Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

*instinct to defend new universe rises*

*realizes that anything I'm going to say has already been said before a million times*

*decides to let it go*

Yeah, I was a fan of the old universe, so what?

It sure was unique. It had more substance than the games as well. (At least any game on the Modern Era.)

I enjoyed the old universe, too. Mostly Ian's run, though other writers did make at least a few good stories.

I like the new universe, however, and Penders' actions have made moving on easier. Though that doesn't apply to everyone, obviously.

It sure was unique. It had more substance than the games as well. (At least any game on the Modern Era.)

There's no reason to get defensive. MDS wasn't attacking you, just everything that can be said in defense of the modern era has been said. It is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 7

Hey, whoa there.

I consider myself a fan of the old universe too. I really do. I happen to like the new universe more, but there are definitely things I miss. I completely understand and even partially agree with the notion that the old one had more "substance". I am going to miss 20 years of continuity.

Honestly, what I was reacting to was mostly you calling the new universe a "shitty clone of the games". I don't think the new universe is "shitty", in fact I really like it, and I know a lot of other people do too. For better or for worse, I just wasn't willing to let that comment sit there unresponded to, but at the same time I knew I'd have nothing new or interesting to say, hence my somewhat self-mocking approach.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion" is my credo, man. I'm really sorry if I gave the impression I was stepping on yours. Looking back, I can see how it could've easily come across as saying something very different from what I meant, and I quite regret that.

• Thumbs Up 5

The current creatives wouldn't have a book to work on if not for the efforts of the people I named, including those BTS.

• Thumbs Up 4

He's pretty jealous of Ian's popularity it seems. He seems to be really resentful that Ian gets a lot of recognition and he doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 6

I've watched Ian and the current creators get the recognition over the past several years that none of the others ever did.

• Thumbs Up 3

He'd probably be singing a different tune if he was the one getting recognition. He'd also probably act as if the other writers were peasants and idiots while he, "THE GREAT PENDERS", made Archie Comics great.

• Thumbs Up 2

He'd probably be singing a different tune if he was the one getting recognition. He'd also probably act as if the other writers were peasants and idiots while he, "THE GREAT PENDERS", made Archie Comics great.

You mean he doesn't already? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Yuji Naka created the program for Sonic's moves. He didn't design the character nor did he create a mythology

I decided to reply to this one.

Last I checked, you didn't create the character, mythology, or anything related to the games.

• Thumbs Up 9

You mean he doesn't already? :P

I mean he'd be even worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am all for giving the props that people like Angelo, Mawhinny, and even Pen and Left-After-The-First-Mini-Shaw.

The real problem is that Pen, no matter what he says, doesn't. Not really. He didn't, nor still does, give props to Karl no matter if they 'made up'. And he certainly doesn't care about the people who came when he left.

Ian and his wife Aleah, Tracey, Ben Bates, all of them? He believes them to be hangers-on, parasites that are still feeding off of the Golden Calf which was his tenure.

Those people he mentioned in his tweet? He only gives them lip service so he can maintain his backassward view that only the original creators matter, himself included but above them all.

• Thumbs Up 8

Fuck sake, this man couldn't sound anymore stuck up.

Last I checked, my material is still available in reprints and digital downloads. Hardly gone.

I had more pull on the comic than you give me credit for.

My take on Antoine and Bunnie was the result of all the hate mail we received from the fans, and not from anything Angelo did.

That's right, he claims Angelo had absolutely nothing to do with the Bunnie/Antoine pairing and it was all him.

• Thumbs Up 1

So if he saw all that hate mail/read so much fan mail, how did he know about all that Antoine hate without hearing anything about the Antoine/Bunnie story written by Angelo.

• Thumbs Up 1

He also claimed that he never bothered reading Angelo's work, and insisted that it was the fans who wrote in who said he was writing "furry Archie".

• Thumbs Up 2

Geez, this reminds me an awful lot of Ryan Drummond's recent blow-up about SEGA. Boo-hoo. I'd argue the creatives of the time did get their share of recognition. If there's anything Gabrie managed to do was talk up the team, even spin the dumbest things they did into something meaningful (he had a three-part editorial about the influence of Star Wars on the comic... and I'm using "influence" lightly). Hell, for quite a few years, his name was synonymous with the book, and people gave him quite a bit of credit for his contributions given how long he was involved... and then he started his petty little crusade and he's suddenly surprised people see him for who he is. But you know something, his star has fallen, and Flynn's and the new bullpen's have risen. Let them have their time for fuck's sake.

It's so cute how he will gladly dismiss these creatives and their contributions one second and then suddenly start singing their praises, and all because they aren't named Ian Flynn.

He does seem very bitter and resentful. He constantly tells people he's gotten over it and moved on, but a lot of what he talks about and keeps coming back to are all based on the comic he no longer works for.

Ian is a better writer than you Penders, he has given each character a personality and purpose that even Sega can't seem to do. He didn't need to fill the comics with his own characters because he knew how to use the ones that existed already. Before they were wiped from existence he even gave all your characters meaning when over your long run they all sat stagnating.

Also if it wasn't for Ian and all the other passionate people currently on the comic team we likely wouldn't even have a comic still after Sega's upset at Archie for all the crap you pulled!! Which would include your precious reprints.

I for one am glad we have what we have now, a team dedicated to creating the best in universe Sonic stories with some of the best art and story crafting we have had in YEARS!! (personal opinion of course). People who aren't trying to take over the comic with their own ideas but breath life into existing game mythos and turn it all into a coherent world!! If there's one thing I true lay thank you for Penders from the bottom of my heart, its that you picked up your toys and left!! Because of that one selfish action we have all the brilliant material we do today. So thank you :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Observation: Pendejo hates Ian because he believes Ian is getting praise over something someone else (he, Pendejo) set up.

Further observation: Ian's Mega Man run gets positive acclaim from Comic book sites (and some gaming). This series has only existed during Ian's run and therefor Ian's work stands on it's own and is not based on any other comic writer's works.

Is that praise somehow undeserved as well?

But.. but... Ian didn't create Mega Man! Therefore what he did doesn't matter! If it wasn't for Inafune, he's have nothing to write about! So there! ...Ha!

In seriousness, I'm sure that would be the man's excuse. He loves sniping at Ian's ability to tell a story and manage several books that all do quite well, and ignoring his precious "original creator" logic when it suits him. If it involves giving Flynn any credit, Penders will avoid it.

But.. but... Ian didn't create Mega Man! Therefore what he did doesn't matter! If it wasn't for Inafune, he's have nothing to write about! So there! ...Ha!

In seriousness, I'm sure that would be the man's excuse. He loves sniping at Ian's ability to tell a story and manage several books that all do quite well, and ignoring his precious "original creator" logic when it suits him. If it involves giving Flynn any credit, Penders will avoid it.

It would be. And the fact he's ignored the precise same criticisms hurled his way regarding his own work will fly right over his head, because when applied to him it's inconvenient. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He's pretty jealous of Ian's popularity it seems. He seems to be really resentful that Ian gets a lot of recognition and he doesn't.

Well he does get recognition, just not the recognition he wants.

Seriously, you were fired in 2006, almost 10 years ago. let it the fuck go your bitching Penders is getting as old as the STH2006 jokes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember when this thread used to be more about a comic than its author?

Somebody striving to undergo a project like this comercially definently shouldn't have this kind of spare time to throw away bitching at people near-constantly. If he made any concious effort to use that kind of time productively, even Penders would've at least put out a first issue by now.

• Thumbs Up 5