Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Or worse...photographic backgrounds. *shudder*

But yeah there seems to have been a point where his artwork was actually passable, but then it got worse and worse once Sonic got his modern look.

Penders wasnt the only one who couldnt adjust to the Modern era. Art Mawhinney, one of the book's early 'good artists' never quite got used to the new look for characters, especially the game ones. Just look at his last story illustrations, when Ken had Sonic and Anti-Sonic fight and Rouge was macking on Locke so AS could try to steal the Master Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye. Poor guy just could not get the hang of Sonic's new spine configuration. 

And then there are the various pro artists from mainstream comics whose work just went to crap the moment it was applied to Sonic... 

Penders wasnt the only one who couldnt adjust to the Modern era. Art Mawhinney, one of the book's early 'good artists' never quite got used to the new look for characters, especially the game ones. Just look at his last story illustrations, when Ken had Sonic and Anti-Sonic fight and Rouge was macking on Locke so AS could try to steal the Master Emerald.

I know what you mean. =[ Another artist who had troubles adjusting to the Modern era was Dave Manak, who made Rouge look like this;

Rouge.png

And Sonic look like...well, this;

tumblr_lyqkd3fXOn1rnsvazo1_500.png

Courtesy of A Moment of Archie Sonic Tumblr btw. XP I do find it funny that Sonic's look there is very similar to the Nendoroid Sonic which was recently released.

Oh god. That art was one of the main reasons why I hated the Sabrina crossover. In fact, before the SSMB Server Fart '15, There was a Archie Sonic Sins thread (Based on the Cinema Sins videos) and I went over most of the problems found in Part 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehrm... I remember even back in the early days of the book, there were complaints about Manak's artwork.

I don't know if it survived the server crash, but in the Archie thread, I posted an infamous letters column where a fan in Germany basically told the team that he hated Manak's work and that Scott Shaw! should be brought back to justify his importing of the Sonic book. It wasn't what he said, but the way in which he said it that got me pissed off.

That reminds me, what has ol' Scotty boy been up to lately, since wasn't he one of Pen's go-to "fellow artists" to excuse his past work and actions since he had a bone to pick with the industry? I was sure that with DC bringing the Zoo Crew back into continuity with Multiversity and Convergance, he'd say something about creator's rights and support a 'fellow creator'.

Or hell, Elliot S! Maggin, since he was Pen's offical 'Jewish friend' who told him the Holocaust poem wasn't offensive and was artistically okay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ehrm... I remember even back in the early days of the book, there were complaints about Manak's artwork.

I don't know if it survived the server crash, but in the Archie thread, I posted an infamous letters column where a fan in Germany basically told the team that he hated Manak's work and that Scott Shaw! should be brought back to justify his importing of the Sonic book. It wasn't what he said, but the way in which he said it that got me pissed off.

That reminds me, what has ol' Scotty boy been up to lately, since wasn't he one of Pen's go-to "fellow artists" to excuse his past work and actions since he had a bone to pick with the industry? I was sure that with DC bringing the Zoo Crew back into continuity with Multiversity and Convergance, he'd say something about creator's rights and support a 'fellow creator'.

Or hell, Elliot S! Maggin, since he was Pen's offical 'Jewish friend' who told him the Holocaust poem wasn't offensive and was artistically okay.

I don't know enough about Scott Shaw to know why he would defend Penders or vice versa. I do know however that Maggin hasn't spoken up at any of the other flareups that happened ever since that one incident. Though who knows, maybe if somebody made it an issue again he'd come back and lend his full support to the man who not only appropriated a poem about the circumstances that allowed a horrific tragedy to be afflicted upon his people but also appropriated a symbol widely and almost universally asscoiated with said people for the purposes of his own project. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have doubts that he even knows Maggin.

Then again, I have doubts that he knows anyone he claims to know. I'd laugh if one of them actually came in and said that they never even heard of Penders before.

I have doubts that he even knows Maggin.

Then again, I have doubts that he knows anyone he claims to know. I'd laugh if one of them actually came in and said that they never even heard of Penders before.

There's a picture of him with Maggin (sorta, Maggin seems busy with something else), and Maggin did come to his defense when there was that kerfluffle over his theft of the holocaust poem... which was started by a Jewish poster to begin with... but yeah, Maggin has at least deigned to weigh in and try to deflect criticism from the guy.

Well, okay, that makes more sense.

Well, it's a good thing I never said I was the most knowledgeable on this, because now I can't deny that I'm not.

Shaw's busy constantly being surprised learning licensed books are work-for-hire, last I checked. Honestly, I like the guy's work, but I've found him grating in the last year or so because of that. I can actually see why he threw his lot in with Penders during the Archie debacle; he probably expected a bigger pay out thanks to the big screw up with the contracts. Granted, he's still more agreeable/understandable than the Pen, if only by a little. Shaw doesn't plagiarize shit and then claim fair use (I honestly gag when Penders says it's OK, claims it's "parody" or talks about fair use regarding things like the Niemoller poem or even lifting art from Archie's official comic, but can't see the irony when he led a crusade against SEGA).

Come to think of it, didn't Penders say something about Zoo Crew and royalties a while back? I think it got lost in the crash, but I believe he did mention something about it, even if it's just more lip service.

Come to think of it, didn't Penders say something about Zoo Crew and royalties a while back? I think it got lost in the crash, but I believe he did mention something about it, even if it's just more lip service.

If he did, it was probably when the Showcase Collection of it's original run came out. Penders always did have issues with reprints, which was one of the big things he brought up with the lawsuit against Archie. That was also one of Shaw's big blowups, right? When he complained about Boom! Comics making a reprint of Adventure Time covers and one of them was a Shaw piece; and Shaw demanded more money? And Mark Waid all but called him clueless about how work for hire works? I'd hate to see how he'd react if DC decided to launch another mini or ongoing of the Zoo Crew; he'd probably try to pull another Pendering.

This reminds me that to this day, we still don't really know what the settlement terms were with Archie & Penders since Archie still has kept up with the reprints of Penders & Bollers' eras. Even if they stopped the Knuckles Archives before they finished since they weren't selling well if I heard correctly.

Wonder what Pen has to say about that; that people stopped buying his opus, even if it went towards Archie, that it wasn't important enough to finish.

• Thumbs Up 6

This reminds me that to this day, we still don't really know what the settlement terms were with Archie & Penders since Archie still has kept up with the reprints of Penders & Bollers' eras. Even if they stopped the Knuckles Archives before they finished since they weren't selling well if I heard correctly.

Wonder what Pen has to say about that; that people stopped buying his opus, even if it went towards Archie, that it wasn't important enough to finish.

• Thumbs Up 2

If he did, it was probably when the Showcase Collection of it's original run came out. Penders always did have issues with reprints, which was one of the big things he brought up with the lawsuit against Archie. That was also one of Shaw's big blowups, right? When he complained about Boom! Comics making a reprint of Adventure Time covers and one of them was a Shaw piece; and Shaw demanded more money? And Mark Waid all but called him clueless about how work for hire works? I'd hate to see how he'd react if DC decided to launch another mini or ongoing of the Zoo Crew; he'd probably try to pull another Pendering.

-The Sukini. If I ever get the chance to meet the person who coined that term, I want to give them a hug. It’s such an awesome pun, and I kind of wish I thought of it first. Nevertheless, the costume is so bizarre a design choice (considering she already had a more modest swimsuit in #138). Plus it’s being used as the only piece of publicity material featuring the character so far, and if it turns out the final cover, I’d be worried the supposed teenage hero of the piece is being promoted as wearing a sultry swimsuit. There’s definitely an audience who would like this sort of thing, but I’m sure these aren’t the fans he’s looking for.

Not sure how many people want to see the titbits I may have laying around. Ironically I own a copy of the most recent ’20 Years Later’ page he released, and was thinking about posting a scan here sometime. He seems to have done the job for me. Still, if there’s enough interest (or if there’s something you specifically want), I’ll have a look to see if I still have them.

That one would be me who devised that particular pun. And to this day I still have no idea about why he bent over backward to include the damn thing, other than some vague justification of it being used to 'clue in parents that it might not be for kids' (despite in the past having said LAra-Su is for 'everyone', and before that that it was meant to target 'young teenage girls'). 

And really, we'd take anything you got that Penders hasn't already posted, along with any personal insights or trivia you might have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

PendersOkayKnuckles_zpszy8btlbm.jpg

I like how Knuckles seems angriest about the fact that it was a dude, of all things (he doesn't seem to know about the gender of the person who did that, but I never read the comics, so yeah, sorry.)

• Thumbs Up 1

-Making Lara-Su a full-sighted pink redhead with a pug nose. Her red-purple colour scheme was appealing to me, and I especially like the glasses (mind you, it’s never properly stated that she’s blind, but I like to think she is. Makes the character a bit more relatable and not perfect in every way). 

Hasn't she still been wearing glasses in every promo bit for this thing, though? Weird looking glasses, but still. Even when apparently about to go cliff diving/swimming. 

Those are less glasses and more like a kind of visor really, and the bottom line is that they look incredibly stupid, especially since her earlier lens-glasses were far more stylish. 

And while not having to do with LSC, why don't we behold Penders getting his Aging Nerd Fanboy strut on?

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588147511379890176

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588148398844325888

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588152166621249536

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588152590891933696

Long story short, Penders ascribes far more of the Lee run of Daredevil to the current Netflix show than reality would seem to support... and really, Daredevil 1 a 'fairly dark book'? Not even by sixties standards, buddy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Isn't the Netflix series an adaption of Frank Miller's Daredevil run? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the Netflix series an adaption of Frank Miller's Daredevil run? 

Why yes. Yes it is. It is explicitly stated. And many would argue that Miller is the 'real' creator of Daredevil given that his take on the character is the iconic one. 

Not that this is an endorsement of the guy, just an acknowledgement of his influence for the purposes of pointing out how ludicrous Penders' assessment of the show and its influences is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Penders is such an idiot. If people liked the adaption of the comic series, then they should clearly go and read that run! Daredevil is a dark show so it isn't exactly going to be easy for fans of the show that has these really well developed characters to jump into a campy 60's comic that's not dark, and is filled with silly plots. Trying to say a 60's comic book of all things which was at the height of campy comics is dark is incredibly silly. 

I like how Knuckles seems angriest about the fact that it was a dude, of all things (he doesn't seem to know about the gender of the person who did that, but I never read the comics, so yeah, sorry.)

• Thumbs Up 4

In fairness, I see a lot of people who use "dude" as a gender neutral word. Even I do sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why yes. Yes it is. It is explicitly stated. And many would argue that Miller is the 'real' creator of Daredevil given that his take on the character is the iconic one. 

Not that this is an endorsement of the guy, just an acknowledgement of his influence for the purposes of pointing out how ludicrous Penders' assessment of the show and its influences is. 

And yet he says Stan Lee's run was a dark venture and the most iconic?  Err... Like Dustin said there, as much as I find Stan Lee to be a really awesome dude and one heck of a creative mind, his stuff is about the same sort of tone as Adam West's Batman, which I'm sure Ken would call the darkest iteration of the character if he thinks Stan's Daredevil is dark.

It's like you said; Miller just reworked the character into something more memorable, grounded and as we all know besides Kenny Boy (come on, it's Frank Miller! :P ) DARK.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if his clinging to the idea of the original creator being the only 'legitimate' one is as much him needing to tell himself that in relation to Sonic as it is a result of him being a nostalgia addled fanboy. 

But hey, how about something a bit more current? 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588456079832428545

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/588497678318706688

More verification of the Echydnya being 'more eco friendly', and evidently that map from the second Super Special is being used as well. 

*groan*

• Thumbs Up 1