Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Just got back from Jurassic World; not as good as the original, but plenty fun and loads better than the sequels.

Then I see this. I have no words about the sheer amount of laziness that statement exhues.

You can be damn sure that Karl and Ian read his stuff, if only to try to keep continuity. Guess returning that favor is too much for 'the man who saved Sonic'.

I dread the very real possibility of him comparing Bryce Howard's character to Lara-Su as he done to Hunger Games' Katniss character.

• Thumbs Up 3

And you know, given that this is mean to be a 'Hard' science fiction story (yes, yes, I know, you can stop laughing), I wonder then how much time he's putting into researching the real world science needed to make the mechanics of the story work? Cause I mean, if he can't be bothered to research a few comic books for continuity purposes, then does he at least put aside time for the science side of things?

Oh, hell no. If he can't be bothered to read a 21 page comic, then what makes you think he would be reading something detailed and scientific, like an actual fucking book, or an article? If he was really seriously trying to pass this off as hard science fiction, then he would be getting at least a few questions about the validity of some things, but he would pass it off as "This book is not for professors" or something like that. 

I doubt he even has the attention span to read a actual book or article of something, based on how much he tries to avoid reading other comics. He would make all sorts of preposterous excuses about not reading the science either. He would probably be saying stuff about "How am I supposed to read this AND the comics on time?" and "I'm not a scientist, this isn't my thing!" often. 

• Thumbs Up 1

hey folks, remember the Dagon? well, you know who else has a Dagon?

Snap_Shot_Promo.jpg

i laughed so hard when i saw this. bow that shoots daggers indeed.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't see the need to do so. I don't think he's claimed the weapon is an original concept anyway. 

Ugh, writing this on my phone is going to be a pain.

So this weekend, Ken decided to go on the Twitter again, where he said such things as:

Angelo & Gallagher stories were interchangable,

saying that he didnt need to collaborate with others since he was either on Knuckles or doing flashback stories,

Gabrie would have to shoulder the burden of collaboration (such as the Adventure adaptation) since Ken didnt really care or have motivation to do so (ok, that was slightly exaggurated by me),

that despite that, Ian should have contacted him because he had the means to do so,

The 'fans' point out what Ian does as he doesnt read Ians stories,

Locke was handled out of left field (i.e. being called out on by being a terrible person who exploited his son) and that Lien-Da & Dimitri would rathet die than submit to Eggman as the Dark Egg Legion was a 'poorly thought out integration',

Despite the above, he says that what Ian did was expectantly different (but continues to rip Ians stuff apart),

Ken admitting again that Locke was based on his own father (thus Ian would NEVER come close to the true character, and compares what Locke did to Knuckles to a parent sending a child off to boarding school, 'Like parents havent abandoned their kids for years and decades in real life, right?',

Locke would have gone through all options before even thinking of killing Knuckles, wait I mean Locke would NEVER KILL HIS SON,

Saying that Knuckles-jak should have been resolved with the Chaos Siphon when it has been SOOO reliable in the past (coughDimitricoughFinetivuscough),

Being passive aggressive that people attack him for not consulting the other writers but not Ian,

And finally stating that he 'knew' he'd never get a call about the book after he quit since that would require 'common courtesy', followed by an non-sequiter about Democrats & Republicans in the US and how they used to work together but now they dont or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 3

that despite that, Ian should have contacted him because he had the means to do so,

Assuming this is about him not reading any of Ian's stuff. What? Why should Ian have to be the one who must contact him about Ian's stories when Ian wants nothing to do with the project? If Penders is going to claim that he'll keep things canon, it's his responsibility. Not Ian's.

Or assuming he's referring to Enerjak Reborn. Ian had no reason to. Penders never had to contact Sega or Sonic Team when writing for Sonic. He never had to contact Bollers when he wrote Mina. So why is it suddenly, Ian's expected to do all of this for him? For all of his big talk about Ian getting all the praise and so much more, it's nice of Penders to drop stupid bullshit like expecting Ian to contact him to write these characters.

Here's what might shock Penders. Ian Flynn is a writer for a licensed comic book, which at said time owned his characters. There wasn't no rules set down for what these characters could or couldn't do, and Ian or Archie didn't need the approval of some washed up terrible writer who got into a hissy fit after having his story changed for the better. The only thing Penders would have done is put stupid restrictions on the characters and try give them the same bland bs personalities they always had. Nothing else.

He meant that Ian should have contacted HIM about writing the characters that Ken came up with prior to the reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

He meant that Ian should have contacted HIM about writing the characters that Ken came up with prior to the reboot.

Then I refer you to 

Or assuming he's referring to Enerjak Reborn. Ian had no reason to. Penders never had to contact Sega or Sonic Team when writing for Sonic. He never had to contact Bollers when he wrote Mina. So why is it suddenly, Ian's expected to do all of this for him? For all of his big talk about Ian getting all the praise and so much more, it's nice of Penders to drop stupid bullshit like expecting Ian to contact him to write these characters.

Here's what might shock Penders. Ian Flynn is a writer for a licensed comic book, which at said time owned his characters. There wasn't no rules set down for what these characters could or couldn't do, and Ian or Archie didn't need the approval of some washed up terrible writer who got into a hissy fit after having his story changed for the better. The only thing Penders would have done is put stupid restrictions on the characters and try give them the same bland bs personalities they always had. Nothing else.

Penders was off the book by then, right? So he's basically saying Archie writers should have to contact non/former Archie writers before doing anything with characters they made when they're no longer a part of the creative process?

• Thumbs Up 1

hey folks, remember the Dagon? well, you know who else has a Dagon?

Snap_Shot_Promo.jpg

i laughed so hard when i saw this. bow that shoots daggers indeed.

Penders was off the book by then, right? So he's basically saying Archie writers should have to contact non/former Archie writers before doing anything with characters they made when they're no longer a part of the creative process?

• Thumbs Up 2

Are you saying that Ken is resorting to stealing designs from Snap Shot or something?

no, but i am saying it's a very funny coincidence, that Skylanders, master of Saturday morning cartoon-esque cheese and characters with lovably cliche as hell backstories, came up with the same ridiculous weapon design, and one-upped Mr. Penders on ridiculousness by making it made of crystal to boot. 

on another note, glade to see another Sayaka fan in the world ^^

Yes. He was saying this in response to people asking

• Why he didn't talk to other writers while he and they were on the book
  • Why he isn't talking to the current writer when trying to make material that won't conflict with the current book

His questioning about why people aren't acting like this/asking these things to Ian is irrelevant because Ian is the only (with some small exceptions) currently active writer on the book. Ian only needs to refer to people who are current creating the book's canon, not to writers who are no longer part of Archie's creative process.

This does not apply to Pen's position because 1. He wasn't the only chef in the kitchen while he was at Archie, 2. His current work is promising non-conflict with current Archie work

This is why I'm basically dead certain Lara-Su Chronicles will utilize time ripples and multiuniverses to explain any conflicts away. His work is canon, you see, because he can erase everything that happened but still say "but it did actually happen, it just doesn't matter now". Just like how it doesn't matter that his alien planet "Mobius" looks just like earth- it's going to explode so it doesn't matter.

Okay, I thought he was talking about when Ian was doing the Enerjak stories that killed Locke.

That, among Ian's tenure of the old continuity in general, is what I got from his statement.

It's the equivilant of Mark Waid & Geoff Johns not asking Gardner Fox or John Broome for permission or.advice on how to write Barry Allen or Wally West.

• Thumbs Up 2

That, among Ian's tenure of the old continuity in general, is what I got from his statement.

It's the equivilant of Mark Waid & Geoff Johns not asking Gardner Fox or John Broome for permission or.advice on how to write Barry Allen or Wally West.

Or for that matter any writer who worked on any comic book at all after the tenure of a previous writer. Long running comic book series are ultimately a collaborative effort, and once you are off the book, you no longer have a say in how things go. His claiming that it's a 'common courtesy' is laughable given that this is decidedly not an industry standard for new writers to call up their predecessors. ESPECIALLY when that predecessor quit before hand. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, it shows how out of touch he is with any amount of the (comic) fandom. I mean, it wasn't an hour after the announcement (and I saw it about then, anyway) and people were talking about how Ian's workload is now halved (more or less) and at least a few people openly felt bad for him

I mean, on his twitter, there's a reply to someone that is pretty clearly is showing concern.

Someone needs to point out to him that Megaman hasn't been canned. Just on hiatus while they "reimagine" the Archie Action Line...whatever that means. His latest comments under the initial tweet seem to show he's under the impression Megaman is going the way of the Boom comics, which at this stage isn't true.

Edit : He seems to now be aware, but he's put "hiatus" in quotation marks like that..I guess he still thinks its not coming back. I guess he can read the insider lingo better than all of us having been in the comics business >.<

I'm sorry if i don't have the patience to read through a whole bunch of pages (like i already tried to do), but when is the book coming out? (estimate?)

I'm sorry if i don't have the patience to read through a whole bunch of pages (like i already tried to do), but when is the book coming out? (estimate?)

From what I remember (it's been a bit), he did say by SDCC... but frankly, with what little he's bothered to show us, I don't see it happening.

(Cripes, I need to catch up)

IIRC, he said he'd at least have some news about the project, if not the release date. But I'm gonna doubt that he has any real progress on the book since he still has yet to produce even a page 2 for his Geoffrey prequel that, AFAIK, isn't even going to be included in the actual GN.

Oh, and Ken & good ol' FuhrerMustang were lapping up the news about the hiatus for Mega Man; the latter even smugly declaring that it "serves [ian] right." I swear that boy ain't right; claiming to be ready for college, reblogging and getting into political debates, yet acting like a 12 year old when it comes to his hero Ken and how Ian is basically worse than Hitler in his eyes for banning him from his forum and writing for Archie Sonic & Mega Man.

Edited by biznizz

Oh, and Ken & good ol' FuhrerMustang were lapping up the news about the hiatus for Mega Man; the latter even smugly declaring that it "serves [ian] right." I swear that boy ain't right; claiming to be ready for college, reblogging and getting into political debates, yet acting like a 12 year old when it comes to his hero Ken and how Ian is basically worse than Hitler in his eyes for banning him from his forum and writing for Archie Sonic & Mega Man.

It's interesting to see that Ken's just starting to notice that FuhrerMustang has a little bit of a.... thing about Ian - after Mustang started blaming Ian for basically everything and saying how he deserves it all, Ken actually started defending Ian against Mustang's wilder accusations and essentially politely told him to take it down a notch.

• Thumbs Up 1