Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

A.D.A.M. was a creation of Karl Bollers, like Mecha was, so I don't think he has the rights. Nor do I think that even if he had the legal right to use either of them that he'd do it, given how supremely disinterested he tends to be in anything made by anyone else, those portions that he didn't build off from himself I mean. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A.D.A.M. was a creation of Karl Bollers, like Mecha was, so I don't think he has the rights. Nor do I think that even if he had the legal right to use either of them that he'd do it, given how supremely disinterested he tends to be in anything made by anyone else, those portions that he didn't build off from himself I mean. 

Alternatively, they could be a similar situation to Athair where he tried to get them and was told no, so he's making a stand-in, again.

I'd actually forgotten about E.V.E. until you mentioned her, but I don't think she was a creation of Robo-Robotnik, so who knows. Then again, I guess he could ignore what Bollers did with her for that (funny how Bollers was willing to use anyone and keep a sense of continuity). A stand-in is probably more likely, though.

Speaking of which, does Archie not have access to Bollerses characters, then? I guess I should have noticed the lack of Mina, but still. What is the stance on that, anyway?

Speaking of which, does Archie not have access to Bollerses characters, then? I guess I should have noticed the lack of Mina, but still. What is the stance on that, anyway?

From my understanding Archie didn't have certain contracts so the characters technically belong to their original creators, and due to the Penders fiasco they just figured it would be better to not use any characters they didn't have any control over so they don't have to deal with another scenario like this. I don't remember the exact details though.

• Thumbs Up 4

Doesn't justify why SEGA can't sue Penders over his use of their creation.

The reason why they don't is because they have no reason to. Penders hasn't even released anything for sale yet, other than merch. And even if he does, it's not like he's going to be successful.

• Thumbs Up 4

Doesn't justify why SEGA can't sue Penders over his use of their creation.

Probably because as much of a douchenozzle Penders is, he hasn't actually DONE anything yet that would warrant them needing to sue him. Well okay more accurately he hasn't started making any MONEY with it since it isn't even finished (and probably never will be), and it will only be when he starts making money on Lara that suing him would probably be a thing...I think.

• Thumbs Up 2

From my understanding Archie didn't have certain contracts so the characters technically belong to their original creators, and due to the Penders fiasco they just figured it would be better to not use any characters they didn't have any control over so they don't have to deal with another scenario like this. I don't remember the exact details though.

So, they'd have to have the OK from Bollers himself for it to be 100% safe? What does he do nowadays, anyway?

Oh Bollers? Not much, just picking up awards for his work.

Anyway, Bollers recognises the copyright for the characters as his, but he was surprised to be told that his characters had been removed so it seems he wasn't that involved in the proceedings. Plus Archie isn't contacting any of the previous writers about it so it's safe to assume that they've all been left to gather dust.

• Thumbs Up 6

mm. But if they were to use them, are we able to predict whether he'd pull the same dick move as Penders, or does he have as much sanity to know that it is in fact a really fucking dick move?

mm. But if they were to use them, are we able to predict whether he'd pull the same dick move as Penders, or does he have as much sanity to know that it is in fact a really fucking dick move?

I doubt they would do it simply because they have moved on and are probably doing better things, unlike Penders who lingers on like unclean laundry that one forgets to clean up.

EDIT: wait are you talking about the other writers or Archie? That would change my answer.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

Archie can't use them. They don't have the rights.

And the only way they probably could use them is to buy them outright, because licensing them still conflicts with their agreements with SEGA. And I'm not even sure if that's on the table. Honestly, that just sounds like too much trouble.

Much as I miss the old comic verse, none of it is coming back (that isn't already owned by SEGA) and I think it's unlikely Archie would even be able to strike a deal that works for all parties involved, if one is even remotely possible. Archie's cut their losses and moved on.

I doubt they would do it simply because they have moved on and are probably doing better things, unlike Penders who lingers on like unclean laundry that one forgets to clean up.

Pretty much this. Penders is the only one who really seems to care, and to this day I still think the only reason why Archie screwed up so badly regarding this entire lawsuit thing was because they honestly never anticipated that anyone would give a crap about stuff made for Sonic and be willing to sue over it. Penders has really wrapped up a large part of his identity in his time from Sonic, hence why he endlessly hypes up how important his contributions were and how HE was a big part of why Sonic lasted so long while at the same time refusing to acknowledge that it might have had more to do with the strength of the brand than him. 

Everybody else seems to have gotten on with their lives, except for Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree, I do tend to linger too much with what was lost. I think if we'd just had time to wrap up the current arcs of the story I would've been more okay with it.

Well that and the fact that Scourge and Shard were both really awesome and Penders shouldn't be able to take and credit for them whatsoever.

I just keep going over different loopholes to how they could reappear in my mind, like (well Shard just doesn't have to be powered by the crystal anymore, make it a RSR) or (Scourge could have a different backstory, just be some evil bastard that happened to look like Sonic and was neglected as a child but not from an alternate universe) and I just keep searching for answers to questions I have no reason to ask because they'll never again matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point, your best bet for closure is Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales," but since it's an unofficial side-project, and he's busy writing so much other stuff officially, there's no hard release for it, yet.

Hopefully he can release some of it soon.

So that T-shirt design has got me thinking, and I attempted to re draw that...

lsc_t_shirt_design_redraw__pencilled_ver

drawing_experiment_101__lsc_t_shirt_desi

• I tried improving the poses, here, I tried to draw Lara in the dramatic running jump pose, it kinda came out awkward.
  • Minor changes to Xero, he does not have hair. (That's a black stripe) and he does not wear the loincloth because. 
  • Drawing real life humans is not my thing, hence Taelor's cartoonish appearance...

Also, something else I noticed in the real T-shirt design, Taelor is not wearing his helmet, given that this takes place in a futuristic space area, shouldn't his head explode from the lack of air?

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's hope that whatever composer gets chose actually gets called about his work, and not have it used without permission. Unless he's going classical, most of which is in the public domain.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that T-shirt design has got me thinking, and I attempted to re draw that...

Hidden Content

I doubt they're in space, they're clearly on the surface of something and said something has plants. I'm guessing either just a strange sky (the island IS supposed to be floating through space), inaccurate representation for merchandising reasons (much like Lien-Da will probably not be floating in the background), or Ken not thinking things through. Also betting Mykal just never takes off the suit for whatever reason. 

Let's hope that whatever composer gets chose actually gets called about his work, and not have it used without permission. Unless he's going classical, most of which is in the public domain.

I think he might be implying he got people to actually make stuff specifically for him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember him touting a music contact he had as one of his 'legit hollywood contacts' with 'real street cred'... the guy was some minor composer who did generic soundtracks to generic direct-to-dvd movies. Which is to be expected. 

Anyone remember when LSC was a comic book??

• Thumbs Up 3

I remember him touting a music contact he had as one of his 'legit hollywood contacts' with 'real street cred'... 

This was as far as I got before figuring it was a street sweeper who whistles while he works.

• Thumbs Up 2

This was as far as I got before figuring it was a street sweeper who whistles while he works.

This made me think of that live action Mary Poppin's chimney sweep mixed together with Disney's Snow White's "Whistle While You Work" song.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember him touting a music contact he had as one of his 'legit hollywood contacts' with 'real street cred'... the guy was some minor composer who did generic soundtracks to generic direct-to-dvd movies. Which is to be expected. 

Anyone remember when LSC was a comic book??

How dare you

LSC was never a lowly comic book

I love how whenever we hear something about this project that isn't a jab at SEGA or Archie (oh, and he still does that), it has little to do with the actual story/comic and more to do with an app that no one has seen but we're supposed to believe is somehow revolutionary and amazing.

"If I distract people with APP programs, voices, animation and music, they won't realize how shitty my writing and characters are!"

• Thumbs Up 6