Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Same here. =X I can see why Sega wouldn't want to go to court again and waste resources like VEDJ-F said, but I just can't believe how hypocritical he is when he creates a character like the Praetorian and goes around saying "Oh no, it's MY version of Knuckles therefore it is MY character." Once Pendurrs finally releases the comic and even gets it on to Comixology of all places, then you can bet he's going to be stopped. At least I'd hope so, especially with all the very obvious Archie Sonic designs and that 25YL Knuckles image ripped straight from the comics. Yuck.

He's already trying to claim that Future Knuckles is his character. He keeps attempting to claim that he owns Knuckles' future design because it appeared in a story he wrote (Not drew mind you, just wrote), then he's attempting to use a case where an alternate universe version of Spawn was claimed as a original character, despite the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with that character, and this isn't a different version of Knuckles, just Knuckles in the future. 

In short, it's fucking downright idiotic what he's trying to claim.

So should Ken laying claim to characters literally called 'Evil Sonic' and 'Robo-Robotnik.' 

And in other news, we have a bit more ego-stroking from Penders. 

Yes Ken. It's really quite the accomplishment that a book you wrote during the very peak of Sonic's popularity managed to sell well. Truly, we are wrong to deny you your skills. This makes me re-assess everything I have thought about you, and the likes of Stephanie Meyers and Christopher Paolini; sales prove skill, and so, you and those others named I will now view as the Godly figures you oh so deserve to be. 

Because of course it couldn't be due to the fact that Sonic was at the height of his popularity by this stage, with Sonic 1 & 2 already out and Sonic 3, and CD on the way. He does realize that no one would have a clue who the fuck Penders is so no one would have any reason to buy the issue specifically for his writing. 

Penders is such an idiot.

• Thumbs Up 1

That or the public evisceration he'll receive from actual critics for trying to ply such an inferior product. Here's hoping he makes a spectacle of himself. 

This whole thing seems so completely small and unknown I can barely imagine very many, if any, actual critics actually bothering, unless they review literally everything that comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I do miss the old continuity, I actually want TL-SC to see the light of day. I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Ken hasn't really proven he's interested in much beyond spending far too much time on Twitter to devote his energy to a deadline. So there's no reason to assume that he'll get the lead out and finish it at some point in my lifetime. I'm a young man, but his obsessive interest in pursuing online shenanigans may be far too powerful for him to overcome. I may never get the chance to read it. And even then, a judge could file an injunction on SEGA's behalf if Ken makes a big enough splash.

In any case, I just can't see this ending well for him. That isn't to say I'm chomping at the bit for an turbulent train wreck, but that result is essentially inevitable at this point. I just can't help but laugh at the idea of him going on about phone apps and a movie adaptation when the "graphic novel" hasn't even hit shelves yet. There's counting chicks before they hatch, and there's this baffling activity. Does Ken have no better use of his time than to argue with people who hate him over Marvel comics? Shouldn't he get to work at some point? TL-SC won't manifest on its own if Ken, as the bona fide "progressive" he is, spends all his time saying how awful it is for Thor to be a woman. 

It isn't so much that I demand to see a garish spectacle light up the night sky. But I want Ken to get in his dirigible and get this tragedy over with already. My popcorn is getting stale. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe I'm being a little zealous but I can't help but be a little wary of the assumption that Penders laying claim to what are essentially slightly edited official characters and winning sets a precedent for fans who make shitty fan characters being able to claim some monopoly over a character concept or something.

They wouldn't be successful anyway since the situation with Penders doesn't set a precedent for fans to do that sort of thing at all. He worked on an official product, which (rightfully, I'd argue, even if he's kind of a jerk) gives him some power over his concepts, even the ones that...aren't exactly original. But more importantly, I highly doubt any of the fans with recolours would try in the first place by virtue of being...well, actual fans of Sonic, which is a pretty big difference between them and Penders. Seriously, I get that adults in this fanbase have some weird vendetta against those (usually younger) fans, but the situation you're describing wouldn't happen no matter how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Indeed. Plus, Penders situation is further unique in that the only reason it ended the way it did was because Archie made the monumentally foolish decision of not re-drafting his and the others contracts after that fire and having them sign over that work. It was only thanks to an almost Darwin Awards tier level of stupidity that he was able to make any kind of progress on his case, and even then his 'victory' isn't as clear cut as he tries to sell it, given that he is ultimately depending on SEGA not really pursuing any claims. 

What happened with Penders sets no precedent other than serving as a lesson as to why you should always keep your paperwork in order. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Seriously, I get that adults in this fanbase have some weird vendetta against those (usually younger) fans, but the situation you're describing wouldn't happen no matter how you look at it.

I have no vendetta against the young'uns!! I just sit patiently waiting for my sweet sweet revenge. As you get older you tend to gain patience.

Sonic Boom was just a taste of that. After years of being told by the young ones to just "get over" Classic Sonic being gone, and "things change and move on" etc, it was pretty good seeing the Modern fans squabble, cry, kick and fuss back when there was the fear that Boom was the future of the main series. "They can't change Modern Sonic", "there's nothing wrong with him now", "I don't like this new one" they cried, and finally, we the fans that preferred Classic Sonic knew, it wasn't just us, most fans would decry the changing of the version of their favourite gaming hero that they preferred or grew up with, our vengeance was quelled, and all was well again.

*ahem* Anywho, where was I? I had a point...I think? Ah yes. Perhaps Sega is doing the same thing. Waiting, patiently, watching, for the time when Penders makes his move, for his works to be "established", at least in sales and distribution, before they make a move. Hopefully then we can all rest easy knowing true justice has been served.

I do wonder if that's SEGA's / Archie's plan. It'd be hilarious to watch, though I think it's kinda wishful thinking at the same time. It's just as likely that they just want to wash their hands of Penders and ignore him, particularly since they're probably just as aware as we are that LSC probably won't really be that successful anyway. Then again, they could be at least a little concerned about it in terms of brand image or something...

Lots of different ways this could go, I guess. :P

Quick question from anyone brave enough to enter the wasteland known as the Penders Forum: any new horror stories about BobR or the man himself?

Hell, does he even POST on his own forum anymore? Lately, all I've heard about him in the dumb sh*t he spews out on Twitter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick question from anyone brave enough to enter the wasteland known as the Penders Forum: any new horror stories about BobR or the man himself?

Hell, does he even POST on his own forum anymore? Lately, all I've heard about him in the dumb sh*t he spews out on Twitter.

Don't look at me. I've said all I'm gonna say, and have made a point to not go there anymore. So far I've resisted the temptation, and I intend to maintain this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

His forum gets like maybe one new post a week, more if something actually happened or someone came back after a while and has more than one thing to say, but in general there hasn't really been any opportunities for BobR to do anything. Ken's stopped posting most of the new Lara-Su stuff over there, too (though he did make a post with the comic page in it), which has stopped a lot of discussion and subsequently stopped a lot of his stupid claims.

Real shame, too, cause the arguments between him and the people on there are very entertaining. I should really try and see if I can log in, but I'm pretty sure my posts were deleted, so probably not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, hey! I literally do not remember that post. But, then, I hardly remember my time at FUS. I'm glad you weren't offended by it, at the very least. Though, I *do* recall having a rather... dim view of you, as it were. And, I was wrong and I deeply apologize for it. I'm also sorry that Penders left you in the dirt like that. You deserve better; I know what it's like to see someone you admire do you wrong like that. (I think I've posted elsewhere of the influence Penders' earlier stuff had on my life as a kid and why this whole mess had me particularly...bitter.)

Either way, I hope you can forgive my past actions. I echo horridus's words in saying thank you for sharing with us, and I also hope you're willing to stick around and share and chat more with us here. 

I remember having posted a link to your journal here to let people know what was going on. It's nice to see you post. I'm very sorry about all you've been through, but happy you're proceeding on successfully with your life.

I remember making a long post...that wound up having at least one error in it. I'm sure there's more in there as well. No, I have no doubt there's more. I was going off from memory, and I wasn't exactly in the mood to post too much.

I, too, didn't have the best perception of you. I just decided it was best to stay off that forum, especially with that error in mind.

I do apologize for making those errors, and however poorly I may have treated you.

Hey Paul, really strange to see you here, but interesting.

I can understand your past actions that, despite the fact it was partially motivated to get your foot in the door business-wise with Penders, you did want to overlook his flaws since he was a creator that you greatly respected. And I know how soul-crushing it can be when that creator can turn out to, essentially, be a bag of d*cks.

Sorry to hear that the Pendering, as we call it, and the new continuity has burned yourself out on the comics completely. I can recall seeing a good number of fans on the board deal with that in all the spectrums of grief, with some eventually hoping for the best, to others quitting in disgust, to others (like a certain, now banned ex-commentor coughJohnny2071cough)... not dealing with it well (said ex-commentor actually greatly implied the murder of Kenders himself at one point!!)

But, glad to hear that you are moving on with your life and are happy.

Thanks also for clearing up that screwed up 20YL thing. Can't believe he did that stupid f*cking "Z" for an actual published comic and no one (re:editor) called him out on it. And for implying that Julie was pregnant with a second child (who probably would've been miscarried due to Droid's invasion) and not it being Ken ignoring his own continuity (again).

• Thumbs Up 4

OKAY WAIT I APOLOGIZE FOR BREAKING THIS UP BUT I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING

So, like, the word part pend-, right? Pending, suspense, impending, suspend, etc.

Penders.

idk i mean it seemed to be worth mentioning forgive me it is 11:30 at night and i can't concentrate like at all

• Thumbs Up 5

In fairness, they are thumbnails/layouts.

I'm a little confused about that "Brave New World" thumbnail. According to the original credits, Spaz came up with the cover concept as well as doing the finished pencils. Does that mean the credits were wrong, then? Weird.

...couldn't hurt him to mention that Spaz would take these concepts and spin them into gold, though.

Wow.,I'm glad that you're doing well now man, but what a damn shame about Penders and all that. It must've been really tough for you..

And that comment about the little kid is so sad, because it shows that the intended target audience for Archie Sonic is also disappointed that half the cast from their favourite comic book got wiped out completely before and after the crossover. All because of one arrogant bastard.

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't seem to like admitting or mentioning that all his past works and ideas have been tossed from the comics. His current mentions via Twitter (as seen below) and even his write ups via those convention adverts all make it sound like his ideas are still being used.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/580185200119840768

Established locals? He can't be meaning in his new works, wouldn't it have to have been released to become "established". It's not established in the current Sonic comics either, maybe in the past they were considered as such. But the new universe scrapped all that. The only place you will find them now is in the Archives etc.

He doesn't seem to like admitting or mentioning that all his past works and ideas have been tossed from the comics. His current mentions via Twitter (as seen below) and even his write ups via those convention adverts all make it sound like his ideas are still being used.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/580185200119840768

Established locals? He can't be meaning in his new works, wouldn't it have to have been released to become "established". It's not established in the current Sonic comics either, maybe in the past they were considered as such. But the new universe scrapped all that. The only place you will find them now is in the Archives etc.

Ken has never been very consistent about where the fuck this is meant to stand, but ultimately he's trying to get away with as much as possible with regards to the 'continuity' of the comics... no matter what he says, he's never going to try and stop leeching off of Sonic.

And it's not so much that he acts like his stuff is still a thing in the comics... it's more like he's trying to convince people that they're still well remembered and liked and all that and that his contributions were worthwhile and iconic. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ken has never been very consistent about where the fuck this is meant to stand, but ultimately he's trying to get away with as much as possible with regards to the 'continuity' of the comics... no matter what he says, he's never going to try and stop leeching off of Sonic.

And it's not so much that he acts like his stuff is still a thing in the comics... it's more like he's trying to convince people that they're still well remembered and liked and all that and that his contributions were worthwhile and iconic.

Not to mention lots of "NYAHNYAH I CAN USE THESE AND ARCHIE CAN'T! PENDERS DOES WHAT ARCHIE DON'T!"

Speaking of, he uploaded his proposed layout for Sonic #47...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/581675565201027072

CBKG2AEUcAAfIp3.jpg

What the fuck even is this? Some take on the OJ Simpson trial? Cripes he must've hated Gallagher's trial of Sonic following Mecha Madness that he wanted to put Sonic back in the same position seven issues later.

So, uh, from what I can see, Antoine, Gangstershark, and Scaredyhorse are prosecuting Sonic the I-Don't-Have-A-Lawyer-Hog because someone got murdered?

I'm confused.

• Thumbs Up 3