Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Dude, I don't feel sorry he was kicked off his forum, mainly because he and BobR have been known to abuse Mod/Admin power there. They've threatened to ban people for criticizing any of Penders' work, BobR even more specifically actually went into a whole rant at someone at one point, knowingly broke the rules on that forum and then claimed ''I don't care, I run this board, I'm allowed to break the rules''. Because that's the kind of example you want from a mod right? For anyone wondering, he basically did a personal attack on someone, calling them a ''hypocritical piece of shit.''

• Thumbs Up 2

Funny we haven't seen any pictures yet of his stand. Still waiting for some screenshots of this app too (and Geoffrey's new look...).

Funny we haven't seen any pictures yet of his stand. Still waiting for some screenshots of this app too (and Geoffrey's new look...).

I'd wait until after the con is done before we start seeing pictures. If we don't get a glut of stuff from afterwards, THEN it will be odd. And yeah, count me in as curious as to what this 'new look is', given that I thought his overmuscled self from 'The Storm' was the aforementioned 'new look'. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Geoffrey has a new design? Is that why we haven't seen any more pages of "The Storm", because Ken needs to redraw all the pages to fit his new design? :P

Hey guys! Turns out Penders and Sega were totally tight years ago!

Yeah Right.

• Thumbs Up 1

So San Diego comic con has passed and yet no book... Dude should just cut the middle man and just post on his twitter about stuff since he's glued to it. Have a donation box for his paypal and all. Might not make much money that way but at least people won't be left hanging for the book.

He posted this picture of his stand a few days ago: https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618922294740529153

So San Diego comic con has passed and yet no book... Dude should just cut the middle man and just post on his twitter about stuff since he's glued to it. Have a donation box for his paypal and all. Might not make much money that way but at least people won't be left hanging for the book.

#1 Ick. He's still got those standees from Florida SuperCon with Creepy Render Lien-Diva and that huge Su-kini. That's sure to draw people in, especially since those dreads from a distance still clearly give off the impression of SEGA-style Echidna design./sarcasm

#2 I never did seriously expect him to have his book out by Comic-Con. I did, however, at least expect him to at least give an ETA Quarter for either this or next year for the book's release. Instead, we got stuff like "Drew my first Star Wars pic today. Really went over to the Dark Side" (possible sarcasm?), him denying any possible involvment that Ian had for making a female fan's favorite character be Lara-Su, and try to quietly ignore his promise of "news during Comic-Con" from weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

#1 Ick. He's still got those standees from Florida SuperCon with Creepy Render Lien-Diva and that huge Su-kini. That's sure to draw people in, especially since those dreads from a distance still clearly give off the impression of SEGA-style Echidna design./sarcasm

Actually, his characters resembling SEGA-style ones is probably one of the biggest ways he can draw anyone in; people associating him with Sonic tends to be most of the reason why anyone has ever cared about him to begin with, after all.

Also, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the Lara-Su Chronicles booth got a better response "in the flesh" than it does over the internet. They don't know Penders' background or jerky and egotistical stuff he's said in the past, and people might be more forgiving of the artwork's general badness and stuff like that because they might perceive Penders as being a "man with a dream", and they might instinctively want to support him. Plus, there's the huge fact that, when a person is right there as opposed to over the internet, you're much less inclined to be critical.

• Thumbs Up 8

I just want to confirm that Penders was talking bullshit when he claimed that Archie wasn't selling any Sonic or Mega Man things. In the video of the Archie Action event at Comic Con, they mention they have a exclusive Mega Man cover for sale, Worlds Unite issues, and Sonic Graphic Novels all for sale at their booth. So Penders is full of shit.

Look at the replies of that post on Twitter. I not only confirmed there was Sonic and Mega Man titles (because I was there), but I also took pictures and posted them in one of the replies.
Meanwhile, I walked by his booth on a busy Saturday twice and there was no one around his booth. He was just sketching. Everyone else nearby was busy, but they were avoiding his like it was radioactive. BTW, his booth was just littered with Sonic books and art. He knows what attracts folks to his booth and it's not the Lara-Su Chronicles.

I will say his booth was busy on the Thursday I went by. I don't want it to sound like it was empty all the time, but when no one is at your booth on Saturday, (the busiest day of Comic Con), that's a bad sign.

Plus that almost definitely confirms that the reason so many people even went on Thursday was likely for the Sonic books.

In the meanwhile, Penders' interpretation of events tends to be rosy as ever. 

Now, in general I tend to take what he says with a grain of salt, even accounting for him still having a few fans. Given that nothing, and I mean nothing he has ever displayed of LSC has even a basic amount of quality to it, I have this very odd tendancy to doubt that things are ever going as smashingly as he says. After hearing about how things at the con were actually going though? Yeeah, the guy's living in dreamland. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In the meanwhile, Penders' interpretation of events tends to be rosy as ever. 

Now, in general I tend to take what he says with a grain of salt, even accounting for him still having a few fans. Given that nothing, and I mean nothing he has ever displayed of LSC has even a basic amount of quality to it, I have this very odd tendancy to doubt that things are ever going as smashingly as he says. After hearing about how things at the con were actually going though? Yeeah, the guy's living in dreamland. 

Let's also keep in mind the fact that despite the so called success, he still hasn't posted a single picture of any fans with him. He's posted random comic con pictures of stuff from other companies, but nothing of his actual stand with fans near it.

• Thumbs Up 1

HAHAHA. Oh yeah I'm suuure the non-fans liked the art and characters! About 1% of those non-fans maybe? 

I'm sorry, I just don't believe a word he says. As far as I know everyone thinks Penders' art sucks, even the ones who aren't familiar with his work on the Sonic comics. Anyone who thinks it looks good is crazy. =P

Also where the hell are his photos? Last year he posted loads but this year nada!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm a little surprised he didn't post any images or info about the app. For something he's been talking about forever, is supposedly an integral part of this whole venture, and debuting at Comic-Con, the least he could do is show it off online for those that weren't there. I mean, I'm not interested in the app itself, but I'm curious what he's apparently received a positive response to and also just what is is on the app, especially since, as far as we know, there's still no sequential work beyond that one splash page. That said, I'll take what he's said with a grain of salt, especially since I don't know anyone who has really liked the art beyond the usual trolls.

Meanwhile, I walked by his booth on a busy Saturday twice and there was no one around his booth. He was just sketching.

Well erm...at least he's sketching! I mean, it's a lot more productive than tweeting all the time!

• Thumbs Up 7

Thanks for letting us know, Jason.

I wish I had been at the con so I could have seen the app. I'm very interested in it since apparently he's learned coding to make it himself? If I'm remembering correctly, that is.

• Thumbs Up 3

well i'll at least give him some credit he's determined to stay on this project of his (even if he's not really doing much about it) granted it could just be because he likes the attention from the hate comments and sketching "could" improve his art possibly.

I don't know maybe he should just make a fnaf fan game or consider a change in careers (what is his job now anyways?)

As far as we know, he has no current job, his wife is a lawyer and pays for everything.

And Ken's already fairly good at sketching (before the forum got wiped we talked about some charity sketches he did of characters that weren't his, and aside from a very wonky looking Anna, they weren't bad). I think his problem is more ugly designing and terrible coloring and shading. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as we know, he has no current job, his wife is a lawyer and pays for everything.

And Ken's already fairly good at sketching (before the forum got wiped we talked about some charity sketches he did of characters that weren't his, and aside from a very wonky looking Anna, they weren't bad). I think his problem is more ugly designing and terrible coloring and shading. 

Yeeeah, about that whole 'he can draw realistically pretty good' thing...

CJnmDMMUkAADdCD.jpg

We might need to re-assess that particular theory. 

That said though, his utterly awful colors is something that continues to baffle me. Most of his work done outside of Archie was as a colorist and an inker. You'd at least think he could grasp color theory and the like. 

Also, this.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/621035556399493120

Uh-huh. The prototype App totally explains why the graphic novel you made it for is still unreleased. Maybe if you, I don't know, focused on the book FIRST, you wouldn't have to excuse yourself? Just a hunch there, big guy. 

''It really sets a high bar where comic apps are concerned''

Thanks Penders. I really needed a good laugh.

Because clearly, the person who's website looks like it was made back in 1997 and has made his first app has definitely set a massive bar for comic app standards. I bet one or two of your lapdogs surely told you that after they told you how you were the greatest comic creator in the face of the planet.

How about giving actual proof or allowing us to judge instead of trying to claim that your comic app is some kind of extremely high bar for comic standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, whatever you say Penders. Now can you finally show us this App? It's like he's deliberately keeping it away from us.

It's like saying my first drawing ever revolutionizes art in general. I have no memory of that drawing, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing to praise.

Penders is getting way too ahead of himself, if you ask me. Oh, and we haven't seen this app yet, but I'm expecting it to be buggy...at BEST!