Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

@ShroomZ, actually the Julie-Su page was drawn by Manny Galan, who IS a better artist than Pen. Tho knowing how controlling he is, Pen might have drawn breakdowns for Galan to follow. It certainly is as lazy as a typical Pen layout.

Oh, well I'm sorry. As you said, Ken could have tole Manny to draw that picture several times for whatever reason. 

Oh, well I'm sorry. As you said, Ken could have tole Manny to draw that picture several times for whatever reason. 

Fun fact; a lot of people complained to Penders about the various shout-outs to Star Wars in the comic, most glaringly the fact that Nic the Weasel evidently has the Millenium Falcon. When confronted with this, Pen liked to claim that it was all because of the artists (Manny) and he had nothing to do with it, even though as a writer he would have had input into what was being made. 

And of course, there's the fact that later on, he'd flat out lift a Klingon Bird of Prey for a later story, one that HE drew...

Fun fact; a lot of people complained to Penders about the various shout-outs to Star Wars in the comic, most glaringly the fact that Nic the Weasel evidently has the Millenium Falcon. When confronted with this, Pen liked to claim that it was all because of the artists (Manny) and he had nothing to do with it, even though as a writer he would have had input into what was being made. 

And of course, there's the fact that later on, he'd flat out lift a Klingon Bird of Prey for a later story, one that HE drew...

WOW. I mean wow. My apatheticness towards Penders has grown more and more into a hatred the longer I've been on here, and I think this is the last straw. 

He really did that? A few months ago, I though he was just a shitty writer and artist. I didn't know he was such a egomaniac and did things like this. I didn't know he would blame things on people when it was really his fault. I didn't know he was such a shit head and thought he was perfect. I didn't know he would have an 8 year old level of jealousy towards other people. Penders is fucking scum. 

It is done.

I'm safe.

No.

IT JUST MEANS YOU'LL GET A KEN PENDERS REDESIGN!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Yeah, seems like there are no rules, just whatever Penders decides suits him on a whim.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was reading "First Contact" in the Sonic Triple Trouble special and I don't think there's any other issue that properly displays how boring Knuckles is. Seriously. The whole story is just him running around and thinking to himself. It's unbelievable. Every fucking panel has text and the majority of them don't need it. 

33.jpg

35.jpg

38.jpg

Those are only some of the pages. Seriously, it doesn't help that Penders' Knuckles is the most boring character ever. It's just him thinking what you're probably thinking. Usually I'm exaggerating a bit when I say that the whole story is just Knuckles wandering around and muttering to himself but is just that. 

I also tried reading issue 32 of the knuckles miniseries but I think I'll just show this page because it explains everything... 

11.jpg

WHO THE FUCK ARE THOSE PEOPLE

• Thumbs Up 2

I also tried reading issue 32 of the knuckles miniseries but I think I'll just show this page because it explains everything... 

11.jpg

WHO THE FUCK ARE THOSE PEOPLE

Kraven the Hunter slumming about between jobs for Marvel, and an extra from the old Planet of the Apes movie willing to sacrifice all dignity for the sake of a bit more cash. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Penders planned to have a twist ending that showed Knuckles was the wicked witch of the west and that's why he always looks like hes melting when Penders draws him.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Knuckles in that last page?

• Thumbs Up 3

Kraven the Hunter slumming about between jobs for Marvel, and an extra from the old Planet of the Apes movie willing to sacrifice all dignity for the sake of a bit more cash. 

Okay, but answer this. 

WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE IN MY SONIC COMIC

Maybe Penders planned to have a twist ending that showed Knuckles was the wicked witch of the west and that's why he always looks like hes melting when Penders draws him.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Knuckles in that last page?

What the hell is wrong with his neck? It looks like he put a plastic collar around it. 

Penders Wills It. 

In all seriousness, that would be Hunter and Monk, villian and antagonist from the last story arc of the Knuckles comic, and the worst story of the series... even Penders claims he wasn't satisfied with it. 

Monk remains one of the biggest points of anger for me regarding the entire Knuckles series, because everything about him is just monstrously unfair, and because his story reveals all KINDS of ugly implications about the Brotherhood. Monk himself is not particularly sympathetic; his backstory is that he was Knuckles' bully when they were kids, and Monk stole his yo-yo. The Brotherhood, who didn't intervene when Robotnik had weaponized the entire island, decided to take matters into their own hands... by kidnapping Monk in the dead of night, tying him up, and THROWING him off the Island's edge. 

Yes. They attempted to murder a kid. Over a stinking yo-yo. 

And of course, once Monk manages to come back after years, NONE of this is brought up by him, and Monk gets to die for real. It's... maddening. 

Is this really real? I want to know what goes on inside of Penders' head to write this stupid bullshit dodo garbage for a comic about Sonic The Hedgehog. 

That Monk guy is ugly to look at and doesn't look like a Sonic character at all. He makes the Echidnas look appealing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, it is, and to this day I'd like to know that too. He's been asked about it once or twice, and justified it as the Brotherhood 'sending a message'... while dodging the fact that they attempted to murder a fucking kid. 

Gah, I remembered this comic during work today on my break, and I was going to post about it.

This one stood out to my younger self, but not in a good way. Remember when I said how I always had the feeling that the Knuckles Comics felt like it wasn't related to the sonic series? Well, when this first came out, that all but confirmed that feeling I had. Can't believe it took me until the final issue (I believe this is the final issue) to make me realize that.  All I could think about was how it looked like typical 90s EXTREEEEEME comic, not related to the sonic series whatsoever... but with Knuckles slapped onto the cover.

Just... Yeaaaaah. What the hell was this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ken Penders is kinda a psycho. I know I just blew your mind there.

Simian looks better, but even back then he looked pretty un-Sonic like. But everyone looked un-Sonic like back then. The newer artists are much better at creating characters that look like Sonic.

Yeah,but Monk...

Knuckles31.jpg

Just, WHY.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry, friend. The fever dream comes and goes.

I just feel thankful I never grew up reading this particular series, least not to the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles31.jpg

Just, WHY.

And on that issue I found this letter (red emphasis is mine):

Hello, Mr. Penders.

It feels pretty cool just to write to you. I am a big fan and collector of the Sonic and Knuckles comic books. The only complaint I have about the Knuckles comic is that the story artwork has gotten downright terrible (not to pin the blame on anyone...Chris Allan), but I've always loved the cover art. I've really grown to love the stories.

I like all the drama, politics, and romance. It is nice to see that the Knuckles comic hasn't turned into just another brainless action beat-em-up comic. Thanks for making the Knuckles comic such a joy to read!

Jayson

We're sorry Chris wasn't your cup of tea. Jayson. Part of the problem, as we have seen over the years happen with many series, is that when the fas are used to a particular creative team on a book for such a long stretch, as Ken, Manny and Andrew were over the first 20 issues of this series, they are resistant to change, any change, no matter how good the stories and art are. However, if an artist stays on a book long enough, more often than not, he /she usually wins them over.

Scan of the letter:

Ifi6rOq.jpg

What called my attention was that the letter did the same criticism that was made here, about the bad interior art, while praising the cover artwork. There is not the name of who replied to the letter, it could be either the editor or Ken Penders. My bet is on Penders because of the style: he disqualify the opinion, ignores the bad quality and call it "good", and places the blame on the reader. It is worth noting that there is yet another catch here: even though the criticism was published, the letter also had some praise. Ironically, this praise was about elements that were  often criticized here and in other places.

Back then, when Internet weren't so widespread the letters section of the comics were pretty much the only public place were readers could voice their concerns. And since this place was in total control of the comic publisher, then he could "massage" what got printed or not, and also to have "the final word" on the matter. That way he could give the impression that a crappy comic was more loved than it actually was. This "technique" became moot with the advent of the Internet, when it got far easier to notice that many people are not liking the direction of a series (not that it prevents some publishers from trying anyways...)

But now, thanks to the Internet, it became more apparent that Ken Penders' stories weren't so widely loved as he claimed to be.

• Thumbs Up 6

Everybody liking the comic in the 90s just turned out to be more Penders propaganda.

What a twist.

And on that issue I found this letter (red emphasis is mine):

Scan of the letter:

Ifi6rOq.jpg

What called my attention was that the letter did the same criticism that was made here, about the bad interior art, while praising the cover artwork. There is not the name of who replied to the letter, it could be either the editor or Ken Penders. My bet is on Penders because of the style: he disqualify the opinion, ignores the bad quality and call it "good", and places the blame on the reader. It is worth noting that there is yet another catch here: even though the criticism was published, the letter also had some praise. Ironically, this praise was about elements that were  often criticized here and in other places.

Back then, when Internet weren't so widespread the letters section of the comics were pretty much the only public place were readers could voice their concerns. And since this place was in total control of the comic publisher, then he could "massage" what got printed or not, and also to have "the final word" on the matter. That way he could give the impression that a crappy comic was more loved than it actually was. This "technique" became moot with the advent of the Internet, when it got far easier to notice that many people are not liking the direction of a series (not that it prevents some publishers from trying anyways...)

But now, thanks to the Internet, it became more apparent that Ken Penders' stories weren't so widely loved as he claimed to be.

I basically garuntee you that Pendejo wrote that response since

1. He frequently answered fanmail
  2. It sounds just like him
  3. He listed himself first while listing the artistic talent despite rarely drawing for the book and not being any fucking good.
  • Thumbs Up 9

Who hears the name "Archimedes" and thinks "he-she-it"? Pretty sure that's pretty solidly a dude's name. 

Ken's inability to understand sayings astounds me. Waking up on the wrong side of the bed means someone's cranky, not that they upset the delicate balance of nature and made it hate them or whatever Knuckles is implying there. 

"Here's mud in your eye!" That's a new one. And it apparently means "Here's to you", so...don't think it fits here, either. Even as a quip. 

I thought it was J. Jonah Jameson practicing for when he finally goes out to catch Spider-Man himself. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I basically garuntee you that Pendejo wrote that response since

1. He frequently answered fanmail
  2. It sounds just like him
  3. He listed himself first while listing the artistic talent despite rarely drawing for the book and not being any fucking good.

I would bet money on it being him. It reads exactly like one of his usual responses to criticism, ESPECIALLY the 'you only dislike it because you aren't used to it' spiel.

• Thumbs Up 7