Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

...Um. What the hell. That's... Not...

...?

He's... He's playing basketball... And... What the hell are legs? What was this even? Why?

Aand speaking of the twerp.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/579776149888303104

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/579776764668350464

More in the category of 'That's not what the guy fucking asked, Penders'! 

Also, Echyd'nyea are more eco-consciouss or whatever. I wondered how long it would be until he went into 'that' area of things. 

I wonder where in the run this would've been? It reminds me an awful lot of an early cover where Sonic blew past several superheroes (with a caption saying he leaves the competition in the dust). It seems he sent it to Scott Fulop, so it must've been around the second year of the book or so, so, yeah, I'd believe it'd fit right in... provided it was drawn by Manak. I do have to laugh that the cover would've used a photo, though I wonder if it was meant as a note to find reference...? Oh right, Penders.

Also, Echyd'nyea are more eco-consciouss or whatever. I wondered how long it would be until he went into 'that' area of things.

Geez, I can only imagine. I've heard numerous things about Archie's TMNT series' head writer (Steven Murphy) being a big environmental dude and had a tendency to beat readers over the head with his messages. I imagine it being around there, but with lots of HARD SCIENCE thrown in.

Eh, it's weird but it would make sense during that period when Archie Sonic was more like the Sonic Boom comics of today. I'm glad they didn't go for it though. XP

Aand speaking of the twerp.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/579776149888303104

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/579776764668350464

More in the category of 'That's not what the guy fucking asked, Penders'! 

"Floating islands are a staple of science fiction"? I'm not going to claim to know very much about the genre, is that even remotely true? I mean, I think "science fiction", I think more spaceships, lasers, and aliens than floating islands. I think I'd file those away more in the fantasy genre, and even then, not as a staple. 

And I'm severely confused how the echidnas are going to be more eco-conscious than Floating Island. As far as I remember, that place was pretty much completely natural. Whatever tweaks the comic made to it I presume came from Penders. So shouldn't this already be shown? 

Oh yes, because that makes sense. "Because a floating island was featured in some other Science Fiction stories clearly means I need to have mine be featured on a floating island." That's so fucking stupid. We all know the only reason this is set on a floating island is because, and I'll reference South Park here.

SONIC DID IT. SONIC DID IT.

There is absolutely no other reason why, and ever since he's got his grubby mitts on the Knuckles series, he's been using a floating island picture ever since for his crappy production company (I use the term "Production Company" very very very lightly.

Geez, I can only imagine. I've heard numerous things about Archie's TMNT series' head writer (Steven Murphy) being a big environmental dude and had a tendency to beat readers over the head with his messages. I imagine it being around there, but with lots more HARD SCIENCE to it.

Steven Murphy could at least write when he wasn't on the environmental kick. Penders more likely will come out of nowhere, be rambling, detract from the story, and most of all be incredibly dull. It'll just be awkward and eye rolling all around. 

"Floating islands are a staple of science fiction"? I'm not going to claim to know very much about the genre, is that even remotely true? I mean, I think "science fiction", I think more spaceships, lasers, and aliens than floating islands. I think I'd file those away more in the fantasy genre, and even then, not as a staple. 

And I'm severely confused how the echidnas are going to be more eco-conscious than Floating Island. As far as I remember, that place was pretty much completely natural. Whatever tweaks the comic made to it I presume came from Penders. So shouldn't this already be shown? 

Floating Islands tend to show up more in fantasy works than science fiction, but they're not unheard of there either. Most recently, James Cameron's Avatar made use of the floating landmass bit as a major plot point... but to call them a 'staple' of the genre is kind of pushing it. Lasers are a staple, aliens are a staple, space ships are a staple, Floating Islands... just show up every now and again.

And I think he means more eco-conscious compared to humans, in terms of their civilization. Given the luddite phase and his Star Trek fanboying, I'm just getting flashbacks to the Baku from Star Trek: Insurrection. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Floating Islands tend to show up more in fantasy works than science fiction, but they're not unheard of there either. Most recently, James Cameron's Avatar made use of the floating landmass bit as a major plot point... but to call them a 'staple' of the genre is kind of pushing it. Lasers are a staple, aliens are a staple, space ships are a staple, Floating Islands... just show up every now and again.

i was about to mention that! :D

and you know.. that character of Penders... that capitan..(i forgot the name of that character) i think its like a Jake Sully :D hahah

also the Navi are eco-conscious people..

Edited by Drawloverlala

Steven Murphy could at least write when he wasn't on the environmental kick. Penders more likely will come out of nowhere, be rambling, detract from the story, and most of all be incredibly dull. It'll just be awkward and eye rolling all around.

Oh, for sure. Evidently it was when he needed to jump on a soapbox that things got... weird. Bear in mind I'm going off what I heard, and the handful of Murphy stories I did read were in Mirage and he didn't do the environmental soapboxing as frequently (or if he did, he was fairly subtle with it compared to his work at Archie) in those earlier days. Though, regardless, he could write a decent story.

I certainly wouldn't compare the guy to Penders, it's just the thought of Penders tackling this subject (and if what you said about the Lost Ones is anything to go by, he will fail miserably and hilariously) just makes me think of something similar, but with worse lipservice and far more obnoxious soapboxing Penders is known for.

Oh, for sure. Evidently it was when he needed to jump on a soapbox that things got... weird. Bear in mind I'm going off what I heard, and the handful of Murphy stories I did read were in Mirage and he didn't do the environmental soapboxing as frequently (or if he did, he was fairly subtle with it compared to his work at Archie) in those earlier days. Though, regardless, he could write a decent story.

I certainly wouldn't compare the guy to Penders, it's just the thought of Penders tackling this subject (and if what you said about the Lost Ones is anything to go by, he will fail miserably and hilariously) just makes me think of something similar, but with worse lipservice and far more obnoxious soapboxing Penders is known for.

Words really don't begin to describe it. 

Look at this.

wlMFsqE.png

What the hell kind of 'THIS IS THE FUTURE' bit is that? 

And yet ANOTHER photographed background. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Penders is becoming rather synonymous with the word "lazy".

The summary is pretentious as all get out. At least, unlike other bad fanfiction writers, he doesn't have a laundry list of all the pairings he has, with the disclaimer of "Don't like, don't read".

"...where there are only two kinds of people -- those that matter -- and everyone else!

Or, to put it another way, there's THE LOST ONES -- and then there's you!"

So, like, the President doesn't matter, the Queen of England doesn't matter, literally no one matters but THE LOST ONES.

Well, then.

• Thumbs Up 1

So fast internet and revolutionized travel are supposed to be dystopian?

Was that snippet from the actual book?

Yes. Yes it was. Straight from it. I shit you not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So fast internet and revolutionized travel are supposed to be dystopian?

I thought he was trying to make it sound cool and just had absolutely nothing to work with.

Isn't this book supposed to be able the kids of the kids of Hiroshima victims? That was 1945. It should be set (assuming each of them had kids in their early twenties) like, ten years at the most from when Ken was writing this. Does that really need a "OMG future is cool!" thing? 

(Sorry if I'm wrong, it's really hard to figure this all out when googling it gives you literally nothing.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Words really don't begin to describe it. 

Look at this.

wlMFsqE.png

What the hell kind of 'THIS IS THE FUTURE' bit is that? 

And yet ANOTHER photographed background.

Truly, Ken Penders is a visionary.

Just, wow. Actually I find this kind of funny. "... where there are only two kinds of people--those that matter--and everyone else! Or, to put it another way, there's THE LOST ONES-- and then there's you!" Am I reading too much into this, but does this wording sound like he's telling readers they don't matter?

I thought he was trying to make it sound cool and just had absolutely nothing to work with.

Isn't this book supposed to be able the kids of the kids of Hiroshima victims? That was 1945. It should be set (assuming each of them had kids in their early twenties) like, ten years at the most from when Ken was writing this. Does that really need a "OMG future is cool!" thing? 

(Sorry if I'm wrong, it's really hard to figure this all out when googling it gives you literally nothing.)

It is precisely about that; that the descendants of the Hiroshima survivors developed powers. No, we do not get an explanation for why they're called 'The Lost Ones' or any hint of why the Bad Guy (Dr. Droid) is after them. And no, none of this 'future' stuff really comes into play either. This book literally just looks and feels like the year 2000. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a terribly cliche neckbeard sci-fi synopsis for ya right there lol.

Still, I don't think it's as offensive as the plot being about flipping descendants of Hiroshima atom bomb survivors gaining superpowers. ><

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I reading too much into this, but does this wording sound like he's telling readers they don't matter?

That's precisely how I read it. It's really condescending.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now more then ever I want this bastard to crash and burn, I want this whole fucking project to burn into nothing and him be pennyless.

Because thats the only way this idiot is ever going to learn anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

So when did they change the X-Men origin from 'Children of the Atom' who gained their powers from the altered atmosphere after the first atom bomb tests (or something) to 'its a evolutionary gene that some have, which is why an ancient pre-Egyptian like Apocalypse is one'.

I'm sure it was changed for a reason.

And apparently the descendants of Japanese victims, as pointed out earlier, are all just in America, presumably because of a Highlander-esque Gathering because Ken Penders is too lazy to actually study Japanese culture & geography.

• Thumbs Up 1

So when did they change the X-Men origin from 'Children of the Atom' who gained their powers from the altered atmosphere after the first atom bomb tests (or something) to 'its a evolutionary gene that some have, which is why an ancient pre-Egyptian like Apocalypse is one'.

I'm sure it was changed for a reason.

And apparently the descendants of Japanese victims, as pointed out earlier, are all just in America, presumably because of a Highlander-esque Gathering because Ken Penders is too lazy to actually study Japanese culture & geography.

I think it was altered once the Atomic Age began to fade and genetics became better understood and more into the public eye... realizing that radiation doesn't do anything except make you die horribly kinda puts a damper on using it as an explanation for strange and fantastic things. 

And yeah. I also cannot honestly recall if at any point the Nagasaki bombing factors into this at all either... it feel's like it'd be awfully in character for Penders to put all his focus on the more 'famous' Hiroshima bombing rather than examine the full implications of an atom bombing giving people powers would entail. In fact, by this logic, those unfortunate people who got radiation poisoning from the tests should have had super offspring as well... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't remember, did Penders ever release a Not-Sonic picture yet?