Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I've heard from a few people that Pen has quite the trigger finger when it comes to the ban button on Twitter, and that it's extremely easy to get banned by saying anything contradictory or that he doesn't like.

For example, someone told me (who wants to remain anon, I'm sorry) that this is the only thing they said to Pen and got banned for it-

' you never corrected your own oversight. you could have easily said 'false alarm, sorry' and then focus on your own works rather than commenting on your former employers. given your history, your attempts to paint archie as ignoring megaman and sonic is deeply unprofessional and even comes off as passive-aggressive.'

I guess it's to make up for his forums. He never really banned anyone there unless they specifically broke a few rules, and he ended up being ran out of there to the safety of Twitter. On Twitter he can block anyone without it being known or public what exactly happened.

I mean I'm sure there's people who are/were legitimately harassing him and sending him nasty-grams that deserve to be banned, but... from what I heard, it doesn't take a lot to get banned.

That said, not everyone gets banned. Adamis and Jason haven't, for instance, but Jason is also staff here and has interviewed him in the past, and Adamis is a well known fan? But other people who have said comparable things are out, it seems.

Edited by Verb & Noun

Well, I argue with him a lot, but I do try to keep things civil. I don't result to name calling and will even reply in a positive way to something I like.

The folks I've heard this from (which is two so it's not exactly the biggest focus group) weren't calling him names or being especially antagonistic either, though.

So, I don't know.

*Shrugs* Who knows with Penders. As has been noted, he's big on not banning people from his forum for having an opinion, but I think he only sticks to it because it's part of the image he wanted to build for himself. Since he hasn't done similar on twitter, he probably feels less inclined to tolerate getting called out on stuff. 

Anyway, since technically this ain't about LSC, I'm gonna veer us back there; does anyone else wonder what his App even does, given that it's been made for a graphic novel that hasn't been released? I would figure it has a 'preview' or something for what material he might have done, or maybe even the completed version of The Storm that he promised some months ago... course, that's being super duper, high-apple-pie-in-the-sky optimistic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the app is supposed to have the book on it. 

At this time, actual work has commenced not only on the story and art for THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES, but on the actual APP itself, which will allow readers to experience the comic in a way totally different from what's come before. 

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2527&start=25

And I think buried in his forum somewhere is a mention of having people voice act the thing on the app, but it's late and I don't want to go digging for it right now, so take that with a grain of salt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the app is supposed to have the book on it. 

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2527&start=25

And I think buried in his forum somewhere is a mention of having people voice act the thing on the app, but it's late and I don't want to go digging for it right now, so take that with a grain of salt. 

And yet there is no book, but there is an app for the book. Truly, a paradox for the ages. 

And you're correct, he DID in fact mention voice actors. I remember him once mentioning he'd found 'real celebrity voice talent' for Lara-Su on his twitter once, though he didn't say who THAT was exactly. 

Anyone remember those motion comics they used to sell on DVD? I don't know if they still make anything like that, but that's how I imagine this.

But on a phone.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's probably the comic but in animated form, or at least as animated as some of those special digital comics. Don't know why he would want to have voice acting in it though. Does he want it to be more EPIC?

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized that this thread is below 200 pages...again.

And that means the thread title is inaccurate.

Not anymore, it's not :U

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realized that this thread is below 200 pages...again.

Technically it is under 200 pages, but everything is still here. There are now 25 posts on a page now compared to 20 before the update, so every post on here is still here (obviously besides the ones lost in the wipe) but just on less pages now. 

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 1

I figured that much. Still, I wanted to point that out. Also, I look at my post again...sorry if I came off as rude or biting someone's head off. I didn't mean to be rude, but it seems it came out that way.

And in other Penders news, Ken has released THE STORM....'s first page. IN SPANISH!

So, any Spanish speakers in the house? How's this thing rate? 

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 2

And in other Penders news, Ken has released THE STORM....'s first page. IN SPANISH!

So, any Spanish speakers in the house? How's this thing rate? 

Now if he actually released the second page in English.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm wishing he'd post more pages rather than the same one translated over and over, particularly after he promised that the next page of 'The Storm' would be out in a week. That was months ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm wishing he'd post more pages rather than the same one translated over and over, particularly after he promised that the next page of 'The Storm' would be out in a week. That was months ago.

He promised a release date in 2012. That was three years ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure I'm nitpicking, but I kind of feel like if you're going to translate a page you should do the text in the scene, as well, not just the speech bubbles. 

Also, the shading is still as bad as ever. The cocker spaniel's tail is still noticably still lacking the same shading as the rest of her body, even for uniformity.

Welp, if he wasn't so obsessed with getting extra sh*t like Apps and merchandise done before the actual book came out, he wouldn't be having this problem.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, the shading is still as bad as ever. The cocker spaniel's tail is still noticably still lacking the same shading as the rest of her body, even for uniformity.

Welp, if he wasn't so obsessed with getting extra sh*t like Apps and merchandise done before the actual book came out, he wouldn't be having this problem.

Seriously. How much time and money must have gone into making those patches, phone cases and frigging T-shirts? To say nothing of the Prototype Phone App.... all to tie into a graphic novel that hasn't been released yet! For that matter, how much time would have gone to this project if he didn't constantly act up on twitter? I sometimes wonder if he does stupid stuff on purpose there so he can justify wasting time arguing with his critics. 

• Thumbs Up 2

He's putting more and more money into something that will likely bomb. PUT THE BOOK OUT FIRST! If it does well, THEN do the app/Motion comic shit.

Fail.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

It's fine releasing merchandise like posters or prints for a comic that hasn't been released yet but then he's got Apps, phone cases, t-shirts...what's next, plushies (oh please dear God no)? This stuff is more for AFTER a comic is released and depending on how popular it is you produce that stuff, not before you even know if it's going to be a success or not!

Also is he just not going to post any pics of his SDCC booth? If that's so, shame. Guess he couldn't do it. =I

What is he -trying- to do, necessarily? I mean by producing what seems to be a bunch of 'side' items while the book itself remains neglected?

My first thought is it's for promotional use, but in that case there's usually more to back up the product then a single page that's been translated twice.

I think he's trying to promote it across the world...

Let's hope he's not using Google translate.

I think he's trying to promote it across the world...

Let's hope he's not using Google translate.

He claimed to have friends who spoke these languages and translated them for him, only for Adamis to call him out on some of the French translation issues.

• Thumbs Up 2