Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Gee, why all the negativity? I mean, clearly Ken knows background music and how to use it as effectively as possible. I mean, check out his The Lost Ones trailer!

No thanks. I've made it a rule not to watch crappy trailers that look worse than what someone in their first year of a film class could make.

Gee, why all the negativity? I mean, clearly Ken knows background music and how to use it as effectively as possible. I mean, check out his The Lost Ones trailer!

You mean the track he ripped from the Iron Man soundtrack?

Edited by The Tenth Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 7

You mean the track he ripped from the Iron Man soundtrack?

But, remember, it's totally OK when he does it. Penders gets creators' rights and understands their importance. Cuz Jack Kirby.

Even better, the first bit of music? Ripped directly from the trailer to Watchmen. 

And let me just say, the transitioning from THAT bit of music (The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning, by Smashing Pumpkins), to the Iron Man music? Is really, really lousy. Which is par the course, but still.

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 9

''Every detail matters''

Yes Penders. That's exactly why you looked at the CGI models, deemed that they weren't very good, but still went ahead and released them, and defended them for so long.  

When did he ever deem that they weren't very good? 

When did he ever deem that anything he had a hand in wasn't very good, for that matter? 

Edited by KingScoopaKoopa
  • Thumbs Up 1

When did he ever deem that they weren't very good? 

When did he ever deem that anything he had a hand in wasn't very good, for that matter? 

He deemed that he knew there was issues but because of ''how hard those programs are'', he understands the reason why it's shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

He deemed that he knew there was issues but because of ''how hard those programs are'', he understands the reason why it's shit.

If the programs are too hard for him, he should probably pursue a new line of work.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the programs are too hard for him, he should probably pursue a new line of work.

Penders didn't make the models, it was some other guy who Penders hired who made them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what happened was that Pen defended the models on the grounds that the modeller (whose name escapes me, sorry) 1) did exactly what he wanted, and 2) because he knew the modeller was working with limited resources. That's not really him acknowledging them as shit, that's just him acknowledging technical limitations, and to his credit, he hasn't just shoved all blame on the modeller (far as I'm aware).

Now, what he hasn't acknowledged, and these are all the things that people have offered valid criticism on, which he ignores, are the fundamental problems with the models themselves, including: bad design choices/aesthetics, questionable anatomy, his inability/refusal to drop the connection to Sonic, and the use of background images taken from a Google search and are more than likely not subject to fair use.

Honestly, that seems par for the course.

I think what happened was that Pen defended the models on the grounds that the modeller (whose name escapes me, sorry) 1) did exactly what he wanted, and 2) because he knew the modeller was working with limited resources. That's not really him acknowledging them as shit, that's just him acknowledging technical limitations, and to his credit, he hasn't just shoved all blame on the modeller (far as I'm aware).

Now, what he hasn't acknowledged, and these are all the things that people have offered valid criticism on, which he ignores, are the fundamental problems with the models themselves, including: bad design choices/aesthetics, questionable anatomy, his inability/refusal to drop the connection to Sonic, and the use of background images taken from a Google search and are more than likely not subject to fair use.

Honestly, that seems par for the course.

Oooh yes. I can still remember his excuse for the many, many complaints about everything that was wrong with the Lien-Da model, about how it was ugly, ill-formed, ill-lighted and suffering from major league Uncanny Valley; that it was SUPPOSED to look that way because she's the villain and thus is 'meant to be creepy looking'. 

Eeeyup. Rather than try and take any of the criticsm into account, he just... shoved it under a rug and hoped no-one would notice. Sufficed to say, it didn't work.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gotta give the guy credit though.  I would've never been able to make so many excuses for all the poor choices he's made and still stick to my guns on them.  And he's been defending himself from irate comic fans day in, day out since the lawsuit came to its bitter end, so I don't think he's been given a lot of time to make defences about, well every decision he's made so far with endeavour.

As for the music thing, I personally like to hum, or imagine music playing.  Makes comics more fun to read in my opinion, but I'd never want actual music playing.  That's just going to ruin the reading experience than improve it.  However since Penders loves the idea of making his fanfi - oh, sorry, graphic novel a television series, it doesn't surprise me he's trying to make it feel like a television series.  Only problem is that there's a reason why no big publisher really does that...

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I actually like the music idea. I mean, as long as it was used sparingly, and instead of automatically playing it'd be like "hey, if you want, listen to this song / score to go along with this scene!" or something. Even if it doesn't really match up well, it wouldn't be that big a deal to just turn it back off and ignore it.

Whether or not this is actually how Ken would handle it...I honestly don't know. But I guess we'll find out, if LSC ever actually comes out and assuming none of these ideas he's thrown around are scrapped.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oooh yes. I can still remember his excuse for the many, many complaints about everything that was wrong with the Lien-Da model, about how it was ugly, ill-formed, ill-lighted and suffering from major league Uncanny Valley; that it was SUPPOSED to look that way because she's the villain and thus is 'meant to be creepy looking'. 

Eeeyup. Rather than try and take any of the criticsm into account, he just... shoved it under a rug and hoped no-one would notice. Sufficed to say, it didn't work.

It's funny because he actually did go and have the Lien-Da model changed later. So apparently something of the criticism actually got through with him and he changed it without a single word.

It's probably because Dawn Best told him it wasn't good.

• Thumbs Up 3

News : I've seen page 2 of The Lara-Su Chronicles (not the Storm, I really mean the main story)... not page 1 is apparently just the title and narrative set-up.
It's a full panel.

• Thumbs Up 2

The shocking bit is that he's made two pages for it. I was really under the impression that he wasn't going to start that until after the Storm. 

News : I've seen page 2 of The Lara-Su Chronicles (not the Storm, I really mean the main story)... not page 1 is apparently just the title and narrative set-up.
It's a full panel.

W O W ! He's actually working on it!

It feels a bit perverse that I'm extremely interested in what the book will be, even though (well, really more because) it's practically guaranteed to be really lame and bad.

The shocking bit is that he's made two pages for it. I was really under the impression that he wasn't going to start that until after the Storm. 

This could mean he stopped one project and started another, which sounds a bit more like something a person like him might do =P

• Thumbs Up 1

W O W ! He's actually working on it!

It feels a bit perverse that I'm extremely interested in what the book will be, even though (well, really more because) it's practically guaranteed to be really lame and bad.

This could mean he stopped one project and started another, which sounds a bit more like something a person like him might do =P

Considering it's been what? 3, or 4 years since he was supposed to release this, having two pages complete isn't exactly a huge milestone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering it's been what? 3, or 4 years since he was supposed to release this, having two pages complete isn't exactly a huge milestone.

Two complete pages for two separate stories at that...

Actually, I'm a little surprised he's not just sending his translator(s) copies of the script since that seems better than sending them a page... whenever. Then he can just input their translations as he finishes the pages.

I mean, I'm willing to admit I'm pretty slow, so I'm not dogging on Penders too much for that... I just want it out so I feel like something came out of this stupid legal nonsense, even if it's the worst thing ever. This just feels like he's sitting on copyrights until someone jumps to license from him.

It has arrived... and the shading is still off. 

EDIT: Also why is there a line at the top of the page where the space background suddenly has a blue tint and no nebula looking thing?

Edited by therealfalconpawnch77
  • Thumbs Up 4

The dude doesn't look like he was drawn so much as he was a picture Penders got off of Google images and pasted onto the page,

Vice Versa most likely. Also I just noticed this, but while he says this is the first story page, it opens with dialogue that seems to be continuing from something else. That's really confusing.

He said it's page two of the print edition, Might be a page/print error?

And geez that shading is totally off. The helmet is too bright, we can see his face slightly (which is slightly creepy and probably photoshopped) 

Is that a planet, or an ocean?

The dialouge is slightly confusing in the end...

Also, just when you thought that was page two of the prelude The Storm.

I still find it amusing that Penders consistently gets worse at using stock images every single time we see something new out of him. I mean for fuck's sake it looks like the ground straight up cuts off right at the bottom of the page, it's that bad.

Also it took me a moment to figure out but his inner suit doesn't really look like a suit, at first it looked more like he had some kind of metal mesh around his neck and it looked legit painful, like he'd get impaled if he made any sudden moves.

China-Expanded-Metal-Mesh-Screen.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3