Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Remember when this thread used to be more about a comic than its author?

Somebody striving to undergo a project like this comercially definently shouldn't have this kind of spare time to throw away bitching at people near-constantly. If he made any concious effort to use that kind of time productively, even Penders would've at least put out a first issue by now.

There was a comic :B?

• Thumbs Up 6

Well he does get recognition, just not the recognition he wants.

Seriously, you were fired in 2006, almost 10 years ago. let it the fuck go your bitching Penders is getting as old as the STH2006 jokes.

Oh-ho no. He wasn't fire. That's the gorgeous part. He left. Of his own free will. Even in the face of everything blatantly wrong with him as a writer, artist and an employee, it still wasn't enough. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I saw in that series of bitterness screaming tweets, that he was going to help work on season 3 of SatAM.  Uh... am I right in saying there's nothing to back that up, or is he just referring to that SatAM movie he completely (and very likely, deliberately) botched?

I saw in that series of bitterness screaming tweets, that he was going to help work on season 3 of SatAM.  Uh... am I right in saying there's nothing to back that up, or is he just referring to that SatAM movie he completely (and very likely, deliberately) botched?

• Thumbs Up 2

He said in the past that he was supposed to write one (or a few) episode of SatAM.

Didn't he also say at one point that he never actually WATCHED SatAM, like he (or his son) never actually played the games in the early 90's?

:lol: hahahaha omg! its so pathetic!

seriously.. this guy doesn't show respect to the actual staff, not even Rafa Knight, Ben bates, Yardly matters?

without Yardly i never would have read the Mobius 30 years later arc..

and what about Matt Herms?  his amazing coloring style doesn't worth it?

and about Spaz as i see he gets the properly recognizion for his work... with his Megaman work too.. the guy is a master!

besides its because of Penders that all those 20 years of Comic Stories, all those people; that he just named, all their work just GONE all because of Penders..

no.gif ..

• Thumbs Up 3

Didn't he also say at one point that he never actually WATCHED SatAM, like he (or his son) never actually played the games in the early 90's?

Then he sort backs himself into a wall (as per usual).  How can you successfully write an episode for a show you've never seen?

It's not an impossibility, no, but there is nothing out there that verifies that. Not to my knowledge anyway. Given that he once claimed that Ben Hurst said he had 'passed the torch' onto Penders when the situation was anything but, I would sincerely question the likelyhood of it being true. And given his general behaviour and inability to write? I would think he'd not last longer than a single episode. ESPECIALLY given how he handles Sally. 

I shudder to think how bad it'd be.  But if there's no concrete proof, then I can only assume it's another, ego raising, lie. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Then he sort backs himself into a wall (as per usual). How can you successfully write an episode for a show you've never seen?

Well, he would have people to answer to, show runners, producers, etc. And there'd be a show bible. I don't think a lot of the crap he pulled on the comic would fly because he'd be under quite a bit of scrutiny compared to working with editor Gabrie, who rarely did his job.

Not saying those episodes would be GOOD, but I don't think it's out there that he could have technically worked on the show.

It is news to me that he would've been involved though... Didn't Pen say he didn't even KNOW about the cartoon until late into his run after it was canceled? I'm fairly sure there's a quote somewhere and I hope it's not his forum...

No, he's quite proud that he 'discovered' SatAM when the comics were more AoSTH based in the beginning. You notice a shift to being more like SatAM around the time he came in.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, he's quite proud that he 'discovered' SatAM when the comics were more AoSTH based in the beginning. You notice a shift to being more like SatAM around the time he came in.

If I remeber correctly the shift came rather suddenly.

If I remeber correctly the shift came rather suddenly.

That would be correct.  It led to a weird period, when one issue would be darker, grimmer than others, then return to the puntastic, colourful world it was used to the next.

Ah, here it is. Five years and that TSS interview is still relevant. Crazy.

Jason: Now, when you first come on it was when Mike Gallagher was writing it, and it was a little sillier back then, full of cheesy puns, and I guess you wanted it more like the “SatAM” cartoon?

Ken: Well actually…actually, no. What really happened was, editor Paul Castiglia had contacted Mike Kanterovich, ’cause he and Mike had been hanging around various comic conventions together, where they knew each other from…and Mike didn’t have a clue what Sonic was. But he knew I did, so he came over and we started batting around some ideas. And we submitted them, and we were told to orient our stories into eleven, six, or five page format, so along the lines of what Mike Gallagher was doing. And it wasn’t until editor Scott Fulop came on board that I made the suggestion to him, having discovered the Saturday morning cartoons, that we should make the comic more adventure-oriented – you know, more in-tune with the Saturday morning series than the weekday series, and he was very agreeable with that, so…

For the record, Fulop came on board with #12 (he left around #37 or so and stayed on as a writer). The shift, as we know it, really didn't come into effect until the early 30s and coincided with Knuckles's first mini-series. This would also roughly be around the time the show ended. That said, even when Fulop was editor, the tone was inconsistent and would go from serious to silly quickly within the same issues (depending on who was writing the main story or back-ups). Even Penders, at least when he was still working with Kanterovich, wasn't writing serious stories every issue, bar his work with Knuckles. Which is why we'd have an issue (StH #18) like the Freedom Fighters staging a wedding to goad Robotnik into attacking them over something petty, and then a slow-burn back-up story about Sally remembering her childhood (the lead-in to the "Sonic in Your Face!" special)--both written by Penders and Kanterovich, I might add.

I would say the constant tone shifting didn't end, or at least reduce, until Gabrie became editor, oddly enough.

Odd. I could have sworn he mentioned in that recent interview that he didn't watch the show all that often, which struck me as odd because I also remmebered him actually mentioning making the book more like SatAM as outlined above. Ugh, I do not want to listen to that windbag all over again, the first time was excruciating enough as it was... 

You know, given his weird, weird vendetta against Sally, I gotta wonder how many 'we should kill Sally' plots he'd try to get passed before Hurst got fed up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Odd. I could have sworn he mentioned in that recent interview that he didn't watch the show all that often, which struck me as odd because I also remmebered him actually mentioning making the book more like SatAM as outlined above. Ugh, I do not want to listen to that windbag all over again, the first time was excruciating enough as it was... 

You know, given his weird, weird vendetta against Sally, I gotta wonder how many 'we should kill Sally' plots he'd try to get passed before Hurst got fed up. 

One for every episode Season 3 would have had.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am all for giving the props that people like Angelo, Mawhinny, and even Pen and Left-After-The-First-Mini-Shaw.

The real problem is that Pen, no matter what he says, doesn't. Not really. He didn't, nor still does, give props to Karl no matter if they 'made up'. And he certainly doesn't care about the people who came when he left.

Ian and his wife Aleah, Tracey, Ben Bates, all of them? He believes them to be hangers-on, parasites that are still feeding off of the Golden Calf which was his tenure.

Those people he mentioned in his tweet? He only gives them lip service so he can maintain his backassward view that only the original creators matter, himself included but above them all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I once mentioned Ben Bates as an example of a detailed artist after he talked about the book never being as detailed as Sonic Super Special #2. (Which I remind you features a scene of Sonic emoting drawn by Spaz because Penders is incapable of drawing emotion) He blew me off completely.

Well of course he did! Didn't you know that's how you're supposed to respond to people bringing up evidence that proves you blatantly wrong? Honestly, where did you learn to debate. 

Sarcasm aside, really? He admits to never reading the books after his run. How would he know? Hell, I'm not sure if he's even read anything by his co-workers in general. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When someone brought up whether or not he read work by his coworkers while on the book on his forum, he pretty much just dodged the question, so yeah, probably safe to say he hasn't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When someone brought up whether or not he read work by his coworkers while on the book on his forum, he pretty much just dodged the question, so yeah, probably safe to say he hasn't. 

I'm sure he's outright admitted it in other instances. Most recently he decided to refer to DeCesare's stories as "furry Archie" while proclaiming he didn't read any of DeCesare's work.

It must be nice having an ego like his.

Like, srsly:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/595078035235155969

I actually never read Angelo's stories. He approached them exactly as if he were writing a furry version of Archie.

Edited by Zaysho

How the hell do you go making a judgement call on something like that in the same breadth where you just admitted to not reading it? 

And for the record, having read DeCesare's work, I'd say it was more 'Looney Tunes' than 'Furry Archie'. Which is rich given the love triangle shenanigans that Penders got up to in the book.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh-ho no. He wasn't fire. That's the gorgeous part. He left. Of his own free will. Even in the face of everything blatantly wrong with him as a writer, artist and an employee, it still wasn't enough.

Wait...

He wasn't fired? I have spent the entire time we've had this thread assuming that's what happened and it was at least partly why he was mad enough at Archie and co. to do what he did a few years ago.

B|

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it has been brought up a lot early on that Penders had quit all on his own. Like horridus says, it really is surprising, even in the face of his obvious shortcomings, even considering he butt heads with Pellerito, whom he viewed as an upstart injecting himself into the creative process instead of an editor doing his job (Pellerito's demands literally being "use the actual Sonic characters more"), none of that still put him on chopping block.

Thinking about it more, I don't even think Pellerito planned on Flynn outright replacing Penders, but Penders quit and that's just how it went.

All the bitterness and sour grapes Penders expresses is entirely because Flynn and the current creative team are enjoying success he no longer is.

I'm sure he's outright admitted it in other instances. Most recently he decided to refer to DeCesare's stories as "furry Archie" while proclaiming he didn't read any of DeCesare's work.

It must be nice having an ego like his.

Like, srsly:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/595078035235155969

• Thumbs Up 4