Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

You know, he's right. They should make a film based off the Sonic comics. Might be good. With stories like Treasure Team Tango, Eggman Empire and maybe even World's Collide. Wait...those are actually good stories. Are you talking about your Ken? Oh sorry, it can't work there. Sorry, hands are tied. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Actually, for once, Penders has a great idea I can agree with.

I'd LOVE the Archie comics to be animated or made into a movie...Post-252 that is. Much as I love the old stuff before the Second Genesis Wave, they should stay the hell away from that if only to avoid Penders mucking things up for them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uhhh, did I miss something there?

I'd agree with his sentiment if the Archie Comic series were actually as widespread in influence and popularity as the competition like DC and Marvel that usually warrant a movie adaptation.

....That said,  I agree that the comic series going off of awesomeness alone,  might be worth a shot. Inclusion of the cast,  but not too much of the established lore, to avoid confusing non-comic  fans  sounds plausible. 

Edited by Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know, he's right. They should make a film based off the Sonic comics. Might be good. With stories like Treasure Team Tango, Eggman Empire and maybe even World's Collide. Wait...those are actually good stories. Are you talking about your Ken? Oh sorry, it can't work there. Sorry, hands are tied. 

Actually, for once, Penders has a great idea I can agree with.

I'd LOVE the Archie comics to be animated or made into a movie...Post-252 that is. Much as I love the old stuff before the Second Genesis Wave, they should stay the hell away from that if only to avoid Penders mucking things up for them.

I'd agree with his sentiment of the Archie Comic series were actually as widespread in influence and popularity as the competition like DC and Marvel that usually warrant a movie adaptation.

....That said,  I agree that the comic series going off of awesomeness alone,  might be worth a shot. Inclusion of the cast,  but not too much of the established lore, to avoid confusing non-comic  fans  sounds plausible. 

He's stated before that he expects Archie/Sega to come crawling to him to allow them to do a EndGame Movie Adaption. When he says this, he most definitely wants to based on that shit stain of a storyline.

• Thumbs Up 3

He's stated before that he expects Archie/Sega to come crawling to him to allow them to do a EndGame Movie Adaption. When he says this, he most definitely wants to based on that shit stain of a storyline.

Well isn't EndGame a rip off of some stories already? They'd be sued faster than Sonic getting to a chilli dog stand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well isn't EndGame a rip off of some stories already? They'd be sued faster than Sonic getting to a chilli dog stand.

Not a rip off (Unless you count the plot point about Sonic being framed, which occurred in Mecha Madness). But the story is a terrible, plot hole ridden boring mess of a plotline that didn't work as a comic, won't work as a movie, and wouldn't work in any medium whatsoever.

I thought a lot was ripped off of The Fugitive. A guy is wrongly convicted of murder, he escapes the transport to prison through strange circumstances and he escapes the psycho chasing him by jumping off a waterfall. Heck there is a rip off of Con Air during the plane ride. I'm sure there's more, those are the ones I remember immediately.

• Thumbs Up 5

Or the fact that this plot was used THREE times before in the comic, first with PSeudo Sonic, second with the Anti-Freedom Fighters framing Sonic and co, and the third time being when Sonic had amnesia and was tricked into evil by Robotnik. 

Four times, you forgot Mecha Madness and Ant's attempts to make it look like Sonic purposely got himself robotized.

• Thumbs Up 3

Four times, you forgot Mecha Madness and Ant's attempts to make it look like Sonic purposely got himself robotized.

D'oh, that's right. In fact, I think somebody pointed out that Mecha Madness had already done the frame up bit not too long before Endgame and he basically excused himself by claiming there was 'no way' for him to keep track of the others' work for... really vague reasons. 

Either way though, yeah... the more you look at Endgame, the less sense it makes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You're hardly alone there. Notable is the fact that it makes her head seem disproportionately larger than Sally's despite them sharing the same body type, to say nothing of the fact she now shares identical facial features to Knux. But hey, why stop there? Let's look at some of the OTHER errors!

-Lien-Da's foot looks like a failed attempt at drawing a rabbit foot. 

-Sally's eye is completely obliterated.

-He's forgotten to add lines in two places and in doing so, has essentially merged Sally's arm, jacket and hair into a single entity, and thanks to a straying line she now looks like she has a double chin. 

-Sally's *toes* are overlapping here. 

This is pretty damn shoddy, even for a freebie sketch. Nice to know what purchasing 25$ worth of Sonic stuff from the guy will get you, and how much he appreciates your efforts towards fattening his wallet, eh?

Well, at least we can say it's not the worst Lien-Da has been drawn - *thinks about designs for LSC*... 

3b6.gif

...Stuff of nightmares!

That said, and talking so much about movies, I still would like to see Ken Penders doing a movie, and writing and directing it. Most probably not Sonic related, of course, but I bet it would be the best unintended comedy ever, and I love those quite a bit.

Only one forced rule, though: He has to actually release it when the time comes (Either a deadline or he ended it somehow in time). No buts, no excuses.

What do you think he would write about? A Star Trek rip-off? The Lost Ones? Lara-Su? Kendiana Jones and the Creator's Rights Crusade/Temple of Retcons?

Umm, how about no... The last thing the Sonic Franchise needs at this point is 20 plus new characters crammed into a 60 to 75 minute long low budget CGI movie containing about 4 to 5 percent of content that actually has anything to do with the games if we do follow one of your comic plots. 

The current setting could.. maybe.. work if the story still didn't require over half of the movie being devoted to explaining characters more then two thirds of the audience wouldn't give two cents about. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just jaded after weeping my way through a Smurfs movie, a Garfield move and seeing the trailer for Yogi Bear which side lined the actual character people came to see in favor of someone that had nothing to do with the franchise they knew.

Looking at his Twitter...

...Please, someone tell me I'm not the only one that sees a Knuckles head over a female's body with eyelashes. And their bodies are too... woman-like, maybe? I know he hs drawn this type of body in the comics more than once, and while I usually have no problem with designs like this, I'll never get used to them when they are related to Sonic.

I don't actually see Knuckles head here, it looks more like a male characters which granted will make on think of Knuckles... Is Sally's hair fused into her shoulder? What the Hay happed to her face, it's like a fusion of Tails face and Knuckles eyes design with a human chin... Back to Julie-Su, the design makes her head look twice as big as Sally's but the body is, to sit like that with her butt resting on top of her legs her lower spine needs to be twisted in a 45 degree angle, her feet are shockingly small compared to her body and has three toes versus her four fingers on each hand.

I note Sally's boots are smaller then her feet and Julie-Su's are larger in length yet narrower then the width of her feet, wearing those must hurt a lot.

On a final note, is the foot of Julie-Su's chair floating above the ground line?

Edited by Idon'tcare
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thinking about an Archie Sonic movie, doesn't DC do a fair few direct-to-DVD animated features for its superhero cast?  Assuming the money and audience were available - and I'd say at least one of them isn't, but it's just a thought experiment - then I think that format might work.  A mainstream cinema release would be right out, of course, but it's interesting to think about the possibilities.  After all, that's pretty much all Ken Penders seems to do all day.

I'd love a direct to DVD animated movie based on the comic.  A lot of the animated DC movies so far have ended up being better than the live action stuff, and are a little more digestable than the source material comics. So who knows, maybe if they DID use some of Ken's stories, someone could actually turn it into something that isn't a head scratching mess... of course best case scenario is they make an original story that takes place far away from the Pendersverse. Maybe a story that took place in the same timeline as 252, but before the events of 252, if that makes any sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

>Basically the thing I've been wanting to replace the archives series for a while now.

I'd rather see an animated series than just movies though, it's too confined having to rexplain what happens in canon every time. For some reason, hoping and imagining this makes me really want to go watch one of the Avatar series'.

So you guys remember how Ken tried to set up Dr. Droid from Lost Ones as an antagonist in the Sonic books? Apparently, Ken still doesn't know if he wants him to show up in LSC, but "left himself some room where others are concerned, but plotted out the 'major characters' plots already".

So apparently, the whole reason that Locke experimented on himself (which gave him Future Cancer in 25YL) and Knuckles, and thus screwing Knuckles' childhood, isn't a "major player". It's still unclear if Droid would have served as the Robotnik replacement in the new canon, but I still wouldn't put it past Ken to actually use "Robo-Robotnik" in the final product, even if it was just backstory.

And apparently the Nanite City from 152 was part of the setup to the Eggman/Dark Legion War... somehow.

You know, the one where a bunch of tecno-schlubs who barely have any menace to Knuckles and Angel Island would have "eaten Eggman for breakfast", because of... reasons?

Interesting. Particularly since, when revealing his unused ideas for the comic, he never once hinted at any kind of Dark Legion-Robotnik War. Seems odd that a rather major concept like that would go umentioned. But then, in frankness, whenever he talks about his 'big ideas', I no longer really believe that he actually planned that far ahead. And for the record, Ken, 'few people realized' it because you didn't do sqat to hint at it. 

Given his past statements about the Legion and Eggman, this proposed 'War' would be just a masturbatory exercise in self-indulgence for the guy, a way for him to once more to put his creations at the forefront at the expense of everything else in the comic. To say nothing of it being a rather big 'Fuck You' to Karl Bollers, given that he sort of made it clear that the Legion never could take on Robotnik the way Ken feels they should be able to. 

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, I think the people obsessed with turning themselves part-robot would have gotten along pretty well with the guy who likes turning people into robots. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the two of them to team up-- OH WAIT

I'm confused here, didn't Eggman/Adam create the nanite city? How the heck would the army of Knuckles recolors be able to use that against Eggman... Sorry, Robotnik

This is just as confusing as the three month gap when the comic kept proclaiming the enslaved Mecha-Sally as the greatest evil on the planet in the intro right after Eggman rewrote reality and tried to commit global genocide for the third time just because he could.

Ken's wonder losers whose plans have all failed thanks to poor planning, bad leadership or ants would have gone up against a guy who has of indiscriminate use of WMDs and a record of actually winning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgive my ignorance, but were the Dark Legion ever shown to actually be technologically superior to Eggman? Because if not, I can't really see what other advantage they'd have in any way over Eggman...

• Thumbs Up 4

They have the awesome advantage of being created by Ken Penders, of course!

In seriousness, though, that's a really good question...and having not read much of the Knuckles comics, I'm not the person to answer it. But from what I know, the DL can create bionic implants - so can Eggman (even before the DEL / Egg Army, there was General Kage, and while it was disabled and not his creation, roboticization is basically an even better version of it in many ways). They can create robots that look exactly like people (Benedict) - so can Eggman (the Auto Automatons). I just flipped over to Mobius Encyclopaedia to see what else was listed...well, they have energy blasters and vehicles - so does Eggman (well duh). They've occasionally been shown in control of Mechanauts which are basically...Swatbots (don't really need to comment on that one, do I?). The only other thing listed are fire swords and ice blasters used while the legion was divided, and I'm pretty sure Penders had nothing to do with those anyway.

Interestingly enough, the Mobius Encyclopaedia does say that "The Dark Legion's understanding of technology is on par with, if not superior to, Dr. Eggman's" at the start of the section talking about their implants, but it doesn't really say how, give examples, or even give a source. Of course, I wouldn't be shocked if Penders insinuated that in some comic, meaning it would technically be "canon" to the old universe.

...Honestly as far as I can tell they have no advantage, but feel free to illuminate me if I'm missing something, since like I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable.

• Thumbs Up 1

They were only 'superior' because Penders said so. That was the case with most of the Echidna tech, given that they didn't have anything that Robotnik or Eggman didn't already have. Flying saucers, tank, robots, bionics, guns? Already covered with round boy. About the only distinct bit of technology that they had was the zone portal technology, and even THAT only worked under certain circumstances, namely when the zone barriers were weak. As such, the claims of technological superiority are only due to out of universe statements rather than in-universe ones. Bollers in fact showed what would happen when Eggman really DID invade ANgel Island; he promptly flattened it, and the Dark Legion was forced underground to become a resistance movement. They never had what it took to take Robotnik head on, beyond being the Author's Favorites. 

Naturally, Penders tried to immediately reverse all the incredibly extensive damage that Eggman did to Angel Island and make it seem like no big deal, and likely would have come up with some cockamanie explanation for why the Legion didn't 'eat him for breakfast' as he so often boasted. 

Frankly, the entire thing is an exercise in one of Penders' greatest flaws as a writer; he's the master of telling rather than showing. He TALKS about the Legion being superior and has other characters TALK about how cutting edge the Brotherhood's stuff is, but we never SEE how this is a fact or demonstrated within the story. Things progress in stories by him largely due to the fact that he wills it so, and expects readers to go along with his decisions without question. No matter how little logical sense any of it makes. 

• Thumbs Up 2