Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I actually haven't read the entire saga before... when I was a kid I sometimes missed a month or two, and the book was so difficult to access when you picked it back up that I ended up dropping it after putting up with it until Sonic #125 or so. I just remember opening an issue and Knuckles was suddenly green... and, yeah, nothing was happening. Like, it was Knuckles moving Julie-Su into a new apartment or something and something was happening with Dimitri and Mogul, but I still have no idea what.

Because of all the things you want to see a character with a new form is... help another character move into an apartment. 

PENDERS YOU HACK 

Because of all the things you want to see a character with a new form is... help another character move into an apartment. 

PENDERS YOU HACK 

What? You mean you didn't want to see an issue where Knuckles moves in with Julie-Su in a comic based on Sonic the Hedgehog? A game where you run and collect rings? 

Penders you are just terrible

• Thumbs Up 2

What? You mean you didn't want to see an issue where Knuckles moves in with Julie-Su in a comic based on Sonic the Hedgehog? A game where you run and collect rings? 

Every child waited months and years to read that amazing comic

Penders is a god. He knows the true meaning of Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see that, if it was written by someone who's great at writing Sonic characters so they can be in sitcom like situations, and it was a sitcom, and if it had it's own unique laugh track where it's just Eggman's Evil Laugh.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see that, if it was written by someone who's great at writing Sonic characters so they can be in sitcom like situations, and it was a sitcom, and if it had it's own unique laugh track where it's just Eggman's Evil Laugh.

That would be hilarious, a sitcom where Eggman's the only one laughing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know another quirk I noticed about Ken's writing, Nightwing? It's his inability to have characters finish sentences without saying the name of the character they're addressing, ShroomZ! Like we're too stupid to realise who each person is talking to, QuantumEdge.

Here's an example:

9lMlB2C.png

With more unnecessarily bolded words to boot.

Also noticed this little gem in the same story:

You know Ken's inability to make original character designs are bad when

FS6fj9o.png

YOU START MAKING CLONES OF YOUR OWN DAMN CLONES.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yes. I had forgotten about that TheFatPanda. 

• Thumbs Up 3

For some reason, I find the first panel very condescending, TheFatPanda. Like you said, maybe Penders thinks were too stupid to understand what's going on, TheFatPanda.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would just like to say of course the very first issue that Ken Penders wrote (issue 11) had to be a stupid convoluted story about how Sonic has access to a road that goes to different dimensions and met his anti self just because. 

Like seriously, he couldn't think of anything better than going straight to the "evil twin" story? 

Only Penders could make such a huge story in a comic that had nothing to do with it's main character. Endgame pretends that it's about Sonic while it's really about everyone else, especially Sally who is barely seen throughout the whole story.

I kind of disagree. Sonic was the fugitive framed for Sally's murder. Contrived, sure, but in the end, it was Sonic and the rallied Geoffrey, Knuckles, and Dulcy that managed to turn the tide in Knothole after everyone was captured.

Really, the Sonic thread ran through it from beginning to end. There were other balls in the air, and say what you want about Penders, but I don't think you can fairly say that Endgame wasn't about Sonic, at least in significant part.

You know another quirk I noticed about Ken's writing, Nightwing? It's his inability to have characters finish sentences without saying the name of the character they're addressing, ShroomZ! Like we're too stupid to realise who each person is talking to, QuantumEdge.

Here's an example:

9lMlB2C.png

With more unnecessarily bolded words to boot.

While I'd have to re-read the story to be sure (and lord knows I don't want to do that), I wonder if it's not following a more common convention from back in the day meant to get new readers up to speed. "Every issue is someone's first," and all of that.

Here's a whole Transformers Wiki entry on the concept.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I'd have to re-read the story to be sure (and lord knows I don't want to do that), I wonder if it's not following a more common convention from back in the day meant to get new readers up to speed. "Every issue is someone's first," and all of that.

I think the comics nowadays pull it off better by just putting a box on a character when they're introduced.

• Thumbs Up 5

I kind of disagree. Sonic was the fugitive framed for Sally's murder. Contrived, sure, but in the end, it was Sonic and the rallied Geoffrey, Knuckles, and Dulcy that managed to turn the tide in Knothole after everyone was captured.

Really, the Sonic thread ran through it from beginning to end. There were other balls in the air, and say what you want about Penders, but I don't think you can fairly say that Endgame wasn't about Sonic, at least in significant part.

Meh, I guess it works, but it's incredibly cheesy. 

@Zaysho, when I tried getting into the book as a kid, it was in the early 120's, where I was suckered by J. Axer's art (it was Heart Held Hostage). Then I was assaulted by zero context dead, green Knuckles watching his own funeral. His recaps where some of the most overly compmicated garbage; he merely LISTED past events, not actually explain them.

• Thumbs Up 4

@Zaysho, when I tried getting into the book as a kid, it was in the early 120's, where I was suckered by J. Axer's art (it was Heart Held Hostage). Then I was assaulted by zero context dead, green Knuckles watching his own funeral. His recaps where some of the most overly compmicated garbage; he merely LISTED past events, not actually explain them.

Special mention goes to the "We evolve to a higher plane" and "everyone lives on their own plane of existence" mumbo-jumbo. 

Meh, I guess it works, but it's incredibly cheesy. 

No question about that, but it was just more of a thing in comics back in the day. At least licensed ones, I think, since they had product to sell besides the book.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't believe the comic was still selling well at the time. You'd think everyone would roll their eyes and give up the moment they read Sonic and Knuckles dealing with life issues instead of fighting Dr Eggman and his minions!

It lasted for YEARS too, so it's no wonder that by the time I was introduced to the comic (2004), the comic was still going through its Dark Ages and fans and non-fans alike mocked the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe the comic was still selling well at the time. You'd think everyone would roll their eyes and give up the moment they read Sonic and Knuckles dealing with life issues instead of fighting Dr Eggman and his minions!

I cant even sit through a single issue. Every story at that time is either some sitcom style issue but really melodramatic because the writers think that melodramatic is cool, or it's a bunch of technobabble that nobody can understand. 

Anyway... 

tumblr_nh5rim9n2Q1u4is2oo1_1280.png

tumblr_nh0ohjLymp1u4is2oo1_1280.png\

I don't know if these picture's been posted on here yet, but it shows how creative Penders is when it comes to creating new characters. 

I cant even sit through a single issue. Every story at that time is either some sitcom style issue but really melodramatic because the writers think that melodramatic is cool, or it's a bunch of technobabble that nobody can understand. 

Anyway... 

I don't know if these picture's been posted on here yet, but it shows how creative Penders is when it comes to creating new characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus the fact that it's a ripoff of Superman's origin story, with a event meaning certain doom for the species. Only difference is the fact they survived. 

As for Green Knuckles, wouldn't it have been much easier to just simply have it as ''World in danger, Knuckles gains brand new power but in process, is believed dead, and here he is now, watching his funeral in order not to gain any unneeded attention''? Oh right, This is Ken Penders and he has to make everything as convoluted as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles with a turd on his head, Knuckles with eyelashes, Knuckles with bow in his hair, the Brown Knuckles Triplets...

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway...

• Thumbs Up 3

I realize that there wasn't a lot to go in those days, what with Knucles being the only example of his kind out there, but come ON! Was it really that difficult to at least *try* and do something more significant than adding a hairstyle or a pair of tits??

• Thumbs Up 1

I realize that there wasn't a lot to go in those days, what with Knucles being the only example of his kind out there, but come ON! Was it really that difficult to at least *try* and do something more significant than adding a hairstyle or a pair of tits??

tumblr_nh28jtiT2R1u4is2oo1_1280.png

And slave Knuckles

...& Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles &...

• Thumbs Up 4