world.

*Fitting since Carter pretty much outright admitted to coming up with his series on the fly, which is why they started to tank.

**Save for perhaps Rouge, since I know that there were quite a few people who couldn't stand her preboot

***And this is coming from someone who's been a regular DC comic reader for the last 9 years or so, and couldn't stand the toxic atmosphere of scans_daily which LIVED for the publisher's more lighter stuff and more or less considered the company to have stopped their output when David's Young Justice got cancelled and folded into Teen Titans.

• Thumbs Up 4

or the Knuckles series with it's inexplicable Rugrats cameo 

...The Knuckles series had a Rugrats cameo?  :blink:

Yep, in #13, which started off the "Black Stereotype & Corrupt Park Owner Makes People Overdose on LSD" plotline.

16.jpg

Tho THAT was probably just Manny Galan getting ready to leave for Nickelodeon and being cute. BTW, Galan's leaving was another one of Ken's excuses for the Knuckles series tanking in quality, it wasn't his fault that he came up with stories like the Brotherhood refusing to help the world in the face of the Second Robotnik War or Kraven the Hunter trying to kill Knuckles and his former bully that his father & ancestors tried to kill despite him being a kid.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Knuckles minicomic tanked because it wasn't a story, as much as it was a bunch of random shit happening to poor Knuckles, who has no agency what-so-ever to do anything about the veritable fever dream of events that are occurring to him.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm always weirded out seeing old Archie art that forgets that Espio's horn is meant to be his nose.  Not literally a nose, but that's the role it's meant to serve on his face in relation to other Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I should clarify a bit. I know that Kenders occasionally peppers in "jokes" some of his work, like the aforementioned 25YL "King Sanic is as mature as his teen kids" and "I am an echidna of the people". I wouldn't count blatant parodies, as Zaysho has mentioned, like the X-Files leads in Parallel Paradigm (since he outright dedicated that story to Carter* instead of Valentino or anyone at Image or Archie) or the Knuckles series with it's inexplicable Rugrats cameo or it's incessant need to leach off other properties like Star Wars landspeeders or Superman mythos.

On a slight sidenote, he blamed the artists for the Star Wars stuff and abjectly refused to acknowledge any similarities between his own work and Superman, despite how blatant some of the 'homages' are. Oh yeah, and he had a Klingon Bird-of-Prey out and out copied for the Dark Legion. Wasn't THAT magical.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's funny that I've only noticed now how Knuckles has had a lot of bad shit happen to him in the comics. He was fried with radioactivity as an egg, his father was an asshole, he became Chaos Knuckles, then died, only to be brought back to life again with no powers! Dayum, and I don't even think that scratches the surface.

Also, wasn't it because of Sonic that Knuckles lost his eye in 25YL? =[

• Thumbs Up 3

It's funny that I've only noticed now how Knuckles has had a lot of bad shit happen to him in the comics. He was fried with radioactivity as an egg, his father was an asshole, he became Chaos Knuckles, then died, only to be brought back to life again with no powers! Dayum, and I don't even think that scratches the surface.

Also, wasn't it because of Sonic that Knuckles lost his eye in 25YL? =[

Sorta. Knuckles had managed to go all 'Chaos God' again and destroyed Eggman (rather than, say, Sonic... who is Eggman's Archenemy and the titular hero of the book), and then began to reshape the planet. Sonic put an end to that, and it cost Knuckles his eye. 

So yeah, basically a really boring version of the Enerjak Reborn arc. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It always narked me that that was how Eggman met his end (thank god for the establishment of Light Mobius) and it only narks me more that it was another blatant bit of writing that showcases what ken thought of Sonic and Eggman.  Characters he just didn't want to write about and only wrote them because it was mandatory (though he really tried at burying Eggman once and for all).  Frankly the guy was involved with the wrong comic if he felt that from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 1