Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Don't worry, all we need to do is just draw goatees on our avatars and we can all stay.

I would bet money on it being him. It reads exactly like one of his usual responses to criticism, ESPECIALLY the 'you only dislike it because you aren't used to it' spiel.

On a completely different note, I found this picture that was airbrushed by Penders. 

SSS2_Limited_Print_LoRes1.jpg

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks it's awful? What the hell is up with Tails' muzzle? It looks like it's made out of metal or something! 

Dulcy looks pretty awful too. 

I don't know, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but something about it is really off. Whenever Ken colours something, it always comes out looking disgusting. 

Actually, this drawing probably looked disgusting enough. 

Lien-DaFA1.jpg

I bet this picture of Lien-Da was probably posted before, but JUST LOOK AT IT. 

Meh, the Lien-Da pic is just too dark, and the anime eyes are eugh. But it's not as creepy compared to the CGI version of Lien-Da IMO.

Also, I remember getting several comics (with random numbers) and I read issue 50 (The Big Goodbye). Aside from the overusage of bold words, I go to the first page (which recaps what has happened so far)... does the font have to be this fancy? Especially bolded?

And then some of the dialogue in the comic, Ken did not do the entire script, several others worked on the scripts in different pages. But 'You totally e-mailed that move, redbone!" That sounded odd for some reason.

FOOLS! He'll get his name changed with apostrophies too!

Wit'ty Use'rnam'e

You have had your username penderized, it now looks awful. Oh right, still need to add that final Penders meme. Isn't that right Sir Calamari.

There we go, three awful writing techniques all used by Penders in the same post.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's funny to think people got so on his case for that Lien-Da and the other drawings in a similar style. After everything we've seen, they don't look so bad now. In comparison, I mean. 

In comparison it doesn't. But he's not allowed to use that style anymore. I believe that was a little bit of the settlement we got to hear about- that his stuff couldn't have the Sonic "look and feel", which is why they're stretched out 'aliens' now.

They may be not so bad in comparison, but they're still disgusting to look at. It's like comparing a piece of shit to a slightly worse piece of shit.

EDITED BECAUSE I WAS WRONG.

Pendejo didn't write most of the series, I was thinking about the issue he did* and then retroactively thinking that he did the rest.

*Or I thought he did. There's a good possibility I'm wrong and I hate spreading misinformation.

This reminds me.

Pendejo didn't just cause problems in Sonic, but in the NiGHTS mini-series Archie did as well.

tumblr_inline_nokdk4DjjQ1riqydh_400.png

Just read that faux-medieval dribble. The whole tone of the books was extremely bizarre for a story that was supposed to be about a fantasy dream world as it got bogged down with castles and medieval type blabber.

It's sad to see other series get "Penderdied" too, bit that's pretty par for the Penders course. Uncomfortable looking art, over explained gibberish that tries to be serious, completely missing the tone of the series.

Wait, Penders did the NiGHTS mini? Fuck. I never played that (though it's sitting in my steam, hrm...) but I can already guarantee that 1) Penders never played it either, and 2) it was thus completely horrible. Even without having read anything more than an occasional panel scan.

And, here, I'd thought for years that (while I'd heard they were horrid) the NiGHTS mini were at least handled by a different crew. *sigh*

(I admit I was def. into the generic anime/manga style at about that time, but even then, I'd have considered this style weird for a western-developed comic, especially when it didn't really have any real mastery or unique flavor to it to make it at least interesting or competent. This is just....)

Wait, Penders did the NiGHTS mini? Fuck. I never played that (though it's sitting in my steam, hrm...) but I can already guarantee that 1) Penders never played it either, and 2) it was thus completely horrible. Even without having read anything more than an occasional panel scan.

And, here, I'd thought for years that (while I'd heard they were horrid) the NiGHTS mini were at least handled by a different crew. *sigh*

(I admit I was def. into the generic anime/manga style at about that time, but even then, I'd have considered this style weird for a western-developed comic, especially when it didn't really have any real mastery or unique flavor to it to make it at least interesting or competent. This is just....)

I never played Nights either but I can tell from that single panel that he completely fucked it up.

It certainly wasn't a good comic series.

I just absolutely hate spreading misinformation. Like I feel like I'm going to be ill when I see someone repeat something I said that was wrong.

It's even worse-so because there's so much misinformation surrounding Pendejo already. I'd rather people dislike him for things he's actually done rather than rumors and sensationalism, so the idea of contributing with that gets under my skin. It's like people contributing every single bad thing in the comic to him, when really something was Bollers idea, etc. Like Pendejo getting blamed for 'the slap' despite having nothing to do with it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeeeah, just to be clear, Dan Slott and Karl Bollers were responsible for the script of the first NiGHTS series. And Bollers handled the second series. I had to look it up, but that's how the credits read.

Penders was nowhere near it. Like Verb said, there's enough about Penders out there, and he does enough on his own already to make himself look like a clown, we really don't need to make the extra effort.

But man, Galan and Maxwell really butchered Spaz's breakdowns when they did the finishes. What the hell happened? I haven't read the series myself, aside from the final issue, and I remember I didn't like the art and had no idea what was even going on with it. I'm not sure how accurate it is to the original game as I haven't played it either, but knowing that Gabrie was in charge of editing this too, and SEGA's lax attitude about providing Archie with materials, I'm going to assume it wasn't.

I thought Shroom was talking about the art. It looks like Penders' usual awful style, with huge manga eyes and everything.

I thought Shroom was talking about the art. It looks like Penders' usual awful style, with huge manga eyes and everything.

It's not his art though. Awful as it is, it doesn't even look like his typical stiff, expressionless art. I'm more shocked that Spaz was partially responsible, but I attribute the really shitty off-model look of it to Sam Maxwell and Manny Galan not really getting the style and butchering it along the way, because the covers (aside from the colors) and frontispieces look good.

Like, criticize the artwork, that's fine, it does look bad, but don't automatically assume every piece of bad art or writing was Penderized.

I guess it was the eyes that had me convinced. They looked a bit like how he did them, from what I recall. Though, frankly, I am actually relieved that it wasn't Penders. Like I said, I had previously assumed that it was a different team. Glad to know it actually was. Even if it was horrible in the end, it was at least a different type of horrible. 

It being Spaz doesn't surprise me too much. I recall him going through an anime/manga phase about the time the craze really hit mainstream. I mean, there's that cover for StH#94. That face for Mina *shudder* (apparently, there was a beta version, which was much less weird, though still gave Mina an anime-ish look). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was talking about the art. I looked it up and apparently Spaziante did the breakdowns and Gallan and Maxwell horribly raped the art as Zaysho said. I thought it was Penders too because it looked just about as uncomfortable and bland as Penders' normal art.

Verb & Noun, I'm sorry as I thought that Penders was the one who wrote and did the art for the series and I immediately jumped on the hate wagon without much thought.

Wit'ty Use'rnam'e

I'll change my username to this if someone makes a Penderized Mordin Solus avatar.

Apparently, I'm a masochist.

• Thumbs Up 4

someone makes a Penderized Mordin Solus avatar.

Someone do this please.

For shits and giggles I've decided to review the original 3 issue Knuckles miniseries. The reason? Well, apparently this is what encouraged Archie staff to make the full Knuckles series. So, I want to see what's so amazing in these 3 issues that could make them want to create a whole series. 

Issue 1 starts with . . . I know I'm going to blow your mind . . . Knuckles wandering around and thinking to himself. RIVETING. 

05.jpg

Well, what Knuckles is actually trying to do is find Archimedes, some random dude who gives Knuckles lessons and randomly kidnapped the Chaotix. There's been seriously like three stories before this that are just Knuckles wandering around and wondering who Archimedes is.

If you think I'm kidding, the story itself gives you basically a summary of what's happened before this. 

10.jpg

11.jpg

So basically, every Knuckles story before this was just him wandering around and thinking of the past. 

Knuckles then finds a gun through the power of asspull and shoots down a door, which shows the Chaotix partying with Archimedes, who turns out to be a fucking ant. 

Then Enkerjak shows up out of nowhere and and then everyone stands around and talks a lot. 

22.jpg

FINALLY Something happens as Enerjak takes hold of the Chaotix. But then he teleports Knuckles and Archimedes to a desert and the issues ends there. 

So this issues was basically a lot of standing around and talking and some more exposition forced on you if you were fortunate enough to not read the Knuckles stories that came before this which were also a lot of standing around and talking and more forced exposition. 

The second issue starts with Knuckles and Archimedes wandering around and talking, because that's apparently a Penders fetish. 

They then fight some huge worm and it dies by hitting a rock. That fight lasted 3 pages out of a 21 page comic. 

I find this next picture kind of hilarious

tumblr_nhbm3xKZbM1u4is2oo1_1280.png

Remember Archimedes is this dude who was basically stalking Knuckles, and bothering him and kidnapping his friends for like the past 5 stories, but now their just fucking chilling in the fucking desert even though Enerjak is on the loose now, and the Chaotix are in huge danger. 

We then get another three pages of boring exposition of how the Fire ants saved the Echidnas, but I'll spare you this time. 

I don't know why their just sitting around and talking when they should be trying to find Enerjak.

And then there's another particularly funny part because of how out of place and random it is. 

15.jpg

Was the story like a page short or something? 

Knuckles then has an acid trip of his father motivating him I guess. 

17.jpg

Seriously. This issue feels like it's been going on for a year.

Then they spend another three pages standing around and talking, before finding Enerjak's spooky city. Maybe somebody can answer me, but why would Enerjak build some city when he's got Chaos Emerald powers? Why doesn't he just go blow shit up and take over the world that way? 

There's some action where Knuckles fights some robots, which I guess were built by Enerjak for . . . some reason.

This issue ends with Knuckles staring at the brainwashed Chaotix so you know a huge fight will break out. But we are going to have to wait till next issue till that happens. 

This issue can be summarized as wandering around and talking too, but at least there was a little bit of action and Knuckles is talking to SOMEBODY instead of just muttering to himself. 

I'll do issue 3 soon, but I'm going to eat dinner first. 

• Thumbs Up 5