Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Nah, not that one. I think he (sort of) learned from the backlash from that.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/619238278747701249

Look at him trying to fan the flames of fandom fear.  Sucks for him that Archie already posted a pic of someone winning a Mega Man helmet set just for buying the Mega Man Comic-con Exclusive Variant.

Granted I haven't seen a pic of Archie's table but if you can get variant covers of a comic he claims is non-existent on their table, I'm gonna take his claim with a grain of salt.  I mean why even have an Archie Action Panel at the Con this weekend if you have nothing representing it at your table.

Too late on that one, Ken.  Besides, I would love to see all the material you have on your...oh wait...

Oh but all of Ken's material is just a bunch of Archie Sonic issues, most of which is the issues he either has nothing to do with but still slaps copyright over characters that don't even appear in the fucking issue, or Archie's Sonic GNs. 

Oh but all of Ken's material is just a bunch of Archie Sonic issues, most of which is the issues he either has nothing to do with but still slaps copyright over characters that don't even appear in the fucking issue, or Archie's Sonic GNs. 

Now that you say that, I feel he may follow up his last tweet by saying how much Sonic martial he has at his table then go "...BUT WAIT!  There's more!  Check out this app while I take a pic of you "using it" and not your confused expression on how it relates to anything from the Sonic comic story you wrote several years ago."

"I'm doing the work of six people" Hellboy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Usagi Yojimbo. All these are books that were done by 1 or 2 people tops.

Hell Bryan Lee O'Malley didn't announce Scott Pilgrim and then sit on his butt making Apps and Buttons for four Freaking Years.

To say nothing of various webcomic creators who are able to achieve this same thing by themselves or without the same resources as a comic book company. Or hell, a lot of manga creators who often are at this entirely on their lonesome and yet boast HUGE volumes of work. Granted those are in black and white, but it's still nothing to scoff at. 

Personally, these two comments amuse me intensely, regarding the nature of his project. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/619004687732215809

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618983381993287680

This isn't exactly the first time people have read comics on their phones, Ken, and really, this isn't helping the perception that you disdain comics as a medium regardless of how much you hype up certain old school creators. 

It's only compounded by the fact the guy does not have a product out yet. And somehow, I sincerely doubt that the App is wowing people like he claims. Given the lackluster amount of quality in all his other products, I am somehow not inclined to believe that this is something done with any particular amount of skill of innovation. 

Or maybe he's talking shit, considering he seemed to love showing pictures anytime he sold a Sonic related item at a con, but won't show any pictures when he's selling his own merchandise? Seems a little fishy doesn't it?

Honestly... it's not that unlikely. He does have a vanishingly small number of fans out there, but they do exist. I myself would have figured him able to sell ten, twenty of his LSC products at best. I don't doubt that he is vastly overstating how much people wanted his stuff and how much of it sold, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he'd find a few people willing to bite, especially given how cheap his stuff might seem by comparison given the usual prices at a con. 

Doesn't do much to change the fact at the end of the day, he still couldn't keep his word about when this book would be released. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe he is shrugging off Jason and his attempts to give the guy some decent pointers. Saying that comparing him to other single writer/artist/publisher indie comics is apples to oranges, and to come back and talk to him when he has a better comparrison. Rude.

I'm sorry, but seriously, what an ass. How is he any different to those indie comic creators, especially when he just finished saying his reason for the slow rollout etc was that he was one man. Then went on to say that Archie can release what they do as fast as they do because they have six or more on a comic team, that we can't hold him to those standards because of that, which is fair enough. But then he turns around and says that he's not comparable to single man indie publishers either for whatever reason, some grandiosement about him trying to accomplish something no one else has done.

End line tho, regardless of what he thinks he is, he still doesn't have the MAIN product out, whatever he believes it is, comic or otherwise, and he's trying to justify releasing apps and all sorts of merch when his actual product is vaporware. It's absolutely batty >.<

• Thumbs Up 3

...Should I even fucking bother saying it.

Looks awful, and now there's his extremely small fanbase asking him for console skins. Ugh. This uglyness never stops.

I know I probably sound like I'm defending Penders too much lately...but thinking about it a bit, is it really fair to be against him reusing art?

In books themselves, yeah, it'd be bad, but so far as promotional stuff goes, it doesn't seem that uncommon for that to be done, at least from what I've seen.

Maybe there's this general thing against using it for comic related things I don't know about. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I agree with Disonoid that there's nothing wrong with using stock art for merchandise, it happens all the time. But this new product is still really bad design-wise. Lara-Su is awkwardly shoved into that corner, leaving a huge chunk of empty black space over her head. It feels like it would've looked much better if she was just positioned a little higher. Plus, the entire thing is extremely bland, and there's no getting past the ugliness of the artwork. It could be worse, but it's still pretty darn bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have a problem with the stock art. My problem is two things. 1. The art is so haphazardly thrown together than it really doesn't feel like it meshes well or works. Problem number 2 is the fact that he is so fucking desperate, making all this merchandise crap for a book that isn't made yet, and then trying to claim that he has an massive audience, despite the fact that after what must be a year, he still hasn't sold one of his stupid IPhone cases and yet here he is again, trying to make some quick cash before even having a fucking product to present it.

The Su-Kini is still clearly on the poster.

I was talking about the tablecloth. That image doesn't have the Su-kini.

It's really more the reason why there is foot traffic at his booth that would be more telling than how busy it is in general. Are people there because he worked on Sonic or whatever else he has worked on? Are they there to get some old Sonic back issues? Are they there to get some random characters drawn by an old guard comic celebrity?

Or are they there for interest in his Lara-Su Chronicles stuff? Because that's what he's meant to be there for, promoting his new "hit" multimedia series. If most of the interest is for other reasons then his booth popularity really isn't much of a gauge on interest.

I just checked the official Ken Penders forum... and the STH section is full of hate. Like, on his home turf. That should be sending a message.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just checked the official Ken Penders forum... and the STH section is full of hate. Like, on his home turf. That should be sending a message.

You would think it would...but unfortunately, it doesn't. In fact, it probably should have sent the message a while ago.

But his ego's so strong, it would be a miracle if even a small bit of reality reaches it.

Oh, it's been that way for a while now. Penders only rarely posts there because it's no longer a safe haven for him to hear what he wants to hear, and because the format of the forum allows his critics to be a lot more precise than they can be on twitter. As such, it's more or less dead, and twitter is his primary means of communication now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, this is old news dude. Penders has basically been driven out of there. I think he barely posts there anymore because of all the stuff that goes down. I have to say I almost feel kinda sorry for him. Whenever he made a post on there, a tonne of people would of course be criticizing his stuff immediately. I mean, of course he's full of shit most of the time, but he can't really get a word out there without everyone on him. 

And pretty much what Horridus says is true too, as people can be way more critical with the way it is set up, so there are usually people tearing his asshole apart whenever he shows up on there. Almost think of what it's like in this topic but with Penders actually being there so people can criticize him and his work very directly. In other words, it's not a good ego booster for him. 

There is a topic named "End of the road" on the top of the Lara-Su subforum which basically explains how and why it's basically over. On the other subforums there is some activity, but it is definitely scarce there. 

Like I said, Penders is full of shit almost all of the time and he is a really lazy man who pretends to be working and he has a ego larger than Russia, but it really must be aggravating to be basically kicked off you own forum. All the same though, being kicked off hasn't seemed to teach him not to be an ass since he still operates mainly by ego on his Twitter. 

• Thumbs Up 3