Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Pretty sure someone showed Pendurrs pictures of the Nocturnus and Shade on his forums, told him who they were and then Pendurrs got mad and wanted to sue Sega. This also happened about a year or two after Sonic Chronicles was released!

oh and lol @ Tails comb over

I still would like to see the Nocturnus and Shade in the post Worlds Collide Archie Sonic universe...  ^_^ 

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, those pictures of Tails look weird.

And that dog drawing is the end result of a flawed legal system, as somebody in the forums put it.

I find it surprising that no one mentioned how horrible Snively looks. 

kJRcjAF.png

This does not belong anywhere near Sonic. His mouth has a bunch of stupid details drawn around it, and his eyes look lifeless. He looks like some creepy doll that would come alive and kill you or something. 

I don't understand why Penders was obsessed with drawing horrible huge eyebrows that don't fit any of the character's faces at all. The go all the way down his eyes and look really stupid. 

And the CHEEKBONES! Those freaking cheekbones, first of all, no human being in a Sonic comic should have facial details like that. It doesn't match any other character well. Plus, I don't remember Snively having terrifying details like that in Sonic SatAM. 

This is more than a Sonic problem. Those look terrifying and would look unsettling in any comic or drawing. I still get uncomfortable looking at that drawing. His face looks horribly deformed, the way those cheekbones stretch out, like his skin is meting off and he's like anorexic or something. 

It almost reminds me of this in a weird way: 

mgsetof6.jpg

This is probably the worst panel in that entire special. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I really wonder how often Penders has needed help in making his art "good" enough for the comics, but without any real credit. A lot of these panels really look like Spaz sketched out the scene, and then Penders redrew it and maybe added a few extra things just so it looks like his art. While the derpy penders art is there, so is Spaz's usual keen sense of movement and perspective that just makes a scene work better. Stuff Penders can barely do himself!

It kind of makes me want to go back and look through every Penders-drawn issue and see if quirks like that happen in those issues too. Just... moments of Pender's obvious lumpy and lazily posed play-doh, that suddenly turn on-model and expressive for a few panels, until going back to play-doh a few moments later. : X

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wonder how often Penders has needed help in making his art "good" enough for the comics, but without any real credit. A lot of those panels really look like Spaz sketched out the scene, and then Penders redrew it and maybe added a few extra things just so it looks like his art. While the derpy penders art is there, so is Spaz's usual keen sense of movement and perspective that just makes a scene work better. Stuff Penders can barely do himself!

It kind of makes me want to go back and look through every Penders-drawn issue and see if quirks like that happen in those issues too. Just... moments of Pender's obvious lumpy and lazily posed play-doh, that suddenly turn on-model and expressive for a few panels, until going back to play-doh a few moments later. : X

Actually, I don't think it happened very much. Most of the stories the Penders drew are sloppy and derpy all the way through with no real sense that Spaziante was drawing very much. 

I still don't understand that page where Spaziante drew that one Sonic and Penders drew everything else, including the other Sonic on that page. Like, did Penders have some emergency to run to and couldn't finish the page? XD 

That page does give a good example of how worse Penders was at drawing Sonic than Spaziante. Just look at how emotionless Sonic is in that top panel compared to the Spaziante one. 

I HATE the way Penders drew eyes. He drew these huge circular pupils, that have these stupid huge white reflections that make the pupils look like doughnuts.The pupils were way too huge in relation to the white parts of the eyes, and there was no emotion at all in anything.  

• Thumbs Up 2

His style of eyes look like he tried to copy older cartoons (Disney, Osamu Tezuka's work, ect) but failed miserably. They're blank and huge, and combined with his strange "realistic" features he gives his characters, they just don't look right at all.

I think one feature about his art that bugs me the most is the way he draws Mobian snouts/muzzles/ect. Those super swollen cheeks and realistic lips just irk me to no end. And most of the time he doesn't even know where the mouths go, so they do that really weird Angelica Pickles side-mouth thing. Super gross.

Also he always leaves that REALLY weird ink mark that's supposed to define the roundness of their faces or something. It just looks like they got stung by a bee or dozen. 8X

• Thumbs Up 2

I think one feature about his art that bugs me the most is the way he draws Mobian snouts/muzzles/ect. Those super swollen cheeks and realistic lips just irk me to no end. And most of the time he doesn't even know where the mouths go, so they do that really weird Angelica Pickles side-mouth thing. Super gross.

I hate how he always drew characters with lips while trying to keep the side mouth. It's fucking creepy. 

I also hate how he drew characters mouths from the front. They looked like puppets or something. 

His style of eyes look like he tried to copy older cartoons (Disney, Osamu Tezuka's work, ect) but failed miserably. They're blank and huge, and combined with his strange "realistic" features he gives his characters, they just don't look right at all.

Penders has no idea how to make characters emote, so they always just look like there staring off into space. One of the reasons why the pupils look so creepy is because he also has no idea how to correctly draw reflections. He always just drew a black circle with a enormous white circle on the inside so everyone eyes looked like black rings. It's creepy and lifeless. 

One thing that really bothers me is how Penders drew Sally's eyes. He always drew her eyelids pointing down so she always looked extremely tired and uninterested in what's going on. 

Eww that Haunted Mansion man > skeleton portrait is going to give me nightmares again. XP I see what you mean though, he can't draw cartoony humans like Snively for shit. Dem cheekbones, dat realistic looking mouth... *shudder*

And he still does this today, with those ugly wrinkly looking Echid'nya abominations. Hasn't changed a bit since more than a decade ago, amazing!

Eww that Haunted Mansion man > skeleton portrait is going to give me nightmares again. XP

That painting used to scare me too, but now I LOVE it.

I think the man in that portrait is Master Gracey, who's the man who hung himself in the stretching room and is the Ghost Host. The first painting where he's a man is what he looked like when he was alive, I guess. 

I actually find that painting rather cool as it is a quite smooth transition from man to corpse. Too bad the transformation usually starts too early and by the time you get into the foyer, he's already a skeleton. 

I see what you mean though, he can't draw cartoony humans like Snively for shit. Dem cheekbones, dat realistic looking mouth... *shudder*

It's extremely odd and creepy. The vapid eyes don't help the creepy detail either, it makes it even worse. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids got nightmares from that drawing. 

Pen can usually make more of an half-assed attempt at drawing humans (see his Star Trek comics and even some of the Lost Ones humans), but I have no idea why he fails so hard at drawing the more cartoony Snively and Robotnik.

Even Manny Galan during the Death Egg Saga drew Snively less creepily despite doing many of the same design choices (the super pronounced cheek bones for example).

My only guess is that Pen is more like Ron Lim than he cares to admit (more concerned with speed in getting pages done at the cost of design and detail) or he didn't feel he needed to put that much effort into, as he tried to put it, a 'talking furry' book despite the overwrought bull he put into it.

Here's the thing, though, he is not a fast artist whatsoever.

He has trouble with deadlines and I believe that's one of the reasons why he wasn't asked to continue work for the Star Trek comics.

Even Manny Galan during the Death Egg Saga drew Snively less creepily despite doing many of the same design choices (the super pronounced cheek bones for example).

Yeah, Manny's Snively looked less creepy. I think it's because first of all, Manny could actually draw expressive faces. Snively had more emotion and had better and exaggerated faces that were more fitting for him. The details that Manny gave him weren't as bad either. They still were weird but they weren't nearly as creepy, and there weren't as many unnecessary lines. His mouth looked a lot better, and there were no lips. The cheek bones weren't as large either. It was still ugly, but not nearly as bad.

And plus, Manny didn't draw eyes as black doughnuts.

Here's the thing, though, he is not a fast artist whatsoever.

He has trouble with deadlines and I believe that's one of the reasons why he wasn't asked to continue work for the Star Trek comics.

That's what I mean. His Star Trek stuff seemed to be better detailed and drawn compared to his Sonic stuff, yet he couldn't make deadlines as he kept taking his time to ensure the DS9 crew at least resembled their actors. So eventually the went to an artist who can draw on-model AND in a timely manner.

Even tho Lim always had trouble with art on the book (sans Eggman), his earlier stuff wasn't as bad as his later stuff (Sonic was less of a cyclops early on). But it seemed as time went on and Archie started leaning on him more, he decided getting pages done fast were higher priority than getting pages done right.

Pen just seemed to be content on being half assed on the book from the getgo (when Locke jumped into the Wall O Fire, his jacket which took up most of his body was just white, thin ovals for example). Because it was a funny animal book about a video game mascot for kids/all ages. To this day, he still expresses his embarrassment on working on it by completely demeaning Sonic and his games straight to the point.

Afterall, if Sonic ever got a movie, of course it would be based on concepts and stories based on Ken Penders, the 'only one who took Sonic seriously'; there's nothing else in that franchise that anyone would ACTUALLY take seriously! /sarcasm

• Thumbs Up 5

Pen just seemed to be content on being half assed on the book from the getgo (when Locke jumped into the Wall O Fire, his jacket which took up most of his body was just white, thin ovals for example). Because it was a funny animal book about a video game mascot for kids/all ages. To this day, he still expresses his embarrassment on working on it by completely demeaning Sonic and his games straight to the point.

Afterall, if Sonic ever got a movie, of course it would be based on concepts and stories based on Ken Penders, the 'only one who took Sonic seriously'; there's nothing else in that franchise that anyone would ACTUALLY take seriously! /sarcasm

Of course! Don't you always not give a single fuck about anything until a big deal comes around and then you claim "I'm the only one who cared"!? Happens to me all the time! 

But seriously, I do remember Penders thinking that the comic wasn't going to last very long and he though he didn't need to put much effort into it. A few years later, he thinks he was "The Sonic Saviour" or something. 

He's probably thinking right now "The Sonic series would have gone to hell if I hadn't stepped in and saved the comic, which also means the games in my little world."

Not really Pen Kenders news, but a little update on our old friend & Pen-Praiser FuhrerMustang over on tha Twitta.

It seems that ol' Roy here shares the same kind of viewpoint as such "lauded" individuals as Asaleri and Archfiend on Youtube (and maybe Pen? Forgot what his stance on Kickstarter is), such as when Ian Flynn announced the Kickstarter for Raiders of the Abyss, an individual project Flynn is doing independantly.

@StephenCarnaggi A full time employee at a major comic company has to e-beg? #JesusArchieisajoke https://www. patreon.com/IanFlynnBKC?ty=h …

@StephenCarnaggi If I were @ArchieComics I would be f-ing embarrassed. Their lead writer is on hipster welfare.

He should be making good money considering he writes like 4 books for Archie Comics. He should not even have to contemplate something like hipster welfare. But between this and poor Yardley always having to do side work I guess

Archie comics really is the TNA of the comic book world since like TNA, Archie seems to have half of their employees on food stamps. Oh well, it was nice to see their kickstarter fail as badly as it did. Serves them right.

Now, this is kinda old, and I'm sure was brought up when it was actually said (I think).

But this reminds me of a question: Just how in the hell is Pen actually funding this project?

He's said that he was low on money during his lawsuit, yet seems to be going full force on this trainwreck with little concern of capital. He's certainly got enough to make his convention standees of the cover and Lien-Diva, and has not expressed concerned with funding on printing thousands of copies of his book (if and) when the material for the first book is done. He can't have sold enough of his Acorn patches and eBay comics to feel safe; he certainly hasn't sold any of his phone cases. If nothing else, he's probably costing on his wife's money since, IIRC, she's a successful lawyer in her own right.

Yet crowdfunding an independant project is seen in the eyes of one of Pen's fans as being worse than presumably leeching money off of your spouse? I realize that Naugus Mustang has a certain hate boner for Ian, but wow.

Sorry if I covered old ground, but just to make up for it, here's a new bit of Pen Twittery.

ok can you at less awnser 1 question though In the event the Judge sided with Sega. How would this effect your book?

@Jawsisra This is not a response that should be read as arrogant or cocky, but I just don't see that happening for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't be doing all the work on the project I am if I thought it could all be flushed down the drain that easy.

Remember that Pen is confident that this is legal and in no way copyright infringing.

latest_1.jpg

latest.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh but let's not forget the fact that his name is K'Nox. Because that's nothing like Knuckles. At all.

On top of that, Naugus Mustang. I wonder does he even fucking realize that Ian needs that money in order to, you know live. Ken was able to leech money to do this shitty project as Biznizz mentioned. I know this might just shock him, but Ian is a human being, therefore, he needs that money in order to support himself? Not making projects. On top of that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with crowd funding. But then again, Mustang is likely too busy taking every chance to hate on Ian as he can get. No matter how idiotic. But then again, you can't expect anything less from a Penders fanboy.

Also, from playing Sonic Adventure again, I've come to actually appreciate the story more and it really fucking pisses me off every time Penders tries to act like ''he took Sonic seriously''. Sonic Adventure, while not perfect did a very good job with this. We got a plot of tragedy striking Knuckles' ancestors, a story that raises a whole ton of possibilities but isn't possible in Archie Sonic because of Penders' stupid clones. Every single character got a sub plot for themselves.

Sonic got the regular Sonic Vs Eggman subplot, Tails got the subplot of rising up and standing on your own two feet, Knuckles got a good subplot based around rediscovering what became of the Knuckles clan, giving him a bit more information into his role. He begins the game questioning why he was chosen for this, when he learns Tikal was willing to risk it all for protecting the master emerald from those who'd misuse it's power, Knuckles gains a bit more clarity and meaning.

Amy learns to stand up for herself and not always play the damsel in distress, and being capable on her own, Big got the subplot about fighting for his friends (even if it was badly done), and E102 Gamma got the subplot about not obeying his programming, and fighting for his free will. 

Then we got the trio of jackasses who gave us the Sonic Adventure plot. Which threw all of these out the window for cat country fucking bullshit, running about the city for no reason, and taking a dump on the final battle between Super Sonic and Knuckles. Quite honestly, I don't care what stupid bullshit Ken comes up with, because I only see his stories as one thing. Badly written, badly drawn, idiotic soup operas that were so tryhard, they make Shadow the Hedgehog look like Sonic Heroes. Sonic Adventure was like a love letter to Sonic fans who came from the classics to the new 3D games.

Many of the subplots from previous games being tied up, such as what occurred to Knuckles' clan (A story idea that Kenders fucked up royally), Sonic & Tails' friendship (Again, something Penders fucked up), Amy learning to stand up on her own (Again, fucked up by Pen because he decided to screw up her back story and take away all of her character building moments), Knuckles' learning of his role (Again, fucked up), and do I need to even mention the final battle? How about I just sum that up as Super Sonic is a derp, ''SALLY, GET OUT OF THE WAY GAL PAL!'' and Knuckles winning through Deus Ex Machina, and Marvel reference because Ken Penders is a Kirby fanboy. That about sum it up?

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at those pics again, I find it weird that the characters have four fingers and Knuckles ( I don't care if he's called K'nox, he's STILL Knuckles.) has a tatoo thing on his leg.

Looking at those pics again, I find it weird that the characters have four fingers and Knuckles ( I don't care if he's called K'nox, he's STILL Knuckles.) has a tatoo thing on his leg.

Oh, god. You reminded me of the whole fingers thing.

So, Sonic and all game characters have five fingers (except Robotnik, I think), while all the other Mobians had four. The Overlanders had four fingers.

But when Sonic Adventure came around, and they had to introduce Station Square's humans, Pen & Karl had to explain away the differences between Overlanders and humans, chief amongst them that Overlanders had four fingers while humans had five. And Eggman had five fingers now, despite originally being an Overlander but needed to match his game counterpart.

To the best of my knowledge, they never explained why Sonic & Tails had five fingers while Sally had four.

Then it was all quietly swept under the rug as that was all deemed too overly complicated and everyone was just given five fingers, with the only difference between Overlanders & humans being that humans were much more chill (despite having nukes*). Ugh. Thank god there's only humans in the new continuity now.

*This raises another thing about the Good, the Bad & the Unknown story about the "Freedom Fighters finding out about nukes for the first time" plot beat that story had. Aside from Homecoming which had Robotnik threatening to use nukes, friggin' Station Square is still around, full of humans. Hell, they were (inadvertantly, blame the WarGames computer they had) responsible for the nuking of Robotropolis, which is why Eggman had to move to New Megaopolis. Was Pen so adament on ignoring everything Karl did that he willingly ignored two instances the FF's saw nukes in play, or did he just not give a sh*t about trying to keep continuity in favor of his soapboxing?

• Thumbs Up 4

think the tattoo might be the shadow from his outstretched arm. Maybe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

'Hipster welfare' is one of the funniest terms I've heard in a long time.

Look at those sour grapes.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, Sonic and all game characters have five fingers (except Robotnik, I think), while all the other Mobians had four. The Overlanders had four fingers.

But when Sonic Adventure came around, and they had to introduce Station Square's humans, Pen & Karl had to explain away the differences between Overlanders and humans, chief amongst them that Overlanders had four fingers while humans had five. And Eggman had five fingers now, despite originally being an Overlander but needed to match his game counterpart.

To the best of my knowledge, they never explained why Sonic & Tails had five fingers while Sally had four.

Then it was all quietly swept under the rug as that was all deemed too overly complicated and everyone was just given five fingers, with the only difference between Overlanders & humans being that humans were much more chill (despite having nukes*). Ugh. Thank god there's only humans in the new continuity now.

*This raises another thing about the Good, the Bad & the Unknown story about the "Freedom Fighters finding out about nukes for the first time" plot beat that story had. Aside from Homecoming which had Robotnik threatening to use nukes, friggin' Station Square is still around, full of humans. Hell, they were (inadvertantly, blame the WarGames computer they had) responsible for the nuking of Robotropolis, which is why Eggman had to move to New Megaopolis. Was Pen so adament on ignoring everything Karl did that he willingly ignored two instances the FF's saw nukes in play, or did he just not give a sh*t about trying to keep continuity in favor of his soapboxing?

I still don't even understand what the point of Overlanders were. Why couldn't they just be humans from the get go? Oh, I know why, because we have to make them have four fingers and be mutated so Bollers can make his generic apocalypse story. 

I bet that they felt clever back when they were making the Sonic Adventure story. They were probably all sitting around going "Ooooh, I know what we'll do! We'll give Sonic and the rest of the animals 5 fingers and the people 4 fingers! That will be SOOO interesting!"

And of course they had to make Sonic stories about nukes, since this was in the era when everything was extremely melodramatic and serious. And we have to tell all the kiddies that only want a nice, simple Sonic story that Nukes and Guns are evil. 

With Penders ignoring Boller's already established stories, remember than Penders is the only one who takes Sonic seriously, and so he's the only one that can make stories that matter and have relevance of course. 

Actually, I think they were supposed to be humans from the get-go, but complaints about the misanthropy which arises from this lead them to being a close human equivalant in Overlanders, so their Hat of being war-happy savages could be justified. THEN when Adventure came along, nice, actual humans had to be introduced since apparently it would go against Overlander M.O. to be cordial to Mobians.

The game characters having five fingers while everyone else had four was just something that happened from the get-go. I think the only time they ever brought it up was in the issues before they got to Station Square, not that that plot thread was ever brought up again.

But yeah, Bollers and Pen did make things more overdramatic and serious, tho Pen was worse at it. A cause of the schism between Overlanders and the Kingdom of Acorn was revealed to be due to an Overlander kid accidentally shot and killed one of Sally's ancestors with a revolver.

Not really Pen Kenders news, but a little update on our old friend & Pen-Praiser FuhrerMustang over on tha Twitta.

It seems that ol' Roy here shares the same kind of viewpoint as such "lauded" individuals as Asaleri and Archfiend on Youtube (and maybe Pen? Forgot what his stance on Kickstarter is), such as when Ian Flynn announced the Kickstarter for Raiders of the Abyss, an individual project Flynn is doing independantly.

Now, this is kinda old, and I'm sure was brought up when it was actually said (I think).

But this reminds me of a question: Just how in the hell is Pen actually funding this project?

He's said that he was low on money during his lawsuit, yet seems to be going full force on this trainwreck with little concern of capital. He's certainly got enough to make his convention standees of the cover and Lien-Diva, and has not expressed concerned with funding on printing thousands of copies of his book (if and) when the material for the first book is done. He can't have sold enough of his Acorn patches and eBay comics to feel safe; he certainly hasn't sold any of his phone cases. If nothing else, he's probably costing on his wife's money since, IIRC, she's a successful lawyer in her own right.

Yet crowdfunding an independant project is seen in the eyes of one of Pen's fans as being worse than presumably leeching money off of your spouse? I realize that Naugus Mustang has a certain hate boner for Ian, but wow.

Sorry if I covered old ground, but just to make up for it, here's a new bit of Pen Twittery.

Personally I don't understand the hatred of Patreon some people have.

"You want to fund a project? We'll you're a thieving evil scumbag because you want to do projects." It makes no sense to me at all.

• Thumbs Up 4