Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Please tell me he wants to sell this as a patch. Then he can get sued by the Dodgers too XD 

I'm just wanting to hear what dumb f*cking explanation he wants to give for a design that looks like a "V" intersected with... what, a caracature of a cliff?

Or if it's like an alphabet, just what the hell it's short for.

Please tell me he wants to sell this as a patch. Then he can get sued by the Dodgers too XD 

That is the LA logo upside down isn't it? 

That is the LA logo upside down isn't it? 

That's what it looks like. Even worse, the color of the crest itself is eerily close to the background color of the logo in its normal form. 

I thought the island was an alien ship at first.

Not sure if he was going for that.

What if the reason Pender's hasn't' released it yet is maybe he knows it's going to suck and hopefully he'll cancel it and end this monstrosity. But he's not that smart, is he?

Okay I'd like to think I don't normally have a dirty mind, but all I can think when I look at that patch is "Why are the buildings wearing a pair of black underpants?". 

That and that the Echidna language looks more like random squibbles than a genuine language. Probably cause they are, but still, I shouldn't be thinking that looking at this. 

• Thumbs Up 3

My mind goes to two possibilities;

1. He knows this is probably going to end badly for him (either the conversation takes a mocking turn or he says something stupid) and tries to drop it as quickly as possible. 

2. He doesn't really know what echidna culture is, he's working it out as he goes along. 

I could be wrong, it's just what I assume. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My mind goes to two possibilities;

1. He knows this is probably going to end badly for him (either the conversation takes a mocking turn or he says something stupid) and tries to drop it as quickly as possible. 

2. He doesn't really know what echidna culture is, he's working it out as he goes along. 

I could be wrong, it's just what I assume. 

• Thumbs Up 1

...Did the Echidnas have any culture back when they were in the Sonic comic?

I know they were holier-than-thou isolationists assholes... but that was mainly the Brotherhood.

I know they had superscience in their past... but that was largely shamelessly ripped off from Superman's Krypton.

I know that they had the most advanced cities which was essentially human with a furry makeover... until you got into the Overlander ones and especially the Human ones post Adventure era.

And I know that in the future, the seat of World Government was put onto Angel Island... which was never explained why people thought that was a good idea other than the implication that it was because Knuckles killed Eggman (accidentally).

Ken's utopia never had a culture of it's own. At least Knothole/Acorn Kingdom had some idea of identity. It was stupid medival stasis yet with some tech and anvilicious green messages, but it was more than the echidnas had.

EDIT. Also forgot to mention: the modern echidnas in both Albion and Echidnopolis were supposedly anti-tech to give motivation for the technocratic Dark Legion. Yet as mentioned, they were some of the most advanced cities on the planet. Even the conflict Ken tried to set up didnt even make sense logically OR internally.

Edited by biznizz
  • Thumbs Up 6

That is one ugly patch, and if the text really is the upside down LA Dodgers logo than its not just ugly but vile. This guy just can't do ANYTHING original.

That is one ugly patch, and if the text really is the upside down LA Dodgers logo than its not just ugly but vile. This guy just can't do ANYTHING original. 

"Down The Drain". I love that title.

He was aware of the direction his career was gonna go 20 years ago

• Thumbs Up 5

...Did the Echidnas have any culture back when they were in the Sonic comic?

I know they were holier-than-thou isolationists assholes... but that was mainly the Brotherhood.

I know they had superscience in their past... but that was largely shamelessly ripped off from Superman's Krypton.

I know that they had the most advanced cities which was essentially human with a furry makeover... until you got into the Overlander ones and especially the Human ones post Adventure era.

And I know that in the future, the seat of World Government was put onto Angel Island... which was never explained why people thought that was a good idea other than the implication that it was because Knuckles killed Eggman (accidentally).

Ken's utopia never had a culture of it's own. At least Knothole/Acorn Kingdom had some idea of identity. It was stupid medival stasis yet with some tech and anvilicious green messages, but it was more than the echidnas had.

EDIT. Also forgot to mention: the modern echidnas in both Albion and Echidnopolis were supposedly anti-tech to give motivation for the technocratic Dark Legion. Yet as mentioned, they were some of the most advanced cities on the planet. Even the conflict Ken tried to set up didnt even make sense logically OR internally.

The most culture the Echidna had centered around their religion, which was pretty much a judeo-christian faith with the serial numbers filed off. You had the Lost Tribe, who were nomads who for some reason couldn't find any place on Mobius to live in all the centuries they'd been travelling, and who seemed to worship the Ancient Walkers. 

That being said, any cultural details that were revealed were not elaborated on, and there wasn't much to distinguish the place from your average 20th century Western city. Even that 'unveiling' thing was just a Sweet Sixteen, and Ken phrased it as such. And that's without getting into some of the inconsistent details, such as the aforementioned tech levels despite being anti-technology, or more glaringly, supposedly being a democratic republic when it was eventually revealed that their leader is in fact a religious figure called The Mitre. 

So while they DID have details as a culture, those details were generic, and there was little to nothing to really make them distinct beyond 'The Ones Who Live In A Modern Citiy'. Even facts such as them being supposedly anti-social and needing The Soultouch in order to really get out and about doesn't amount to zip, as they are never demonstrated as behaving any differently from humans. 

Speaking of original...

Penders says that this is the only script out of the 3 story premises that got scrapped, though I highly doubt that:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/584533887008641025

The script itself explains everything.

As parodies go, it's fairly one-note, and everything's pretty much dictated by the reference.  The Marxio Bros. from StC had a lot more going on.  I don't want to say it's not the right way to do a parody, necessarily, but I can see why it didn't go through.

If Kenders ever wrote any Mario material (assuming that Nintendo was as negligent as SEGA was back then), do you think it would have been closer to the source material than the movie was or less? :P

And for the first time in months, Penders mentions something of The Storm.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/585172238854443010

I'm wrapping up work on my story THE STORM, which will provide some idea where things are headed as it provides some of the set-up.

Recall; when he first showed that page, he promised that more would follow within the next week. This was a few months ago. And only now is he 'wrapping up work' on the damn thing. 

Is it any wonder why I perpetually doubt that he's going to have LSC released in time for this years SDCC, when he cannot even manage a stupid prequel comic without it taking months?

• Thumbs Up 1

If Kenders ever wrote any Mario material (assuming that Nintendo was as negligent as SEGA was back then), do you think it would have been closer to the source material than the movie was or less? :P

Somehow, I get this feeling that it would make the Super Mario Bros. movie look like the most faithful adaptation ever.

And for the first time in months, Penders mentions something of The Storm.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/585172238854443010

Recall; when he first showed that page, he promised that more would follow within the next week. This was a few months ago. And only now is he 'wrapping up work' on the damn thing. 

Is it any wonder why I perpetually doubt that he's going to have LSC released in time for this years SDCC, when he cannot even manage a stupid prequel comic without it taking months?

Considering this whole thing was supposed to be out three years ago, I'd be more surprised if someone didn't doubt that he'd have the thing released by that time. 

I'd love for Penders to write Mario stuff, so he would put his shitty deviantart Sonic OCs in there and get sued.

*sigh*

Alright, but he can't possible spend ALL of his time screwing around on the internet. What the hell does he do? I mean, I'm usually either doing homework or sleeping, and even I get more stuff written than him. Wtf?

• Thumbs Up 4

*sigh*

Alright, but he can't possible spend ALL of his time screwing around on the internet. What the hell does he do? I mean, I'm usually either doing homework or sleeping, and even I get more stuff written than him. Wtf?

Probably looking in the mirror, inflating his own ego, and telling everybody he meets about how he's the most amazing writer on the face of the planet despite not being able to get a piece of work out in a decent time frame and being all around shit.

And he expects to have this done by SDCC. What do you guys think his excuse will be? I'll personally thinking he'll say "Oh, I had to change the story because I found out that -Insert random character here- plays a big part in the story!"

• Thumbs Up 2

*sigh*

I can safely say that it is possible to spend all your time screwing around on the internet.  :mellow:

Seriously though, we know he has a family, and he claims to have friends, maybe he spends time with them.

Though, his apparent procrastination makes me kind of wonder just how into this project he really is. Maybe I'm just weird, but in my experience, if you want to do something, you don't put it off, at least not this long. Does he actually want to do this thing at all? Is this a story he feels need to be told and he genuinely wants to be the one to tell or is he just dragging himself through it because he thinks it'll have a big pay off? 

(I'd entertain the idea he's working hard on it and just keeps hitting problems, but I imagine he'd probably use those as excuses all the time if that was true.)

• Thumbs Up 4