Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Let me guess. He only considers it a "valued asset" to the franchise solely because he was a part of it right?

Truly his ego has no off-switch. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Pretty much, yeah. He's made it very clear that he never read up on what his co-workers were making, treats their contributions as an afterthought, and repeatedly makes a point about the value of *his* name and his alone. He only ever really brings up the others when it benefits him in some way. 

2 hours ago, horridus said:

If Penders was able to handle his critics with any kind of grace, this thread wouldn't exist, let alone be as long lasting as it has been. That's a pretty damn big escalation right there, and not a surprising one though. One of his favorite tactics, after all; conflating a dislike or criticism of him personally as being about everyone else, rather than him and him alone. 

Also, we have a fellow trying to explain that pre-252 is no longer canon... Penders has taken the opportunity to remind us that, yet again, "Everything Is Canon" with regards to LSC. 

Truly, Penders' generosity is boundless. 

While the man seems oblivious towards his own ego, you'd think he'd at least have the foresight to not perpetuate it by always insisting on capitalizing every single letter in the title of his series each time he types it out. Imagining his hand on the shift key whenever it's time to name drop his magnum opus is a little amusing but come on.

Frankly, I am more than happy to let go of the Old Universe by pure virtue of spiting Penders, and making sure his filth never infects the Sonic franchise ever again.

The old universe wasn't doing much for me in the first place. I was actually one of the few people who enjoyed it when Thrash showed up to stir things up and finally take the story in a direction that felt like it was advancing and changing something rather then finding excuses to spin its wheels yet again. Of course, the way that panned out in the end was interrupted by the Genesis Wave so it ultimately led to nothing but the feeling behind it was still there. I still have respect for it. 

Penders doesn't get/refuse to get that his LSC crap is nothing more than glorified fanfiction. The main reason, at least to me, he's bothered by Archie deeming pre-252 non-canon because it's cutting his cash-flow.

Is this thing's first issue even in production yet? It doesn't seem like this has amounted to much more then really warped, 3-D fan-art at the moment. 

It's a graphic novel series, not a standard comic.  Full graphic novels tend to take a while to produce, especially compared to short comics, and Ken's also been slowed down with personal issues.

1 hour ago, Tylinos said:

It's a graphic novel series, not a standard comic.  Full graphic novels tend to take a while to produce, especially compared to short comics, and Ken's also been slowed down with personal issues.

I already knew that it wasn't going to be a standard comic but hearing that he went with a graphic novel format is a bit of a surprise. I figured it was going to just be a web based thing instead. Although, I figured with how long it's been it didn't really matter what it was at this point. Whatever these personal issues are, they must be tying him in knots. 

He's been "working" on this damned thing forever. I know lazy webcomic artists and update extremely infrequently to show more within the same timespan than Penders has.

4 hours ago, horridus said:

Also, we have a fellow trying to explain that pre-252 is no longer canon... Penders has taken the opportunity to remind us that, yet again, "Everything Is Canon" with regards to LSC. 

Truly, Penders' generosity is boundless. 

To Ken Penders: O RLY GOOD SIR? So does that mean all of the works by other writers other than yourself, including your hated rival/person you dislike Karl Bollers was ALSO canon? How generous of you to admit that the Dark Legion were total losers who would get flattened by Eggman if he ever gave a crap, and how your rival/person you dislike was a better writer than you ever were even when he wasn't that good with Sonic :D!

Btw, it WAS Karl Bollers who wrote the part about the Dark Legion getting flattened by Eggman right? Just wanna be sure I'm accurate.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mandating that the old universe is no longer canon just helps to keep things from being confusing. I know Penders loved over-complicating things but he's not here any more so he really should let it be.

Although, they're only really doing it because they don't want to be subservient to Penders by having to ask his permission about what concepts and characters they're allowed to use and how they should use them. You're goddamn right they're gonna scrap that shit and go for something else in that case. 

I saw his reply to myself and Jason just now. Decided to try point out that his 'continuation' doesn't have ANY of the licenced official characters or locations. Futile I know. Was kind enough to say his fans will no doubt enjoy it but being that it's not Sonic, it's not licenced or official, and doesn't have the main character's that fans of the Sega Sonic franchise enjoy reading about, that he shouldn't really be trying to tie it to something it clearly isn't.

8 hours ago, DarkLight said:

Let me guess. He only considers it a "valued asset" to the franchise solely because he was a part of it right?

Truly his ego has no off-switch. 

It's like it's solar powered, yet can run in the dark.

(Yes, yes, I know: storage batteries. Don't ruin the joke. ;P )

7 hours ago, Tylinos said:

That, and he's not entirely focused on the graphic novel itself either; he keeps mentioning other projects like The Republic and that Lost Ones movie, as well as the oft mentioned but never yet to be seen App which he claims will blow away what DC and Marvel have to offer, and the assorted other bits and pieces of crap meant to tie in with the thus far stillborn LSC franchise. 

6 hours ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

To Ken Penders: O RLY GOOD SIR? So does that mean all of the works by other writers other than yourself, including your hated rival/person you dislike Karl Bollers was ALSO canon? How generous of you to admit that the Dark Legion were total losers who would get flattened by Eggman if he ever gave a crap, and how your rival/person you dislike was a better writer than you ever were even when he wasn't that good with Sonic :D!

Btw, it WAS Karl Bollers who wrote the part about the Dark Legion getting flattened by Eggman right? Just wanna be sure I'm accurate.

Yeah, it was Karl Bollers. Return to Angel Island was the story, and the moment that Bollers left he already tried to downplay the damage and restore the status quo by having the Echidna rapidly repair the damage despite the fact that their city was literally burned to the ground. It kind of goes to highlight how truly disengenous his claims of 'everything being in continuity' is, given that he doesn't care for what the others wrote and actively hated what Bollers did in the REturn to Angel Island arc. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Mandating that the old universe is no longer canon just helps to keep things from being confusing. I know Penders loved over-complicating things but he's not here any more so he really should let it be.

Although, they're only really doing it because they don't want to be subservient to Penders by having to ask his permission about what concepts and characters they're allowed to use and how they should use them. You're goddamn right they're gonna scrap that shit and go for something else in that case. 

Technically, according to him there are only a 'few' characters where permission or oversight would be needed; Julie-Su and especially Locke, and furthermore the future that he wrote for the series in 25YL would have to be the 'canon' future. Given that this is something he, and only he desires, and the fact that it simply does not align with what SEGA wants from the comic, combined with the fact he assuredly is not a 'reasonable' guy like he claims, there just isn't any advantage to any of it. To say nothing of the fact that in order for his 'agreement' to work, he would need to become a co-copyright holder on the book, something that explicitly violates Archie's contract with SEGA. Not that he ever brings up THAT part whenver the subject comes up. 

5 hours ago, Tenko said:

I saw his reply to myself and Jason just now. Decided to try point out that his 'continuation' doesn't have ANY of the licenced official characters or locations. Futile I know. Was kind enough to say his fans will no doubt enjoy it but being that it's not Sonic, it's not licenced or official, and doesn't have the main character's that fans of the Sega Sonic franchise enjoy reading about, that he shouldn't really be trying to tie it to something it clearly isn't.

Nor will it include any of the characters created by the other contributors on the book, and in one particular case he has already created a character to fill in for Athair, Auri-On. For all his hemming and hawing about it being 'in continuity', there's not a thing from the past continuity that he cares about beyond what he and he alone made, and even that has been altered; namely that Sojourner is no longer a vegetable, for some reason, and now Janelle-Li is merely in stasis rather than dead. His excuse for it all? "Time Ripples". It's a naked attempt to ride the coat tails of a book that he no longer has any role on or any relevance towards, while doing everything in his power to justify why it's still canon somehow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/693650255556923393
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/693650773385719813

This string of tweets actually started off really promising.  It seemed like Ken finally got the point somewhere, and was saying that it's a good thing that Archie's using the familiar elements from the games as a starting point to build new things off of.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/693651388157460480
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/693651923434508288

...And then he pulled a left turn on us and revealed he was really saying that SatAM and Archie should be the familiar starting point to build new things off of for the games.

Just...no.  Ken, what?  Since when have SatAM and Archie been the parts of Sonic that are the familiar point to the masses?  Even when both were in their prime, the games were still way more widely-known.

I just seriously don't get his recent obsession with talking about how he knows what's best for branding the Sonic franchise.  Yes, I know, he always tends to talk like he knows what's best for the series.  It's the specific recent obsession about the whole franchise I don't get.  It just seemed to come up because he was linked to an Honest Trailers video on Sonic.

(On a side note, what's with that guy Ken tweeted to right before this, who claimed Ken tried to give Archie the rights to his characters, but that Archie rejected them?  That never happened.  Ken's even said it would never happen.  Is Ken's misinformation train seriously working on some people?  That's...kind of unfortunate.)

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

I just seriously don't get his recent obsession with talking about how he knows what's best for branding the Sonic franchise.  Yes, I know, he always tends to talk like he knows what's best for the series.  It's the specific recent obsession about the whole franchise I don't get.  It just seemed to come up because he was linked to an Honest Trailers video on Sonic.

He's probably just trying to keep himself in the spotlight for as long as he can. Let's face it, with how damn slowly he's been working on TLSC most people have probably forgotten he even exists or just don't care anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

In fairness on one part, I don't think he ever planned to have Robotnik permanently die in Issue 21.  It was 50 where he planned for him to die for good.  21 was just setup for the Robo-Robotnik stuff in 22.

1 minute ago, Tylinos said:

In fairness on one part, I don't think he ever planned to have Robotnik permanently die in Issue 21.  It was 50 where he planned for him to die for good.  21 was just setup for the Robo-Robotnik stuff in 22.

I recall him mentioning SEGA pitching a fit and having to do a bit of fast talking to promise that Robotnik would be back by the next issue. Given his statements about the importance of the Dark Legion and the later 'Dr. Droid' nonsense, I'm fairly certain that it WAS an attempt to write the guy out of the picture, given that him being back the next issue evidently wasn't part of the plan. Which mind you still leaves the fact that he still trumps his own creations over the primary villain of the franchise and got pissy specifically because Bollers had the Legion steamrolled by Eggman, and then at Flynn for making them subservient to the guy. There's a pretty severe pattern of disrespect present with this guy.

Yeah, and Sony did the smart thing by basing the Spider-Man movies off his appearances on The Electric Company.

• Thumbs Up 6

And frankly, he's talking out of his ass whenever he brings up Satam. Between his sordid history with Ben Hurst and the actual content of his work on the book, he ignored SatAM as much as he had ignored the games, and eagerly tried to supplant characters from the show; he tried to permakill Robotnik in issue 21, has talked about how he considered killing off Rotor and Antoine, gave several conflicting reasons for why Sally HAD to die (including because she was 'Cramping Sonic's Style), turned King Acorn into a douchewad, and his 'big plan' for a Sonic movie involved Mobius blowing up. All the stuff he put into Knuckles? Stuff that was planned for Sonic initially.

Reading this, I get the feeling that he was trying to turn the comic into a completely different thing and had intended to do so from the moment he stepped into his Archie office space. Killing off most of the cast, rewriting the main character and chucking out all the source material, geez, if Archie hadn't been run as stupidly as it was doing the nineties and early 2000s my bet is he would have been tossed out the instant he started talking about offing Robotnik for good.

This man was patently uninterested in actually working with the material he was given, from either the games OR the show, and was far more fascinated in hijaking the comic for his own ends. Any time he talks about caring about Sonic or SatAM or any of that? It's all fluff. He never gave a shit, and never would. In the end it's all about three people; him, himself and he. 

Uhh, how did someone like him get to stay employed for so long, I know SEGA and Archie didn't give much of a care but you'd think that SEGA would have been rising more protests over an employee who didn't give two fucks about the Sonic material...

I recall him mentioning SEGA pitching a fit and having to do a bit of fast talking to promise that Robotnik would be back by the next issue. Given his statements about the importance of the Dark Legion and the later 'Dr. Droid' nonsense, I'm fairly certain that it WAS an attempt to write the guy out of the picture, given that him being back the next issue evidently wasn't part of the plan. Which mind you still leaves the fact that he still trumps his own creations over the primary villain of the franchise and got pissy specifically because Bollers had the Legion steamrolled by Eggman, and then at Flynn for making them subservient to the guy. There's a pretty severe pattern of disrespect present with this guy.

Hmm, seems he was for a José Roberto Pereira scheme by plotting to have his original characters kill off everyone in the comic so it could be all about the much disappointing Lara-Su, wonder kid from the future. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Idon'tcare said:

Reading this, I get the feeling that he was trying to turn the comic into a completely different thing and had intended to do so from the moment he stepped into his Archie office space. Killing off most of the cast, rewriting the main character and chucking out all the source material, geez, if Archie hadn't been run as stupidly as it was doing the nineties and early 2000s my bet is he would have been tossed out the instant he started talking about offing Robotnik for good.

Probably, although in the early days he was a lot more restrained, but after some point he just got a lot more freedom than usual and his negative traits just got more exacerbated to the point it became what it is now.

Uhh, how did someone like him get to stay employed for so long, I know SEGA and Archie didn't give much of a care but you'd think that SEGA would have been rising more protests over an employee who didn't give two fucks about the Sonic material...

It was in part due to the editor at the time. The guy REALLY did not do his job, so Penders got more freedom than he should have.

Hmm, seems he was for a José Roberto Pereira scheme by plotting to have his original characters kill off everyone in the comic so it could be all about the much disappointing Lara-Su, wonder kid from the future. 

Like I said, probably.

My thoughts in bold.

So last time I made a valid point about his comments he used it as a weird segway into why people should buy his upcoming series, which i then questioned due to it having nothing to do with Sonic, which he promptly ignored.

I'm now trying to point out his flawed logic against his very own words with this movie debate. I'll bet he ignores it. The guy doesn't like replying to me for long. I remember once on his forum he called it "picking his battles" when I asked why he doesn't always respond to me but gleefully replies to all the others that he can combat better.

• Thumbs Up 7