Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

So I hear I'm not the only one who thought of ReBoot the instant I saw that image. Except that's almost an insult to ReBoot...

This whole thing is just plain hilarious to me at this point. I'm not even mad about the characters he "took back" anymore, it's much more fun to just be incredibly amused by his attempts to...to...I don't even know what he's trying to do. I can't wait for the Lara-Su Chronicles to come out. He could put that last sentence, ,without context, on the back cover if he wanted to!!

Lawnmower Man had better CG. Where The Dead Go To Die is less terrifying nightmare fuel that this.

And I might just be tired, but the coloring makes it look like Lien-Da is going blackface.

Good lord, you can imagine what Queen Alicia, Geoferry, and the others will look like.

If I had an Elias plushie, I'd hug it and cry right now...

And I might just be tired, but the coloring makes it look like Lien-Da is going blackface.

You aren't tired, I can see it too.

Wow, so this is what people were saying in the Statuses.

Haha...you know what, Penders? You really humor me. Now I really want to see you go through with this project, because at this point your trolling is going off the mark. There is no way you can be serious about this, and if you are, that will make it even more interesting to see how this does.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had an Elias plushie, I'd hug it and cry right now...

You know, I think you can compare Penders to the neglectful parent of a group of children.

These children were then later taken into the custody of a foster family.

The foster family took care of the children -- kept them well fed and helped with their schooling. They're happy.

Then the neglectful parent fought for the rights of the custody of the children. They won.

The neglectful parent came back and took the children back, with the children kicking and screaming as they leave the house, clawing the to stay in.

And the door closes of the foster parents with "No, no I want to stay!" being the last words the foster parents heard from them.

• Thumbs Up 7

You know, I think you can compare Penders to the neglectful parent of a group of children.

These children were then later taken into the custody of a foster family.

The foster family took care of the children -- kept them well fed and helped with their schooling. They're happy.

Then the neglectful parent fought for the rights of the custody of the children. They won.

The neglectful parent came back and took the children back, with the children kicking and screaming as they leave the house, clawing the to stay in.

And the door closes of the foster parents with "No, no I want to stay!" being the last words the foster parents heard from them.

And then the neglectful parents digging out the kid's innards and replacing it with puppet parts, all the while sewing in plastic eyes and mechanical crap to make them into half dead looking dolls.

To be honest, at this stage Penders just needs to hurry up and release this shit it can tank hard and then he might realise that nobody cares.

Just how many years has he been preparing this for, anyway? And still nothing tangible has come of it. It's ridiculous.

The only potential market for this would be fans of his work in the Archie comics. Except at the same time they're also the people most likely to find this hilariously bad. There's literally almost nobody his stuff would genuinely appeal to.

Well, I don't think Penders has ever had an original idea in his life, so yeah. :P

So I hear I'm not the only one who thought of ReBoot the instant I saw that image. Except that's almost an insult to ReBoot...

Almost?! Dude, that show first came out back in 1994 and it still looks a whole lot better than this image!

• Thumbs Up 7

Almost?! Dude, that show first came out back in 1994 and it still looks a whole lot better than this image!

Actually, ReBoot was in production in the 80s with it's limit being "technology wasn't advanced enough"; it's 30 years later where technology has grown the fastest and this is the best Ken can come up with.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys what's the fuss all ab-AAAAAAAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

This is a joke right? This is a fucking joke, right? 

Penders, holy shit man, for all the shit we give you, gotta hand it to ya, YOU SOMEHOW CAN DIG YOURSELF DEEPER EVEN AFTER HITTING MOTHERFUCKING BEDROCK!

I mean, HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT! I don't want to sleep anymore, forever, It's like he couldn't make it horrifying enough in 2D, he needed a third dimension to make his horrifying idea complete.

And people complained about Sonic Boom's designs, I prefer Buffles all day over Joker-Da the scary cyber-noodle-rapist

Also

neck

NECK

NECK

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

This guy gets a lot more attention than necessary. While the image is good for someone who is LEARNING, this is definitely something that should not come out as a final product for a series that he wants people to take seriously. The body looks very bare and lacks immense details, while the eyes look large and cartoony, which looks awkward, because at the same time I guess I'm supposed to believe that there's some realism to this.

Let's not mention those teeth. :V

I don't know the details, but I have read about one or two people that submitted samples that he turned away. I'm pretty certain this was one of those samples, but I can't find the post on his forum at the moment (but I distinctly remember him saying he liked it, but it wasn't what he wanted to do or something). EDIT: Oh, here it is, on the artist's tumblr.

Yep, read it and weep folks.

Ken Penders responded to my artwork that someone posted on his forum (the Lara-Su redesign)

Penders:

Actually, I very much liked the samples you submitted for my review, but my approach to THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES isn’t going to be anything you or anyone else suggests, as I don’t need the headache of being accused of stealing or being influenced by yet another party’s work. I’m more concerned at this point in making the work accessible to a wider readership than just simply cater to the current Sonic readership. Those who liked my previous work with these characters should be entertained, and those who don’t, well, you’ll just have to wait to see if I surprise you.

Basically as expected, dismissal. I find the reasons for dismissal amusing.

1. It’s much better for people to insinuate that his art style is a rip of the SEGA Sonic style and (and also ignore my point about how this looks nothing like echidnas do). And why is preferable to him to have people insinuate that?
  2. There’s nothing wrong with influence. Everyone is influenced as I’ve mentioned earlier. As for stealing, all he’d have to do is ask me. And believe it or not, despite how I’ve talked about Penders in the past (and currently), part of me wants to see Lara-Su Chronicles really become it’s own, big glorious thing. Not a regurgitated Sonic story with toyed with Sonic art. Because in a way, that at least would make everything that’s happened have some reason to it. If all this happened just for THAT to happen, it’d be a fucking tragedy.
  3. As an adult human being tainted by Sonic fandom, I am unable to separate different entities and incapable of making informed decisions worthy of consideration. Therefor listening to anyone saying “this would be a worthy direction to go into” would be bowing into the whims of the current Sonic fanbase, rather than listening to someone who may be concerned in seeing things do well in a unique, fresh take.

That all said

I fucking love drawing in this style and will continue to do so.

Jesus Christ Penders, I know you've lost dignity, but can't you at least be professional in these sort of cases!?

To be honest, at this stage Penders just needs to hurry up and release this shit it can tank hard and then he might realise that nobody cares.

You'de think that, but then this is the guy who considers his "The Lost Ones" to be a bestselling series, even though it flopped after literally one issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I remember my brother telling me that he struggled like hell to get it published, then it tanked miserably with the one issue that he managed to get printed.

If that's his idea of best-selling, I dread to see what his idea of a failure is. XDD

Wow. What? That Echidna design looks absolutely adorable. I really wish he could have taken the suggestion at least. 

Ken reveals some of his cards:

First up is Patrick Luque, who has been working with me on a number of projects, including being part of the production crew on THE REPUBLIC. I've known Patrick since he first visited me while he was a young boy when I attended the San Diego Comic-Con in the mid-90's with my family. Since then Patrick has gone on to pursue work in the video game industry. Patrick's main responsibilities until lately have been focused on developing the app for TL-SC, which promises to be more advanced than other comic apps I've seen. Recently, however, he's taken on the task of creating a Lara-Su 3D CGI model from my drawings, and I'm excited by what he's accomplished on both the app and CGI model so far.

The second member of Team Lara-Su is a new discovery, Kevin Knowles, who was responsible for taking my drawings and creating the resulting 3D CGI model of Lien-Da which you can see below:

(You know what it is)

Kevin has more than exceeded my expectations and proven to me that just because he's located on the other side of the world from me is no reason we couldn't collaborate.

The model Kevin built will be used as the reference standard for all things Lien-Da. I'm hoping to have the 360º view of her ready when I post the Lien-Da Data File on TL-SC website which is currently being assembled.

On top of that, a well-known actress will be the voice of Lien-Da as we assemble the video presentation, to say nothing of Costume Designer Mike Philpot putting on the finishing touches to the Praetorian's Hat for unveiling, as well as a couple of other goodies to be announced shortly.

The main focus, though, is on the story and art. I'm hoping to wrap the story very shortly which will then allow me to focus exclusively on the art going forward.

I've never heard of these guys.

This guy gets a lot more attention than necessary. While the image is good for someone who is LEARNING, this is definitely something that should not come out as a final product for a series that he wants people to take seriously. The body looks very bare and lacks immense details, while the eyes look large and cartoony, which looks awkward, because at the same time I guess I'm supposed to believe that there's some realism to this.

Let's not mention those teeth. :V

He's like a black hole.

Even if you want to escape his nonsense, he just pulls you right back in.

I saw the Abomination on Tumblr this morning.

Um, so are we sure this guy isn't just yknow, joking...

It must be a joke.

Right?

*clutches Sonic plushie*