Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I highly doubt Pendejo actually knows what's in the game. All he knows is what's been reported to him and him saying that, supposedly, the people who worked on the game came to him asking questions at some point.

Like Monkey Destruction Switch said, I doubt he knows anything about Sonic Chronicles and the Nocturnus. 

But if he's actually trying to sue over Nocturnus being rip offs of the Dark Legion (knowing how differently they actually are) and if everybody else thought like Penders regarding that kind of situation, then practically nothing would ever be created again, as everything is basically inspired off something else. 

I can't imagine what else Penders can do to annoy SEGA. I really can't. He got what he wanted in the first place (well, sort of--nobody wants to pay his bogus licensing fees and with good reason), his case against SEGA was dismissed, another case he tried didn't even get through the door (I believe that was the Mega Collection bullshit)... what else is there? What is the point?

You know, a thought occurred to me: People keep pointing out that the Nocturnus and the Dark Legion aren't nearly as similar as Penders acts (he gives the impression that they're a wholesale rip-off, while in truth they're only inspired by basic concepts but executed very differently). But honestly, I think it's likely that Penders literally doesn't know this. I mean, just think about how much Penders cares about Sonic games: not at all. He probably didn't even bother to look into what the Nocturnus are actually like or what Shade is actually like; more likely someone just told him they were based on his concepts and he assumed they were completely copied.

Penders likes to think if it's remotely similar, then it has to be a rip-off. Of course, this is a one-way street for him. He can copy things wholesale (K'nox) and pick up anything Archie and SEGA aren't actually using (see his appropriation of Mobius), but God forbid someone is inspired by his own works. It's even more hilarious when one of the letters Penders published, by Clayton Emery to the copyright office, specifically says "Plot lines are not copyrightable. Only the words as written can be copyrighted." And yet, this man thinks he has a case and SEGA and Archie are too tired and fed up with his bullshit that they'll just avoid anything, even wholly SEGA owned concepts like the Nocturnus, just so they don't have to waste more money in court.

This post is dedicated to how wonderful Penders' art was in the mid 90s. 

r5QCqFS.png

You can tell this was made at a time when kids were starting to get obsessed with Anime

IRzAqC8.png

Sally's doing her chicken impression 

liFdR71.png

Sonic looks REALLY weird from the back and Sally looks like she couldn't care less.

Plus, Tails makes the worst fucking faces

kJRcjAF.png

SNIVLEY 

ARE YOU OKAY 

ipZA7X4.png

I guess not 

H4XDs4k.png

Tails, are you sick or something?? 

IsVN67r.png

You know what really pisses the hell out of me whenever Penders draws Tails? The way he drew his hair. He draws it as this huge mass of hair that stretches all the way across his forehead when it's only supposed to be 3 bangs on one side of his head. 

Plus I will be seeing that face in my nightmares 

SyMQwKZ.png

Please back up a few steps. 

hVv2dMh.png

Okay, what in the hell is THAT?? 

This... thing has no place in a Sonic the Hedgehog Comic. That looks nothing like anything that Should be in a Sonic comic.

tumblr_niddetXLuR1u4is2oo1_1280.png

You can so tell that Spaziante drew that decent looking Sonic while Penders drew everything else in this page. 

Those are all from Sonic Super Special 2. Penders' art is creepy as hell. All the Sonic characters look disfigured and have terrible faces, and the Archie exclusives look downright terrifying. 

• Thumbs Up 3

someones been on the "Thanks, Ken Penders" blog. XD crazy bad stuff though. that ungodly looking robian dog's existence keeps me up at night. 

• Thumbs Up 1

someones been on the "Thanks, Ken Penders" blog. XD crazy bad stuff though. that ungodly looking robian dog's existence keeps me up at night. 

Shit, you found me out! XD 

But seriously, I knew about a lot of these shitty stories, but "Thanks, Ken Penders" introduced me to this one and some others. 

That blog is fucking great. 

And that dog is horrifying. I think he ties with most of Tails' fucked up faces though. 

Pretty sure someone showed Pendurrs pictures of the Nocturnus and Shade on his forums, told him who they were and then Pendurrs got mad and wanted to sue Sega. This also happened about a year or two after Sonic Chronicles was released!

oh and lol @ Tails comb over

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure someone showed Pendurrs pictures of the Nocturnus and Shade on his forums, told him who they were and then Pendurrs got mad and wanted to sue Sega. This also happened about a year or two after Sonic Chronicles was released!

oh and lol @ Tails comb over

Fun fact; he actually went forward with his lawsuit AFTER the game had gone out of print and was making no more money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No, the worst one was when he claimed he was going to sue Sega over Sonic Mega Collection Plus due to having covers from Archie Sonic in the game. This was in 2014 he claimed this. The game came out in 2004.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, the worst one was when he claimed he was going to sue Sega over Sonic Mega Collection Plus due to having covers from Archie Sonic in the game. This was in 2014 he claimed this. The game came out in 2004.

It's even more bizarre when none of those covers are his artwork. I'm not even sure he inked many/any covers (though he'd be a hypocrite to use that as an excuse). I suppose some covers featured his characters... but the idea that he was seriously considering this in 2013--10 years after the original Mega Collection came out and had long since stopped being produced--is baffling to me. Actually, I believe the Mega Collection nonsense came right on the heels of the case against Chronicles being thrown out.

I don't even know how the Chronicles case got as far as it did considering he would've had to have made the case within months of its release, and the legal nonsense didn't start until 2010. I'm not sure if he and legal counsel just didn't know any better, and continued to insist they had a claim when they were specifically told they didn't, or he was really just trying to waste SEGA's time in the hopes they'd just give up and give him something.

It's even more bizarre when none of those covers are his artwork. I'm not even sure he inked many/any covers (though he'd be a hypocrite to use that as an excuse). I suppose some covers featured his characters... but the idea that he was seriously considering this in 2013--10 years after the original Mega Collection came out and had long since stopped being produced--is baffling to me. Actually, I believe the Mega Collection nonsense came right on the heels of the case against Chronicles being thrown out.

I don't even know how the Chronicles case got as far as it did considering he would've had to have made the case within months of its release, and the legal nonsense didn't start until 2010.

As you said, his case against SEGA was eventually tossed out. When Archie sued him and then subsequently proved their massive screwups it just sorta put things on hold. The whole thing is a tangled, convoluted knot, and the only reason I think it got as far as it did was due to stupid luck and nobody really believing he'd honestly do something so stupid.

• Thumbs Up 2

As you said, his case against SEGA was eventually tossed out. When Archie sued him and then subsequently proved their massive screwups it just sorta put things on hold. The whole thing is a tangled, convoluted knot, and the only reason I think it got as far as it did was due to stupid luck and nobody really believing he'd honestly do something so stupid.

Ah, that's right, the Archie case actually delayed the SEGA case, didn't it? Though, even if it hadn't, I feel like the result would have been the same considering he was seeking royalties from games that were no longer selling. Chronicles wasn't in print for more than a year. The Archie case is probably an even more convoluted mess because of that big, glaring contract problem.

Fair point, though. I just don't know what to make of this particular chapter because it's just so stupid.

hVv2dMh.png

Oh man…. I forgot about the missing member of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh man…. I forgot about the missing member of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza.

Actually you're wrong.

Poochy took a wrong turn on the way to his home planet and landed in Fazbear's. The animatronics just put his corpse over an endoskeleton.

r5QCqFS.png

You can tell this was made at a time when kids were starting to get obsessed with Anime

I can honestly say, you can blame Spaz for giving the Overlanders their ridonkulous anime hair. In a way, it's kind of cute with how pre-"weeaboo" it is. When he does it; not so much when it's Pen drawing it.

liFdR71.png

Sonic looks REALLY weird from the back and Sally looks like she couldn't care less.

H4XDs4k.png

IsVN67r.png

You know what really pisses the hell out of me whenever Penders draws Tails? The way he drew his hair. He draws it as this huge mass of hair that stretches all the way across his forehead when it's only supposed to be 3 bangs on one side of his head. 

Oh, god. That hair weave. If there was ever a reason why Tails so deserved his Modern design update, it was to ensure that we would never have to see that again.

SyMQwKZ.png

hVv2dMh.png

This... thing has no place in a Sonic the Hedgehog Comic. That looks nothing like anything that Should be in a Sonic comic.

You can so tell that Spaziante drew that decent looking Sonic while Penders drew everything else in this page. 

Those are all from Sonic Super Special 2. Penders' art is creepy as hell. All the Sonic characters look disfigured and have terrible faces, and the Archie exclusives look downright terrifying. 

Pen was trying WAY too hard with the Robians. The SatAM Robians were down right subtle in comparison during this era. Also, fully admit that the backgrounds are... alright, but it's completely underminded by the fact that Pen just cannot draw the actual characters decently at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails on this page particularly bothers me. I don't know, it just looks so lazy and stupid. And it seems like there was a lot of effort in drawing it that way, like they were purposely trying to make him look as ugly as possible. 

Like, was it just too hard to draw his bangs like this ? :

Tails01_32.png

THIS is how it should look from the front: 

nZkOY3K.png

Hell, even the American designs for Tails got this right... 

B8y8bODCcAAMGCl.jpg

Notice something? All of these drawings are much more cute and appealing than anything Penders ever made. 

Meh, I guess I could almost see why Penders drew his hair like that. It was probably his horrible interpetation of the DIC design going around at the time. 

In the DIC designs, Tails' bangs seemed to be more seamless and flowed into his head more smoothly than the other designs. 

adventures-of-sonic-the-hedgehog-5.png

But even then, the hair never flowed along his whole forehead like it did in Penders drawings. 

Even though I hate the DIC designs, it's still more appealing than anything in that comic. 

Also, Tails' shade of brown in the comics was particularly unappealing. I never liked it when Tails is brown, but it really was ugly here, even more ugly than the DIC cartoons. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention that it seemed that Pen always had to draw Tails' tails standing up right in nearly every panel he's not using them. It makes it look like Tails' namesakes are some kinda weird backpack.

Not to mention they look so huge, they look like friggin' poultry drumsticks rather than fox tails.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention that it seemed that Pen always had to draw Tails' tails standing up right in nearly every panel he's not using them. It makes it look like Tails' namesakes are some kinda weird backpack.

Not to mention they look so huge, they look like friggin' poultry drumsticks rather than fox tails.

Actually I hadn't really notice how huge and freaky his Tails looked until you just said it. 

Besides his awful hair, awful colour, and awful Tails, I think his face is the worst. He always had these creepy vapid expressions. 

IsVN67r.png

This picture seriously creeps me out. His eyes are messed up. 

And plus, the way that he always drew Tails with these huge eyebrows which don't fit him at all. 

And it's a crapshoot if Pen ever decides to draw even a blocky teeth line. To me, that's one of the big reasons his mouth looks so damn creepy when ever it's open.

But as for expressions, that's always been a universal problem for Pen's characters. Then the whole body became a greater problem for him in general, such as that Nack/Charmy/Chaos Knuckles backup from awhile back.

r5QCqFS.png

IRzAqC8.png

Sally's doing her chicken impression 

liFdR71.png

kJRcjAF.png

SNIVLEY 

ARE YOU OKAY 

ipZA7X4.png

I guess not 

H4XDs4k.png

IsVN67r.png

Plus I will be seeing that face in my nightmares 

SyMQwKZ.png

hVv2dMh.png

Again I remind you Penders calls this the most detailed art the Sonic book ever saw and nothing comes close to matching it.

Ben Bates? Pfft what a poser.

Steven Butler in his prime? Not worth shit!

This? This is the best the book has ever and will ever look.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again I remind you Penders calls this the most detailed art the Sonic book ever saw and nothing comes close to matching it.

Ben Bates? Pfft what a poser.

Steven Butler in his prime? Not worth shit!

This? This is the best the book has ever and will ever look.

Funny how he claims that on a book where he did most of the art. It's almost as if he's vastly overselling the fact that he actually PUT detail into things and for this fact alone the book is some kind of magnificent triumph. Weeeird. 

• Thumbs Up 5

@ErynnQ Anyone and everyone are welcome to email me comments and/or questions at KenPenders@thelara-suchronicles.com .

Ugh. He really got a email dedicated to answering questions about this project.

Well, mayhap someone should legitimately ask him questions about this new Thelara-Suchronicles project, and what happened to Lara-Su's book? :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Ugh. He really got a email dedicated to answering questions about this project.

Well, mayhap someone should legitimately ask him questions about this new Thelara-Suchronicles project, and what happened to Lara-Su's book? :P

He's claimed that it's due for this year's SDCC. Or at least he did. He has now amended that to 'something, one way or the other'. Of course.