Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

This July, from the 9th to the 12th. And the probability of him claiming that's what he meant to begin with when he shows up with nothing is *freakishy* high. 

*Does the maths*

Okay he's got about 3 months then. He may or may not be done with it then...

Probably not, considering this thing was supposed to be out in 2012. 2012 came and went without it, as has 2013 and 2014.

Probably not, considering this thing was supposed to be out in 2012. 2012 came and went without it, as has 2013 and 2014.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Thumbs Up 2

So, Dork is comparing himself to holocaust survivors now, eh? I never though he'll never stoop lower. Guess I was wrong.

I thought maybe there was some point about corporations or something, but then he mentioned Image, a company founded on creators' rights... so I'm just going to assume it's some insane rant by an insane person.

I think he's trying to say that in a few years, Disney is going to tire of Marvel, breakup the company and sell it in pieces to other companies for a profit.

And to this, I can only gape on in disbelief at a 'businessman' once again shows he knows nothing of business.

Age of Ultron hasn't come out yet, right? Does he think it's gonna disappoint like Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Disney will tire of Marvel in general?

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm completely lost on what it is he's saying here.

But at the same time, he lost his marbles a loooong while ago, so it looks like it's just another day in the office.

I think he's trying to say that in a few years, Disney is going to tire of Marvel, breakup the company and sell it in pieces to other companies for a profit.

And to this, I can only gape on in disbelief at a 'businessman' once again shows he knows nothing of business.

Age of Ultron hasn't come out yet, right? Does he think it's gonna disappoint like Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Disney will tire of Marvel in general?

• Thumbs Up 2

In a world where I'm quite annoyed with Sonic's overall shaky quality control (to put it very politely), it's heartening to know that Ken Penders continues to be even worse somehow. Clinging to the back of the monstrous beast that is the modern Sonic franchise, like a gibbering moustached leech. It's beautiful in how pathetic it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

So. A late night update regarding Pendejo. Apparrently he saw the Woman in Gold. Said it was a good film, other reviews say otherwise, but hey, Penders tends to schmooze whenever he talks about these things.

And then he said this.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/589298408411639811

He. Compared his legal experiances. To the Woman in Gold. A story about a woman trying to get a family heirloom back after it was taken from her family by the Nazis. A real woman at that. Whose husband was held hostage at Dachau and whose family lost everything because they were forced to flee. 

What the fuck is it wrong with him. What the fuck.

No wonder no ones hired him a job. The man has no sense what so ever, and no good idea by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I asked what he was babbling about.

So of course, my question led into a whole other string of stupid on Ken's end.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is the most stupid thing I've heard. Marvel and DC have been going for over 50 years and are extremely successful, with the majority of live action movies being blockbusters. There is absolutely no way that Disney would sell off characters like Spider-Man and Captain America, especially ''Some guy working in a garage''.

• Thumbs Up 4

This man is absolutely loony. Or drunk. Or both!

Seriously, what's up with all these stupid Twitter comments? >< He should just stay away from Twitter for a few days and focus on finishing his stupid comic!

• Thumbs Up 1

That makes some sense, but it ultimately brings up the question of "If the comics can't make money for their original parent companies, then just how the hell would selling them piecemeal to other publishers bring in that much more money?"

As much as I hope it doesn't happen, if monthly comics die, it will happen to nearly EVERY SINGLE KIND OF COMIC. So why would IDW, for example, who's taken a major hit in the industry buy the rights to publish Green Lantern if DC/Time-Warner cannot do it themselves. The more likely scenario is something that Pen actually brought up himself: the companies would put out trades at a time instead of monthlies, and try to save costs there. Or go pure digital, but I personally prefer physical material.

• Thumbs Up 7

Wait, You understood his nonsense?

*gasp* Are you the chosen one to decipher his idiot language into coherent english?!

• Thumbs Up 7

Longtime lurker, first-time poster here. As loath as I am to defend anything he says, I think I know what he's trying to say.

I think he's saying that to companies like Warner Bros. and Disney, whatever money the comics are bringing in these days is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else they make on the franchises from movies, cartoons, and so on, and that they have enough stories to draw from now that continuing to invest in the monthly comics may eventually become pointless to them.

So instead, just as SEGA licenses Archie to make Sonic comics, Hasbro licenses IDW to make Transformers comics, or even Disney licenses Joe Books to make Darkwing Duck comics, Disney and WB might license companies like IDW or Archie or whoever to make new Spider-Man or Batman or whatever comics. Same as they might license Activision to make a Spider-Man video game.

The only thing there is that DC tends to keep their stuff in-house whenever possible. Warner Bros. movies, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Interactive for the games, and so on.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for untangling that. If that is indeed what he wanted to say, he could have been clearer to his initial point rather than randomly announcing this, and twitter really isn't the format to elaborate about something like this. 

It's an interesting theory, admittedly, but I don't really see it happening any time soon. By that rationale, the major comic companies would have done that a while back when their cartoons were more successful than their mainstream comics. Further, his insights into how to break into comics don't really jive with what I've heard other creators say on the subject, nor do they take into account the increasing success the independent scene has had thanks to shifting interests and the internet, namely via crowdfunding and the like. And as has been brought up, even if mothlies do go extinct and we switch to Digital or Graphic Novel formats, why then would they outsorce their product? The way Penders goes about this just seems to be yet more of him demonstrating his disdain for comics as a medium and insistence upon Hollywood films and the like and his belief that they purely exist to provide fodder FOR movies and TV. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That makes some sense, but it ultimately brings up the question of "If the comics can't make money for their original parent companies, then just how the hell would selling them piecemeal to other publishers bring in that much more money?"

As much as I hope it doesn't happen, if monthly comics die, it will happen to nearly EVERY SINGLE KIND OF COMIC. So why would IDW, for example, who's taken a major hit in the industry buy the rights to publish Green Lantern if DC/Time-Warner cannot do it themselves. The more likely scenario is something that Pen actually brought up himself: the companies would put out trades at a time instead of monthlies, and try to save costs there. Or go pure digital, but I personally prefer physical material.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think his "bean counter" talk might shed some light. Nothing says WB or Disney couldn't keep doing it, but if the returns aren't worth the investment to them, why would they? Keep in mind, these are huge conglomerates with their hands in everything from movies to TV to video games to theme parks to whatever else. If the top selling comic in the industry doesn't even break half a million units sold (I know, that chart probably doesn't count digital and the like), then the whole thing is probably too small for them to consider bothering with.

On the other hand, companies like IDW and Archie? Comics is pretty much all they do, and they can probably get by on smaller numbers, especially when they aren't being compared to other divisions within a bigger company.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks! I figured if people are going to curse what he's saying, it should be for what he's actually trying to say, assuming I got it right. Intentional or not, it's not like his words need twisting to offer up material. But yeah, actually communicating ideas seems to be something of a failing of his, and like you say, Twitter only makes it worse.

Also, I'm not saying he's right or wrong. I'll leave that to you guys. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

At one point in history Marvel may have considered this tactic, but they are owned by Disney now, and Disney is pretty ruthless and aren't known to easily license to anyone, if at all in a lot of cases. Hell half the time they don't even finish their own releases, (I'm looking at you Ducktales) let alone letting anyone else have them. They haven't spent a good part of their current ownership trying to return all the properties and licenses back into their own hands just to turn around and scatter them to the winds again. Madness!!