Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Rob Liefeld could at least have stuff happen in his books. Pendejo can't even manage that. 

Also, yet more from Penders on the Archie announcement.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/598000248447893505

With color commentary from the Fuhrer, how lovely. 

Why is that an elephant in the room to you, Penders? The announcement was for the Archie series. It had nothing to do with Sonic and thus, nothing to do with Flynn. 

Penders's thoughts: "Licensed comics about superheroes and anthros and video games are for loser kids, so obviously Flynn would leap at the chance to work on a far more professional and respected long-running graphic novel series like Archie."  This is more of Penders showing flat-out contempt for Sonic by just assuming Flynn would do anything to get out of there - that it would be a promotion to work on something about humans in the real world.

• Thumbs Up 5

I guess the real question is if Ian was ever offered a spot on one of those books.

Funny Penders didn't @ Flynn in that tweet, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's even more ludicrous coming from a man who can barely create a subpar quality page despite working on his comic for over 2-4 years. Granted it's not exactly wrong that working on too many things at once can screw over quality if one isn't careful, but coming from him it's pretty much just attempting to make Ian look bad and shift attention away from his own failings.

Oh no, it can be understandable at times for a writer doing multiple titles that quality might take a dip if you don't tread lightly, but like you said it'd be Penders just trying to (unsuccessfully) get any attention towards his quality moved to someone else.  It's that kind of denial that's practically created the fanbase's disliking (and for a lot, down right hatred) of him.

I guess the real question is if Ian was ever offered a spot on one of those books.

Funny Penders didn't @ Flynn in that tweet, either.

I'm half surprised, half unsurprised.  Either way, Ian doesn't deserve to be dragged into this, not one bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just went and read the Sonic Adventure adaptation written by Penders. If Sonic calls Knuckles "Rad Red" one more time i'm going to lose my mind. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll give Pen & Karl this: if SEGA wanted them to promote Adventure, then they were the most unhelpful jagoff when they went around doing it. No advance copy of the English game or script, no character bios, nothing. I remember reading that Spaz had to import a Japanese copy and he and Gabrie had to manually try to translate the plot in a way that Karl (& Pen) could work with. And according to KKM, Sonic the Comic had even LESS to work with.

Not that it excuses the final product and the crap Pen put in, but it's understandable.

Aye. For all the problems that went into it, SEGA really is the main culprit. That doesn't justify the fact that Ken just HAD to shoehorn his mythology into the Echidna presented there despite how little sense it made or the fact he felt the need to focus on his own ideas and contributions over the main plot presented in the game (*coughCatCountrycough*), but it does explain a lot of the more glaring problems.

Though sadly, it does NOT explain why they felt the need to have Ron Lim do most of the art... that's just inexcusable. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Despite Sonic The Comic having almost no source material, it still was way better than Archie's adaptation. At least the dialogue in Fleetway wasn't completely cringeworthy to read.

Despite Sonic The Comic having almost no source material, it still was way better than Archie's adaptation. At least the dialogue in Fleetway wasn't completely cringeworthy to read.

The lack of Ron Lim art helps. 

Yes, I know I'm harping on that, but seriously, how in God's name did he last as long as he did?

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably the same reason IDW is desperate to keep their writers on their My Little Pony books even after two of them had their own separate gaffs with toxic SJW statements on forums and Twitter: the company is desperate to keep people who actually WANT to work on it even if their work quality is suspect or their creators upsetting their consumer base.

From what my brony friend tells me, IDW's MLP books are now essentially Archie's Sonic output from the late 90's/early 00's when it comes to fan and behind the scenes dramas.

• Thumbs Up 3

Probably the same reason IDW is desperate to keep their writers on their My Little Pony books even after two of them had their own separate gaffs with toxic SJW statements on forums and Twitter: the company is desperate to keep people who actually WANT to work on it even if their work quality is suspect or their creators upsetting their consumer base.

From what my brony friend tells me, IDW's MLP books are now essentially Archie's Sonic output from the late 90's/early 00's when it comes to fan and behind the scenes dramas.

Eeeeesh.... 

But yes, that would make a bit of sense I suppose. Still, his art really, really did not help with all the other wrong things going on with that particular adaptation, or with the era that followed. Everyone has their own idea of when 'the rot' set in exactly. Me, I waver between it being the beginning of the Sonic Adventure Arc or right after, but either way, Lim was a harbinger of 'The Rot'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1

And more from the Pendoofus. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/598121821825695744

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/598122323124715521

If you work for a major company, the pinnacle is working on their main character, such as Superman or Batman for DC. They just don't put anyone on those books, even if it seems like it to some at times. Besides, Ian needs to do more than Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 9

Uh... OK, so he's basically undermining the majority of comic books?  Because the way he's saying it, only stuff like Batman, Spider-Man, etc are the really relevant books and anything else is stuff you write simply to make a living off of.  DESPITE his mind numbing statements of how he practically made the Sonic book God's gift to readers, which if we go by that recent tweet of his, isn't a pinnacle book to work on... even though he's sort of been trying to say it is in the not so distant past.

Also, did he also, inadvertently undermine L-SC with saying that?  Jeez, the man will not think before he speaks...

• Thumbs Up 9

Not to mention Ian does write other comics besides Sonic. New Crusaders, Mega Man, c'mon man, if you're going to take potshots at the guy, at least do it right by knowing his other works. 

• Thumbs Up 4

"He has to do more than just Sonic"

He has?

He's even working with Dawn Best on her own series?

And I'm pretty sure he's written a few issues of Archie, too, and found it not to his taste.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention Ian does write other comics besides Sonic. New Crusaders, Mega Man, c'mon man, if you're going to take potshots at the guy, at least do it right by knowing his other works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, not to mention, "they don't just let anyone on those books, even if it seems like it at times"- basically he's saying that Ian isn't even worth that.

The salt is so strong it's corrosive.

• Thumbs Up 9

The lack of Ron Lim art helps. 

Yes, I know I'm harping on that, but seriously, how in God's name did he last as long as he did?

I would imagine Lim stayed on because of a lack of quality control by Gabrie and the fact that he must've been a very fast penciler for Sonic. Every issue he illustrated is just dashed off crap. Maybe it's just as well he always omitted Sonic from his resume on his website.

And more from the Pendoofus. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/598121821825695744

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/598122323124715521

Wooow man. You really are a special kind of comic book snob aren't ya? 

You know, given how much he harps on about creators' rights, I would think he would consider working on Batman and Superman not worth the time because he likes bringing up Jack Kirby all the freaking time and talks about how much Marvel and DC screw over creators. That and his generally shitty attitude about the medium, too ("...comics have been a niche market, considered at best the research and development stage for a character and/or concept before it goes on to another medium, be it film, TV, or video game." [x])

Also, the "Ian needs to do more than Sonic," line really pisses me off. Fuck off, Penders. Flynn writes/plots three books, and is in rotation on a fourth. He's been involved in a relaunch of Archie's superhero line, he works with Penders's former collaborator, Dawn Best, and who knows what else he has up his sleeve should the opportunity come around? The guy works non-stop, and while he may be spread a little thin, his work is actually very consistent and well-received. More importantly, he respects what he works on. All Penders has done in the last three years or so is guarantee that no one wants to remember him, and not even because his work varied from decent to awful all the time, but because he's an egomaniacal ass.

I was thinking last night that I wish he did take LSC to Kickstarter, because then when the support doesn't come in, he might get a fucking wake-up call, but now that I'm thinking about it, even that wouldn't work.

I just realized that he was talking about how he needed to have good incentives for a Kickstarter. Which suggests he thinks Kickstarter would be harder to pitch his product to than industry folks, because he's talked very big about how he's going to have movies/series/etc and 'already has prospective interests'.

It's easier to lie or tell half truths than it is to put up and shut up.

• Thumbs Up 8

But come on, Verb! Who wouldn't want a K'Nox iPhone case as a special fuck thank you for donating to such a project?

Honestly, if he did take to Kickstarter, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to unload all the Sonic stuff he's got sitting around, just like he's done at the comic conventions last year. I doubt he could come up with good original incentives to attract people to his work otherwise. Even if he was just working on Lost Ones, I'd bet he'd still be leveraging that with Sonic products.

I hate the Sonic Adventure adaptation that Archie did but I totally agree that it was SEGA's fault for it being so bad, what with not giving out an advanced copy of the game or explaining what the plot was.

It's funny that they're still like that today; keeping quiet about their game lore, not giving out guidelines on how their characters should act and what their world is like. That's how Pontac & Graff managed to write characters like Tails to be...well, OOC.

• Thumbs Up 2

They still had a Japanese version to play, which means they could clearly see that A. Super Sonic beats Chaos, B. Knuckles doesn't have any super chaos emerald powers, C. There is no stupid device that Station Square uses to drain energy from emeralds, and D. None of Ken's idiotic characters, including Locke and the Cat Country play any sort of role in the story.

• Thumbs Up 3