Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Wait, why is Mr. Superscience using sails to move the island around? "Even" Robotnik figured out to use rocket engines.

Environmental Consciousness?

• Thumbs Up 1

...& Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles & Slave Knuckles &...

tumblr_inline_nh28jguzU81qglk3d.png

Wait, why is Mr. Superscience using sails to move the island around? "Even" Robotnik figured out to use rocket engines.

Their probably trying to be eco or something. This was the mid 90s when everything was about being green.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_ngz8sfjTeV1u4is2oo1_1280.png

Let's also not forget about Goatee Knuckles, Knuckles' weird suicide dad. 

Man, I remember feeling bad that I couldn't get into the Knuckles Comics when I was a kid. There was always a feeling that these comics had a very different tone to them in comparison to the Sonic Comics I always used to buy.  I recall only buying one issue of the Knuckles comic, and that was only because continued from a Sonic Comic. 

Years later, It really seems I haven't been missing much. Looking back at them, the comics still feel pretty different from the Sonic series, and at times felt like it really wanted to be its own thing. Considering some of Ken's tweets and actions, I guess that was the case. 

Still following this topic, mostly lurking since everyone usually says what needs to be said, but every now and then, I take a look at Ken's tweets and shake my head at what he says. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Attach sails to the island to fly it around like a giant sky boat

profit

All you need is 8000 of you're identical friends to help you build it and you're ready to go!

Years later, It really seems I haven't been missing much. Looking back at them, the comics still feel pretty different from the Sonic series, and at times felt like it really wanted to be its own thing. Considering some of Ken's tweets and actions, I guess that was the case. 

tumblr_nh0r04Q2mU1u4is2oo1_1280.png

It was different in the sense that none of this should be in a comic about Sonic the Hedgehog or in any children's comic at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

All you need is 8000 of you're identical friends to help you build it and you're ready to go!

tumblr_nh0r04Q2mU1u4is2oo1_1280.png

It was different in the sense that none of this should be in a comic about Sonic the Hedgehog or in any children's comic at all. 

...Wow, yes, this kind of "deep" stuff is so perfect for a kids comic.

Yeesh, No wonder these comics bored me when I was a kid... I would always try to read them, but I remember getting really bored. And to think I'd feel bad over getting so bored. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeesh, No wonder these comics bored me when I was a kid... I would always try to read them, but I remember getting really bored. And to think I'd feel bad over getting so bored. 

These comics are probably some of the most boring things ever created. Its stuff like this that makes me wonder how the Sonic comics are still alive today. 

I remember when I first learned of all the Archie Sonic spin-offs and past issues in Sonic Mega Collection and, in particular, how amazing the Knuckles covers looked and how awesome I imagined the stories would be.

Then I finally snagged one of the old Archie collectors sets and...yeah.

• Thumbs Up 5

I remember when I first learned of all the Archie Sonic spin-offs and past issues in Sonic Mega Collection and, in particular, how amazing the Knuckles covers looked and how awesome I imagined the stories would be.

It's even more of a mystery how the Knuckles series lasted 32 issues. Like, did kids seriously buy these in the 90s? And did they actually read them?

Knuckles with a turd on his head,

Pretty sure that's Kayla-Na, female. Because it's so easy to tell. 

Meanwhile, this was Doctor Zachary, Sonic the Comic's effort of an Echidna, before he got his robotics and became even more distinct;

STC65-Zachary.jpg

And this is when a French company was supposed to be doing a Sonic 3 adaptation but apparently got so confused that they made a different character instead of Knuckles.

Princess_Alucion_v2.png

This one was supposed to be analogous to Knuckles and still looks less like him!

• Thumbs Up 8

Again, it probably comes down to it being during Sonic's most popular period. By the time it ended, it was around Sonic Adventure and when Sonic's highest peak of popularity had already gone down. Penders claims it's because Walmart stopped selling issues but that's a load of bs, it's likely because he was such a terrible writer.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what? I was reading the Knuckles stories in Sonic The Comic a few days ago, and it's really night and day. 

The reason the Fleetway Knuckles stories were actually GOOD. You know why? First of all, they didn't drag on forever. And they also had a competent writer, Nigel Kitching. Nigel was great at fleshing out Knuckles, as Knuckles actually had a personality, and he didn't spend the whole time muttering to himself and wandering around.

Also, a lot of the Fleetway Knuckles stories revolved around the Master and Chaos Emeralds. You know, the things that Knuckles are supposed to be guarding?? 

Fleetway Knuckles stories were also a lot better, since they had a lot of cool action. 

One story had to do with the Carnival Night Zone and ended with Knuckles PUNCHING THE WHOLE ZONE OFF THE ISLAND. 

0d7u9U3.jpg

Another had to do with him fighting an ancient robot piloted by doctor Zachary, another Echidna who happened to be evil. 

stc66_knuckles_p5_by_handtoeye-d3kugb3.j

It's probably just because the Fleetway ones had interesting characters and plots you cared about. 

And the art was pretty damn good too. 

Again, it probably comes down to it being during Sonic's most popular period. By the time it ended, it was around Sonic Adventure and when Sonic's highest peak of popularity had already gone down. Penders claims it's because Walmart stopped selling issues but that's a load of bs, it's likely because he was such a terrible writer.

Yeah. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. 

To think that Sonic the Comic's Zachary was, at the time, much more unique than Archie's countless red/dark red Knuckles clones.

Same here lol. I saw the epic Knuckles cover art, read scans of the comic online and finished three issues before I got really, really bored.

Same here lol. I saw the epic Knuckles cover art, read scans of the comic online and finished three issues before I got really, really bored.

Archie had a lot of really misleading covers in those days. They were usually good Spaziante art so you think the issue was going to be real cool, but the story turns out to be really boring and the art sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

To think that Sonic the Comic's Zachary was, at the time, much more unique than Archie's countless red/dark red Knuckles clones.

Not only that, but from memory Zachary came before Penders started inserting all his other Echidnas into the Archie Sonic universe, before his first Archie Knuckles mini-series. Regardless of his past boasting claims that he did it first.

It's been pointed out to him that the French and British did it before him but he simply shakes it off by using the "I had never heard/seen/read any of these before" excuse and continues his ramblings of how he built up Knuckles better than anyone else and was the first to use other echidnas etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe that Pendejo's constant defense of why all the echidnas look like clones of Knuckles is that 'they have to look like him, they're the same species/related to him'.

Which we know is bull.

And on the subject of reading the comics as a kid, I bought them but didn't enjoy them (they were related to Sonic so I had to have them, even if I didn't like them). I still read them of course because it was something to read- though I vividly remember going to the grocery store one night followed by going to Burger King to eat, and sitting there trying to read the KtE comic but also being so uncomfortable with what I was reading that I was constantly trying to hide the actual interior of the comic from my parents.

Actually, another uncomfortable KtE memory- having to ask my father what 'syringe' meant because Locke said it.

• Thumbs Up 8

Funny thing- Athair doesn't look like that much of a Knuckles clone.

Athair also proceeded any of Pendejo's echidna designs and still looked like an echidna while being distinct.

Why were Pendejo's so bad again?

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, one thing I found notable? Athair had a lot more personality when he debuted, but when Penders wrote him, it all vanished. Uncanny, ain't it?

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not beyond reason that Knuckles' family shares at least some semblence to him. Hell, even Uncle Chuck greatly resrmbled Sonic with gray brows n stache and a slightly ligher blue coloring.

The problem is that Pen always falls into that trap when it comes species. Alicia was a dead ringer for at least the 25YL version of Adult Queen Sally, to the point you could theorize that Sally was really a clone of her mother; Elias is similar but at least had a few other distinguishers.

Rob O'the Hedge was basically a seafoam green Sonic.

Ironically the only character with family who doesn't look like a clone is Tails with his parents. And that's only because of his sudden (and unlike Sonic and Amy's, UNEXPLAINED) Modern redesign. And even that was serendipity; originally Tails was just like all the others when he had his brown fur coloring.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, one thing I found notable? Athair had a lot more personality when he debuted, but when Penders wrote him, it all vanished. Uncanny, ain't it?

If you look at how Penders has written every other character that is or isn't his... it just seems par for the course.

• Thumbs Up 2

Plus the fact that it's a ripoff of Superman's origin story, with a event meaning certain doom for the species. Only difference is the fact they survived.

...Really? The mere fact that the existence of a species is being threatened means it's a Superman ripoff?

I'm sorry but just...no. It's not. That's way too generic.

I'm probably coming across as rude, which I'm sorry for. It just annoys me when people reach to find flaws in Penders' work when the real flaws in his work are so huge.

• Thumbs Up 2